• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Strikers Charged World GAF Cup

maxmars

As for this cup, it's all up to you. I would like the finals for 3rd and 4th place to be played BEFORE the finals for 1st and 2nd, just for the show.

For the next cup, it's all up to us to decide. I will be away two weeks between now and the first half of july, two more in august, so my presence for organizing is a bit in jeopardy. I will gladly participate, if you don't mind me skipping a game or two.

As for organization of next cup, there's not much to do I guess -- we just need to create a thread, post the rules (is there something we want to change? If so, let's discuss it in advance!), publish a schedule and PLAY! :)

The more we are honest and fair, the less time there is to lose on rules and ruling (and organizing).

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
OK then.

I will contact MasterMfauli via PM and try to play ASAP.

Talking about next tournaments... the original poster should create a calendar of matches, and then do a draw to put names in the calendar.

After that, I would change the not played results to draw (0 points both players), victory +3 and lose +1 (to encourage playing). I will make a draft in excel and show you how it is, and then we will decide.

BTW, parallel to the Cup I would do a GAF League. Not time restricted where any player can get in late. That would be a lot harder to maintain but we can check for a way to do it.

MasterMfauli check Private Messages!

tanasten, sorry, tonight and tomorrow, im not at home. (or, wait, im there on thursday afternoon and after).
Let´s play on thursday, i cant play any sooner.

Also, im already nervous enough to have to play against you, give me that little mental build up-time ;)

tanasten

MasterMFauli said:
tanasten, sorry, tonight and tomorrow, im not at home. (or, wait, im there on thursday afternoon and after).
Let´s play on thursday, i cant play any sooner.

Also, im already nervous enough to have to play against you, give me that little mental build up-time ;)

Thursday will be my last chance as friday I'll be moving to Madrid and then I will have no internet until the operator comes to my new house to install it. So Thursday we must be there and play the game!

ANd don't worry about me. I'm very rusty right now with my GAF team.

maxmars said:
Tanasten, as for the league, I was trying to kickstart another thing which would be more relaxed, which is here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164522

I don't know if it meets your tastes but since it's still in its inception we can shape it as we want.

But the playground is supposedly to be a non-competitive event. It's just a place were to play fun games and taste new things, discuss about techniques and so and learn while having fun.

I'm proposing a real League apart from the Cup, with complete seasons and a flexible time table to allow late comers to play versus all the people in the league at his own pace. It's a ranked list of friendly matches from NeoGAF.

BTW, I'm absolutely into the playground, it's just that Mario Strikers threads are litle active lately and moreover the playground one. Also, I'm having not too much free time lately... :(

Haunted

tanasten said:
Thursday will be my last chance as friday I'll be moving to Madrid and then I will have no internet until the operator comes to my new house to install it. So Thursday we must be there and play the game!

ANd don't worry about me. I'm very rusty right now with my GAF team.
Alright, so if you and MFauli play on Thursday, Drake and I will make sure to play the final after that - either Friday or Sunday. Cool.

And don't worry about being rusty, tanasten...
maxmars said:
I want all four to acknowledge that you can choose whatever combo of sidekicks and captains you want for the final matches.
You can use your best team as a special treat for the final match. :D

maxmars

tanasten said:
But the playground is supposedly to be a non-competitive event. It's just a place were to play fun games and taste new things, discuss about techniques and so and learn while having fun.

I'm proposing a real League apart from the Cup, with complete seasons and a flexible time table to allow late comers to play versus all the people in the league at his own pace. It's a ranked list of friendly matches from NeoGAF.

BTW, I'm absolutely into the playground, it's just that Mario Strikers threads are litle active lately and moreover the playground one. Also, I'm having not too much free time lately... :(

Re: free time: Understandable. Please don't feel obliged to play or even to tell you're busy. We will understand.

Perhaps there's too much going on for the people playing the game. I'd say let's see what sticks and what not and keep only what does. The playground concept doesn't seem to stick, so far, while the world cup does (although we must cope with default victories, more so in the summer).

