• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart DS - Catch All Thread

I had a dream last night... I am not kidding about this: I dreamt that I bought a DS and Mario Kart, and the that the graphics were better than the Game Cube. There was a course where you were racing across the ocean, yes, on the carts, and it was like Wave Race but with much bigger waves. And the water was translucent and looked perfect, and there were fish swimming around that had these big eyes and smiley faces.

And ever since that dream, I've been wanting to buy a DS + MK, even though I may be disappointed by the way the real game looks.

rod

Banned
Error Macro said:
I had a dream last night... I am not kidding about this: I dreamt that I bought a DS and Mario Kart, and the that the graphics were better than the Game Cube. There was a course where you were racing across the ocean, yes, on the carts, and it was like Wave Race but with much bigger waves. And the water was translucent and looked perfect, and there were fish swimming around that had these big eyes and smiley faces.

And ever since that dream, I've been wanting to buy a DS + MK, even though I may be disappointed by the way the real game looks.

buy it anyway

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Graphics are sharp, fluid and colorful It looks good, there is nothing wrong with it. Plus it's the bes mario kart ever. You won't be disappointed.

rod

Banned
i have added gazunta stryder scrow hirokazu and radioheadrule83 and have PM'd all of you :)
elostyle and mejilan check PM

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I must say that the graphics blow me away becuase I thought this game look like shite on pictures, they are actullay sharp and great for a DS.

Someone mentioned the Missions earlier, so just for the record…

There are seven levels in all. Level 7 opens once you get at least a 1-Star rating on Levels 1-6. You get nothing for completing Level 7, even if you get a 1-Star rating.
I guess it's kinda worth it to race against Wiggler but you don't get anything bonus karts/characters for your trouble.

ninge

sooo.. is it just me or do people quit out when they are losing online ALL THE FUCKING TIME?!?! it's really annoying.. do they get punished for that? or is this the most stupid way to avoid getting a loss ever?

It's really starting to piss me off now...

Jonnyram

Japanese TV commercials here:
http://touch-ds.jp/mediagallery/st23.html

The second one is particularly funny because the pasta that comes is the same as the items they get (i.e. mushroom then squid). It reminded me of me, DCharlie and Cormacaroni playing in a restaurant at lunchtime last week... "dude, just put the food over there, thanks".

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
ninge said:
sooo.. is it just me or do people quit out when they are losing online ALL THE FUCKING TIME?!?! it's really annoying.. do they get punished for that? or is this the most stupid way to avoid getting a loss ever?

It's really starting to piss me off now...

haha, yeah they do. but you do get a win for it. when I first got online (immediately after buying the game) I hopped on line and got slapped down by about 5 different ROB's I took my hidings like a man though, now I have a bit better skill (thanks to some races with biodegradablebean or whatever) and some single player and I dished out a few beatdowns to some ROB losers that dropped as soon as my win was inevitable.

Jerks, I lost the first race due to blue shell robbery of absolutely the worst kind (last corner and the 2 others were just far enough behind me to miss the explosion and then fly past and win before I could recover). Then I schooled them both on the next 2 rounds. 1 dropped out before the 3rd race and the other guy dropped on the second lap of the 4th. I somehow only got 1 win for it though. what's the deal there?

My understanding of the stats was if I come first in a 3 person race, I get 2 wins, is this not true? So far my stats are 3 wins and 7 losses. 4 of those from being a total newb without even beating 50cc though.

ninge

can't say that i have figured out how the scoring works.. i'm currently 20 wins for 8 losses tho.. but considering the number of people that have quit on me thats not that impressive

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
catfish said:
Jerks, I lost the first race due to blue shell robbery of absolutely the worst kind (last corner and the 2 others were just far enough behind me to miss the explosion and then fly past and win before I could recover). Then I schooled them both on the next 2 rounds. 1 dropped out before the 3rd race and the other guy dropped on the second lap of the 4th. I somehow only got 1 win for it though. what's the deal there?
When you race against one other person and they drop before finishing all four races you don't get a win. If you're racing against two other racers and one of them drops* but the other doesn't then you'll get one win but if the second guy doesn't finish the fourth race then you won't get a win for beating him.

*Note: I think you have to be beating him by a large enough margin for it to impossible for him to beat you if he did finish all four races but I'm not sure since it's only happened once to me and I didn't pay attention.

Waku

I added every European Gaffer on demis List. Hope to get some Games on tonight.

Friend code is
236283 164105

ninge

oh cool - will do the same and add you then :)

edit: added all the European GAF list - my code is 382312 198169 so add me!

PkunkFury

You get a win for each person you placed in front of at the end of the four match set. If somebody drops, they are considered last place, thus no matter what you rank you are considered to be in front of them and you get a win as long as you finished all four matches. You get a lose for each person who finished in front of you at the end of the four match set, and if you drop you are considred last, so you get a lose for each other person you were racing at the time of the drop (dropping is a bad idea). It doesn't matter if the droppers score is close to the other racer's or not.

The only time this doesn't work for figuring out scores is when everyone drops except one racer. I'm not sure if any points are awarded in this situation or not, as I've never seen it happen.

