• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
So ASM 2's 3rd week is around $16m. It looks like it will be lucky to hit $200m in the US. Crazy that while all the other super hero movies seem to be blowing up SM is dropping like a rock. I wonder what Sony will do next. To soon to reboot, but I cant see them doing another big budget SM movie with how poor the company is doing at the moment.

Well the rumor is Sony might be looking to sell and if Marvel/Disney was Smart they would be looking to buy.

It makes a certain amount of sense too considering that to keep the license they have to spend.

adg1034

BoZHChVIgAEYQUp.jpg

That's fantastic. And just a little too soon.

I know everyone's upset about the Ant-Man situation, but here's some good news:

Apparantly, Marvel/Disney has the rights to Namor, NOT Universal.

Read the replies.

twitter said:
Jim Vejvoda ‏@StaxIGN May 22
@Borys_Kit Feige just told me in March when I asked him about those that it was another complicated situation

Eric Goldman ‏@EricIGN May 22
@Borys_Kit Feige recently told @StaxIGN that Namor rights were "a little complicated" http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04...ts-in-store-for-the-marvel-cinematic-universe …

IGN said:
IGN: Can you shed any light on the nature of the rights for characters like Namor and Kingpin and Elektra? Clearly, with the Daredevil Netflix series, a lot of people are wondering who basically controls Kingpin and Elektra, and a lot of folks are wondering about Namor because of the fact that you guys are going to do The Defenders. Can you clarify that situation?

Feige: No, Namor I think is a little complicated, the way some of them are. Elektra I think we have. I think that was part of Daredevil, and that's clean and simple. Kingpin we either have or somehow share. I'm not 100 percent clear on that one.

Doesn't mean they don't have access to Namor, just means that the situation is complicated. Same thing that was said about Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. It could also be that like was also suggested in the comments that maybe Universal has distribution rights if Marvel makes the movie before a certain time.

edit: and I've said this before, that Namor rights were recently renewed (end of 2010/early 2011) and that it was possibly a short extension of 3-4 years, but could never remember where I saw it.

inky

I never said they didn't have them. Yes, it could be a QS and SW scenario, or it could be something else.

In any case, I don't see them rushing to make a movie out of him.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
With Marvel not owning the rights for neither Fantastic Four or even X-Men, I dont see a point let him appear in a movie.

Kingpin is rather more interesting. I really see him more as an Daredevil Charakter, than as an Spider-Man charakter...

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
With Marvel not owning the rights for neither Fantastic Four or even X-Men, I dont see a point let him appear in a movie.

Kingpin is rather more interesting. I really see him more as an Daredevil Charakter, than as an Spider-Man charakter...

The big thing i would think that stops namor is, its a water film...they're always expensive...but there are tons of great stories for the Sub Mariner especially when Everett did his final run with the character , the man loved the classics and it was clear in his comics.

Doesn't mean they don't have access to Namor, just means that the situation is complicated. Same thing that was said about Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. It could also be that like was also suggested in the comments that maybe Universal has distribution rights if Marvel makes the movie before a certain time.

edit: and I've said this before, that Namor rights were recently renewed (end of 2010/early 2011) and that it was possibly a short extension of 3-4 years, but could never remember where I saw it.
Extensions can be short. The Daredevil extension only lasted about a year and I feel like I remember reading somewhere they actually got two in that time.

TDLink

I posted this in the thread about Wright leaving, but I think it could lead to worthwhile discussion/speculation here too:

Or more cynically, Gunn has become a Marvel sycophant and is just carrying water for them. But I hope not.

In any event (assuming that the Reddit rumor is false and that this was a matter of creative differences), the biggest question here is less why Wright's and Marvel's visions were ultimately incompatible and more why this happened so close to the production start date.

I've been on vacation the last few days so I haven't had time to comment (though I was aware of the news).

I just want to say that I agree with this. It is a bit puzzling that creative differences only surfaced in the last month when the script has more or less been done for a while. All of the major roles are cast. There was a production start date quite soon. It's just odd all around.

I also wonder if this will affect the cast at all. I could see some of the actors walking. It will be interesting to see what happens over this next week.

I'm unsure how much gets like Michael Douglas and Paul Rudd were down to Marvel or Edgar Wright.

I want a real source before I believe the internet that evil CEOs woke up on Friday morning and decided they hate creativity.

A few weeks back Loltinoreview was trying to pass off photoshopped Black Panther call sheets as a scoop.

1upmuffin

Can somebody explain me the reference to the Whedon Picture? I dont get it o_O

Edgar Wright has a trilogy of films called the Cornetto trilogy, which is Hot Fuzz, Shawn of the Dead, and The Worlds End.

Whedon is just showing his support for Edgar Wright, since Wright was removed from being the director of Ant Man.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
OK, thanks.

Well, then I dont even read this article. Seems like another salty hyperbole article, that #marvelisdoomed

Its of course a big disappointment that Edgar Wright is not longer involved in the movie, but this hyperbole how the whole Universe is going to die because of it is bullshit. Marvel will never let Kevin Feige go and Wheedon has a contract for three Movies...

Y'know, I would not be too surprised if we get some major Marvel Studios news this week in an attempt to divert attention from the Wright debacle. Maybe an announcement of their second 2016 film.

TDLink

Y'know, I would not be too surprised if we get some major Marvel Studios news this week in an attempt to divert attention from the Wright debacle. Maybe an announcement of their second 2016 film.

