• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team |OT| Us North Americans Don't Have Bros

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Eh personally I'd consider that BIS, but I'm apparently in a very tiny minority on that one.

Really don't get the hate for PIT. I thought it was great.

agreed with you about PiT, it gets way more flak that deserved. It's a prime example of a good game being slaughtered out of proportion. BiS was better in every regard, though, at least for me

Berordn

agreed with you about PiT, it gets way more flak that deserved. It's a prime example of a good game being slaughtered out of proportion. BiS was better in every regard, though, at least for me

I think you'll find few people who think PiT is a bad game, it's just radically different from its predecessor and successors because of the removal of a lot of the world elements that the other games have.

El Odio

Banned
Beat the game and I gotta say i have some really mixed feelings towards it. Story-wise it was a bit average with Bowser and Antasma sticking to the background while their minions did all the work. They kept trying to make it seem like things were looking grim once
Dreamy Bowser's Castle
appeared but nothing really ever happened to back it up. It was still as funny as the others entries though so at least that was good.
The gameplay is where most of my complaints come from, especially in battle. Sure, it's cool at first when you get all these enemies using crazy attacks that require you to move around or run away but it gets tiresome really fast. I get that they didn't want countering to be pressing A or B each time again but when you're enemies take 3 times as long as you to attack you have a problem. I mentioned it before but I also wasn't a fan of how damaging some of their attacks could be and that half the enemies could change up their normal attacks practically forcing you to get hit so you can spot the differences between the two.
Giant Luigi fights were pretty fun, only let down by the 3 gyro control parts and the fact that the last 2 were completely based on countering.
I did like it how at the end though how
Bowser finally refers to Luigi by name. Wasn't really expecting that, at all.
Overall I'd say its a 7/10 game.

Timeaisis

Whew. Beat the game last night. 42 hours. It did kinda drag on at the end, there. I got to about 32 hours and thought it was nearing the end. The last dungeon easily took me 3 hours to complete.

Anyway, overall it was a pretty fun game. Not my favorite in the series, but definitely not the worst.
Antasma was an easy boss, but I had a really hard time on Bowser -- he kept healing himself.

The humor was good, but it was more inconsistent than the rest of the series. I kinda yearned for more Bowser dialogue. Be that as it may, pretty solid game.

ffdgh

So...just noticed there's an update for this game in the eshop. It's mainly bug fixes for various glitches.

edit: wait nevermind just noticed it came out days ago.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Phew, got all the Pi'illos rescued. Now to continue onward through the (I think) final area.

& since YouTube RUINED it for me by putting a video in the suggestion area, how does one access the battle against
Baby Bowser
, since it's considered a secret boss?

DaBoss

Phew, got all the Pi'illos rescued. Now to continue onward through the (I think) final area.

& since YouTube RUINED it for me by putting a video in the suggestion area, how does one access the battle against
Baby Bowser
, since it's considered a secret boss?

Go to that arena thing and beat all the bosses.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Thanks for the quick response again. Was actually just thinking of about going back & seeing how many more I could beat, since I'm now 1/2 way towards reaching Level 39.

hunnies28

Are people really having trouble with giant battles controls? I been having fun with those battles.

Tutorials on the other hand....

Alrus

Thanks for the quick response again. Was actually just thinking of about going back & seeing how many more I could beat, since I'm now 1/2 way towards reaching Level 39.

You should be okay at level 40 for the whole boss rush thing. Still the secret boss is pretty damn hard imo, didn't have much fun doing it :/

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Holy crap, the final Giant Luigi battle SUCKS, ESPECIALLY when the damn motion controls come in & decide "LULZ NOPE NOT GONNA RESPOND". ATTEMPT NUMBER FOUR....

Edit: Yup, the motion controls simply DO NOT want to work after a few seconds of....ya know, actually working. Luigi does NOT want to go in the direction I tilt the 3DS towards and decides "Nah, I wanna go towards the area that'll hurt me & lose my life!!" Even worse, I have to deal with re-doing the slooooow battle yet again...& it seems it's not just me. Some people are saying the gyro controls don't respond during the
Zeekeeper
battle as well. I thought the 1.1 Version patch was suppose to fix this....

Edit 2: "FINALLY, I beat him, looks like I can......Uh.....
YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING, MORE MOTION CONTROLS GAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH
Just so glad it offers to make it easier in order to pass it, but damn, I NEVER want to deal with 3DS gyro controls while holding it sideways AGAIN.

Fireblend

Banned
So, how much grinding should I be doing early in the game? I'm I think about to finish the first area (mush-something park or something) but since enemies don't respawn easily I haven't really focused on leveling up at all. Should I go through the trouble of switching areas for enemies to respawn or is that something I shouldn't worry about either now or throughout the game?

KarmaCow

So, how much grinding should I be doing early in the game? I'm I think about to finish the first area (mush-something park or something) but since enemies don't respawn easily I haven't really focused on leveling up at all. Should I go through the trouble of switching areas for enemies to respawn or is that something I shouldn't worry about either now or throughout the game?