And ROB is not some sort of uber-cheap racer, his stats are balanced just like every other character. He seems cheap because he has max speed ( a la Bowser) and decenet accleration, but he makes up for that with terrible handling and drift. He is no cheaper than Dry-Bones, who is just as specialized, only in different areas (handling/acceleration), and of course other characters (Mario) sacrafice that specialization for better average performance in all stats. If you are good at racing you will be able to beat any character with your own personal favorite. I'm really impressed at the balance of different play styles the characters in this game offer.

3phemeral

Finall got a hold of this and registered. Went online without a hitch and easy as pie. Tried a few races that were pretty close call, although, one race in particular, a guy kept falling off the rainbow road track and lakitu would bring him up ahead of me. Pissed me off. Anyone have this happen to them? He did this 3-4 times and everytime I would fall off, it'd be impossible for me to catch up to anyone. Grr.

3pheMeraL

Gio_CoD

Banned
Does this happen to anybody else?

Sometimes when I'm racing someone, and I just barely cross the finish line before then (but obvious enough to KNOW that I crossed the finish line before them), sometimes it still gives the other person the win. Like 5 or 6 times I've crossed the finish line before someone only to end up behind them when the race is over. It doesn't make any fucking sense. I don't know what could be causing it.

suaveric

Haleon said:
Does this happen to anybody else?

Sometimes when I'm racing someone, and I just barely cross the finish line before then (but obvious enough to KNOW that I crossed the finish line before them), sometimes it still gives the other person the win. Like 5 or 6 times I've crossed the finish line before someone only to end up behind them when the race is over. It doesn't make any fucking sense. I don't know what could be causing it.

It's called LAG.

rawk

Here's a question...

Forgive me if I'm giving your big secret here, but why does NOBODY I race against use the Sky Garden shortcut? I've raced maybe one person who used it. Nobody else. Is it that much of a secret, or what?

Also, shouldn't we not be doing friend codes in this thread? We need a Mario Kart DS non-friend code thread. We've already got one of those!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
rawk said:
Here's a question...

Forgive me if I'm giving your big secret here, but why does NOBODY I race against use the Sky Garden shortcut? I've raced maybe one person who used it. Nobody else. Is it that much of a secret, or what?

Also, shouldn't we not be doing friend codes in this thread? We need a Mario Kart DS non-friend code thread. We've already got one of those!

just that jump or what?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
rawk said:
No, the little shortcut over the cloud.

I don't even count the jumps as shortcuts. I guess they are, but they're so obvious.

I just got shortcut on and lost the match because of it. damnit I was better than that guy as well. due to lag I couldn't tell how he did it though and I forget where it was. is it near the little jump shortcut?

jdforge

Banned
I cant connet at all - Keep getting some stupid error message 59900 or something.

Anyone who can help me - Id love you forever.

heidern

Hey Waku, that was some cool races, you edged me this time, but we'll meet again. Ninge, I've added you and am on right now if you wanna race. So far I've also added phantomile co, JoshuaJSloane, DCharlie, CVXfreak and Waku. Anyone one wanna add me feel free and send me a PM. If you think you're hard enough.

Waku

Yeah, like i said in the offical thread, good races. So many Ties. For some reason Mario Kart DS is the first Game in a long Time were i don't really much mind losing. When you hit me with that Red Shell on Delphino Square just inches befor the Finish Line i just laught. :lol

And boy do i suck at Chocolat Mountain. Would have raced some more but I had to do some errands, but i will be back online ina minute.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Waku said:
Yeah, like i said in the offical thread, good races. So many Ties. For some reason Mario Kart DS is the first Game in a long Time were i don't really much mind losing. When you hit me with that Red Shell on Delphino Square just inches befor the Finish Line i just laught. :lol

And boy do i suck at Chocolat Mountain. Would have raced some more but I had to do some errands, but i will be back online ina minute.
I pretty much feel the same way.

heidern

Waku said:

Yeah, this game is just awesome. I actually feel sorry for people that are totally hung up on their win record. There's just the right mix of skill and luck such that sometimes you'll hold the lead in style, and other times you'll make that last moment comeback, and other times someone will make the comeback against you.

I also have a soft spot for Choco Mountain, I was up against one of those dispicable snakers, and with this as the final race he was tearing it up and beating me handily. However he made the error of falling down the side where te rocks fall and lost half a lap with no chance to come back.

ninge said:
that was fun :) no idea who Rugal is but was some good close racing! Searching for more action right now!

Rugal is me, he's my other fave KOF character. That race on Peach Circuit was really intense all the way through with the lead changing multiple times.

Oh, everyone, see how I satisfy gaffers at Mario Kart Online as effectively as Olimario satisfies the girrrls.
Dial: 446736 708492 on you dual screen now for instant satisfaction guaranteed.

Jonnyram

They're the famous (in Japan) comedy duo "99". Usually, the guy playing Mario (Okamoto) is the funny guy and the tall guy playing Luigi is the straight guy. Okamoto also does some crazy stunts on New Year's Eve every year for TV.

Adding the people that posted their friend codes in this thread right now. Will add the rest of the european folks on demi's list later.

Code: 073075 052058

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Zerodoppler said:
Adding the people that posted their friend codes in this thread right now. Will add the rest of the european folks on demi's list later.

Code: 073075 052058

Added ye.

I forget if I listed mine this thread but here y'are

064484 543379

Top Bottom