• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Power Tennis a "Best Seller" (Nintendo Marketing)

Deku Tree

Just got my copy. It has a "Best Seller" logo on the box same as some of the Paper Mario 2 boxes.

Is this a new marketing tactic? I wish I got the other box.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
So it WASN'T just a book-related joke for paper mario.... 0.o

I am really curious about this.

Unison

The official word from Nintendo is they are shocked by the # of pre-orders, so it's a best-seller. :lol

Memles

Both games are fairly direct follow-ups to N64 titles. I'm assuming that is their reason.

Plus, if it's a "best seller" parents will definitely look to it when getting games for kids while being complete uninformed...and, there's no problem with either game.

Unison

Obviously Nintendo should be using a sticker on the cellophane and not printing on the cover itself. Shame on them.

That Mario Party 6 cover is so genius. I hope it isn't marred by a "BEST SELLER!" sticker.

220477b.jpg

Edit: Nevermind... They've marred it w/ a Microphone logo. :-/

I just picked up my copy, and it's sadly a BEST SELLER as well. I got it from a store that was selling non-Best Seller copies of Paper Mario, if that means anything. So far, I haven't seen a "non" version around. Booooo!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Saw that today when I waiting in line to pick up Mario Tennis. Looks dumb on the cover, bu whatever.

Why was I waiting in line for Mario Power Tennis, you might ask? Halo 2. There were people there giving the EB employees a hard time because these guys didn't have a receipt of their purchase/reserve and weren't listed in the computer, and this store had no more copies of the LE left to sell. :p

olimario

Banned
I bought HALO 2 against by better judgement and I haven't been enjoying it much.
It's the same fairly uninteresting gameplay I dealt with in the first HALO and dual weilding doesn't make it any more fun for me.

Oh well.

Lyte Edge

olimario said:
I bought HALO 2 against by better judgement and I haven't been enjoying it much.
It's the same fairly uninteresting gameplay I dealt with in the first HALO and dual weilding doesn't make it any more fun for me.

Oh well.

It's all about the multiplayer. But if you didn't enjoy the original, why bother? The hype get to you?

Speevy

Banned
I didn't like Halo either. I don't know why. Kind of like watching a classic movie and feeling nothing. Since I don't play multiplayer and can't play online, I'll have to skip the highest rated game this year. :(

Lyte Edge

I'm feeling kind of underwhelmed by this game so far. I was more impressed with the N64 version. :\

olimario

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
It's all about the multiplayer. But if you didn't enjoy the original, why bother? The hype get to you?

Yes, it did.
Every preview and every impression of the game made it sound like it was so far evolved from the original. I wrote off the original as launch hype and the sequel as an honest to goodness good game. Seems I was wrong as the title really isn't that great, in my opinions.

fugimax

I emailed Nintendo about the "Best Seller" thing earlier...the response:

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments with us. Whether they are positive or negative, our company could never grow without feedback from the public. Your comments have been recorded and passed on to the appropriate departments for further review. Your input will help us make decisions for any future changes.

Introduced with the game Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, the "Best Seller" sticker indicates that a game has sold more than 250,000 copies. This is not like "Player's Choice," which indicates that a title is being sold at a special value.

You may be interested in knowing Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door achieved "Best Seller" status during the pre-sale for the game!

Looks like she's here to stay...great. There goes all future kick-ass boxart...Metroid Prime 2, the new Zelda, etc..

I asked them to change it to a sticker. You should use the feedback form on their website and do the same.

mumu

PM2 had 250,000 preorders? :x Or is that worldwide sales incl. preorders?

About the sticker, i will.

Deku Tree

fugimax said:
I emailed Nintendo about the "Best Seller" thing earlier...the response:

Looks like she's here to stay...great. There goes all future kick-ass boxart...Metroid Prime 2, the new Zelda, etc..

I asked them to change it to a sticker. You should use the feedback form on their website and do the same.

Where do I find this feedback form? I definately want to give them some feedback about this awful "best seller" logo. Make it a sticker!

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Unison said:
Obviously Nintendo should be using a sticker on the cellophane and not printing on the cover itself. Shame on them.

That Mario Party 6 cover is so genius. I hope it isn't marred by a "BEST SELLER!" sticker.

220477b.jpg

Edit: Nevermind... They've marred it w/ a Microphone logo. :-/
I agree. Somebody start a petition.

www.americans-for-boxart-purity.com

^^
Its unregistered! Quick, somebody buy it up before its too late.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
its on players choice boxarts for the wind waker as well. saw them last week.

FANBOYS AM CRY

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
This is quite stupid. Yes, it's a inspidly tiny thing to be bothered by, but it just looks pathetic. Is there any way to get NOA to realize this?

(As a side note, are ANY of the Mario Tennis boxes free of the "Best Seller" thing?)

Renegade

Banned
They had some in-store display ads in the EB I was at for Halo 2. Paper Mario, Resident Evil 4, the new Mario Party (Whatever number it's at), Mario Tennis, Geist, Viewtiful Joe 2 and Metroid prime 2 have the 'Best Seller' attached too.

Deku Tree

Vagabond said:
They had some in-store display ads in the EB I was at for Halo 2. Paper Mario, Resident Evil 4, the new Mario Party (Whatever number it's at), Mario Tennis, Geist, Viewtiful Joe 2 and Metroid prime 2 have the 'Best Seller' attached too.

Geist? No way that game has 250k pre-orders.

Mashing

mumu said:
PM2 had 250,000 preorders? :x Or is that worldwide sales incl. preorders?

About the sticker, i will.

I don't think the Japanese boxart had it... so that probably means in the US.

Speevy said:
I didn't like Halo either. I don't know why. Kind of like watching a classic movie and feeling nothing. Since I don't play multiplayer and can't play online, I'll have to skip the highest rated game this year. :(
you're SKIPPING Ratchet & Clank 3?!?!??

lexi

Banned
Wario64 said:
Fuck Nintendo, I ain't buying any GC games this holiday season in retaliation

Weaksauce. I sold my Gamecube and performed a Babylonian ritual to dispose of all my games.

fugimax

I've made a petition to send to Nintendo of America about the "Best Seller" issue. Please read it, and if you agree, sign it with your real name and email. You can choose to "hide" your email, so you will be safe from spam/stalkers.

Sign Here: http://www.petitiononline.com/gcnart/petition.html

I'm also creating a new topic just so people are aware and we can attempt to get a good amount of signatures. Pass this on to friends, co-workers...hell, anyone.

"Best Seller" is based on the amount of pre-orders Nintendo recieves from retailers for a game.

Nintendo just can't say "well lets ship ... say 250,000 Mario Tennis copies".

The retailers have to order that amount. This term in retail can be considered a "pre-order", but it shouldn't be confused with a consumer pre-order (where the consumer comes in and places a specific pre-order for a certain title).

So basically any game that has an initial shipment of 250,000 or more (or whatever number Nintendo is using) is deemed to be a best seller by them.

i managed to get a copy of paper mario minus the "best seller" sticker, but if mp2:e has one i'll be pissed...

edit: signed your petition fugimax

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
fugimax said:
I've made a petition to send to Nintendo of America about the "Best Seller" issue.

I'm torn between laughing at an online petition and thinking that the Best Seller thing is SO trivial, a petition might actually work.

As an aside, I am seriously pondering scanning in the MPT cover art, editing out the BEST SELLER image, then having a new cover printed out at the local Office Depot. It's pathetically petty, but has a better chance of happening than any alternative.

[Okay. I signed the petition. I feel dirty, now.]

Top Bottom