• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

FeD.nL

I really wonder, if and when, we are going to see the Leader. I really think Hulk worked so well in the Avengers is because he wasn't in the movie the whole time. And since dr. Selvig knows Samuel Sterns he might show up in Thor?

Hulk and Thor tag teaming the Leader and ? would be awesome.

Blader

I really wonder, if and when, we are going to see the Leader. I really think Hulk worked so well in the Avengers is because he wasn't in the movie the whole time. And since dr. Selvig knows Samuel Sterns he might show up in Thor?

Hulk and Thor tag teaming the Leader and ? would be awesome.

It's Banner that Selvig knows, not Sterns.

Unless something in the Avengers implied otherwise

FeD.nL

It's Banner that Selvig knows, not Sterns.

Unless something in the Avengers implied otherwise

In Thor he says something along the lines 'I know an expert in gamma radiation until S.H.I.E.L.D came knocking on his door and wasn't heard from again'.

In TIH S.H.I.E.L.D took Sterns into custody when his head was beginning to swell up.

DarkWish

In Thor he says something along the lines 'I know an expert in gamma radiation until S.H.I.E.L.D came knocking on his door and wasn't heard from again'.

In TIH S.H.I.E.L.D took Sterns into custody when his head was beginning to swell up.
Actually, that was supposed to be a reference to Hank Pym, but they took his name out, according to Kevin Feige in an interview: http://collider.com/kevin-feige-interview-thor-avengers-iron-man-3-ant-man-doctor-strange/88459/

EDIT: Nevermind, I can't read. That person taken by SHIELD is Banner, and then Selvig mentions a person he could email who is Hank.

Just watched The Avengers. Goddamn am I pissed that we'll most likely never see Spidey and/or Wolverine. Gonna try to get my hands on the other Marvel Studios flicks and rewatch Iron Man 1 and 2. Mahvel hype got me pretty good :(

They wouldn't be going up against Thanos so soon. It wouldn't just be the current 6 Avengers either, unless you think Marvel Studios is going to sit on their ass for the next 4-5 years doing nothing. Avengers isn't going to be a 2014 movie. We're looking at Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 in 2013, with Captain America 2 and other potential unconfirmed projects in 2014. Avengers 2 could be 2015, or they could wait even longer if they have good properties in the pipeline to build it up further.

Avengers was a long-term plan, and Avengers 2 will be a long-term plan too imo. By the time the shit hits the fan again, the world will be ready.

I just can't see it happening. Thanos is basically god like if wiki is to be believed. He's far too overpowered for the avengers alone to take on.

Even with Panther, Ant-Man, Wasp, he seems too formidable and overpowered an enemy for such a 'mortal' team to face off against and win and I don't think it would make for a particularly interesting movie and the finale would leave a very sour taste in people's mouths.

They can't take him prisoner, they can't beat him down, they can't do much beyond being a nuisance, how would that make for a good movie?

It'd be like Darksied being in a Supes movie, it would make for some epic action/fight scenes, but Supes can't realistically hope to defeat him, the most he can do is basically be a nuisance and beat down on him some...

It sounds great on paper, but it wouldn't translate well to film.

We’ve heard that Marvel could make another solo Hulk movie after all, but seeing how well the character works in The Avengers, it seems he’s best used as a supporting player. For what it’s worth, Ruffalo did tell Movieline “I would hope [a Hulk spin-off would do well]! But they have a lot of other movies that they’re making. [Laughs] They have three already in the works. I’d be totally open to it, but I think that’s a long way away.

I'd be down for this, just don't go crazy and think a solo movie will work, it won't.

I think he new sequels will make less than the originals/avengers. Studios will panic and just make Avengers 3.

I'm not so sure, I thought comic book movies were falling from grace after Cap Am did average numbers, but Avengers seems to have reinvigorated the genre somewhat the BO.

I doubt solo movies will ever make as much (for obvious reasons), but I don't think they'll do so badly as to force Marvel to abandon them and push for A3.

remnant

Banned
With
Thanos
here as the new big bad, what are the chances we see
Nova
or
The Guardians of the galaxy
in a movie. A Marvel
Cosmic
movie.

With
Thanos
here as the new big bad, what are the chances we see
Nova
or
The Guardians of the galaxy
in a movie. A Marvel
Cosmic
movie.

There were talks about a
Guardians of the Galaxy
movie, but I heavily doubt it'll ever be done.

noah111

Still Alive
There were talks about a
Guardians of the Galaxy
movie, but I heavily doubt it'll ever be done.
Same here, it seems like one of those things they were just in talks about, rather than deep in bed with. I think a Runaways movies is more likely, but even that seems like an off chance. Same with Inhumans. I have the feeling we'll see Thanos in some capacity, even if only in a post-credits scene, in Thor 2. It's probably going to be a lot more 'cosmic' in terms of getting to see the 9 realms, so who knows..

I'd be down for this, just don't go crazy and think a solo movie will work, it won't.
It could work, but they will have to do it in a way that they've never done before. And he's talking about the three sequels (IM3, Thor 2, CA2) so by earliest we see a Hulk movie in 2014 (summer/fall).

At this point, by fears about the MCU is that after those three movies are done, we won't see anything for a year. I really hope they have something, be it Ant-Man or whoever, ready soon-after CA2.

I'd be down for a Planet Hulk movie. Intelligent Hulk with no Banner in sight would be perfect. Not sure if it would sell to the gen pub though.

Honestly, I think they'll delay something if they can't get any traction on an Ant-Man movie. What other movie rights do Marvel have?

duckroll

I'd be down for a Planet Hulk movie. Intelligent Hulk with no Banner in sight would be perfect. Not sure if it would sell to the gen pub though.

Honestly, I think they'll delay something if they can't get any traction on an Ant-Man movie. What other movie rights do Marvel have?

I think they've been trying to get Doctor Strange off the ground too, but that's another tough sell. It would be hard to conceptualize a live action movie which fits the tone of the current MCU and be faithful to Strange imo.

Slayven

I think they've been trying to get Doctor Strange off the ground too, but that's another tough sell. It would be hard to conceptualize a live action movie which fits the tone of the current MCU and be faithful to Strange imo.

I rather see a Midnight Sons tv show.

TDLink

As far as I know Marvel has movie rights to all of their properties with the exception of:

• The Fantastic Four and most of their villains, with the exception of the Skrulls
  • Daredevil, Elektra, and most of their villains
  • Spider-man and his related characters
  • The X-Men and their related characters, with the exceptions of Quicksilver and The Scarlet Witch
  • Ghost Rider and his villains

Not heard of Doctor Strange before, but reading up in wiki, yeah...seems a tough sell.

Wasn't there talk of Marvel doing smaller projects for some of their other characters? Maybe it was related to animated stuff, but I vaguely remember reading something along those lines.

Ms Marvel mini series? hell, if they can't get an Ant-Man movie to work, they could translate it to a mini series/tv show.

shira

I'm not so sure, I thought comic book movies were falling from grace after Cap Am did average numbers, but Avengers seems to have reinvigorated the genre somewhat the BO.

I doubt solo movies will ever make as much (for obvious reasons), but I don't think they'll do so badly as to force Marvel to abandon them and push for A3.
I think they will notice it is easier to promote and cheaper. It is like 3 in 1 shot every time. Make the solo stuff cartoons or direct to DVD animation.

Eager to see he effect of he post avengers solo films though. More fan service would be amazing

duckroll

Not heard of Doctor Strange before, but reading up in wiki, yeah...seems a tough sell.

Wasn't there talk of Marvel doing smaller projects for some of their other characters? Maybe it was related to animated stuff, but I vaguely remember reading something along those lines.

Ms Marvel mini series? hell, if they can't get an Ant-Man movie to work, they could translate it to a mini series/tv show.

Yes, there is a lot of talk about a lot of things, but so far that's all they are. Marvel Studios is ambitious, but I think they're also kinda stretched thin at the moment. They've focused everything in the past few years into getting the first set of movies out, and then leading right into Avengers. It'll be interesting to see where they go after this. There's the Hulk TV series, the Ant-man movie, Iron Fist, Doctor Strange. Lots of stuff they're trying to get together to compliment their 3 big sequels (IM3, Thor 2, CA2) right now. We'll see where it goes.

TDLink

They never mentioned animation but they did mention considering short films for some of the B/C list heroes like Luke Cage. They haven't really given any solid plans other than those musings from (I believe) before Thor even came out. So we'll see what happens.

I think they will notice it is easier to promote and cheaper. It is like 3 in 1 shot every time. Make the solo stuff cartoons or direct to DVD animation.

Eager to see he effect of he post avengers solo films though. More fan service would be amazing

Considering the next one is Iron Man 3 (who is undoubtedly the most popular of the Avengers right now) I don't think we are really going to see how that pans out for a while since IM3 -will- be a success.

shira

They never mentioned animation but they did mention considering short films for some of the B/C list heroes like Luke Cage. They haven't really given any solid plans other than those musings from (I believe) before Thor even came out. So we'll see what happens.

Considering the next one is Iron Man 3 (who is undoubtedly the most popular of the Avengers right now) I don't think we are really going to see how that pans out for a while since IM3 -will- be a success.
Of course but is cap2 guaranteed im-money?
The next in each series for each is set. I'm saying the next ones after

noah111

Still Alive
Well it's not ALL talks, there are actual scripts and screenplays completed for a few of these movies, so who knows. It's still two or three years away from an actual due date, so there's time on their part. In IM2 there's a black panther reference and in Thor a Dr. Strange (and Pym) reference, not that it means anything conclusively, but I think those three projects are of the most likely things we'll see come to fruition.

duckroll

Well it's not ALL talks, there are actual scripts and screenplays completed for a few of these movies, so who knows. It's still two or three years away from an actual due date, so there's time on their part. In IM2 there's a black panther reference and in Thor a Dr. Strange (and Pym) reference, not that it means anything conclusively, but I think those three projects are of the most likely things we'll see come to fruition.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. When I said it's all "talk" I don't mean that Marvel isn't doing anything about developing the properties, but that the projects becoming actual reality in the near future is just talk at the moment. Marvel is developing scripts and trying to attach talent to these projects, but so far they just haven't been coming together as quickly or as smoothly as their main movies have.

TDLink

As far as I know the only projects outside of the current Avengers heroes that actually have some sort of script are Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, and The Runaways (which was put on indefinite hold in 2009). So really it is a toss up between Ant-Man and Doctor Strange for what comes next other than IM/Cap/Thor/Avengers 2. Everything else from the Iron Fist movie to Guardians of the Galaxy is pure talk at the moment.

Of course but is cap2 guaranteed im-money?
The next in each series for each is set. I'm saying the next ones after

It depends I guess. I am not 100% sure what you are saying here. You mean Thor 2 and Cap 2 are going to be fine because people will still want to see them after The Avengers? I agree with that. If you are talking about a Thor 3/Cap 3 I imagine their success would hinge on how the 2nd films in each of those series go.

noah111

Still Alive
Sorry, I should have been clearer. When I said it's all "talk" I don't mean that Marvel isn't doing anything about developing the properties, but that the projects becoming actual reality in the near future is just talk at the moment. Marvel is developing scripts and trying to attach talent to these projects, but so far they just haven't been coming together as quickly or as smoothly as their main movies have.
Yeah, that's true. Nothing is set in stone, so it's even possible that none of it makes it off the ground and we don't get any new character introduced.. that's a possibility.

But I don't think we can say how quick things are going along just yet, since they have it all booked from IM/Thor/CA sequels, so it's not like they're rushing at this point since they have some leeway time.

As far as I know the only projects outside of the current Avengers heroes that actually have some sort of script are Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, and The Runaways (which was put on indefinite hold in 2009). So really it is a toss up between Ant-Man and Doctor Strange for what comes next other than IM/Cap/Thor/Avengers 2. Everything else from the Iron Fist movie to Guardians of the Galaxy is pure talk at the moment.
Precisely what I meant. I wouldn't say "the only projects" and then list off three movies. That's a ton. You have to remember that Avengers 2 is sometime around 2016, and nothing new is going to be out before mid 2014, so there's only a year or two to squeeze new movies in before the Avengers sequel. In those years, they could fit at least three new movies, and assuming they might do a Hulk or SHIELD movie, that still leaves the possibility of us seeing one or two new character films come to fruition before the Avengers sequel.. I guess my point is that we shouldn't be expecting 5+ active scripts or projects that have a good chance at hitting the screen. They're tight with filming each of the sequels as is, with filming starting right when the previous one is finished, basically.

TDLink

Precisely what I meant. I wouldn't say "the only projects" and then list off three movies. That's a ton. You have to remember that Avengers 2 is sometime around 2016, and nothing new is going to be out before mid 2014, so there's only a year or two to squeeze new movies in before the Avengers sequel. In those years, they could fit at least three new movies, and assuming they might do a Hulk or SHIELD movie, that still leaves the possibility of us seeing one or two new character films come to fruition before the Avengers sequel.. I guess my point is that we shouldn't be expecting 5+ active scripts or projects that have a good chance at hitting the screen. They're tight with filming each of the sequels as is, with filming starting right when the previous one is finished, basically.

Avengers 2 is currently slated for 2015. The schedule right now is IM3 + Thor 2 in 2013, Cap 2 + at least one other thing (but possibly two) in 2014, and then Avengers 2 in 2016. This means other than Cap/IM/Thor there is only going to be 1 or maybe 2 other Marvel films before the next Avengers. That could change but that is what it is right now. I wouldn't be surprised if the "SHIELD movie" that has been talked about but has nothing solid on record ends up getting somewhat wrapped into the Captain America 2 film.

noah111

Still Alive
Avengers 2 is currently slated for 2015. The schedule right now is IM3 + Thor 2 in 2013, Cap 2 + at least one other thing (but possibly two) in 2014, and then Avengers 2 in 2016. This means other than Cap/IM/Thor there is only going to be 1 or maybe 2 other Marvel films before the next Avengers. That could change but that is what it is right now. I wouldn't be surprised if the "SHIELD movie" that has been talked about but has nothing solid on record ends up getting somewhat wrapped into the Captain America 2 film.
So which is it? I've been hearing both dates tbh, but I remember reading something with Feige specifically saying a 2016 release.

There's the possibility for one extra movie in 2014 (after CA2, i.e. in the summer/fall), another in 2015, and then depending on whether or not Avengers 2 is a fall/sumer/spring release, possible one in 2016 too.

That's the best case scenario, basically; three new movies. It will probably be just one or two, though. And you might be right about the SHIELD movie, depending on how CA2 goes. A hulk movie doesn't seem very promising at this point, tbh, since I think they're going to get stuck in a rut on that as it progresses.. but maybe not, who knows.

TDLink

So which is it? I've been hearing both dates tbh, but I remember reading something with Feige specifically saying a 2016 release.

There's the possibility for one extra movie in 2014 (after CA2, i.e. in the summer/fall), another in 2015, and then depending on whether or not Avengers 2 is a fall/sumer/spring release, possible one in 2016 too.

That's the best case scenario, basically; three new movies. It will probably be just one or two, though. And you might be right about the SHIELD movie, depending on how CA2 goes. A hulk movie doesn't seem very promising at this point, tbh, since I think they're going to get stuck in a rut on that as it progresses.. but maybe not, who knows.

Lol, my bad. I was re-reading what you wrote and made the worst typo possible. Both dates there were meant to be 2015. Not 2016. Right now IM3 is getting the IM1/2/Thor/Avengers slot next year (First weekend in May). Thor 2 is getting the Thanksgiving slot, a first for the Marvel films. In 2014 Cap 2 is being released much earlier, in the beginning of April. They also have a late May slot reserved for another film instead of the first weekend of May. It is also then possible they could use a late July slot again like with Cap 1 or Thanksgiving slot again like they are doing with Thor 2 (Although neither are reserved yet in 2014). Avengers 2 will take the first weekend of May slot in 2015.

noah111

Still Alive
Right, I see. But how certain are we on that early 2015 Avengers 2 date? I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere, got a source?

TDLink

Right, I see. But how certain are we on that early 2015 Avengers 2 date? I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere, got a source?

It hasn't been super confirmed yet but Kevin Feige has basically implied it. Here are a couple different sources:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=57313

Q: So "Avengers 2" is 2015? If we're piecing together the last five minutes of this conversation. I mean, is there a framework, you call it "Avengers, Part I" is there a framework you feel that you guys want to turn it to maybe a trilogy or…?

Feige: "It's like managing any franchise. Two to three years usually is what makes the most sense. Depending what happens, it can be four years, but two to three years."

http://collider.com/the-avengers-set-visit

12:53 Feige hinted at leading up to a big event movie in 2015.

duckroll

Avengers 2 is not a lock for 2015. It is too early for Marvel to make that call. They haven't even confirmed their second 2014 movie yet. I don't expect them to commit to a date for Avengers 2 until at least next year.

TDLink

Avengers 2 is not a lock for 2015. It is too early for Marvel to make that call. They haven't even confirmed their second 2014 movie yet. I don't expect them to commit to a date for Avengers 2 until at least next year.

Correct. It isn't a lock. The second, currently unknown, film in 2014 at the end of May is the last thing "locked in" so far. A2 in 2015 is only an assumption based on the hints Kevin Feige has been dropping. It is possible it could be 2016 also but that doesn't seem like the plan based on the comments. Rather, 2015 at least seems like the target atm.

Wilbur

Banned
I hope Marvel get the rights to Daredevil again; such a cool character. Have a standalone film where you ramp up the action, make it a 15 (in England, dunno what the American equivalent is) and then turn up somewhere in Avengers 2 as a cameo or something.

duckroll

Correct. It isn't a lock. The second, currently unknown, film in 2014 at the end of May is the last thing "locked in" so far. A2 in 2015 is only an assumption based on the hints Kevin Feige has been dropping. It is possible it could be 2016 also but that doesn't seem like the plan based on the comments. Rather, 2015 at least seems like the target atm.

Yeah, 2015 is definitely their target, I agree. It's just that within a year or two, things might change those plans depending on how other stuff pan out too. Right now Marvel is only going to confirm stuff up to 2 years in advance I think.

noah111

Still Alive
No clue where I read about 2016, but I thought that was where it'd land. But yeah, definitely hinting at 2015, but if that's true all we'll see is a max of two new movies, and not even necessarily new properties.. It could even be just one movie, whether that'd be a Hulk or SHIELD movie, either way there isn't even a guarantee that we'll be getting a new character pre-Avengers 2 at this point. Hopefully we'll know sooner rather than later.

In the "crazy credits" part on the IMDB page for Avengers, which by the way is clearly visible on the main page for the movie without any marking telling you about the following spoiler it states that
the dude standing next to Thanos is Red Skull? Uh, no I don't think that's right....although I have no idea if that character(the one that is talking to Thanos) was from the comics, or anything pre-existing. Anyone know who that is?

remnant

Banned
In the "crazy credits" part on the IMDB page for Avengers, which by the way is clearly visible on the main page for the movie without any marking telling you about the following spoiler it states that
the dude standing next to Thanos is Red Skull? Uh, no I don't think that's right....although I have no idea if that character(the one that is talking to Thanos) was from the comics, or anything pre-existing. Anyone know who that is?
He has a slave/servant in the comics. I forgot what he is called though. Not the RS

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I'd like to see Ant-Man as a reluctant hero/scientist who refuses to join the Avengers. Something sorta' goofy and fun, with a nice twist at the end where he beats the bad guy by getting huge instead of small. then in Avengers 2 he builds an outer-dimensional prison with Ultron and moralizes at the avengers, but still refuses to join.
He lays low, and joins up for Avengers 3 with Ultron. I don't think he needs a trilogy. Popping up in other people's movies beyond his first one seems the way to go. Even sorta' briefly introducing Pym in IM3 seems logical, he could be the anti-stark.

That said, they hinted at
civil war
stuff near the end of Avengers, so I could see that being a thing too.

Outside bet that
IM who fell back out of the dimensional hole
is a switched out skrull too (not gonna happen)

Anyone think Colby Smolders is gonna be Nightengale or something?

Also they showed that girl
cap saved at the bank
a lot. My wife recognized the actress. Any chance she ends up a love interest or something.?
Was that character talking to
Thanos
from the comics at all then?

Yeah, it was just one of the evil alien guys talking to him. Are those fools from the comics?

TDLink

Is there a known time frame for which both Fox and Sony have to begin production of a film before rights revert to Marvel?

I'm sure they'll reboot FF before that, if such clause exists.

I am not sure of the exact dates in the contracts. I don't think they are public knowledge. The last Punisher movie wasn't that long ago though and that franchise already reverted so it may also be on a franchise basis. They are in fact already in talks for a reboot of FF in order to keep the license longer...as well as Daredevil. I bet Ghost Rider will be the next to revert after no one saw the sequel a few months ago (which was only made to keep the property).

Top Bottom