• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

noah111

Still Alive
I'd like to see Ant-Man as a reluctant hero/scientist who refuses to join the Avengers. Something sorta' goofy and fun, with a nice twist at the end where he beats the bad guy by getting huge instead of small. then in Avengers 2 he builds an outer-dimensional prison with Ultron and moralizes at the avengers, but still refuses to join.
He lays low, and joins up for Avengers 3 with Ultron. I don't think he needs a trilogy. Popping up in other people's movies beyond his first one seems the way to go. Even sorta' briefly introducing Pym in IM3 seems logical, he could be the anti-stark.

That said, they hinted at
civil war
stuff near the end of Avengers, so I could see that being a thing too.

Outside bet that IM who fell back out of the dimensional hole is a switched out skrull too (not gonna happen)

Anyone think Colby Smolders is gonna be Nightengale or something?

Also they showed that girl
cap saved at the bank
a lot. My wife recognized the actress. Any chance she ends up a love interest or something.?

Yeah, it was just one of the evil alien guys talking to him. Are those fools from the comics?
Hahaha the fucking theories people come up with man. I'd love that, even though it wouldn't make any sense considering Iron Man 3, but still lol.

And I doubt it about that lady, but who knows, she may be in CA2 somehow. One way or another, Steve needs to get laid (in the 21st century).

Tobor

Hulk needs to be a buddy picture. Pair him up with another character that isn't getting their own movie, and make it funny.

noah111

Still Alive
avengers710.jpg

movie-avengers-stark-tower.jpg

*cough*

ReiGun

I would for the characters to pop up in each others movies for a second or two.
Hulk needs to be a buddy picture. Pair him up with another character that isn't getting their own movie, and make it funny.

I was thinking earlier on my way home that the next Hulk movie (should there be one) could feature the origin of She-Hulk. She's a fun character, and offers the opportunity for more smashing. Then in Avengers 2, Hulk decides to leave the team, but his cousin takes his place.

Solo

You can be 100% he'll be recast with an actor people actually know if they use him in the next film.

Is there a known time frame for which both Fox and Sony have to begin production of a film before rights revert to Marvel?

I'm sure they'll reboot FF before that, if such clause exists.

Just accept that Marvel Studios is never going to get their hands on X-Men, FF or Spider-Man.

TDLink

You can be 100% he'll be recast with an actor people actually know if they use him in the next film.

Just accept that Marvel Studios is never going to get their hands on X-Men, FF or Spider-Man.

I wouldn't be too surprised if FF eventually reverts. They are still trying a reboot now to prevent that but of those 3 I can easily see it being the one that is actually released. X-Men and Spidey on the other hand definitely feel like they are never ever coming back to Marvel.

Salsa

uh, its certainly possible.

Its not like once the contracts run out they cant snatch the licenses up from the current holders with more money, we're talking about fucking Disney.

Nesotenso

I know that Fox is working on a DD and FF reboot but I feel like those two have a high probability to come back to Marvel.

Fox seems to have no idea what to do with them especially with the delay and rewrites with the DD script.

duckroll

uh, its certainly possible.

Its not like once the contracts run out they cant snatch the licenses up from the current holders with more money, we're talking about fucking Disney.

The contracts don't run out. The licensing agreements in these specific cases are dependent on the studios continuing to develop the properties. As long as Fox keeps making X-Men movies, they get to renew their license. That's why they keep rebooting stuff that don't work, instead of letting it sit for too long, because they want to hold on to the licenses.

Salsa

The contracts don't run out. The licensing agreements in these specific cases are dependent on the studios continuing to develop the properties. As long as Fox keeps making X-Men movies, they get to renew their license. That's why they keep rebooting stuff that don't work, instead of letting it sit for too long, because they want to hold on to the licenses.

Though im not entirely sure on how it works i know there's a certain time when there's been no development of the licenses by the holder where its much easier to buy it from them.

Falls in line with what you say though.

So Fury never says Coulson died right? He said "Coulson is down..." when he radio'd Maria. He better be back as Marvell. Shame they supposedly killed the best character.

So Fury never says Coulson died right? He said "Coulson is down..." when he radio'd Maria. He better be back as Marvell. Shame they supposedly killed the best character.

