• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team |OT| Us North Americans Don't Have Bros

Rikkun

I started this yesterday and god, it's slow.
Mario slow, nothing new, but yeah. Luckily I had Italy-Germany to watch while the stupid french block taught me how to answer yes or no.

PS: It talks french in the Italian version, not sure about the english version

Shoogoo

I'm struggling against the zeekeeper. The gyroscopic controls are screwing me over, Luigi stays in the upper right corner and I can't really get him to move.

Are the controls atrocious or is there something wrong with my 3ds xl?

Stupid idea to put that kind of controls during a boss fight imho.

Shoogoo

^Try putting the 3DS on a flat surface, I had no problem with the zeekeper battle but with the next one, it's a known bug iirc.

Thanks, I'll try that. It was very frustrating though, if it doesn't work, I don't see myself trying more than 3 times . I don't want to give up on this game but that kind of bugs is very irritating.

edit : unless of course I get my ass kicked by the boss fair and square

I am 42 hours in and just reached Somnom woods. I don't think the marginal returns are worth it anymore to me. I see people saying Somnom woods is fun so I might finish that and stop. Am already at level 31.

Firebrand

Giant battles are cool, but ugh do I hate the stylus "flick" controls. Just did the
Earthwake? Earth-a-wake?
fight and it just wouldn't register the right moves for me during the flying hammer counters. So frustrating, should have been an easy fight otherwise. /vent

Otherwise been having a great time with it, but yeah, some unnecessary padding in there with the
ultibed part
etc. Just reached Somnom woods after edit: ~35 hours.

Sora_N

I finally decided to resume this game last night, played about 30 minutes exploring Wakeport. Just remembered why I loved jRPGs, such charming dialogue such as the ones from this game.

Amory

The beginning of this game is absolutely painful. I understand as a 26 year old I'm probably not in the target market, but the micromanaging really is offensive and I think 13 year old me would feel the same way.

It's not just the tutorial bits that get on my nerves, it's the constant stop and go narrative where they let you play for 10 minutes and then give 3 minutes of needless dialogue. A recent example:

"Hey we need that pillow you got there."
"Oh yeah? Well come get it then" *runs away*

Windmill breaks which turns off the fountain which shrinks the flowers blocking the path. OK, I know what I need to do. Not only that but you showed me exactly where the propellers went. Let me play now, please. Nope, gotta hear from block guy first.

"Oh no! The windmill broke! Now the flowers are all f'ed up! Those flowers are super important plus everyone loves how pretty they are! I'm gonna be in so much trouble!"

Yeah I know. I saw that. Can I play now? Nope. Little fairy dude needs to have a say in the situation.

"Mario, Luigi! We should help them fix the windmill! Looks like we have no choice! By the way we're doing this so we can save Peach, because she's stuck somewhere in the dream world remember? So we need that pillow to save her!"

At this point I'm hammering on the A button begging to be allowed to play. And sequences like this just keep happening. Does it eventually just let me go?

Velcro Fly

So I'm just getting around to playing the game for the first time. Got it for Christmas but really wasn't interested. Started it yesterday morning because I was actually having trouble sleeping. It's pretty fun so far. I'm only a couple hours in but it is fun. And some of the tutorials are helpful because I absolutely have forgotten a few things about playing games like this since I played BiS.

Also
I'd totally be like Luigi in that I can zonk out so easily.

DonMigs85

I bought the game at launch and I finally got around to finishing it now.
It's a bit slow at times but I still enjoyed it and it's still funny. Love the Massif bros and the "strange trip"

Velcro Fly

Just now finished up the boss fight in
Dreamy Wakeport

Can safely say I love this game. I feel bad having waited three whole months to start playing it. It's just so fun and fresh. I know the combat is pretty much the same but being able to customize yourself when you rank up is a cool change. Having the challenges is a fun new addition. The dream worlds remind me of actual things that happen in dreams. They are just totally nonsensical in every way. Even the touch screen uses have all been superb. The Luiginary stuff has all been really fun. I hated the touch screen stuff in BiS but here it's a joy to play.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Having played a couple of hours of M&L SS on Wii U - it's really fun! How does this game hold up? And which other entries are must plays?

maxcriden

Having played a couple of hours of M&L SS on Wii U - it's really fun! How does this game hold up? And which other entries are must plays?

I think they all are, although you'll get some mixed responses on this game and Partners in Time (the second game). I'd try out PIT and try playing through the series in order; each iteration adds some significant additional features to the series. It's a really stellar series. If you like these games I would definitely recommend the Paper Mario games as well, if you haven't played them.

jblank83

Bowser's Inside Story was my favorite, and generally a favorite of most other M&L fans.

Dream Team is alright. It's just lackluster. Level design is probably the best part, arguably best in series, though some levels go on too long. Art quality deserves praise as well. I never failed to be impressed by the level texturing, the amount of handiwork that went into levels (you'll rarely see cut and paste segments, everything is hand placed and thoughtful). It's honestly impressive stuff, handheld game or not. Music is pretty decent also.

Dialog might be the worst part: it's not very funny and there's too much of it. Game progression is also plodding. If they cut out 20-30 hours of padding, or at least made a lot of it optional, it would be a more memorable, more entertaining game. Instead, the game feels laborious and that mars the overall experience.

7/10 seems very appropriate.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

For me, I'd say Bowser's Inside Story is a bit better than Superstar Saga which is much better than Dream Team, and all are significantly better than Partners in Time. I think you can safely skip Partners in Time and move on to Bowser's Inside Story. Dream Team is worth a playthrough, but if I could go back and do it again, I'd rather not pay full price.

These were my thoughts on this one when I finished:

"Overall, I'm a bit disappointed. There are good points, but there are too many slow sections in the game. Really couldn't stand the enemy attacks where you had to run away from them. Just felt like it really dragged on, especially since they'd often attack once or twice and THEN do that shit too. Game was really slow for me (and somewhat ironically put me to sleep a few times) in the early goings, but it picked up after like, 20 hours lol. Somnom woods was easily the highlight for me. The giant battles (aside from the oddly slow second one) were great too, and the soundtrack is stellar. The art style isn't bad at all, though I'm not sure whether I prefer it over the old stuff. It's definitely good though. Really, the main issue with the game is a lot of dragging. Also, I know how to access Luiginary works, you don't have to tell me every fucking time.

I'm not sure how I'd rank the series overall as I'm torn between Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story, but I'd rank Partners in Time last and this one second to last. Just too much plodding to be considered the best for me, unfortunately, as this was one of my most anticipated games of the year. I'll probably never replay this." Haven't really changed my mind since.

Defect

What is so bad about Partners in Time? It is my favorite with SS being second and BIS being really boring.

I am getting Dream Team soon.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
What is so bad about Partners in Time? It is my favorite with SS being second and BIS being really boring.

I am getting Dream Team soon.

It's been almost ten years since I played it, but I remember the overworld areas being very dull and repetitive, the bro items being way too overpowered (which I guess was to compensate for a lot of the enemies having too much HP), and just being too easy in general, as well as too short. The story was pretty bad too. The battle system was ok though, I think. Granted, maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but I do recall never wanting to play it again.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks guys, appreciate your input. Looks like Bowser's Inside Story is next up

Velcro Fly

Still plodding along. I find myself growing impatient with not being able to go back to previous areas with new abilities yet. Although I just got the
whirlwind jump thing from Mt. Pajamajama
so maybe that will give me more areas to go back and explore. I really do enjoy the collectathon aspect of these games, looking for attack blocks, beans, and pillo's. I do agree that the level design (especially in the dream world) is the best part of the game. I should have plenty of time to finish the game by the time Kirby and Mario Golf come out in a few weeks without actually rushing to finish. Definitely enjoying this more than BiS too. Feel like it gets some flak that isn't deserved. I've laughed a few times and only once or twice have I felt like things are too wordy. Feels like a solid 8-8.5/10 game for me, depending on how things go from here until the end.

Velcro Fly

Well this game went south in a hurry.