Even if for a period of time we are a only few, dedicated people, we can keep playing ranked matches between ourselves after the first cup is done, like a national championship (e.g. the Lìga), waiting for more people to come and join us.. It's the nature of online games to have people coming and going.

It's important that there are people that keep playing and introducing new players, somehow. We could have an "adopt a newbie" initiative or something like that. :)

nli10

maxmars said:
Re: free time: Understandable. Please don't feel obliged to play or even to tell you're busy. We will understand.

Perhaps there's too much going on for the people playing the game. I'd say let's see what sticks and what not and keep only what does. The playground concept doesn't seem to stick, so far, while the world cup does (although we must cope with default victories, more so in the summer).

Even if for a period of time we are a only few, dedicated people, we can keep playing ranked matches between ourselves after the first cup is done, like a national championship (e.g. the Lìga), waiting for more people to come and join us.. It's the nature of online games to have people coming and going.

It's important that there are people that keep playing and introducing new players, somehow. We could have an "adopt a newbie" initiative or something like that. :)

Personally some weeks are empty - other weeks are packed to the rafters.

How about set time limit cups? One week - weekend to weekend - matches announced at the start so that people know when they are playing and who that week. This way if you are busy this week then you sit the cup out, and if you are free you play. Initial rounds are structured so that if you miss one days play you could still qualify for the Fri/Sat/Sun knockout & final. It'd be more hectic, but eliminates most of the problems that having 10 players battle it out over 1 month does.

Eg.

Mystery Cup
Nli10 's Matches
Monday: Tanasten
Tuesday: Maxmars
Wednesday: Drake
Thursday: Haunted
Friday: Group A playoff
Saturday: Group A final
Sunday: Cup Final, Cup 3rd/4th

If there were only 10 players like last time both Fri & Sat wouldn't be needed. Naturally if both players agreed matches could be played early (or late up to Thur). Play off & Final could all occur on the same day in same session if players have internet access as well as Wii access.

If only Nintendo had included some kind of tournament mode, or PM ing in game then we could manage 2 day tournaments (or even 1 day!) quite easily. :(

Eitherway - good luck for the finals - I look forwards to reading about it - i'm off HERE for 6 days :D :D :D

tanasten

nli10 said:
Personally some weeks are empty - other weeks are packed to the rafters.

How about set time limit cups? One week - weekend to weekend - matches announced at the start so that people know when they are playing and who that week. This way if you are busy this week then you sit the cup out, and if you are free you play. Initial rounds are structured so that if you miss one days play you could still qualify for the Fri/Sat/Sun knockout & final. It'd be more hectic, but eliminates most of the problems that having 10 players battle it out over 1 month does.

Eg.

Mystery Cup
Nli10 's Matches
Monday: Tanasten
Tuesday: Maxmars
Wednesday: Drake
Thursday: Haunted
Friday: Group A playoff
Saturday: Group A final
Sunday: Cup Final, Cup 3rd/4th

If there were only 10 players like last time both Fri & Sat wouldn't be needed. Naturally if both players agreed matches could be played early (or late up to Thur). Play off & Final could all occur on the same day in same session if players have internet access as well as Wii access.

If only Nintendo had included some kind of tournament mode, or PM ing in game then we could manage 2 day tournaments (or even 1 day!) quite easily. :(

Eitherway - good luck for the finals - I look forwards to reading about it - i'm off HERE for 6 days :D :D :D

Indeed, any on-line game needs a communication mode (Both, forum like and real time)

Doing the calendars is nice but not very appropriate as we saw with the Cup. It's more like doing a list of matches and that everyone is playing at is own pace those games.

tanasten, i´ll try to be online within the next hour, so if you´re there, answer here please.

Woah, i dont feel motivated at all, rather sickly... :-/ ^^

EDIT:

I´ll be online now for at least an hours...invite me if you´re online...otherwise, dont know when to play, you said yo can only play today, thursday ^^
See ya, hopefully, online.

