• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I don't see it happening any time soon, but in the unlikely event that Sony decides to unload their movie studios and rights revert back to Marvel/Disney, they should take a break from Spidey-focused movies and just have him in guest roles in the New York street-level stuff for now. Rebooting the Spidey movies a third time in such a short span does not seem like it would go over well, unless they skipped the origin story entirely.

I highly doubt that Marvel would feature its most famous superhero (Yes, this is still Spider-Man. Iron Man earns a fucking fortune in the cinema, beside that, nobody gives a shit about Tony Stark) only in a TV show.

But we wont see a Spider-Man movie before Phase 4.

B33

Banned
The Amazing Spider-Man 2's not performing as well as its financiers would have hoped.

It's currently projected to be the lowest grossing Spider-Man film to date. Sony has the home video market to fall back on (which has diminished rapidly in the recent years) , but it no longer has any of the ancillary merchandise profits. This is a bad sign for a sequel and any potential spin-offs.

I've no doubt Sony is presently re-evaluating their plans for the property, and selling it back to Disney/Marvel is certainly on the table.

Will it happen? I'd be surprised if Sony doesn't try to save face and push out a third sequel, but that may be seen as too "risky" with the recent box office results.

http://www.ibtimes.com/ignoring-amazing-spider-man-fatigue-sony-stubbornly-forges-ahead-1583121

The Spider-Man series is already showing signs of faltering under Sony.

I don't see how a movie focusing on the Sinister Six will be appealing or financially successful.

Sony blew it big time with ASM2, I have seen all the others in theaters but when I saw Rhino shooting a gun in the trailer I said nope. If they make a SS movie and the trailer looks interesting I could see it doing well. Mysterio is one of my favorite comic book characters, so if he is done well that could help it.

Anth0ny

http://www.ibtimes.com/ignoring-amazing-spider-man-fatigue-sony-stubbornly-forges-ahead-1583121

The Spider-Man series is already showing signs of faltering under Sony.

I don't see how a movie focusing on the Sinister Six will be appealing or financially successful.

A stand alone Venom movie sounds fucking crazy right about now.

I highly doubt that Marvel would feature its most famous superhero (Yes, this is still Spider-Man. Iron Man earns a fucking fortune in the cinema, beside that, nobody gives a shit about Tony Stark) only in a TV show.

But we wont see a Spider-Man movie before Phase 4.

In what market is Spider-Man>Iron Man right now? If I had to guess, I'd say... Spidey comics outsell Iron Man comics? The Spidey cartoon does better than Iron Man/Avengers?

Do Spider-Man toys outsell Iron Man toys?

I think the argument can be made that Iron Man is more famous than Spidey with kids today just based on the films alone. I'd personally say he's not there quite yet, but if Spidey films keep doing $500 million worldwide and both Iron Man and Avengers keep smashing $1 billion, you never know.

I'm in a weird situation, where I'm really enjoying the ASM films and want to see how the series plays out, but Spidey in the MCU would be a total fuck yes.

I don't know what I want :C

GAMEPROFF

Banned
A stand alone Venom movie sounds fucking crazy right about now.

In what market is Spider-Man>Iron Man right now? If I had to guess, I'd say... Spidey comics outsell Iron Man comics? The Spidey cartoon does better than Iron Man/Avengers?

Do Spider-Man toys outsell Iron Man toys?

I think the argument can be made that Iron Man is more famous than Spidey with kids today just based on the films alone. I'd personally say he's not there quite yet, but if Spidey films keep doing $500 million worldwide and both Iron Man and Avengers keep smashing $1 billion, you never know.
Superior Spider-Man was one of the best books marvel had over the last 1 1/2 year. critically and in terms of sales.

Iron Man had only one cartoon in 2009 and it was plain shit, while Spider-Man has regular ones. Better and worser, but he regulary has ones. And there was a Avengers carton, in which he showed up.

Marvel founded a own company for Spider-Man Merchandise. I dont think that they would make one, if he would be a B-Tier character. Never saw Iron Man merchandise anywhere.

The thing is, MCU Fanboys and people who are just familiar with the movies have prejudices, because he isnt in the MCU and stuff like this. But Spider-Man is still Marvels most important hero.

And box office is unimportant as shit. Man of Steel did far worser than Avengers. And still there are millions and millions people more who know who Superman is. Far more than who know who this dude in the Iron Armor is. Or this guy in the in american flag-suit.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
And box office is unimportant as shit. Man of Steel did far worser than Avengers. And still there are millions and millions people more who know who Superman is. Far more than who know who this dude in the Iron Armor is. Or this guy in the in american flag-suit.

Lolwut. Then explain why the "guy in the american flag-suit" is competing head to head with the Superman/Batman film in the same time slot. Critical and financial success in the box office has a tremendous impact on the popularity of character. Captain America's stock is on the rise with Winter Soldier, while Supeman's is down with Man of Steel.

Lolwut. Then explain why the "guy in the american flag-suit" is competing head to head with the Superman/Batman film in the same time slot. Critical and financial success in the box office has a tremendous impact on the popularity of character. Captain America's stock is on the rise with Winter Soldier, while Supeman's is down with Man of Steel.

Yeah and just because EVERYONE knows who Superman is doesn't translate directly to ticket sales. If that were the case then Man of Steel would be the highest grossing superhero film ever, not Avengers.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Movie ticket sales != overall popularity. This is what I was talking about.

And yes, Captain Americas stock is rising. But it doesnt impact Supermans Status.

And damn, I am Team Marvel and dont read any DC stuff beside Batman, I even think 98% of their characters are silly shit, but everybody who is not a fanboy has to admit that Batman and Superman are far far bigger Franchises than Iron Man ir Avengers. Everybody knows this two character since ages, they have a far far bigger legacy than everything Disney has rights right now. The only one who can compete with them is... Suprise... Spider-Man.

LOL, Iron Man doesnt even has a own Editor by Marvel. So unimportant is he as a non-movie character. And Its not like he has something like this what shows up regulary in New York: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa6iofdPTC0

Even the City of New York uses him for promotion and gave him an entry in the book of the city. And again, nobody there gives a shit about Tony Stark. Its al Spider-Man.

Gartooth

'Marvel Cinematic Universe Stars Unite To Help A Cancer Patient'

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/news/?a=100103

Thanks for posting it here, reading this hit me. ;_;

Jumping into the current conversation, I'm not sure status as an icon can be directly equated to how financially successful a particular property is. Something like Mickey Mouse is one of the most iconic characters in fiction, yet we rarely see Disney utilize him and his cast of characters. This is far from the case with superhero properties, but again popularity and status as an icon aren't directly related.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Superior Spider-Man was one of the best books marvel had over the last 1 1/2 year. critically and in terms of sales.

Iron Man had only one cartoon in 2009 and it was plain shit, while Spider-Man has regular ones. Better and worser, but he regulary has ones. And there was a Avengers carton, in which he showed up.

Marvel founded a own company for Spider-Man Merchandise. I dont think that they would make one, if he would be a B-Tier character. Never saw Iron Man merchandise anywhere.

The thing is, MCU Fanboys and people who are just familiar with the movies have prejudices, because he isnt in the MCU and stuff like this. But Spider-Man is still Marvels most important hero.

you've never seen ironman merch therefore it doesnt exist or matter? I hate to break it to you ...but marvel has been selling toys for decades , i have some iron man figures still packed up in my basement, matter of fact they have an entire masterpiece and solo line for iron man. The action figure line was all the variants, modular, silver cent, sub terranean, stealth armor, and the masterpiece ones were the 12 inch comic classic armors.

Not only that but i've bought my 8 year old nephew at least 3 iron man toys in the past 5 years, the hand blaster, the face mask , 2 war machine action figures and some Iron Man theme car or some shit. He loves iron man toys.

Rage more i saw more kids dressed up in Capt America costumes this PAST halloween than superman, i can only imagine this year.

TDLink

Sony isn't giving up Spider-Man. At least not in the next 5 years. They don't exactly have much else when it comes to their film properties.

TDLink

i guess some are arguing that sony will get out of the film business if the company as a whole keeps losing money.

They might, but Amazing Spider-man 3 and Sinister Six at least are pretty set in stone at this point. With dates already set, I don't see Venom and ASM4 not happening too unless the next two are huge bombs. All that is going to take at least 5 years.

Sony's pictures was depending on ASM2 to be a smash.

I can see Sony shutting down there film division and just selling Spidey in an auction type build.

With Disney winning.

I hope WB wins the bid and teams up Spiderman with Batman and Superman.

theoretically if WB bought the movie rights...would that even be possible?

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

i dont know if sony OWNS rights or have a deal that grants them rights to make films i would guess if they were to sell early they could or just sit on them and they expire.

TDLink

Sony's pictures was depending on ASM2 to be a smash.

I can see Sony shutting down there film division and just selling Spidey in an auction type build.

With Disney winning.

ASM2 wasn't as successful as Sony hoped it would be, but it's still profitable. It's going to take the next couple bombing for Sony to decide it's not worth holding onto (or holding on to the studio in general).

It would be silly for WB imo, without merchandise and such it just isn't worth it.
As it would bump Spider-Man merchandise, cartoons and comics your just helping a competitor with likely little return on a huge investment.

Solo films would take too much away from other potential characters that WB themselves completely profit from.
So it would be paying a billion+ to add him to a movie already likely to make a billion+ and the return wouldn't be near that much.

jmood88

I'm in a weird situation, where I'm really enjoying the ASM films and want to see how the series plays out, but Spidey in the MCU would be a total fuck yes.

I don't know what I want :C

I really wish I could get Marc Webb and Andrew Garfield/Emma Stone doing a Spider-Man movie with Feige in control. Arad and the other guy have no idea what they're doing and haven't learned a single thing from fucking up Spider-Man 3.