I'm on the volcano boss and I'm finding one of his attacks unstoppable. I get hit for massive damage every time he does the charge tackle thing. It doesn't matter what I do I take massive damage. I find the touch controls awful in terms of actually registering for this fight too. I've died on this fight half a dozen times because the damage just piles up too much when one attack he does I can't counter at all. I think I'm just going to have to forget about this game because the frustration of trying to play with absolute shit controls on a boss is too much.

edit: I finally beat it after basically doing everything else perfect defensively. The only thing I got hit by is the charge attack and I still had to heal for safety at the end of the fight. Charge attack hit me 4 times on the run I finally was successful. Just leaves such a bad taste in my mouth that an otherwise really fun game has such a horseshit fight in it.

DonMigs85

I'm on the volcano boss and I'm finding one of his attacks unstoppable. I get hit for massive damage every time he does the charge tackle thing. It doesn't matter what I do I take massive damage. I find the touch controls awful in terms of actually registering for this fight too. I've died on this fight half a dozen times because the damage just piles up too much when one attack he does I can't counter at all. I think I'm just going to have to forget about this game because the frustration of trying to play with absolute shit controls on a boss is too much.

edit: I finally beat it after basically doing everything else perfect defensively. The only thing I got hit by is the charge attack and I still had to heal for safety at the end of the fight. Charge attack hit me 4 times on the run I finally was successful. Just leaves such a bad taste in my mouth that an otherwise really fun game has such a horseshit fight in it.

I didn't have too much trouble with that guy. Keep at it, maybe watch a Youtube video in case you might be doing something wrong.

He was stupid at first but after I figured out how to block it by swiping back at him life was easier.

Bump.

I've been playing M&L DTB and something weird happened after I was done with a battle. Now Mario and Luigi flail their arms around but I have lost all control of them and can't get them to move. The music / any sound effect is also gone. I cannot access the menu or save, yet I can move the map around or exit via the home menu.

3wNuy4e.png

they're just hangin out I guess. Has the game glitched like this for anyone else?

Nope, the 'Save' icon clearly responds to my touch (disappears momentarily then reappears) but nothing else happens.

I suppose I can turn it off and lose about half an hour of playthrough, but it's still kind of weird. It's as if half of the game has frozen and half is ok.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I don't like Dreamy Luigi merging into Mario during the dream fights. Doesn't seem like Luigi's stats factor in at all. Since I build mario with no defense whatsoever that Bowser fight was a pain in the ass.

*1-UP Deluxe on thread again*

So I finally finished the game too! 39:17 on the game clock, apparently I got KO'd 18 times and ate mushrooms 108 times. I finished with a Level 41 Mario and a Level 39 Luigi (thank god for that Rainbow Rank and Level 40+ exclusive shop).

Christ this game just went on and on in the final area, I spent the entirety of today trying to finish it.

I'll summarize (not so briefly) some of the things I liked or disliked:

+ The music is amazing. Play with headphones on. I loved the regular (non-dreamy) battle / boss battle theme, the Mushrise Park theme, the Wakeport theme and especially the Somnom Woods theme (Dreamy Somnom Labyrinth music is godly, gonna put this as background music whenever I work on my laptop for now). Also the final battle music (
the last two 'final boss' fights at least
) pumped me up.

+ The battle system is probably one of the best turn-based systems I've encountered in a RPG. Even basic attacks like the Jump / Hammer can be interesting with the correct timing, and the dreamy battle variants with the multiple Luigis are awesome. The Bros. Moves are also nice (I preferred the variety of moves in PiT more) but the best ones are without a doubt the Dreamy Luigi moves. Evading and counter-attacking always keeps you on your toes since every enemy has a unique attacking technique - and there are loads of them. Final bros. moves deal an incredibly satisfying amount of damage.

+ It looks great. I can't understand people that say this looks much worse than the other M&L games (IMO this makes this look dated and they both look great on their systems). 3D also looks good but I had it off for most of my time playing.

+ I thought the humor was alright. It's definitely well written. Not a lot of funny exchanges (not a lot of dialog in general, except for some variants of "We need to get the X thing, go to Y area and collect Z stuff and enter the Dream World to do (...)"), yet the
part right after you awaken the Zeekeeper
is hilarious and makes up for it. Best characters:
Bedsmith, Zeekeeper, Massif Brothers

+ I love how they portray Luigi's brotherly relationship with Mario. Luigi is actually really well developed in this game (for a mute / Italian gibberish speaking character anyway). He's always not sure of himself and wants Mario by his side, yet at the same time he looks up to his big bro and tries to help him. The
scene at the end where he tips his hat with confidence before forming a Giant Luigi to fight Bowser
is also a nice touch.

Speaking of which...

- Giant Luigi fights, ugh. The first time I got into one (about 8 hours in?) I thought it looked cool and was excited with the variety of battle types offered (regular ones / dreamy Luigi ones / giant Luigi ones). At the second one I thought to myself that the fight took longer than I expected and I enjoyed it less. The last two ones were a chore, because you spend 20% of the time attacking the boss with your limited set of moves, and 80% of the time swiping your stylus at the right time / in the right direction to avoid its' attack and maybe counter-attack. And the giant bosses never stop attacking. It takes forever. They have like 6-7 different attacks, each one involving a tiring cutscene sequence that takes up time, and by the end they use every one. Like someone else said, it's basically 30 minutes of glorified QTEs and cool cutscenes. Also, the gyro controls (which are introduced in the last two Giant Luigi fights) are downright broken:
About 40% of the time in the Zeekeeper battle, flying Luigi would just stick to the edge of the screen and get hammered by the projectiles even when I was shaking the 3ds around like an idiot. I also chickened out and selected the easy option for the final Giant Bowser phase (Mario on a Star flying over lava) because (a) I thought I was done with this shit (b) I would never be able to steer this thing as good as they originally wanted me to.
Seriously screw this "let's utilize all the gimmicks of this system!" mindset, I thought it died with the Wii. Keep gyro controls and stylus swipes out of boss fights please (or at least design the fights better). These fights don't give you EXP anyway nor does it matter what level you are, so in retrospect these fights are just cool looking and not much else.

- Some of the enemy attacks also take looooong. I wasn't annoyed by that until I realized it late into the game. In the dream world for example, some enemies group together and start marching towards you doing a specific thing that you have to avoid, which takes about thirty seconds depending on the size of the group. At other times (usually bosses are guilty of this) they start a chasing sequence Crash Bandicoot-style, where you run away from them and time your jumps to avoid projectiles and such. Initially that is a welcome addition as it adds variety to attack patterns, but battles start to drag on because of that, making an already long game more drawn out.

- The game itself is also needlessly long. There's not much of a story to speak of (
Antasma does his evil dream schtick, he teams up with Bowser and Bowser kidnaps Peach
). The game is just padded and drawn out so much that somehow you end up with a game double the length of previous M&L games and half the plot development. It bugged me from the beginning (I proceed to spoil the entire game so read at your own discretion):
in Mushrise Park you had to collect something that a certain guy had, but then that guy decides to be a dick and hides in the area, leading to an hour of collecting other stuff, fixing something, then a boss battle ensues and then you get the thing. It's even worse in the next area (Dozing Sands): you want to get that other thing? Well first you need to go to the dream world and wake up some Pi'illos to open a pathway, then you have to convince some other character (that also decides to not be helpful in every way possible) to allow you to break some rocks, find certain Pi'illos and activate the Four Pillars of Whatever that open up yet another pathway, fight a sudden boss fight, then go the dream world again and after a while fight another boss and then you get that thing you wanted to get for the last 4-5 hours or so. The third thing is on Mount Pajamaja so the natural next step would be to go there right? Nope, gotta go to Wakeport and look around for the mountain tour guide. Looks like the tour guide can't help you unless you wake his big brother up, and he's sleeping in the most inconvenient area ever. You go the dream world and tell the guy to wake up. Welp, gotta first fight him and his squad scattered across the dream world. It doesn't help that the mountain sequence itself is way too big, around that point I put the game down for several months because of fatigue.

The whole game is like this, as if it is designed to hold you back from advancing the plot by making you go through all of these repetitive sequences in the real world and then again in the dream world. Was it necessary to create not one, but three dream portals inside a dream portal (which you had to do by talking to some specific characters in different dream worlds and collecting Eggs) to hide Peach in, only to be revealed that the whole thing was a sham and you just wasted three hours of your life? To make the Ultibed, was it necessary to revisit every major area you've been in and collect that thingy that helps form the Ultibed, then fight another unexpected boss battle, go to the dream world to wake up the guy who will create the Ultibed, get into another boss battle, then go to the area where the Ultibed must be made, collect a bunch of things again (this time they're called "Somnom Tablets") and wake up a bunch of special Pi'illos that would help you, then fight yet another boss fight, enter the dream world and fight the last boss battle that would end this god-forsaken sequence? The syntax of the previous sentence is ridiculous and so is this fetch-quest. At least Somnom Woods was an area I genuinely enjoyed and did not feel like I was pushing myself to advance. But then the last area ... jeez even that one just drags on. To stop Kamek, you have to make your way around the castle that got f'ed up by his magic, push a switch that will unlock the gate guarding the spot where he fled into the dream world, enter the dream world and look around for Kamek, then engage in battle with Kamek. Then do the whole thing again two times more. Why? And when you're finally done with Kamek and think "time to battle Antasma and Bowser", the game decides that nope, you should first extinguish three special dream flames by going to three different dream worlds. Then you get three final boss fights back to back (at this point the game just throws at you every battle system). It's fun but very tiring.
Add to that the various other stuff you have to collect (i.e. Pi'illos, where you have to enter the dream world and find them, or Attack Pieces, 10 scattered in every area that are required for a new special attack) and you can see why the game clocks at 40-50 hours for most people.. I'm pretty sure if you cut out all of the extra fluff, you'd have a sub-10 hour RPG in your hands (which I'm not saying is better, but jesus this game did not have to take 40 hours).

-/+ Not sure how to feel about the Dream World parts. They're essentially platforming sequences, with battles here and there and the occasional puzzle. Sometimes they're fun, most of the times it feels like they put it there to artificially lengthen an already bloated game. I wasn't exactly like "yay dream world time" every time I had to get into one. Some real world / dream world interactions through Luigi were cool. A lot of dream worlds felt like a hassle to me for the most part.
Especially the last area where the game throws at you every Luiginary work that you've learned. I get it guys, it's the end, you don't have to test me on everything though.

-/+ I didn't have much trouble with the tutorials. Sure there were a lot, and some of them were stupid (it's designed like it's someone's first game), but I could look past that. I'm thankful that every time I unlocked a special move (after the first one) I could just view a demo if I wished and Starlow / Dreambert wouldn't bother me. What I didn't like is that the game threw tutorials at me until the very end of the game.

So there you have it. Overall it's a nice game, not very challenging (some bosses can be a pain, especially in Giant Luigi fights) but it does overstay its' welcome. I didn't bother rescuing all 52 Pi'illos, or finding all beans, or collecting all these photos, since you can finish the game just fine without them.

Velcro Fly

Finally getting around to finishing up the game. I have the rest of the second to last area and then the final area and I'm done. At about 33 hours right now.

It's still really fun. At certain points scenes drag on and it is a little annoying, but the world of the game is very fun and interesting. I've been sort of following a guide to find things once I clear an area because I want to get all the collectibles done in a timely manner. I feel like I may have been unfairly harsh on the game for that one boss fight. I seriously stopped playing the game for over a year because of that.

This game may well top out at over 40 hours. I definitely want to get my bros to level 40 for Rainbow Rank goodness. It feels like an epic quest despite it feeling like a long game. I feel like the game breaks things up well enough where you never feel like you are slogging through an area for 7 or 8 hours straight. You are always working towards something, whether it is finding certain key items, rescuing pi'llos from their nightmare chunk encrusted state, or just finding collectibles and attack pieces.

If this is the only M&L game we get on the 3DS I think I'll be ok with that knowing how full of content and life this one was. While I don't know that I'll ever replay the game because of the sheer wordiness of some parts where I don't feel it's warranted, it has been a really fun ride that sort of snuck up on me as I was finishing playing tonight.

scamander

Banned
Hey fellow Gaffers, I'm playing this right now and need some help. I'm currently on the mountain (sorry, don't know the English name of it) in a section in which the two other brothers were supposed to help me get rid of some icicles. The problem is there is a second path with an attack fragment but I took the other one first. After I was done with it the muscle brothers just ran off. Do I get another chance to get the fragment or am I basically fucked and need to go back to my last check point?

Top Bottom