• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark of the Ninja |OT| The Art of Stealth

Haliela

Must be frustrating having to bend the knee to MS to play those great games.

Must be frustrating having to bend the knee to Sony to play those great games.

...it works both ways? Oh yeah, it's Microsoft so <insert brainless MS hate here>.

lmao at the Polygon review saying that this is more "mature" than Shank. It's just as goofy and over-the-top, just with an Asian action flick edge rather than a pulp fiction edge.
Pretty sure they're referring to the level of execution and sophistication of design, not whether it's more or less dudebro themed or whatever.

Game is fantastic.
Absolutely. 2D Tenchu crossed up with some Batman AA/AC speedy navigation and even a little bit of a Ninja Five O-feel in there.

I'm not saying they shouldn't come to Xbox at all. I don't care, I'm never buying one. But the constant 'timed exclusive' business does bug me.

Lol, that's like complaining about why 360 doesn't get Journey or Machinarium. Exclusive games is what makes a platform more compelling than the other.

Also:

Orqwx.png

Grimsen

Must be frustrating having to bend the knee to Sony to play those great games.

...it works both ways? Oh yeah, it's Microsoft so <insert brainless MS hate here>.

It does indeed work every which way. Port begging sucks.

Definitely buying this game when I get home. Wasn't a fan of Shank, but the gameplay in this seems more puzzly. I'm definitely intrigued.

/facepalm

This port begging in all the XBLA threads is fucking annoying. I don't remember anyone complaining about this in the (i.e.) Sound Shapes thread :/

My post was prety much poking at port beggers who refuse to play games on a platform for whatever high horse reason.

moai

oh god this thread is frustating, trying to find opinions on the game through waves of posts "why is this game not on my console of choice".

Skilletor

How are you liking Deadlight? I've yet to pull the trigger on that game after reading mixed impressions.

I haven't played much, but my impressions aren't very positive. The controls don't seem to respond the way I want them to sometimes. It seems like there should be some sense of tension, but, so far (only about an hour in), I move faster than the zombies are ever able to, so it doesn't feel like I'm in any danger. I saw it compared to Flashback or Out of this World, but that hasn't been the case at all so far.

I've only got an hour in, and the art style is at least enough to keep me playing a bit more to see if the sense of danger amps up. The atmosphere is really nice and I'd like both of those things to match up.

I played through the tutorial of this game and am completely hooked. I doubt I'll get back to Deadlight while I have stuff to do in this game.

keit4

Banned
Must be frustrating having to bend the knee to MS to play those great games.

/facepalm

This port begging in all the XBLA threads is fucking annoying. I don't remember anyone complaining about this in the (i.e.) Sound Shapes thread :/

nullref

Game is good, so far.

Does anyone know if the New Game+ increases the challenge in any way, or if it just lets you carry over your upgrades? If not, some kind of Hard mode, maybe with checkpoints only at level boundaries and/or limited lives would have been cool.

Game is good, so far.

Does anyone know if the New Game+ increases the challenge in any way, or if it just lets you carry over your upgrades? If not, some kind of Hard mode, maybe with checkpoints only at level boundaries and/or limited lives would have been cool.

From the IGN review:

All of these added perks culminate in the highly recommended New Game Plus mode, in which the enemies get tougher but you’ve got access to your full arsenal of unlocked goodies right from the first stage.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Lol, that's like complaining about why 360 doesn't get Journey or Machinarium. Exclusive games is what makes a platform more compelling than the other.

Also:

Orqwx.png
This is pretty much it, and if you are co publishing on other platforms the XBLA version NEEDS to have some exclusive content

Blame Sony for not stepping their game up enough to combat XBLA

Just finished the first level. Fun and satisfying stealth mechanics, and it looks lovely in motion. The gameplay reminds me of the stealth bits from the Arkham games, only in 2D. This game probably should have been in the Summer of Arcade lineup. But yeah, you guys should totally buy this.

aku:jiki

This game is just awesome. Really, really didn't think anything this year was going to top Dust for me, but damn...

How did Klei release Shank 2 and whip this up in the same year? Are they a much bigger team nowadays?

Having a ball playing this, really fun and challenging. Are the shanks games good? I think I might get them if they are as good as this.

MyEpitomeCliché;41868187 said:
Just finished the first level. Fun and satisfying stealth mechanics, and it looks lovely in motion. The gameplay reminds me of the stealth bits from the Arkham games, only in 2D. This game probably should have been in the Summer of Arcade lineup. But yeah, you guys should totally buy this.

I never understood why the Batman games didn't incorporate "hidden in shadows" mechanic. I mean it's fucking Batman.

Loving the game though. At the end score screen for the first level, it put a smile on my face that you can get a huge score for completing it without killing anyone.

Having a ball playing this, really fun and challenging. Are the shanks games good? I think I might get them if they are as good as this.

I enjoyed both Shank games a lot. It isn't really similar to Mark of The Ninja though. It has beat em up combat with some platforming elements.

Adam J.

Just played for a couple hours and had to tear myself away--so damn fun and addicting!

I enjoyed the Shank series for what they were (mindless hack n' shoot fun) but this game is on a whole other level. Everything about it feels polished--I wouldn't be surprised if It ends up being one of the best original titles on XBLA.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Looks really awesome, but my 360 is dead due to RROD at the moment. I don't think it's a port beg, but it would be great if it came out on Steam or PSN, since I probably won't be repairing my 360 any time soon (I'm currently building a gaming PC, so all my funds are going there right now).

Still, it's looking damn hot. Is it from the guys that made Shank? I liked what I played of the first one (I'm about 3 quarters done with it, I think). I really like the theme of this one, though.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
1. Congrats to my man Jamie and the Klei group. More Vancouver success stories, please!
2. STFU with the port begging. It'll cost you from here on in.
3. Pick up this game immediately.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
All of these XBLA games releasing have been killing me lately since I can't play them, but I'm wondering, my 360 is an old one (like, non-HDMI old), so do you guys think I should bother getting it repaired, or just buy a new one?

I've been debating it for a while now, and I'm not sure. I also saw someone mention Deadlight. That looked fricking sweet as well, I didn't realize it was out.

One of the things I really miss about my Xbox is the Arcade. I like having all the systems around for stuff like that (which is why I'm building my PC). I think the indie game dev scene on consoles has been awesome this generation, so it smarts like a bitch to not be able to play these XBLA games at the moment.

So, new console, or repair the old one? I'm thinking of just getting a new one. I'm itching to play some of this stuff like Dust, Deadlight, finish my Torchlight playthrough, etc, but I don't think it's worth it at this point to repair my old one. I don't eve know how much repairing it would cost.

I enjoyed both Shank games a lot. It isn't really similar to Mark of The Ninja though. It has beat em up combat with some platforming elements.

Thanks, I appreciate the reply. I think I'll try the demo first.

I saw someone mentioned challenge rooms, how are they unlocked? During progression or are they hidden like the challenge rooms in dust?

Thanks, I appreciate the reply. I think I'll try the demo first.

I saw someone mentioned challenge rooms, how are they unlocked? During progression or are they hidden like the challenge rooms in dust?

They are hidden throughout the levels. When you activate one, you are teleported to the challenge room.

see5harp

All of these XBLA games releasing have been killing me lately since I can't play them.

Buy a new system around Christmas when the prices drop like crazy. If you are only using the system for XBLA, it will easily be the quietest device in your entertainment system. You should be able to get an arcade for $150 and you can use a generic USB stick for games.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Buy a new system around Christmas when the prices drop like crazy. If you are only using the system for XBLA, it will easily be the quietest device in your entertainment system. You should be able to get an arcade for $150 and you can use a generic USB stick for games.

Yeah, thanks for the advice. I'll definitely do that. It's going to be a long wait, but at least I know I'll have a ton of games to check out. I've been out of the XBLA loop for almost a year now. It's been painful seeing all of the games being announced and then releasing. I pretty much only use my 360 for the arcade, and occasional games like Deadly Premonition and Alan Wake (it died while I was about an hour or two into Deadly Premonition. :( ).

Thanks again!

This game is looking so damn hot, though!

Damn, was hoping one of the avatar awards would be a free ninja outfit.

just a t-shirt for beating the game, and a nicer t-shirt for beating it on NG+

Apdiddy

Finished the trial and....I loved every second. I love that there's no right way to play -- you can play it very stealthy and avoid confrontation, selectively kill enemies, or scare the crap outta them with your kills.

This is getting bought and I would go as far as to say it might be a sleeper hit.

I saw the IGN video review (very positive) and all these positive impressions have me tempted...

But Deadlight left a really bad taste in my mouth and, I dont like the whimsical art style.

Doombear

Bought. Eyeballed the demo for a minute then just said "Eff it!" and bought the the whole thing. Loving it so far. Seems like there is going to be a decent replay-ability to it as well!

cackhyena

I saw the IGN video review (very positive) and all these positive impressions have me tempted...

But Deadlight left a really bad taste in my mouth and, I dont like the whimsical art style.

So play the demo and see if the game play overrides your dislike of the art style. This works better because of that style for me.

My advice when you try the demo - bump the brightness up into the 50s. If your TV is anything like mine, the default brightness was terribly low.

Someone asked if it was 60FPS. Appears to my eyes that yes it is. Super smooth. Controls are tight, which they need to be in a game that requires as much precision as this one does. XBLA has been on a year-long roll for me in 2012. Much moreso than retail.

Skilletor

Damn this game is super amazing. The level design, controls, graphics are all so crisp. It feels like a 2D Tenchu. So good.

Top Bottom