Well....

In more positive MCU news, a third GotG trailer was just classified. Don't expect much, though.

This could be it, provided the trailer is significantly different from the one they literally just released a week ago. Although I'm not really expecting more than a slightly altered cut of the same trailer.

I definitely do expect Marvel to try to put out some sort of positive news to overshadow the Edgar Wright story.

Marc

Was this posted on GAF anywhere?

http://marvel.com/news/tv/2014/5/24/22578/steven_s_deknight_joins_marvels_daredevil

Marvel confirming that Deknight is taking over due to the Sinister Six movie?
Wasn't this Daredevil and Ant-Man news both used to try and shed negative light on the MCU?

Wow, that is excellent news. His writing on Spartacus was the biggest draw for that show, did some incredible work. Shame he couldn't get his Halo-like scifi TV show off the ground but might get a great Daredevil show at least.

sol_bad

Wow, that is excellent news. His writing on Spartacus was the biggest draw for that show, did some incredible work. Shame he couldn't get his Halo-like scifi TV show off the ground but might get a great Daredevil show at least.

Yeah I am very happy, I'm only on season 2 but I'm a massive fan of Spartacus so far.

Snow

Is Spartacus really that good? I remember watching the first 2 or 3 episodes and coming away with the feeling that it seemed really shallow. Like a GoT with the sex and gore ramped up to 11, but without the fun politicking and intrigue.

Is Spartacus really that good? I remember watching the first 2 or 3 episodes and coming away with the feeling that it seemed really shallow. Like a GoT with the sex and gore ramped up to 11, but without the fun politicking and intrigue.

i thought i'd hate spartacus after that shit-tier pilot. but the show got so much better as you went along.

yeah it's sex and gore ramped up to the max. but wait til you get more scenes with batiatus. and the dialogue becomes infectious.

JDSN

Banned

Gets good at the fifth or so episode, remains very good during the entire run.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

It starts of a little weak... well you know that's not even it, it's just very different from what you expect from a show like this. Once you get with the flow, it goes HAM start to finish.

No show does season finales like Spartacus, it builds things perfectly over the season and then goes fucking thermonuclear for the last episodes. So good.

I thought it was kind of a 300 rip off for the first 3 episodes. After that though, the gladiator stuff really kicks in and it literally became one of my favorite seasons of TV ever. So good.

I've just had a thought about the whole Ant-Man/Edgar Wright situation.

Why not Michelle MacLaren? She's directed some of the best episodes of Breaking Bad, and I imagine, as a TV director, she'd be pretty good at working with stuff that's already in place (sets, actors, etc.). I don't know how well she'd be able to work with Edgar Wright's script, nor with what I'm assuming is a much much bigger budget than she's used to, but I'm pretty sure she'd be better than a lot of the other choices.

This is me not knowing anything really about film/TV production though, so feel free to tell me I'm wrong. Still, would like to see her working on some bigger things, she deserves it.

Though Lord and Miller are still my top choices. LORD AND MILLER MARVEL, DO IT.

I've just had a thought about the whole Ant-Man/Edgar Wright situation.

Why not Michelle MacLaren? She's directed some of the best episodes of Breaking Bad, and I imagine, as a TV director, she'd be pretty good at working with stuff that's already in place (sets, actors, etc.). I don't know how well she'd be able to work with Edgar Wright's script, nor with what I'm assuming is a much much bigger budget than she's used to, but I'm pretty sure she'd be better than a lot of the other choices.

This is me not knowing anything really about film/TV production though, so feel free to tell me I'm wrong. Still, would like to see her working on some bigger things, she deserves it.

Though Lord and Miller are still my top choices. LORD AND MILLER MARVEL, DO IT.

99102-thats-good-thats-damn-good-gif-hSoD.gif

NotLiquid

I was listening to this Escapist Podcast which talked a little bit about the Ant-Man situation and I feel some good points are made here in regards to this whole debacle. The most important takeaway I find here is that the manner of Wright's departure isn't exactly unheard of in Marvel's situation (the exact thing happened with Thor 2), with the biggest reason to this just being made a big deal is simply because it's Edgar Wright we're talking about here, which will be considered as a major loss even if the movie turns out to be brilliant. It's safe to say even though Marvel always took risks, they're still very much reliant on the studio system to push them along the way, and that kind of system is one that Edgar Wright isn't attuned to or ready to compromise with, unlike guys like Gunn and Whedon who are probably more than accustomed to working around it. On top of that, losing that kind of name vindicates a lot of suppositions and worries that the MCU will at some point run out of it's gas.

This slight homogenization if you can call it that never started here, it's been existent ever since Iron Man 2, and if anything that movie seemed like a case study in how receptive Marvel actually were to the fan feedback since the abundance of pointless easter eggs and fan service was significantly lessened in every movie that follows. It feels like they take each movie nowadays with a lot more of a checklist of "don't"s.

It does suck a lot that we won't get the Ant-Man we were promised and I really did want to see Edgar Wright do what he does best, but I don't think this is going to spell out the "end of an era" like people are expecting it to be. Hell, the relatively similar circumstances that created the slapdash Thor 2 was followed a year later by one of the best goddamn super hero movies of all time with Cap 2. In the grand scheme of things I feel like this is just going to end up as a pretty major sidestep before they balance it out with announcing, I dunno, a She-Hulk movie or something.
Please make She-Hulk though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom