• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark of the Ninja |OT| The Art of Stealth

dreamfall

Looks really awesome. I've always enjoyed Klei games, and it's really neat that Stealth is the focus now with such a brilliant art style. I'm excited!

bede-x

This is reviewing much better than I thought it would. Yet another interesting XBLA title this year and we're long past the point where a 360 is worth it for XBLA alone.

Can't wait to try this when I get home.

S1kkZ

so far (in level 5) the best xbla titel this year, together with dust elysian tail.
the game is fantastic and it seems pretty long. if you lik stealth games: buy it. if you usually dont like stealth games (like me) try the demo and then buy it ;)

I had no idea this was out so soon. Looks great. I love the Shank games (playing 2 right now) so I can't wait to check this out.

JebusF

Neo Member
God Is A Geek - 9/10

Great reviews so far, also the game has a New Game+ option which is always welcome. :)

Ta for the link there, we've also got a first 10 minutes video up now, but you should just grab the trial.

One of the best XBLA releases of the year for me. And I don't normally like stealth games!!

Klei really do make fantastic games.

EagleEyes

Yes, there is a possibility, and it will probably be on PC/PSN some time in the future.
PC probably in the future since its Windows but PSN is unlikely since this is actually a Microsoft Studios game unlike the Braids and Limbos. BTW what a great game so far(up to chapter 5).

Zia

Polygon

Mark of Ninja is cohesive, a triumphant meeting of creative level design and well-executed controls. The story is memorable and rewarding. When the credits rolled, I wanted to go again, playing differently than the first time through. Mark of the Ninja feels like Klei's coming of age game, a more mature adventure that salvages the gore, guts, and grime that defined its previous work, and scraps the rest in a surgical maneuver — the work of game design ninjas. 8.5

Edit: 9.0 at IGN.

Edit-edit: 9.0 from GamesRadar: http://www.gamesradar.com/mark-of-the-ninja-review/.

Feindflug

so far (in level 5) the best xbla titel this year, together with dust elysian tail.
the game is fantastic and it seems pretty long. if you lik stealth games: buy it. if you usually dont like stealth games (like me) try the demo and then buy it ;)

OK this sounds freakin' awesome, can't wait to finally play it tomorrow. :)

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Looks really fun. I like the active reload QTE with the backstabs. If you mess them up enemies make noise and alert nearby guards as you kill them.

Neat mechanic for the game and adds something more to backstabbing in a 2D game, which would probably be alot more boring without it.

Will remember this when it comes to PC

Lima

What was the timespan between Shank on Live and the PC release. I'm now considering just waiting it out for a possible PC version.

Game came out in August on 360/PS3 and October on PC. If you enjoy it just buy it. This will probably not look better on PC.

Even now with the glowing reviews I look at screenshots and think "how varied could the stealth possibly be on just a single screen with little movement options?". Guess I'll have to buy and find out!

Decado

Argh. I thought it was going to be 800 points :( For that, I'd have bit the bullet, but at 1200 the death animations look so feeble and cheap. It's a bit of a sticking point, for me.

Phinor

The demo impressed me enough to earn a buy. I've had enough of douple dipping though, if there's a chance for a PC version, I'll keep waiting for that. Now for the hard part - trying to forget all about the game until PC release is imminent.

I have too many games to play right now, why do I want to buy this?!?

Demo is awesome though, and the teaser video at the end of the different skill paths.. o lawd they all look like fun.

Gowans

Super loving this game, I normally skip stealth games unless it's top tier (& fun) stealth and this is.

Zampano

This game is great. It's funny because it's pretty much the exact game I dreamt up when I was about 15 and used to make up game ideas. Just got my first no kill bonus.

This would be a great game for a level editor.

TripOpt55

I have 1040 MSP on my account :| Bummer. So I am downloading the demo until I get some more. Not even sure what gave me this odd amount of points. I must have gotten something on sale I guess.

Staal

Damn, the text of those reviews is really interesting. If this is really that good, it is shaping up to be an excellent year fo XBLA.

Vert boil

Two of the devs are on the Brainy Gamer podcast that was released to coincide with the game.

http://brainygamer.libsyn.com/brainy-gamer-podcast-episode-37
Welcome to a special Ninja Edition of the Brainy Gamer podcast!

In this edition I talk with Nels Anderson and Chris Dahlen, Lead Designer and Narrative Designer of the new game Mark of the Ninja.

We discuss the development process for the game, the challenges and opportunities of working in the independent space, and why Chris is the Oscar Hammerstein of game writing...among many other topics.

lmao at the Polygon review saying that this is more "mature" than Shank. It's just as goofy and over-the-top, just with an Asian action flick edge rather than a pulp fiction edge.

Game is fantastic.

justjim89

It's frustrating to no end that so many promising Indie games these days comes to XBLA first. Microsoft, Moneyhats, etc.

Top Bottom