I never felt like I had to grind, battles are fairly simple. In fact I started avoided battles early on because they were too boring. I wasn't one-shotting them but the enemies weren't posing a threat either. The downside to this is that boss battles take forever.

DaBoss

No grinding necessary. I never bought Gear either.

Tan

Are people really having trouble with giant battles controls? I been having fun with those battles.

Tutorials on the other hand....

I could not get excellents on the tornado bro move thing. I got it during the tutorial but couldn't do it afterwards. No idea why.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Holy crap, the final battle just DRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGED. I've literally spent about 30 minutes on this battle....and counting...& I'm at Level 40....

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Use the final bros attacks you learn. Makes the battle go much quicker.
I try to, but the boss randomly decides when he'll put his arm up & take 0 damage from all attacks, so I focus on making sure he can't do that but then he decides to go into the background & heal and then I gotta deal with minions and it's a damn cycle....

DaBoss

I try to, but the boss randomly decides when he'll put his arm up & take 0 damage from all attacks, so I focus on making sure he can't do that but then he decides to go into the background & heal and then I gotta deal with them and it's a damn cycle....
Take out his arms first. Use bros attacks that don't hit multiple targets.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Took a few attempts (quite a few times, the moment I'd take an arm out with a bros. attack, he'd jump to the background, sometimes 2 or 3 times in a row), but he's FINALLY beaten. Think after finishing up the boss arena, I'm gonna put it on my shelf & focus on other games.

Despite the flaws, I feel like this might be one I'd consider going back to visit later in the future, similar to how I replayed through Superstar Saga about 3 or 4 times.

Marjar

Banned
Ugh god the
Giant Bowser battle
is such bullshit. Biggest difficulty spike I've faced in a while.

I really hope that if they make another M&L game, they either fix these giant battles so that they don't suck ass, or just completely remove them. I'd prefer the latter.

Edit: Also I really gotta say, this game is definitely not as good as the first two.

I went back to them to compare, and SS and PIT make this game look reeeeaally slow. Battles just feel so much quicker and fast paced in comparison. It doesn't feel like the game is wasting your time.

Dream Team isn't bad, but it's definitely not the best in the series. Maybe the best soundtrack though.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Somnom Woods has great music. Enjoying this section more than the rest of the game so far honestly.

Fireblend

Banned
So, I'm like 10 hours into this (wait, 10 hours?! that can't be right. I must have left my 3DS on or something for hours at some point) and I'm really liking it:

• Music is just great
  • Dialogue is pretty charming even if it doesn't reach the brilliance of past games.
  • The battle system is incredibly good, both in and outside of dreams.
  • Crazy amounts of customization stats-effects-wise.
  • Visuals are downright awesome. I don't miss the spritework from BIS one bit.

The tutorials aren't as jarring as I expected from this thread. I can skip at least half of them, and the others don't last more than 1 minute. Maybe my one true annoyance would be the lack of enemy variety, but I'm thinking that the amount of attacks each enemy has makes up for that.

Marjar

Banned
Yeah I give up.
Giant Bowser
is just complete bullshit. I had no problems with the gyro controls at all, but then suddenly in this fight they just completely stopped working. It's like they didn't even test it.

Penguin

Somnom Woods has great music. Enjoying this section more than the rest of the game so far honestly.

I feel like Somnom Woods is what the rest of the game should have been.

Not that it was bad, but Somnom Woods trusted you with all you learned and worked it into clever puzzles, enemies and environments.

I don't know where the game lagged for me, but I do feel it could have dropped a few hours

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah I give up.
Giant Bowser
is just complete bullshit. I had no problems with the gyro controls at all, but then suddenly in this fight they just completely stopped working. It's like they didn't even test it.
Yeah, same here. After about 5 attempts (3 of which were on that one part), I decided to just have the 3DS be completely flat while doing it & it seemed to have work, instead of holding it at an angle like you would normally. I still wish that was fixed, considering a patch was released not too long ago.

Slingshot attack is another attack where gyro pissed me off.
Ugh, that's perhaps the one bros. attack where I hated the use of the gyro.....well, that & the final attack when doing a Giant Luigi battle, especially with
Giant Bowser

Niraj

I feel like Somnom Woods is what the rest of the game should have been.

Not that it was bad, but Somnom Woods trusted you with all you learned and worked it into clever puzzles, enemies and environments.

I don't know where the game lagged for me, but I do feel it could have dropped a few hours

Honestly, I was pretty damn bored through most of it, and I love this series. I've refrained from posting and bitching too much, because I don't want to be one of those dudes, but it just didn't really do it for me til that section. I'm enjoying it a lot more now. I'm almost done with the game I'd think, as I just started
Neo Bowser's Castle
but I'm mildly concerned with all the mentions of it slowing down again, as well as I'm assuming some sort of a giant battle with poor gyro controls -_-

Honestly, I do enjoy the the giant battles quite a bit comparatively, though the second one really dragged on for me. Just seemed like I was doing shit for damage. The other ones were all fine.

you know, it really is rare these days to have battle music where there is a little intro sequence that is timed to the loading transition between world and battle screen.