Oh man. Ohhhhhh man. That would be so good. I understand and love his role as the straight guy amongst all these superpowers but I think he played that role well and it's done now- hence why Whedon killed him, I guess. But I think he'd be great as Mar-Vell.

Hahaha the fucking theories people come up with man. I'd love that, even though it wouldn't make any sense considering Iron Man 3, but still lol.

And I doubt it about that lady, but who knows, she may be in CA2 somehow. One way or another, Steve needs to get laid (in the 21st century).

Weren't there some pics of Cap having a drink in the restaurant she worked in? I vaguely remember seeing them last year, maybe she interacts with him but they cut the scene.

Blader

Avengers 2 is not a lock for 2015. It is too early for Marvel to make that call. They haven't even confirmed their second 2014 movie yet. I don't expect them to commit to a date for Avengers 2 until at least next year.

Really? I could easily see them announcing Avengers 2 at Comic Con. Remember they announced Thor, Cap, and Avengers just a few days after the first Iron Man came out.

Man I am sooooo fucking glad I didn't hit this thread 'til I saw the movie.

The first thing that needs to happen when we get time travel figured out is to prevent this from ever happening ; ;

I'm actually okay with the fate of the X-Men, I think a cinematic shared universe featuring both the X-Men and Avengers would collapse in on itself, but goddamn it every time I even think about Spider-Man movies I get depressed.

The silver lining is that Marvel wouldn't be able to resist a Spider-Man cameo in everything, so at least we dodged that bullet.

duckroll

I think whether Coulson returns will depend heavily on the fan feedback that Marvel observes over the next year or so. They're going to do this just like comics, so if there are a ton of people who really, really want him to come back and if they can think of a way to bring him back without completely undermining his death in Avengers, they'll do it.

I'm actually okay with the fate of the X-Men, I think a cinematic shared universe featuring both the X-Men and Avengers would collapse in on itself, but goddamn it every time I even think about Spider-Man movies I get depressed.

I'm okay with both actually. But whenever I think of Fantastic Four's fate in the movies, I just want to cull up into a ball and cry. :(

I'm okay with both actually. But whenever I think of Fantastic Four's fate in the movies, I just want to cull up into a ball and cry. :(

I think for me the difference with that one is I think there's an okay shot at Fox and Disney working something out if the reboot bombs. Perhaps that is crazy and naive but I'm sticking with it. ;p

Bomb, reboot, bomb.

MechDX

Wasnt there a rumor a while back that with all the financial troubles Sony is having they may sell off their studios? Couldnt Disney buy the rights back then on the cheap?

CorvoSol

He said the doctors "Called it," too, whatever that means. At least he lives on in ultimate spidey.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
He said the doctors "Called it," too, whatever that means. At least he lives on in ultimate spidey.

...and they just introduced him in regular comic continuity too. If anything those are extra flags indicating his return is definitely something they are going to be considering.

Wouldn't be too much of a copout. Fury already used his death as a trigger to manipulate the team by adding the trading card detail, which is a relatively small lie to motivate them. If they learn he faked the death entirely to do so, it's a good setup for them to mistrust S.H.I.E.L.D. and Fury in the sequel. Also there was a throwaway line about Life Model Decoys somewhere near the beginning, which is one of the most convenient plot devices in the Marvel U to revive someone.

noah111

Still Alive
Yeah, for sure. That's why there's a heavy use of CG and general darkness to it.. but tbh i'm not entirely convinced he'll even make a big appearance in Avengers 2. We'll see.

noah111

Still Alive
If he is Mar-Vell i'm gonna be pissed.
This is exactly what I want to happen.

I rather have them have Coulson a LMD.
I wouldn't, because it wouldn't explain a damn thing.

Coulson was behind it all? What an ass hole. If Fury was behind it, that's more comprehensible due to his manipulative ways, but it wouldn't explain where the real Couslon is..

I think whether Coulson returns will depend heavily on the fan feedback that Marvel observes over the next year or so. They're going to do this just like comics, so if there are a ton of people who really, really want him to come back and if they can think of a way to bring him back without completely undermining his death in Avengers, they'll do it.
I think they should put it off to Avengers 3, but either way it would work best if he actually did die, but spontaneously got revived somehow. What I personally want is for Avengers 2 or 3 to go over the Skrull and Kree war, maybe something similar to an AVP situation of earth caught in the middle, and then Coulson getting 'activated' as a sleeper-agent of sorts for the Kree, becoming Mar-Vell. Or something like that. It could work in a way where even he wasn't aware he was something more, on a surface level.. but anyway, I would for him to become Mar-Vell and work in a supervising capacity for a change. Maybe get interrogated by Fury and Maria who think he's a shapeshifting Skrull or something, and have him turn out to be a Kree.

Either way, I want him back. But if not, that's fine too I suppose, but there'll need to be some sort of link between the movies to replace the capacity that Coulson served.. or not, who knows.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
This is exactly what I want to happen.

I wouldn't, because it wouldn't explain a damn thing.

Coulson was behind it all? What an ass hole. If Fury was behind it, that's more comprehensible due to his manipulative ways, but it wouldn't explain where the real Couslon is..

In critical condition and Fury exaggerated so he could use the event to spark the team back together is my guess.

They will likely introduce Sharon Carter in Captain America 2.

I really hope they do Winter Soldier for the sequel. They can give Black Widow a pretty big part in it too.

In critical condition and Fury exaggerated so he could use the event to spark the team back together is my guess.

I thought he just straight up died. So did everybody else I saw it with. Like not even for a second was that in doubt. I'm not saying they can't bring him back, but was there any hinting that he wasn't dead?

And for whoever said it, doctors treating dying people that say they've "called it" are referring to their time-of-death.

Tizoc

A 3rd Hulk movie should show the Hulk as a brilliant tactician ala Batman...OK maybe not within Batman's level but really which is more dangerous? A rampaging Hulk, or a Hulk that plans ahead?

Cheebo

Banned
Though im not entirely sure on how it works i know there's a certain time when there's been no development of the licenses by the holder where its much easier to buy it from them.

Falls in line with what you say though.

Which won't ever happen. Fox has already said if any of their Marvel franchises are at risk to revert back due to lack of development they will just do a quick straight to video movie and four-wall it.

Fox/Sony isn't going to go "oops we forgot to make a movie and the rights are now gone!". They will do it, even if it ends up being like that 90's FF Movie and be made purely to keep the rights not for mass public consumption.

Which won't ever happen. Fox has already said if any of their Marvel franchises are at risk to revert back due to lack of development they will just do a quick straight to video movie and four-wall it.

Fox/Sony isn't going to go "oops we forgot to make a movie and the rights are now gone!". They will do it, even if it ends up being like that 90's FF Movie and be made purely to keep the rights not for mass public consumption.

What if Disney offers to buy them back? It'd probably be an immense amount of money but I think it'd be worth it.

Cheebo

Banned
What if Disney offers to buy them back? It'd probably be an immense amount of money but I think it'd be worth it.
Fox would never sell X-Men and Sony would never sell Spider-Man those franchises alone make them billions of dollars for each studio, not just with theatrical releases but in general. And they both have basically unlimited potential to go on for decades with reboots and sequels ala franchises like James Bond, Star Trek, etc that have been around for decades and decades. There is no way they would ever sell either of them ever. They are both one of if not the most important film franchise each studio has.

It'd be like Lucasfilm selling the rights to Star Wars or Indiana Jones or Paramount selling the rights to Transformers or Star Trek. It is just not something that will ever happen.

Fox would never sell X-Men and Sony would never sell Spider-Man those franchises alone make them billions of dollars for each studio, not just with theatrical releases but in general. And they both have basically unlimited potential to go on for decades with reboots and sequels ala franchises like James Bond, Star Trek, etc that have been around for decades and decades. There is no way they would ever sell either of them ever. They are both one of if not the most important film franchise each studio has.

It'd be like Lucasfilm selling the rights to Star Wars or Indiana Jones or Paramount selling the rights to Transformers or Star Trek. It is just not something that will ever happen.

Fuck em then :( I hope both companies burn to hell. Amazing Spider-Man looks awful.

Top Bottom