Haunted

Capndrake said:
Just got word from Haunted that he has to go on a short trip, so the final is on sunday, not tomorrow.
That's right. Terribly sorry everybody, but, if you think about it, ending the World Cup with the final on a Sunday is only proper. :p :p

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So when will be able to hail the Champ?

I'm rootin' for Haunted... after all Netherlands already won U21 Euro Championship so he should be satisfied fo a while :lol
go Hauntie, do a "Grosso - Inzaghi" against Capndrake, go Germany go! ;)

:) :)

May the best one win!
hear that Huntie?

Haunted

Dash Kappei said:
So when will be able to hail the Champ?

I'm rootin' for Haunted... after all Netherlands already won U21 Euro Championship so he should be satisfied fo a while :lol
go Hauntie, do a "Grosso - Inzaghi" against Capndrake, go Germany go! ;)

:) :)

May the best one win!
hear that Huntie?
Thanks for the support! :) The final is scheduled to take place in roughly 6 hours, so it's only a little while before the Champ can be crowned. I was away for two days, so I hope Drake hasn't trained a lot during that time. >_< I'm feeling a little rusty, so if anyone would like to go online now, I'd be happy to play and try to get back into form for tonight. :D

edit: the last match between us (in the preliminary round) ended Drake 2 (7) - Haunted 0 (2), so he's the favourite.

edit edit: Thanks for the series, Koren!

Koren

Haunted One said:
edit edit: Thanks for the series, Koren!
Thanks a lot to you...

Those were really two good matches for me... I have regrets about the twenty first seconds of the second match, not enough concentration probably and you scored two very nice goals I never managed to get back.

You've an impressive inline record, by the way... (25-1)

I wish you the best for the finals tonight...

(and long live the cup, I hope I'll be able to join the next one)

Haunted

Capndrake said:
Could you just try to lag less next time?
hm, sorry - was it that bad for you? I experienced some lag at the beginning of the first game, but it was relatively lag-free afterwards (aside from small hiccups from time to time). I've played pretty much constantly for the last hour straight and had little to no lag all this time.

Capndrake

Haunted One said:
hm, sorry - was it that bad for you? I experienced some lag at the beginning of the first game, but it was relatively lag-free afterwards (for me, at least). I've played pretty much constantly for the last hour straight and had little to no lag all this time.
Pretty much my entire first game was laggy and caused me to miss some tackles, plus my MegaStrike went into the black instead of orange/green (And I definately didn't press when it was in the black). In the second match it caused me to miss one of your MegaStrike balls.

Dash Kappei

Capndrake said:
Could you just try to lag less next time?

Shit, this is not good at all... sorry to hear you could't play at your best :-(
But I'm sure someone else could say the same against you in previuous matches, so in the end maybe it is all straighten out (even if I can understand how irritating it is to not be able to play at your best when it's not your fault.)

Anyway, congratulation to our Vice-Champion!

So it is the lagger connection "fault" when, say, I've got a lag consistent match?
I mean, if somebody plays you without lag and yet you experience a massive one, does it means my connection's fine and the other player's the one who's got problems?

P.S.
Again, Capndrake, congrats on Netherlands winning U21 Euro Championship for the second time in a row!
You've got so many great players and hopefully this bodes well for the next World Cup, Italy won 5 out of the last seven U21 EuroCups and then went on to win FIFA World Cup 06, so... :)

Dash Kappei

Haunted One said:
Drake 0 (3) - Haunted 2 (7)

All Hail the King! :)

Bravo!

From my experience you're definitely the best player I've ever played with.
Maybe Tanasten is up there with you but I can't say for sure since my matches against him were really (but REALLY) too ****ing laggy.

Haunted

Alright, there's an update:

we'll be playing another match, since the first one seemed to be a laggy game. The results of this match will be counted and added to the match we've played before.

Keep a close look on this thread, we'll announce the results of the second match soon (I hope we're not breaking any rules.. :lol ).

maxmars

Feel free to play another game guys.. By the way, I will probably not be able to report in the main thread until tomorrow evening (I'm away tomorrow), so in the mean time the winner should think of a custom tag he likes. :D

Good luck and see you tomorrow!

Haunted

It's been settled.

Drake 1 (6) - Haunted 4 (14)

We've played a second series because of some lag issues in the first series - You see the result above. Thanks for the games, Drake, and I extend my thanks to everybody else I've played in the Cup, and all GAFfers who participated and followed this Cup - I think we all had an awesome time.

In all honesty, I still can't believe I won this thing, I never expected it after the first round. :lol

Woohoo! \o/

163875.jpg

Koren

Congrats to both of you...

I wish I could have seen the matches. Too bad there's no "Strikers TV" to watch others' matches :(

And thanks, Maxmars, for the cup, which is a great success...

Dash Kappei

Haunted One said:
Alright, there's an update:

we'll be playing another match

Not only you're the Cup winner (twice), you've also won the GAF CUP Fair Play Award!

Congrats again, a true champ! :)

Grazie to Maxmars and everyone I've played (or not) in the tournament, hope we'll do it again... GREAT SUCCESS!!!11uno!!11 :D

maxmars

:D

Congrats to the both of you!

Will follow with the questions as soon as possible (between now and tomorrow.. Still on and off the net!)

maxmars

Ok now, a few questions for both players. Please be patient, this was the final match, we need to treat it (and you) accordingly.

There are a couple of questions I'm posting separately for the winner (Haunted) and for the second (Capndrake).

For both:

*) Formation and general tactic you wanted to use.

*) How did you approach the matches? Were you confident to win? Were you eager to win?

*) What was the best skill, or perhaps tactic, of your opponent?

*) Please tell us about the connection quality and how it affected your match(es).

*) Please tell us, if you can recall, how your feelings have been throughout the cup. E.g. did you start confident to win, then wanted to give up, then had confidence again etc etc. Say whtever you want.

For Haunted:

*) How does it feel to win the first GAF cup on a Nintendo console? :D

*) What Tag are you going to ask for?

For Capndrake:

*) What would you change, if you could play again the final? Both in formation and preparation.

For both, again:

*) Are you going to play again another GAF MSC cup whenever it comes up?

*) What do you think about the game?

*) What about Nintendo WFC? Do you wish it was PSN / XBox Live? Why?

Please note that the last few questions are so that people who do not have the game / console may hear directly from you about the experience. It may come out as slightly fanboyish (whatever you say, good or bad), but I think having played a tournament entitles you to bitch / praise something. At least you have evident first hand account of the matter. :lol

As for the other final between Tanasten and MasterMFauli, are you guys going to play it? Just to know, of course.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Tomacriestearsofjoy.gif

Congrats Haunty ;)

So I should be proud that I was able to beat you some days ago :lol
Anyways glad to hear that the cup trophy is coming to germany where it belongs :p

Haunted

My captain was Daisy, with Birdo x2 as midfielders and Dry Bones in defence. The good thing with Strikers is that every character is able to score a goal if you handly him correctly, so you can be very diverse in your offence. Shooting with Birdo, Warping with Daisy, shooting and driving the ball forward with Dry Bones - the trick is in finding out which strategies work and which don't. I wanted to play aggressively, because I allowed Drake to score much too easily in our first match in the preliminary rounds, so I didn't want a repeat of that.

*) How did you approach the matches? Were you confident to win? Were you eager to win?
I was pretty calm before the match. Of course, if you're advancing into the final, you think 'why not win this thing?', but I wasn't that confident, as Drake beat me the week before. I just wanted to give it my best.

Definitely his Waluigi play. He was everywhere, defence, offence. Very dangerous to score a goal and foiling my shots wherever he could. Drake is probably the player who uses his Captain the most of all the players I've encountered so far.

*) Please tell us about the connection quality and how it affected your match(es).
ah, yes... Well, the first game we played had a 3-star connection (out of 4 possible). For me, it was slightly laggy, but I didn't have too much trouble coping with it. Drake however, said that it lagged greatly during the first game and at a crucial moment (a mega-strike) in the second game. We both didn't want to let the Cup end on such a bad note, so we agreed to play another series. This time, the experience was lag-free for him (but slightly worse than before for me, and this time around, it messed up a mega-strike for me that decided one of the games in the series >_<), but still, I won the second series, and in the end, I'm happy that we could cope with these technical issues to arrive at a fair conclusion.

*) Please tell us, if you can recall, how your feelings have been throughout the cup. E.g. did you start confident to win, then wanted to give up, then had confidence again etc etc. Say whatever you want.
Well, the first thing was that I wanted to have fun, and I wanted everyone else to have fun, and I think the Cup definitely accomplished that mission right from the start up until the end. :D
Considering my winning chances... At first I thought that I'd at least try to get into the semi-finals. I knew there were some really strong players on GAF, so I didn't really think of winning the Cup. Especially right before my match vs tanasten, I basically thought 'Now it's all over - just try to go down with a fight' :lol. I never expected to win that game 2-0, so that just was a great feeling. After that, I generally thought: 'If you advance into the final, why not win this thing?' But honestly, I never really expected to win the Cup during any stage.

*) How does it feel to win the first GAF cup on a Nintendo console? :D
:lol it feels great, naturally. One thing that was funny to me was the fact that many of the US guys here on GAF claim 'there's no online on the Wii, where are the online games?' while, simultaneously, we are organising and playing this whole Tournament with lots of players from several different countries (Netherlands, Italy, UK, Germany etc.).. and it's all online and on the Wii.

*) What Tag are you going to ask for?
Just look under my username in a couple days for the answer to that one. ;)

Absolutely. I mean, as the titleholder, I'm just obligated to do that. :D But even if I'd have lost in the first round, I'd be there day 1 for the next Cup. It was just too much fun to pass on that.

It's a fantastic game. Fast, hectic, intense, but always reliant on the skill level, imagination and strategy of the players. The game is insanely balanced as well. Pretty much every combination of team-mates and captain can win the game, and there are so many ways to play strategically. I really have to say that this is one of the best Wii games I've played, and the best arcade sports game there is on any console. (Sorry Sega Soccer Slam :D)

Apart from laggy games (maybe 10-15 out of the 300 I played) and frequent server issues in the first two weeks after release, I think the service is pretty solid. They've consolidated the servers after about two weeks, so I haven't experienced many disconnects or other major technical difficulties recently. Of course, regarding the overall Nintendo WFC strategy, there's still lots of possible improvements, especially in regard to what the competition has already built (stuff like a friends list for all the games, or a demo channel (that would be so awesome)), so we should keep bitching about the stuff that could be better. :)
But to come back to Mario Strikers... what's definitely missing is the ability to somehow communicate in-game (via voice or text messaging), which would make some things in the lobby so much easier. I always have to log on to GAF and post here to talk about the games I've played with other GAFfers. :D

whew, I wrote a lot. Hopefully you can make it seem less boring in your write-up, max. :lol

Again, thanks to maxmars for taking the time to organise the Cup, doing the scheduling, writing all the interviews and write-ups in the other thread. Hopefully you're on board for the next Cup as well!

Toma said:
Tomacriestearsofjoy.gif

Congrats Haunty ;)

So I should be proud that I was able to beat you some days ago :lol
Anyways glad to hear that the cup trophy is coming to germany where it belongs :p
:lol Thanks, Toma.

Capndrake

Waluigi, Boo, Monty Mole, Hammer Bro, same strategies as last time.

I was confident to win since I beat Haunted in my very first match. Guess that didn't hold up.

Birdo potshots.

A bit of lag hit me just when I was blocking a MegaStrike shot, causing me to miss it and lose the match. But we did a rematch and Haunted still won, so yeah.

*) Please tell us, if you can recall, how your feelings have been throughout the cup. E.g. did you start confident to win, then wanted to give up, then had confidence again etc etc. Say whtever you want.
Was pretty confident I could win it until Haunted suddenly got better than before and beat me.

*) What would you change, if you could play again the final? Both in formation and preparation.
Nothing would change about my formation, but I would try to take more potshots at the goal with Monty Mole (I never did, and he's a power player after all).

Yes.

Best Wii game out right now.

It's fine as it is right now, the only thing I would like is the ability to chat between games in every game (Only possible in a few games right now).

Haunted

max, you should cut down my answers so it doesn't look like I'm a rambling old man compared to Drake's concise and to the point answers. :lol

Drake said:
Was pretty confident I could win it until Haunted suddenly got better than before and beat me.
:D

maxmars

Very good, I'll try to put up a write up for the cup today / this evening.

Haunted: of course I want to play again.. I'm not doing this for the glory, as that is for the winners. :lol

I'm just wary of the fact that I'm going to be on / off for the most part of july (e.g. next week I'll be without internet & the wii for the week), so it would probably be better if someone who's going to be at home would try to setup the next one (which could start right tomorrow, for what matters).

Certainly we can keep what worked, the rules, the posting format (we don't need to rewrite every word, copy/paste works very well), change whatever we feel didn't work and try a slightly different formula. Or just go with this one.

I think the person organizing everything should ask for advices, then decide some changes (if any) and put those to test. At the end of the tourney we'll see what worked, what not, etc etc.

In a few iterations we'll have the perfect cup. :D

Catch you all later.

tanasten

Ey guys, my first post from my new house there in Pozuelo de Alarcón, next to Madrid :D

I'm sorry I could not play the game versus MasterMfauli. The problem uis that I will not be able to play soon because I don't have a TV right now... and the TV Capturer just doesn't work on XP.

I will look to buy a new TV capturer ASAP, but it will be not early. Maybe I will buy a new Monitor that does have HDTV conection and will buy component cables for the Wii. I don't know. I have to check it.

If I use component cables, can I play any game on the Wii? Or does those non-ready-for component games became the famous black screen? I must to learn how it works...

maxmars

Hi Tanasten,

if you've got problems, we can skip the final for 3rd-4th place.

As for your question, I'm pretty sure the only games which may have problems with component cables are certain Virtual Console titles.

MSC should play quite fine with such cables -- it surely looks gorgeous with the RGB ones and my CRT. It doesn't make me a better player, though. :lol

maxmars

People,

I have posted my writeup for the cup in the main thread. Feel free to post there to congratulate, mock the other players, and to start scheduling the next cup. Can't wait to play again! :D

maxmars

Well what better moment than this to see who's going to play next cup? :D

Myke Greywolf
Maxmars
Haunted One
Capndrake

Somebody else?

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
I might as well post my information right away:

Forum name: Myke Greywolf
Mii name: Myke
MSCF friend code: 309339 398350

Captains:
- Donkey Kong
- Bowser

Sidekicks:
- 2 x Birdo
- 2 x Hammer Bros.
- 1 x Dry Bones

maxmars

It's always good to have great film directors on board, mr. Kurosawa.

Myke Greywolf
Maxmars
Haunted One
Capndrake
Kurosawa

I think we want to start a new thread for the new cup, in the meantime those who played, why don't you post your suggestions for changes to the rules / organization?

Team members, scheduling, stadiums and so on and so forth. :)

Capndrake

My team's the same as last time.

I think a simple new rule could be that the Home player can pick whatever stadium he/she wants to play in as long as it's featureless (In the case of some new stadiums that means you have to turn on the Secure Stadia cheat). I'm a bit tired of a plain grass field to be honest.

Haunted

Capndrake said:
My team's the same as last time.

I think a simple new rule could be that the Home player can pick whatever stadium he/she wants to play in as long as it's featureless (In the case of some new stadiums that means you have to turn on the Secure Stadia cheat). I'm a bit tired of a plain grass field to be honest.
I second that, although I don't know if everyone has unlocked that cheat - so I think that as long as it's a featureless stadium, those should be fine.

Capndrake said:
Me and my 3rd/4th place homies demand a 2nd/3rd/4th place tag, yo.
*looks at new tag* :D

Top Bottom