Gartooth

C'mon guys, we're seriously discussing Sony getting out of the movie business? That division is one of their few profitable bright spots, and they still haven't fully gotten away from other cancers in their business such as their PC division.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
C'mon guys, we're seriously discussing Sony getting out of the movie business? That division is one of their few profitable bright spots, and they still haven't fully gotten away from other cancers in their business such as their PC division.

...I thought they just did get out of the PC business months ago.

I thought that there was a rumor posted a while ago about them considering selling the rights to Bond. The fact that the company as a whole is still losing money after huge layoffs, shutting down whole divisions, and a huge cooperate restructure makes me think that anything is possible.

I really wish I could get Marc Webb and Andrew Garfield/Emma Stone doing a Spider-Man movie with Feige in control. Arad and the other guy have no idea what they're doing and haven't learned a single thing from fucking up Spider-Man 3.

Pretty much my ideal situation. Won't happen though :/

Oh, guess I'm behind the times on this. I saw Sony's latest financial situation and assumed that they were still trying to get rid of their PC business given how deep it was in the red.

Sony is still in the process of selling off the PC and TV divisions. The PC sale is expected to be completed by July. They lost $500m in the last financial year and if the current sell-offs, layoffs, and restructures dont work they will need to do something else. I gotta think the movie division has to be up there for things they could part with that would have value to other companies. http://www.tweaktown.com/news/37728...ttered-forecasts-losses-until-2015/index.html

Hobobloke

ASM2 wasn't as successful as Sony hoped it would be, but it's still profitable. It's going to take the next couple bombing for Sony to decide it's not worth holding onto (or holding on to the studio in general).

I was reading this article earlier this week which seemed to suggest otherwise, specifically this quote.

Sony is said to have spent over $200 million on TASM2 (before marketing, and either way it's a lowball estimate) and some analysts project that it will have to earn $800 million worldwide just to start turning a profit ... and at this point it's not looking good for the film to even equal the $750 million final take of its (much less expensive) predecessor.

I was reading this article earlier this week which seemed to suggest otherwise, specifically this quote.

Yeah someone broke it down in the weekly box office thread, it looks like it will need to do around $800m to break a profit for Sony. I still cant believe they gave away the merchandising rights for only $270m. God what a terrible deal that was for them.

I had no idea about the deal when I heard about it. I was shocked that Disney/Marvel would have even considered giving Sony perpetual rights for the films when they only had a couple movies left before they got them back. But maybe they were counting on the movies underperforming and it backfiring on Sony. Or maybe they're really not in any rush to have their own take on Spider-Man when the Avengers movies are already successful enough.

I had no idea about the deal when I heard about it. I was shocked that Disney/Marvel would have even considered giving Sony perpetual rights for the films when they only had a couple movies left before they got them back. But maybe they were counting on the movies underperforming and it backfiring on Sony. Or maybe they're really not in any rush to have their own take on Spider-Man when the Avengers movies are already successful enough.

Huh?
Marvel sold the rights to Sony back in the mid nineties didn't they?
Bankruptcy, desperation, no market for superhero movies at the time.

The deal over merchandising rights was recently and it involved a swap where Disney/Marvel bought the merchandising rights from Sony and sold Sony their 5% stake in Spider-Man box office gross.

Disney took advantage of Sony's dedication and desperation to making money off of Spider-Man, by letting Sony think they were getting the better end of the deal, and that has now back fired with Sony over spending in production and marketing while Disney sits back and rakes it in through toys and collectibles.

Yeah someone broke it down in the weekly box office thread, it looks like it will need to do around $800m to break a profit for Sony. I still cant believe they gave away the merchandising rights for only $270m. God what a terrible deal that was for them.

If you were taking about this post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=111539686&postcount=82
Then that was me, and I figured at 50% of marketing being co-funded through advertisements, they still needed $640M WW to break even (not accounting for lesser gross in China).

What it breaks down to is that Sony will not be happy with the performance of this movie in the theater and profits will have to come from DVD sales.
I'm sure they go full steam ahead into the next movie still, and then maybe reevaluate the spinoffs in 2016.

jmood88

They were in a tough spot, though, since Disney was apparently fine with not making any toys unless they got all the merchandising money.

An MiB movie? Without Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones? It will never work out

It's not that crazy, just find two actors who can play off each other like Smith and Jones did. Sony should sell the Spider-man film rights to Disney and use a portion of that money to fund a high quality MiB reboot.

numble

I think China tilts the balance and makes movie sales important. Most Chinese people did not grow up recognizing any of these characters, Iron Man is arguably more famous than Superman (it helps that they seem to like robots and mechs, see the popularity of Transformers and Pacific Rim over there).

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I think China tilts the balance and makes movie sales important. Most Chinese people did not grow up recognizing any of these characters, Iron Man is arguably more famous than Superman (it helps that they seem to like robots and mechs, see the popularity of Transformers and Pacific Rim over there).

OK, you guys conviced me. Nobody knows Spider-Man, Superman and Batman anymore, now its all Avengers. In all media, even when everything beside of movies has better sales by far.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

Yep, Captain America The Winter Soldier made big box office bucks in China.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom