• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Cheebo

Banned
Fuck em then :( I hope both companies burn to hell. Amazing Spider-Man looks awful.
That is a bit harsh. Blame Marvel for selling them to them permanently if you have to blame anyone. Fox/Sony are just doing what any studio with a popular franchise would do.

That is a bit harsh. Blame Marvel for selling them to them permanently if you have to blame anyone. Fox/Sony are just doing what any studio with a popular franchise would do.

I'm not blaming them, it's Marvel's fault for working out such a stupid contract but I certainly don't like what they're doing with the franchises. As a Spider-Man and X-Men fan I'd rather have Marvel handle them.

Cheebo

Banned
Well Fox (mostly Bryan Singer and his influence over xmen 1, 2, and first class) did something I doubt Disnet would have had the balls to do which is heavily emphasize the X-men's connection to the civil rights movement (and now gay rights movement). Which is something that was sadly lost in the comics in the post-Stan Lee era. That is something I always loved about the original X-Men run, it is so different than the rest of silver age Marvel in how openly of political statement it was. A lot of that was lost with Claremont & on though.

I couldn't see Disney letting that become a focus of the X-Men films as Bryan Singer wisely latched onto, since that is what set X-Men apart from other super heroes initially.

I'm not American so I wouldn't know how important that is :)

I just know that except for X2 and Spider-Man 2 I haven't really liked anything from either studio but I've heard great things about First Class. Aesthetics, atmosphere and casting are severly lacking IMO and just not something I want out of X-Men or Spider-Man. And don't even get me started on Fantastic Four and the awful Doom they had.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Just have him in Iron Man 3 some how. All the Stark and Banner scenes were excellent.

they should totally do this. the banner/stark bromance was a good idea - hopefully they expand on that a little. maybe throw a nod to banner helping create the hulkbuster armor or something.

with Thanos gonna be the next villain, I wonder if he'll show up in large capacity in one of the solo movies. just like Loki had Thor movie to tell his origin/back story. I think Thanos will also need 1 where they'll show his backstory too. so in Avengers 2, he can just act as the bad guy in full capacity and not waste time telling his backstory, why he does thing etc.

earlier in this thread someone said they may make guardians of the galaxy movie, no idea about this team so I just wiki them and one of their story deals with Thanos. seems kinda neat if this movie is setup to show Thanos backstory and there's stuff like Nova and Mar Vell to in that wiki article about Thanos Imperative. probably would be a much needed help for Avenger when they have to fight Thanos.

Dram

How much trouble legally would Marvel be in if they tryed to make a Squadron Supreme movie, or at least feature them in a Avengers movie?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squadron_Supreme

sD1UN.jpg

0c7Kl.jpg

TDLink

While I definitely think Fox and Sony will never part with the X-men and Spider-man properties. I Could easily see them letting Marvel use specific characters from those franchises...for a high price on a film by film basis. I also -could- see them parting with the other properties they currently have (Ghost Rider, Fantastic Four, and Daredevil). They are definitely at least trying to keep even those for now with the reboot attempts they are planning but I bet for the right price they would give them back. Fantastic Four especially would be a huge get for Marvel even if they can never have Spidey or the X-men again.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Since Enchantress is dead-fucking-set to appear in the Marvel Universe sooner or later, we need to ponder... Classic or Son of Asgard look?

tumblr_lyi93yFHl01qhyhwto1_500.jpg
UgHgg.jpg

More skin please. She's supposed to be a seductress, no point in playing down her sex factor.

Question is, who would be a good choice to play her.

Slayven

If marvel hadn't sold them, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Cause Marvel would no longer exist.

noah111

Still Alive
Kevin Feige said:
Well, look, clearly we would prefer everything be at home, so to speak. But all the contracts are different. Some of them have very firm reversion dates, and some of them we don’t expect to get back any time soon, let’s put it that way. We’re fine with that,” Feige said. “We have a great relationship with Sony and Fox. Would we like to have them all back? Sure. But we are more than comfortable with the way things stand now, because it worked out pretty well, right?

The Avengers is a gargantuan part of the Marvel Universe, as big a part or bigger than X-Men, bigger than Fantastic Four. There’s no doubt that Spider-Man is the most well-known, but in terms of families of characters, Avengers is bigger. Yes, the book has been around so long that almost every single character has popped in and out at some point. But there was a little bit of planning and a lot of luck that we ended up with Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Captain America, Hawkeye, Widow, Fury, SHIELD, all within our rights. Because that obviously led up to ‘The Avengers.’

I wonder what deals have fixed dates for reseting back to MCU...

Besides the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, I wonder if Marvel has the rights to use the Shi'ar Empire. Would there be a similar deal in place to share. It doesn't look like they're afraid to use cosmic characters like Thanos, so it wouldn't be out of the question for them to ever show up in the future. I imagine the Kree are okay if the Skrull are okay, but the Shi'ar are more closely associated with the X-Men. I'd like to see Gladiator fight the Hulk on the big screen someday.

noah111

Still Alive
Since Enchantress is dead-fucking-set to appear in the Marvel Universe sooner or later, we need to ponder... Classic or Son of Asgard look?
Definitely need the head piece, imo. There's no need for a super-sexified icon on screen right now, especially in a Thor movie of all places. I want something akin to this;

43409L.jpg

sn00zer

THere is something they never really explain...why is Loki so fucked up looking when he first appears, eyes bruised and such

with Thanos gonna be the next villain, I wonder if he'll show up in large capacity in one of the solo movies. just like Loki had Thor movie to tell his origin/back story. I think Thanos will also need 1 where they'll show his backstory too. so in Avengers 2, he can just act as the bad guy in full capacity and not waste time telling his backstory, why he does thing etc.

earlier in this thread someone said they may make guardians of the galaxy movie, no idea about this team so I just wiki them and one of their story deals with Thanos. seems kinda neat if this movie is setup to show Thanos backstory and there's stuff like Nova and Mar Vell to in that wiki article about Thanos Imperative. probably would be a much needed help for Avenger when they have to fight Thanos.

They'll have plenty of time to set up Thanos in Avengers 2; I doubt we will have more than a cameo or two leading up to the sequel. Keep in mind that they spent most of the first half of Avengers establishing the team and bringing them together. They don't need to do that in Avengers 2.

noah111

Still Alive
It's possible the Chitauri(and Thanos) were monitoring events on Earth and Asgard and sought Loki out after his "expulsion".
Doubtful, they spoke about the tesseract as if it was just discovered to be on earth, due to it's activation of course. Thor eludes to the other realms/civilizations now knowing about earth because of this as well.

Doubtful, they spoke about the tesseract as if it was just discovered to be on earth, due to it's activation of course. Thor eludes to the other realms/civilizations now knowing about earth because of this as well.

Speaking of Thor with the Rainbow Bridge being broken how did he get back so he could Executive Decision the transport plane on Earth?

TheDiabolical

I didn't read my own avatar and now everyone knows I'm not too bright. :(
what characters are actually included in the X-Men deal that Fox has?

since Cable wasn't part of it. could they pull off a New Mutants/X-Force movie with the characters not included?

Tobor

Yeah, I recalled that, but I couldn't understand what made that so special that it couldn't sub for the bridge in the first place.

So throwaway line to fix Thor plot problem?

Well, if you recall, there are ways other than the Bifrost. Loki knows how to do it, as seen in Thor. It stands to reason Odin would know a trick or two as well, being the Allfather and all.

Yeah, I recalled that, but I couldn't understand what made that so special that it couldn't sub for the bridge in the first place.

So throwaway line to fix Thor plot problem?

When they wrote Thor, they knew it was all leading back to the avengers, so I doubt they considered it much of a plot hole. The situation made it so that the only way he could get back was with the cube so it was added motivation the the cause.

iamblades

THere is something they never really explain...why is Loki so fucked up looking when he first appears, eyes bruised and such

This may be me just reading too much into things, but what I got from the scene with Loki and the Chitauri leader was that the Chitauri were torturing him somehow, which is maybe how they got the information about the tesseract from him.

Just the way Loki recoiled from the Chitauri's touch at first and how he looked like he was in pain at the end of that scene made it seem like something shady was going on in the interim. Like he had a level of fear of the Chitauri that isn't entirely explained by what we have seen of them.

But as people have mentioned, there are plenty of reasons for him to look a little worse for wear at the beginning, after being kicked out into space and being in exile for however long, etc.

TDLink

Besides the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, I wonder if Marvel has the rights to use the Shi'ar Empire. Would there be a similar deal in place to share. It doesn't look like they're afraid to use cosmic characters like Thanos, so it wouldn't be out of the question for them to ever show up in the future. I imagine the Kree are okay if the Skrull are okay, but the Shi'ar are more closely associated with the X-Men. I'd like to see Gladiator fight the Hulk on the big screen someday.

Yes they do. Marvel has the rights to all of the cosmic stuff with the two exceptions of Galactus and The Silver Surfer. Anything else is fair game.

Well, if you recall, there are ways other than the Bifrost. Loki knows how to do it, as seen in Thor. It stands to reason Odin would know a trick or two as well, being the Allfather and all.

Actually I didn't remember that, so that helps a lot. lol

Pretty much, yeah. Thor 2 will cover the bifrost bridge in more detail so we'll know more then, I imagine.
Hopefully

When they wrote Thor, they knew it was all leading back to the avengers, so I doubt they considered it much of a plot hole. The situation made it so that the only way he could get back was with the cube so it was added motivation the the cause.

So it was a one way trip, unless he gets the cube back, Thor is boned?

Marvel was almost bankrupt when they made those deals, they made them because they didn't have a choice.

Skrulls are shared between FOX and Marvel. Both companies can use them.

I think Marvel can't use Super-Skrull though.

Top Bottom