• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Moondragon is also a lame character, and would feel too much like a retread of Gamora if they used her.

Phyla and Mantis are the only two that really make sense...but it really needs to be Mantis.

Phyla comes with a whole lot more baggage they'd have to explain.

I just want Mantis and Cosmo (for real). Don't fail me Gunn.
I pretty much agree as far as Phyla-Vell goes. She'd be awesome, sure, but she'd require too much backstory explanation to just hit the ground running. More so if they do introduce Adam Warlock in GotG2.

As for Moondragon, she still can be Drax's daughter (& it'd make for some great storytelling), so there's a chance that it's her. Plus, like Adam Warlock, she can contribute to Infinity War.

Gartooth

Will riot if not Mantis. :p

Moondragon and Phyla are both characters that I always teetered on either hating or being indifferent towards when I did my run through the "Modern Cosmic Marvel" timeline. Granted I may actually like their hypothetical movie versions.

Pachimari

If people haven't seen it, Fuu made a fantastic translation that brings new details about the Daredevil Netflix show in the "Production" thread here.

Can somebody explain something to me?

I rewatched Iron Man 1 recently, and in that movie, it seems like SHIELD is some small, new, unknown group that doesn't even decide on a name until the end of the movie.

But then jump ahead to Winter Soldier and Agents of SHIELD, and suddenly they're this enormous organization that's been around since just after WW2 that everyone knows about and has a giant building in Washington D.C.

Is there any explanation for this retcon, or is it just one of those things they hope people don't notice?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I rewatched Iron Man 1 recently, and in that movie, it seems like SHIELD is some small, new, unknown group that doesn't even decide on a name until the end of the movie.

You have drawn an inaccurate conclusion here is all. Coulson is underselling them, and the name is definitely not undecided on. He's just playing it up for Marvel nerds, "oh man it was SHIELD all along," if people weren't paying enough attention to make an acronym out of the name.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Plus Iron Man was written before the scope of the MCU had been established. It presents what is basically the real world, except there's a rich guy named Tony Stark who builds a suit of armor.

It's a tiny retcon, but one should assume that during the time of IM1 SHIELD is fully established around the world. Though The Avengers suggests that the full scope of their resources had to that point been kept out of public view. Everyone was surprised by them having like, giant flying motherships.

You have drawn an inaccurate conclusion here is all. Coulson is underselling them, and the name is definitely not undecided on. He's just playing it up for Marvel nerds, "oh man it was SHIELD all along," if people weren't paying enough attention to make an acronym out of the name.

Two things on that.

1) SHIELD seems to be as well-known as the FBI or CIA in the MCU. If that's the case, I feel like SHIELD would be a well-known acronym. Like if someone told me they were with the Federal Bureau of Investigation, I'd know they were talking about the FBI.

2) Tony and Pepper still don't seem to recognize the name SHIELD even after Coulson says it. You'd think they'd have had some sort of reaction to it.

I know, it's not really fair to pick it apart since the movie came before they'd really ironed out what the MCU was going to be. That still doesn't keep it from bugging me a little.

Quick

Banned
SHIELD was far from a public entity in Iron Man 1. If anything, their public presence was elevated after The Avengers, but still not quite fully exposed.

SHIELD always existed in it's larger capacity just not in the public eye. Fury reveals himself to Tony and tells him he's become a part of a bigger world. And in Iron Man 2 he tells Tony that he's dealt with stuff like him before. Tony outing himself to the public along with things like The Hulk and Captain America also coming out forced SHIELD to step out of the shadows.

Dai101

Banned
SHIELD always existed in it's larger capacity just not in the public eye. Fury reveals himself to Tony and tells him he's become a part of a bigger world. And in Iron Man 2 he tells Tony that he's dealt with stuff like him before. Tony outing himself to the public along with things like The Hulk and Captain America also coming out forced SHIELD to step out of the shadows.

Let's not forget that thanks to the events in the Avengers the general public get to know them. Also thanks to that SHIELD got even more funding from the WSC. Also, let's not forget HYDRA and whatever shennanigans they were running while noboby knew of them.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Pratt and Evans made their children's hospital stop here in Seattle today.

wdyyCLy.jpg

IJWB9sg.jpg

going off his tweet he didn't really confirm that there were no symbiotes in GotG2, just that there was no real rumors about it, because only 6 people know who's in the script, and none of them have leaked anything, so the internet is guessing, and not actually hearing things.

0nEr71p.png

So if we take Gunn at his word, regarding GotG2, there is:
No Hulk
No Capt. Marvel
No Nova (?) and
No real rumors of symbiotes.

Neoxon

going off his tweet he didn't really confirm that there were no symbiotes in GotG2, just that there was no real rumors about it, because only 6 people know who's in the script, and none of them have leaked anything, so the internet is guessing, and not actually hearing things.

0nEr71p.png

So if we take Gunn at his word, regarding GotG2, there is:
No Hulk
No Capt. Marvel
No Nova (?) and
No real rumors of symbiotes.
It's not like the movie needed any of those.

IHaveIce

Banned
It's not like the movie needed any of those.

I would argue that a Nova is needed in the GotG world, He came off later as one of Star Lords better comrades.

The other ones are nonsense and only interact with the GotG in the new run, which is shit,

Penguin

Rewatched Thor last night

Still don't enjoy

But it's weird seeing how short Loki's hair was in that film.

I half expected it to magically grow in-between scenes.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I believe... that won't happen anytime soon.
Since Warlock is a big Thanos Antagonist and he was teased for two movies now, I am pretty sure that we will see him in Phase III.
Maybe only in Infinity War, but I am sure his opening cocon will be showen in the Post-Creditscene of Guardians 2.

duckroll

Since Warlock is a big Thanos Antagonist and he was teased for two movies now, I am pretty sure that we will see him in Phase III.
Maybe only in Infinity War, but I am sure his opening cocon will be showen in the Post-Creditscene of Guardians 2.

I'm sorry the joke went over your head.

Neoxon

I would argue that a Nova is needed in the GotG world, He came off later as one of Star Lords better comrades.

The other ones are nonsense and only interact with the GotG in the new run, which is shit,
But Richie was really only in 1 issue of the 2008 run, & he never really was a Guardian to begin with.

IHaveIce

Banned
But Richie was really only in 1 issue of the 2008 run, & he never really was a Guardian to begin with.

The guardians and him ( especially star lord and him staying behind to battle thanos in cancerverse)
Richie convincing aka motivating Peter to return out of the Kyln as Star-lord and help them, fight together in Annihilation.
Several moments in Annihilation Conquest. Richie was the one who recommended Gamora and Drax as guardians in the run.

They had lots of moments outside the Guardians comics but in Cosmic marvel in general

Neoxon

The guardians and him ( especially star lord and him staying behind to battle thanos in cancerverse)
Richie convincing aka motivating Peter to return out of the Kyln as Star-lord and help them, fight together in Annihilation.
Several moments in Annihilation Conquest. Richie was the one who recommended Gamora and Drax as guardians in the run.

They had lots of moments outside the Guardians comics but in Cosmic marvel in general
I realize that, I've read all of them. It's just that Richie isn't exactly required for the Guardians to excel.

Anth0ny

Honestly, Marvel doesn't need Comic Con at this point. It's pretty obvious given the success of their phase 3 announcement event.

That being said, not sure if I'll go to Comic Con this year if they no show. It was easily the highlight of my vacation last year. I might still go just to enjoy the San Diego weather, but ehhhhhhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom