• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it that if a character gets completely changed in a book to film adaptation it's terrible a lot of the time, but if the character's from a comic it's "lol why does it matter"?

What's the point of adapting that comic or character if you're not going to adapt the actual character and just make up something different?

Yes this was inspired by the Quicksilver discussion in the DoFP thread shh >_>

J10

Banned
Why is it that if a character gets completely changed in a book to film adaptation it's terrible a lot of the time, but if the character's from a comic it's "lol why does it matter"?

What's the point of adapting that comic or character if you're not going to adapt the actual character and just make up something different?

Yes this was inspired by the Quicksilver discussion in the DoFP thread shh >_>

It's not worth arguing about. Most of the time when movie studios are adapting licensed material they have very little regard for what makes the material appealing to it's audience in the first place. They care more about whether people will pay for another version of it. A lot of the time it's also executives who wish they were creative people just tinkering with a toy, not really caring about what that toy means to their audience, keeping just enough essence of the thing to keep enough people pacified.

Marvel Studios is unique in that these IPs are actually theirs, so they are more inclined to take character treatment seriously.

It's not worth arguing about. Most of the time when movie studios are adapting licensed material they have very little regard for what makes the material appealing to it's audience in the first place. They care more about whether people will pay for another version of it. A lot of the time it's also executives who wish they were creative people just tinkering with a toy, not really caring about what that toy means to their audience, keeping just enough essence of the thing to keep enough people pacified.

Marvel Studios is unique in that these IPs are actually theirs, so they are more inclined to take character treatment seriously.

That's why I bought it here, away from the people who'd probably call me an idiot who doesn't care about good films :p

And yeah, that's probably part of it. It just seems weird for directors to sign on to make these films without really caring about the property. But then on the other hand money so maybe not.

Saw my argument and how they tried to strawman what I was saying and use profts and then dismiss profits?

Yeah. Don't worry, some of the biggest MCU haters who are desperate for another comic movie to be successful.

Just look up there post history.

Just brought up a point one of the posters said.

Laid Back Pietro. Psshhh.

1upmuffin

Finally saw The Incredible Hulk, I know it's the 2nd MCU movie but I wasn't really interested in seeing another Hulk film at the time. That being said, I liked the film, Norton was a good Bruce Banner and I liked how they quickly went through the Hulk origin at the beginning.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Might be old, but it's rumoured that Eden Sher recently had talks with Marvel to star as Ms Marvel.

https://twitter.com/edensher/status/469193366635544576
Went to marvel offices at noon for a "15 minute meeting." 3 hrs and 80 lbs of issues later, here I am paralyzed from excitement.

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/469224877325430785/photo/1
Actress @edensher visited Marvel today to pick up some comics, talk tonight's season finale of @TheMiddle_ABC & more!

BoMFigZCcAEj3nl.jpg

Avengers did better at balancing all the characters than Singer ever did for X1 and X2. Days of Future Past looks to be really Wolverine centric aswell. Wtf is he talking about?

Eh, Avengers is definitely better at handling an ensemble cast than X1 is, but X2 is much better in that regard. Avengers is excellent at giving each character multiple Big Moments of Cool, which is deeply important, but there's little in the way of character arcs in the film, whereas X2 juggles quite a few of those with aplomb (mostly by smartly grouping characters into bunches). Neither film gets it perfect, and Avengers is much more fun, but X2 doesn't have anything as sloppy as the bit where Thor gets ejected from the helicarrier, looks at his hammer with a discouraged facial expression, twenty minutes pass with no Thor, then Thor decides he will, in fact, pick up his hammer.

duckroll

What does this mean? He doesn't talk really fast and isn't constantly waiting for people to get on with stuff, like super impatient?

crimsonspider89 hasn't seen DOFP, and he's been going on some strange bizarre crusade on this Quicksilver thing when he's dead wrong. Now he's trying to start shit in here too. If he doesn't stop, he's going to be banned pretty soon. Don't listen to him.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Does Singer actually believe this nonsense? Iron Man certainly wasn't an "incredibly familiar character" before 2008, and Fox could have had an MCU-style interconnected X-Men universe by now had they had the vision to develop characters other than Wolverine, Xavier, and Magneto. To be fair, a lot of the blame goes to studio hacks like the thankfully-departed Tom Rothman, who almost ran the franchise into the ground with X3 and Origins.

yeah...wow Xmen has to be the most popular/successful superhero comicbooks ...on earth for some time now. Maybe if this were ...back in the 70's or part of the 80's but , Xmen are...way bigger than the avengers or any solo char. They are utter rock stars of comicdom. Maybe not now but thats recent that they've released their stranglehold as most popular superhero comicbook team. All time plenty would consider them the best. He wouldn't know though he doesnt care about the source material.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
This thread doesn't move THAT fast. Literally all you have to do is check the previous page before posting.

I meant more than there's like a different thread to post in every month, like Guardians, then Guardians trailer, then "Rumour: X is casted for X role". Never know which to post in :p

Anyway we're getting OT.

So ASM 2's 3rd week is around $16m. It looks like it will be lucky to hit $200m in the US. Crazy that while all the other super hero movies seem to be blowing up SM is dropping like a rock. I wonder what Sony will do next. To soon to reboot, but I cant see them doing another big budget SM movie with how poor the company is doing at the moment.

So ASM 2's 3rd week is around $16m. It looks like it will be lucky to hit $200m in the US. Crazy that while all the other super hero movies seem to be blowing up SM is dropping like a rock. I wonder what Sony will do next. To soon to reboot, but I cant see them doing another big budget SM movie with how poor the company is doing at the moment.

If they decide to dump the current storyline, then they need to sit on it for a while. Reboot too soon again, and watch the series fall even further.

What they really need to do for the sequel(s) is reign in the spending to a moderate budget of maybe $150M, keep marketing reasonable (Spider-man doesn't need to be everywhere and on everything) and just make something with a good tight story, filmed on budget and on schedule.

DieH@rd

Banned

They will continue with the current plan. 2 more standalone films and then ASM3.

jmood88

What the fuck, Marvel. He's been working on this movie longer than the other franchises have existed so how is there just now a difference of opinion?

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I am actually okay with this. It really sucks for him, but eh... I was never a fan of him directing it to begin with.

Man, people need to chill. With this track record Marvel has, I'm sure Ant-Man will still be awesome. I bet the differences were he wanted it to be more wacky than anything.

I've never seen a Marvel film because of who was directing it.

J10

Banned
Yeah this is crazy to me.

They have to know 99% of the buzz around this move was because of him.

Ya'll keep talking about this dude like he's Scorsese. Whatever buzz this movie generates when they start actually marketing it will revolve around the Marvel brand.

Showaddy

Would they have even made Ant-Man if Wright hadn't pushed for it? Like his original script pre-dates the MCU, would Marvel have bothered if the film wasn't already on a plate for them to put into production?

J10

Banned
Ant-Man and Wasp were in the original script for Avengers. They kept them out so as to not fuck with Wright's plans. We should have actually seen them on film already.

Ya'll keep talking about this dude like he's Scorsese. Whatever buzz this movie generates when they start actually marketing it will revolve around the Marvel brand.
Sorry, Wright was perfect for this. Dude has visual style galore, understands how to mix comedy, action, and drama, and with his last couple of movies has shown he is one of the few non-asian directors to understand how to shoot a fight scene. He's been working on this particular story for 8 years pre-dating the MCU and it is very obviously a passion project. I can't imagine any director being brought in weeks before filming that would execute this project nearly as well or with the same amount of care. That makes this a HUGE blow to a movie that needs to be pretty fucking awesome to sell it's hard to take seriously premise.

Ant-Man and Wasp were in the original script for Avengers. They kept them out so as to not fuck with Wright's plans. We should have actually seen them on film already.
This is incorrect.

Joss Whedon said:
There was a very Wasp-y draft that I wrote. But it was way too Wasp-y. I was like, ‘She’s adorable! I’m just going to watch her!’

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=98223

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom