• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

numble

OK, you guys conviced me. Nobody knows Spider-Man, Superman and Batman anymore, now its all Avengers. In all media, even when everything beside of movies has better sales by far.
Your reply has nothing to do with my post.

You are talking about recognition by millions of people, but discount that recognition by movies, for some reason. There's 1.3 billion people in China. They aren't watching the cartoons or buying the comics in China. The box office there is reflective of the popularity of characters there. Yes, Spider-Man does well there, but Superman and Batman have not done very well there, especially when compared to Iron Man and the Avengers--heck, even Captain America did very well there. There are probably stats you can also look up for the popularity of their movies on streaming video services there. Transformers, Pacific Rim, and Iron Man have been wildly popular in China. You can see that there is a common theme to those subjects.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Marvel's film business is basically subsidizing their print business. Comics make no money today.

They probably don't care about the print business breaking even, it's a gold mine for stories, characters, and plots, even if 75% are bad.

1upmuffin

Working on catching up with the MCU. Currently watching Iron Man 2, just watched Thor yesterday, still need to see The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 3, and Thor: The Dark World.

Also on episode 4 of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

I'm really excited to start catching up. I hear Agents gets better after the first 10 episodes or something but I think the first few have been good already, does it just get better from here?

Watching the movies is making me kinda want to read more Marvel comics as well. Maybe after I catch up on the movies/show I'll get Marvel Unlimited for a month or so, is it good/worth it?

Dai101

Banned
I'm really excited to start catching up. I hear Agents gets better after the first 10 episodes or something but I think the first few have been good already, does it just get better from here?

Watching the movies is making me kinda want to read more Marvel comics as well. Maybe after I catch up on the movies/show I'll get Marvel Unlimited for a month or so, is it good/worth it?

Oh my YES. It's gets miles better.

sol_bad

Working on catching up with the MCU. Currently watching Iron Man 2, just watched Thor yesterday, still need to see The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 3, and Thor: The Dark World.

oh noes
Wrong order.

Iron Man > Incredible Hulk > Iron Man 2 > Thor > Captain America: The First Avenger > Avengers > Iron Man 3 > Thor: The Dark World > Agents of Shield (up to episode 16) > Captain America: The Winter Soldier > Agents of Shield (episode 17 onwards).

Are you watching them on Blu Ray?

Jonogunn

Better read sol_bad's post and follow that! You won't enjoy it nearly as much if you don't watch it in order along with all post-credit scenes

1upmuffin

oh noes
Wrong order.

Iron Man > Incredible Hulk > Iron Man 2 > Thor > Captain America: The First Avenger > Avengers > Iron Man 3 > Thor: The Dark World > Agents of Shield (up to episode 16) > Captain America: The Winter Soldier > Agents of Shield (episode 17 onwards).

Are you watching them on Blu Ray?

I know it's the wrong order, but I already saw the other ones in theatres, so now I'm just filling in the blanks, so that I'll be caught up when new stuff like GotG comes out.

I also want to re-watch The Avengers at some point after I see the others.

Also, I'm not watching on Blu Ray, I'm streaming and getting the DVD's from Netflix.

TDLink

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/05/1...e-hulk-movie-rumors-daredevil-netflix-series/

Mark Waid is going to be involved with the Netflix Daredevil series.

He also says there's a strong possibility of a Hulk film based on the Indestructible Hulk coming out.

All he says about Hulk is he heard a rumour, but he's the last person to know anything at Marvel since the Studios division doesn't talk with the Comics division much.

Don't really think his comments here mean anything regarding a new film.

I do wonder what he'll do for Daredevil though. Maybe write some of the episodes?

curb

Banned

If you're enjoying AoS that early and you like the broader MCU then you'll likely really enjoy the back half of the season, especially with the Winter Soldier tie-in. I liked the first half but I wasn't in love with it. The latter half turned it into must-watch TV for me.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

Oh yeah AoS gets better. I personally like to link it to the moment Skye gets shot and cannot talk for a few episodes. I eagerly await her transformation into a more complete character as opposed to the "im still an idiot even though i almost die every 72hrs" persona. In the grand scheme of things they dont even need her smedium skills, we all know she has more to be revealed...the slow burn is a misfire imho.

All he says about Hulk is he heard a rumour, but he's the last person to know anything at Marvel since the Studios division doesn't talk with the Comics division much.

I do wonder what he'll do for Daredevil though. Maybe write some of the episodes?

Of course not. Means they would have to put up with Joe Q/Alonso/Bendis saying the fans will love there stories/ideas that were disasters.

Can see Waid writing some of the episodes for DD.

neoanarch

That just isn't true. They may not share every single development. But they do plan things and share infoprmation quite a bit Waid himself being such a long time writer would be privvy to insider info. Especially if he has been even considered to write anything for the series.

TDLink

That just isn't true. They may not share every single development. But they do plan things and share infoprmation quite a bit Waid himself being such a long time writer would be privvy to insider info. Especially if he has been even considered to write anything for the series.

I was just paraphrasing what he said in the link. I am sure some of the Marvel Comics writers do in fact know more about MCU stuff than they let on. That being said, I'm also sure they are/will be more involved with the TV stuff than the film stuff and that very few people know about any of the film stuff past 2-3 years in the future.

J10

Banned
"We're the bastard stepchild of the comic book universe."

Bullshit. Fox merely doesn't know what to do with anybody who's not Wolverine. There are at least a half dozen X-Men characters who could have had successful standalone franchises and Fox opted for six Wolverine movies instead. What is actually happening is Marvel showed them something a little different and now they feel pressure to copy it because Marvel now has two movies that did over a billion each at the box office while not a single X-Men movie has done even half that.

Singer's probably still great at making X-Men movies, but in terms of the bigger picture he sounds super aimless. Not exactly got Whedon's vision.

Just leave it to the suits, man.

Singer is a moron. He was given several of Marvel's A-listers who are still extremely popular with casual fanbases and hasn't done jack. Perhaps focus on the others?

Also on every marvel game, the most requested characters are the X-Men.

Quit focusing on Logan/Magneto/Xavier and give us some other X-Men.

Hell, you couldn't even give us Rachel.

Focus on the other characters, particularly the females.

Based on the evidence from every single X-men movie ever made, it seems like they don't really understand what people like about X-Men other than Wolverine. The biggest problem was that they cast the first three films poorly except for Stewart and Wolverine and then had to write around it (Cyclops should be one of the main focuses of the entire thing and he is relegated to C-list in the films).

Based on the reviews I've read so far on DoFP, they still don't know what they're doing with the characters and Singer's shoddy visual style is hard to overlook.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
poor_spidey_by_mauricioabril-d7j6oe9.jpg

Perfection.

Dai101

Banned
Strong words for a scumbag and a rapist. Fuck him and his movies. Not watching the next xmen.

EDIT: dawwwwwwwwwwwwwww............ i needed that to brighten my day :3

X-Men’s Bryan Singer versus Avengers and Iron Man

I'm sorry, but Singer sounds like an ass in this article.

Does Singer actually believe this nonsense? Iron Man certainly wasn't an "incredibly familiar character" before 2008, and Fox could have had an MCU-style interconnected X-Men universe by now had they had the vision to develop characters other than Wolverine, Xavier, and Magneto. To be fair, a lot of the blame goes to studio hacks like the thankfully-departed Tom Rothman, who almost ran the franchise into the ground with X3 and Origins.

Based on the evidence from every single X-men movie ever made, it seems like they don't really understand what people like about X-Men other than Wolverine. The biggest problem was that they cast the first three films poorly except for Stewart and Wolverine and then had to write around it (Cyclops should be one of the main focuses of the entire thing and he is relegated to C-list in the films).

Based on the reviews I've read so far on DoFP, they still don't know what they're doing with the characters and Singer's shoddy visual style is hard to overlook.

I know Paquin can act and be more like Rogue just from True Blood. Hell she wanted to be more flying around and punching things Rogue. They are going try to push Tatum as Gambit next(ROFL, he is nowhere as talented as Jackman, get that shit outta here).

BLACKLAC

Singer should really stop making excuses.

I know he can't say it in public but blame Fox. Or better yet blame yourself, you have characters with those power sets and the best you could produce is the nightcrawler opening scene in X-2... Shameful.

The reason these films never cross 460 million WW is because the character development is light and the action doesn't drop jaws.

"Earlier on, Eden Cher (Sue Heck from The Middle) revealed via Twitter that she'd taken a meeting with Marvel: "Went to marvel offices at noon for a "15 minute meeting." 3 hrs and 80 lbs of issues later, here I am paralyzed from excitement." Fans have been speculating as to which role she may have met for -- or indeed if it was for a specific role at all. Well, Sher apparently followed this tweet up with some responses to her followers, and although they've since been deleted, a very telling one is screen-capped below."

BoMPS_PIAAAMHpS.jpg:large

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom