• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Power Tennis - Character/Special Game Info

Memles

Scans and Impressions can only do so much; hell, videos even have their limitations. Nintendo of Canada seems to have gotten behind the title (Which now launches in only two weeks...whick is pretty damn kickass), and have updated with a fairly detailed preview.

Mario Power Tennis - Nintendo.ca

Each of the 14 characters has a special strength. Peach, Daisy and Shy Guy are master technicians; Waluigi specializes in defense; Wario, Donkey Kong and Bowser rely on brute force; Koopa Troopa, Diddy Kong and Yoshi are speed demons; and arch-tricksters Boo and Bowser Jr. can put nasty english on their shots. Mario and Luigi are well-balanced characters, but it's a sign of the game's depth that they follow quite different strategies when controlled by the CPU. Luigi crowds the net, while Mario relies on a baseline game.

Chain-Chomp Challenge You and three other players visit Wario Factory to bat tennis balls, water balls and Bob-ombs at Chain-Chomps. Score points for hitting tennis balls into your Chain-Chomp's mouth. If it gets hit by one more Bob-omb, though, it will break free and chase you! You'll then need to stomp the water switch to cool off your Chain-Chomp. You can also Bob-omb your rival's Chain-Chomps.

I can't remember seeing any screens or video of the below minigame either.

Mecha-Bowser Mayhem Slam tennis balls, Bullet Bills and Bob-ombs at Mecha-Bowser. Grab invincibility and turbo boosts. Meanwhile, M- B will try to drain all your energy with his terrifying fire breath. It's not personal. He's just mad that no one told him of the beneficial effects of breath mints.

There's also some confirmation that Peach Dome seems to be the only true stadium, as it offers the three different surfaces, and the whole thing simply clarifies what we had gathered anyways.

Here's hoping this Amazon orders comes faster than the one currently being asstasticallly slow.

olimario

Banned
Wow!
Look at Bowser!
3569594_pf_main_img_en_55.gif

Memles

olimario said:
Wow!
Look at Bowser!
3569594_pf_main_img_en_55.gif

In one of the IGN Videos from Friday, there's some video of Bowser...he is quite large compared to the others. Even DK, although not so large as to make him seem out of place...the model kicks ass, though.

so many games .. SO MANY GAMES

My Holiday Order:

-Paper Mario 2
-Metal Slug Advanced
-Matroid Prime 2
-MGS 3
-Mario Tennis
-Baten Kaitos
-Ace Combat 5
-Katamari Damacy

didn't make my PC games list yet, and I think I won't

Fowler

I played a couple games with my sister last night. The mechanics have been directly lifted from the N64 game (good thing) but the special power attacks are a bit annoying to be honest since they are a bit too common. Still way early and we had fun anyway though.

Memles

Fowler said:
I played a couple games with my sister last night. The mechanics have been directly lifted from the N64 game (good thing) but the special power attacks are a bit annoying to be honest since they are a bit too common. Still way early and we had fun anyway though.

Confirm that they can be turned off, at the very least...IGN seemed to believe they could be.

And although your teaser impressions are nice...stop teasing!

Fowler

Memles said:
Confirm that they can be turned off, at the very least...IGN seemed to believe they could be.

And although your teaser impressions are nice...stop teasing!

Believe it or not but I might just have broken my arm so I can't say much more right now :p

SyNapSe

I REALLY want this game. It just looks like pure fun! There are too many games for me this Xmas though. :( Not sure if this will make it in this year... Oh well, guess I'll save myself some money.

Speevy

Banned
I didn't mean like that.

I mean, does it have a sizeable amount of single player content, are the physics okay, and how fun is it as a multiplayer party game?

Speevy

Banned
Strangely enough, Mario Tennis and Virtua Tennis are mentioned in IGN's review of Top Spin.

Great tennis games don't come along very often.

Memles

I think the biggest news was that, ONCE AGAIN, Luigi is going to hog the net. Fuck, playing him in Mario Tennis is a bitch when he's like that. SO annoying!

Top Bottom