Slowly working through this (in the place with the drill thing). I do hope some of these non main p'illow folks have more elaborate dream worlds. It takes more time to get in and out of the place than to actually finish the map >.>"

Katzii

Despite how frustrating the actual fight is, especially when you have to restart because of that last bit, I like the little bit before the last giant fight because
rather than getting scared as usual Luigi gives Mario that "Let's do this bro" look then confidently tips his hat down.
Showed some real character development.

That bit genuinely made me smile.

That being said, the game took me 44 hours to complete and at 26 hours I was ready for it to come to a head. The good bits are good, but the game itself just drags so much.

Labadal

Decided to put up the game for sale. I wasn't even stuck or anything. I just felt after 20 hours that I'm content with what I played but don't feel like going on. Love the graphics, combat is fun, music is great but the pacing bored me in the end.
I might pick it up in the future, my save isn't going anywhere.

Niraj

Just finished in a bit under 41 hours. Last bosses were kind of a joke. Didn't have any gyro issues with the third to last. Second to last was a joke because I had the accessory that healed 20 hp and 10 bp a turn, as well as the additional 30 hp per turn you got anyway -_- the last one was more annoying than anything else. The slingshot one did 500+ damage on the critical spot, so I basically alternated between that and Mario's last Bros attack. Would've finished that quicker but I was terrible at dodging some of the attacks and Mario died, so it took like 6 turns of reviving and healing just to get back to normal :p

Overall, I'm a bit disappointed. There are good points, but there are too many slow sections in the game. Really couldn't stand the enemy attacks where you had to run away from them. Just felt like it really dragged on, especially since they'd often attack once or twice and THEN do that shit too. Game was really slow for me (and somewhat ironically put me to sleep a few times) in the early goings, but it picked up after like, 20 hours lol. Somnom woods was easily the highlight for me. The giant battles (aside from the oddly slow second one) were great too, and the soundtrack is stellar. The art style isn't bad at all, though I'm not sure whether I prefer it over the old stuff. It's definitely good though. Really, the main issue with the game is a lot of dragging. Also, I know how to access Luiginary works, you don't have to tell me every fucking time.

I'm not sure how I'd rank the series overall as I'm torn between Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story, but I'd rank Partners in Time last and this one second to last. Just too much plodding to be considered the best for me, unfortunately, as this was one of my most anticipated games of the year. I'll probably never replay this.

I'll probably get rid of my Luigi hat avatar now, since the Year of Luigi is basically over for me ;)

Raw64life

Holy crap, the final Giant Luigi battle SUCKS, ESPECIALLY when the damn motion controls come in & decide "LULZ NOPE NOT GONNA RESPOND". ATTEMPT NUMBER FOUR.....

Ugh god the
Giant Bowser battle
is such bullshit. Biggest difficulty spike I've faced in a while.

Came here to post basically this. At Level 40. First time I died the whole game. Controls are erratic. These giant battles are basically glorified QTEs to begin with. After 3 tries pretty frustrated. This game has already been dragging since the Ultibed and I really wanted to finish this before Tuesday.

Marjar

Banned
I went back to play SS and PiT a bit and holy crap, they're honestly so much better.

The pacing is a million times better, the tutorials don't feel obnoxious at all, the enemy design is way better, and battles are WAAAY quicker. I have no idea what people are smoking when they say that the bosses in PiT have too much health.

I'm planning on picking up BIS again since I sold that years ago to try it again and compare. Really, despite the amazing visuals and soundtrack of Dream Team, I'd probably say it's the worst in the series.

Fireblend

Banned
So I'm like 25 hours in, both bros are level 27. Just reached the
Ultibed
fetch quest. How close am I to finishing the game?

Also, how important is it that I save all the Pi'llos, and how important is it that I clear all expert challenges?

Really enjoying it so far, great game, great music, great visuals, and I must be crazy but I love the battle system and how fast-paced battles seem, despite what others are saying. I usually go out of my way to clear all enemies from each screen just to hear the battle music and play with the battle system. Giant battles are also lots of fun. Having played all other M&L games, this is definitely one of my favorites
I wouldn't be able to decide, I love them all
. I'd say its only flaw is in the dialogue, which isn't as funny.

Beat the game and started Hard mode. I really enjoyed the game, but couldn't help but feel that perhaps I'm a little too old for the "humor" found in these Mario RPGs, at least this one. I never really found myself laughing or even enjoying the dialogue, skipping it the majority of the time. The game itself is fun as hell though, some of the most fun and challenging battles in any of the Mario RPGs, definitely. I like being challenged not only my strategy, but my timing and skill as well, it's very refreshing after Fire Emblem's strictly strategic gameplay.

Hard mode makes it all the more challenging and fun, I now truly feel like I have to ration my Mushroom, syrup, etc, and not use my items frivolously. Great game, overall, I just found the story tiresome and it to have dragged on for a bit longer than I had wanted.

Top Bottom