• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Zuckerberg Says He's No Longer An Atheist, Believes "Religion Is Very Important"

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjinaz

Ahhh yes, I expected GAF to be extremely defensive about this and you guys didn't disappoint. :p

Great for Mark.

Seems to me like it's a mixed bag on "defensiveness", with many calling those out that called him out, but dang that old GAF anyway.

rjinaz

We stole it from pagans originally so maybe it's for the best.

As soon as Santa came along, that was the end of a religious day. Santa is the only figure prayed to on that day by most anybody.

But anyway, people can believe what they want. I mostly get annoyed with the "stop saying happy holidays" people that don't celebrate Christmas correctly anyway.

Airola

Sounds like a classic "I'm gonna leave it ambiguous and let people read whatever they want into it" PR statement.

I think the only ambiguous thing in that was which religion he is leaning towards.

Him not being an atheist anymore seems to be very clear:
"Aren't you an atheist?"
"No."

If he'd still be an atheist and would try to take steps around it and sound ambiguous, he would've just said "I think religion is important" without the "no" part.

Also, there are people who don't feel they follow any religion but they still believe in a metaphysical creator.

Apathy

Zuckerberg is just gearing up for that Presidential run in a few decades. He know's people won't for an avowed atheist

True, an outward atheist has about a good a chance of winning the US presidency as I do of getting a date with Emilia Clarke, but it will still be hard if he identifies as Jewish. People tried to demonize JFK cause he was Catholic saying he was going to take offers from the Pope. There are also large sections of the US where just like they won't vote for a black man, and they won't vote for a woman, they won't vote for a Jewish man of background or faith.

This isn't the case at all.

Children are religious because of their parents.

Adolescents and young adults are not because they are interested in questioning/distancing themselves from authoritarian forces in their lives.

Middle-Adulthood is the most loose period. Some people return to religion because of their spouse/children, others remain comfortably agnostic or form their own personal beliefs based on their experiences.

Late-Adulthood sees a huge return to religion as friends and family begin to pass away more frequently, the desire for community pushes people back to the open arms of their local religious centers.

Personally, I'll never criticize anyone for their beliefs as long as they aren't actively harmful to others. The most devout Atheists are just as annoying as the most devout Christians, arguing about things that are impossible to prove or disprove.
I didn't question my religion because I was interested in distancing myself from authority, I was incredibly non rebellious as a middle and highschooler, it was the logical conclusion of me questioning concepts/beliefs from the moment I convinced the other boys in my class that cooties weren't real in first grade, all the way to when I questioned Santa's authenticity and broke the news he wasn't real to a friend and polled my class to see who believed in him still and not.
It was the result of trying to convince my friend to come to my Baptist church with me in 6th grade while my Jehovah's Witness tried to convince him to go to his and realizing that there was truly no greater reason for him to go to mine or any reason why my church was the proper one.
It was the result of reading my Bible and questioning it, asking questions, seeing my church friends deciding to get baptized and become official members of the church and feeling like they didn't really grasp what was going on and that they just felt like they needed to do it culturally, of reading religious debates online, and hearing the pastor and reverend speak blatantly false stuff.
Utimately by 8th grade I fully checked out of religious belief despite not having an issue with the people at my church (they're kind folks) as it just didn't make sense or coincide with my morals, but there was no rebellion, only thing I did is refuse to set foot in the church again.

Plenty of young people fall out of religious belief through simple questioning and not as an act of rebellion, and I don't see how those two are mutually exclusive.

CSJ

I think people who are able to change opinions on these things are the best type of people. It means they are capable of critical thinking, just because I believed in the tooth fairy as a kid does not mean I am stuck in that belief. Rather rigid people display lack of critical thinking or any type of thinking that strays outside their norm. This is how ignorance is born.

How's that effect your opinion on the millions of people who stick to one religion?
Why is that worse than people that convert?

Maybe I don't understand, because my op stated specifically religions and adults, not children and something else.

Critical thinking indeed.

JohnsonUT

I couldn't tell you the last time I heard "Christ" mentioned on Christmas. My family all consider themselves Christians mind you.

My Mom used to have a little nativity figure scene she would put up at least but she stopped doing that years ago.

Christians like to think of it as their holiday but really it's not anymore, it's for everybody.

It is such a weird holiday to be so polarizing. It is a religious holiday full of different ethnic traditions that originally usurped another "religion's" holiday and that has become a secular/cultural/marketing holiday. It is this weird conglomerate holiday that disparate groups of people can be offended about for different reasons.

good for Zuck.

it shouldn't even be an on/off thing. people are not computers. imo it's best when everyone tried to educate themselves and leaves tribalism at the door.

fwiw i don't see how anyone can pretend to be scientifically minded and then ignore the predominant world culture of the past 2000 years.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
fwiw i don't see how anyone can pretend to be scientifically minded and then ignore the predominant world culture of the past 2000 years.

Who ignores anything? Angry atheists spend more time thinking about religion than virtually all religious practitioners.

karasu

Is it so hard to believe that someone has found religion after a phase of uncertainty that you have to create political conspiracies to justify his words? Jesus.

do i have to take my poster down of him for being an atheist icon? he was between Harris and Gervais, the mount rushmore of enlightened people.

spekkeh

Banned
Is it so hard to believe that someone has found religion after a phase of uncertainty that you have to create political conspiracies to justify his words? Jesus.
A smart guy want for nothing? Yes.

But I don't see that he does it for a political career. An atheist RINO sleazeball was just elected for office and the conservative Christians were ecstatic. Nobody cares for religion anymore as long as you sling dirt at your group's opponent.

Who ignores anything? Angry atheists spend more time thinking about religion than virtually all religious practitioners.

you need to realize that asking questions of religion is not something invented by atheists, it is a long part of religion itself. we are talking thousands of years worth of commentary, debate, philosophy, etc. angry atheists probably convinced themselves they spend more time thinking about it but this ironically wouldn't be the first time they believed something that doesn't exist.

rjinaz

Hmm, well personally I don't care one way or the other honestly, but, I think that it's just as easy to see how somebody saying Merry Christmas or even denying atheism doesn't mean that they found religion which I think is the point many of these people are making. If he did, then he did. But its a vague statement without much meaning.

I have just a teensy bit of doubt regarding a claim that the percentage of misogynists is higher among atheists than among the religious.

I mean, lol. Check your history books, religious texts, or newspapers.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
good for Zuck.

it shouldn't even be an on/off thing. people are not computers. imo it's best when everyone tried to educate themselves and leaves tribalism at the door.

Hmmmmmmmm what?

Yes, everyone should educate themselves, absolutely! The more educated and the less ignorant people we have, the more rational and enlightened and the less superstitious the world will become. Sounds great!

And who's ignoring what? Many atheists probably know more about religion X than most who practice it. It's important to know what you're talking about.

The more you research about religion the more angry you get. The scientologists have it right, almost none of their followers are told what their whole religious underpinning is. Everyone would love Lost way more if they just cancelled it at it's peak instead of trying to finish it. Ignorance is bliss, as everyone knows.

good for Zuck.

hm?

Atheists don't "ignore" religion. It's impossible to do that unless you live as a hermit and never communicate with people. A lot Atheists make such a transition after going through introspection of whatever faith they were raised on by their family.

It is also behind the start of organized human civilization. Everything we do and how we live is governed by religion. Even if you do away with organized religion, humanity invents new things everyday. Where do you think the concept of not stealing came from? The majority of the world's charities are run by religious groups etc.

What? The concept of not stealing probably came from one dude having his shit stolen and saying "wow, this sucks, we really shouldn't do that" and anyone with empathy agrees.

Jag

When you become a parent, your worldview tends to change. It's possible he's changed his views as a result of having a family now.

When I read claims like that I have to wonder how many people out there think Atheists have no moral compass.

I've been told that morality has been written on my heart by god. Even if I don't believe in it.

When you become a parent, your worldview tends to change. It's possible he's changed his views as a result of having a family now.

Ironically, I decided to dump religion entirely when I found out I was having my first child. I didn't/don't want him to go through the same trauma as I did growing up, fearing Hell for himself and for the ones he loves.

Two Words

The idea of finding religion as an adult is very foreign to me. I get how people remain religious after being indoctrinated into it since childhood. It kinda becomes a part of you if you were raised that way. I guess I can also understand how the desperate and downtrodden are turned to religion. It makes sense how a prisoner can find religion while incarcerated. Desperation can cause people to look for new answers like that. For others, is it mainly about dealing with your eventual death?

qcf x2

It's like the "Obama is really atheist he just plays along" stuff from yrs back. Which is about as asinine as "Obama is really Muslim."

Good for Zuck I suppose, non-news imo.

Future

As a kid grow up following religious orders from your parents. See religion as a bunch of tasks and chores and things to do

As a teen and young adult question those orders and gravitate towards atheism, freeing yourself from all those duties previously imposed

As an adult with a family and a new sense of your own mortality, return somewhat to religion for the warmth it provides

That somewhat describes me. I am certainly not religious now, never go to church or do any of the work associated with a religion. But atheism is often cold as shit, and anyone talking about it usually sounds angry and frigid. While religious people (not interested in converting anyone) seem much warmer and nicer and I wouldn't be surprised if I embraced that more as I get older. Especially as your health starts to go and you start thinking about what's next

When you got kids, mortgage, job.... ya just got enough shit to deal with that you just don't have the energy to be mad at religion anymore. Especially when the desired result of it is a happy sense of community and passing of life. Wouldn't be surprised if many others go through a similar path

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'd believe in God too if I found myself sitting on top of a world dominating technology in my early 20s.

and feminism. idk why but youtube has showed me that angry atheists really hate feminism.

Feminists are angry atheists so they hate themselves? You want to find the angry people who don't think that abortion should be legal or that they should be more restricted in what they can do in public than men?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
But atheism is often cold as shit, and anyone talking about it usually sounds angry and frigid. While religious people (not interested in converting anyone) seem much warmer and nicer and I wouldn't be surprised if I embraced that more as I get older.

I hear and read about more hatred and intolerance spewed by religious people on a weekly basis than I think I have from atheists my entire life.

And there's nothing "cold" about being an atheist. There's all the warmth and wonder of life, the universe, etc, without any need to bring superstitions into it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It is also behind the start of organized human civilization. Everything we do and how we live is governed by religion. Even if you do away with organized religion, humanity invents new things everyday. Where do you think the concept of not stealing came from? The majority of the world's charities are run by religious groups etc.

Utter nonsense. The social contracts governing how we (should) treat each other were created by people, and initially sprang from an evolutionary need to get along and survive together as a group. There's a pretty obvious evolutionary advantage to the idea that you should not kill your neighbor, for example. Religion is not necessary to explain anything at all.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I think the only ambiguous thing in that was which religion he is leaning towards.

Him not being an atheist anymore seems to be very clear:
"Aren't you an atheist?"
"No."

If he'd still be an atheist and would try to take steps around it and sound ambiguous, he would've just said "I think religion is important" without the "no" part.

Also, there are people who don't feel they follow any religion but they still believe in a metaphysical creator.

He can weasel very easily out of that hole by identifying as agnostic, or believing in mother nature or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom