• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
haha Jesus

It's funny cause it's true. Get your shit together DC.

Also, didn't realize Thor 2 was rated worse than Iron Man 2. Loki alone was > IM2.

Justin Hammer bumps up IM2 a few points so that it skirts by...but yeah both were above avg at best. IM2 did have that sweet ending action though ...till whiplash ruined all the fun.

eastx

Justin Hammer bumps up IM2 a few points so that it skirts by...but yeah both were above avg at best. IM2 did have that sweet ending action though ...till whiplash ruined all the fun.

The Whiplash fight was literally the most underwhelming boss battle I've ever seen in a movie. It was kind of like Agent Garrett's last appearance in Agents of SHIELD, except there was no punchline. Iron Man 2 is easily Marvel's worst film IMO.

sol_bad

I still think the first Captain America film is the worst. Primarily due to pacing which is due to having to go through so much in a short time frame. It could have easily been split into two seperate films before he woke up in contemporary times.
I wouldn't have wanted two films set in WW2 though so it's basically a lose/lose situation for me and The First Avenger.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Crossposting from a different thread (since this one is probably better suited and the conversation couldn't be any more appropriate):

I just watched Thor 2. It was well produced, solidly directed, had great action and managed to be funny when it ought to be. It was also amazingly violent for a Marvel film.

While I can see some of its flaws (poor treatement of Portman's character and rather unremarkable big bad despite the elves' great design), it's definitely an accomplished film, and a stronger one than the gaudy mess that was the first Thor movie. I definitely cannot understand some of the scores it got.

My body is ready for Thor 3.

So, I've been thinking, and I think it's a safe bet that Thanos personally kills Loki during or at the end of Thor 3... perhaps by surprise, in a single blow.

What better way to hype the big bad than to have him decimate a fan favorite with ease, showcasing his otherworldly power that trumps even a God of Asgard?

I believe the key to Thanos is teasing him as minimal as possible until Avengers 3. Show him obtaining the stones, but do not show him fighting anyone, such as the idea of him fighting the Guardians of the Galaxy in their second movie. I think if you use him too early, his luster and mystery will be all but lost when it comes time for Avengers 3.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
The Russos talk Captain America 3:

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/captain-america-winter-soldier-sequel-russo-in-93879500192.html?src=rss

the brothers will tackle the third film, which picks up “a couple years” after Winter Soldier left off. Although the heart of the movie will be Steve Rogers’ complicated relationship with his childhood friend Bucky Barnes, the themes of politics and power will still be in play. “The character was invented for an explicitly political purpose. So it’s hard to get away from that nature,” Anthony tells Yahoo. It’s also important to the directors that Captain America doesn’t become another disillusioned antihero. As Joe sees it, “his morality is part of his superpower.”

So, I've been thinking, and I think it's a safe bet that Thanos personally kills Loki during or at the end of Thor 3... perhaps by surprise, in a single blow.

What better way to hype the big bad than to have him decimate a fan favorite with ease, showcasing his otherworldly power that trumps even a God of Asgard?

I believe the key to Thanos is teasing him as minimal as possible until Avengers 3. Show him obtaining the stones, but do not show him fighting anyone, such as the idea of him fighting the Guardians of the Galaxy in their second movie. I think if you use him too early, his luster and mystery will be all but lost when it comes time for Avengers 3.

This is definitely what I've been expecting to happen ever since The Other gave Loki that vague threat in Avengers.

Now that Loki rules Asgard, he has the Tesseract and likely does not want to get involved with Thanos again. I think he will enter Asgard alone and nearly decimate it, and kill Loki for it, all while Thor is away on Earth.

This is definitely what I've been expecting to happen ever since The Other gave Loki that vague threat in Avengers.

Now that Loki rules Asgard, he has the Tesseract and likely does not want to get involved with Thanos again. I think he will enter Asgard alone and nearly decimate it, and kill Loki for it, all while Thor is away on Earth.

Makes complete and logical sense. Thor returns to Asgard at the end of Thor 3 and finds it in absolute ruin from Thanos. This gives Thor reason to return to Earth to warn of what's to come. Hell, you could even throw in the Guardians at the end of Thor 3, showing up at Asgard too late.

Makes complete and logical sense. Thor returns to Asgard at the end of Thor 3 and finds it in absolute ruin from Thanos. This gives Thor reason to return to Earth to warn of what's to come. Hell, you could even throw in the Guardians at the end of Thor 3, showing up at Asgard too late.

Thanos kicks the ever loving crap out of Thor who falls through Dr Stranges skylight to warn "Thanos is coming".

10582775_888829537797410_6946131612571495306_o.jpg

Why would Jonah Hex, Superman Returns, + Watchmen count?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I have to admit I like Cap 1 better than most of the films because, even if it's compressed, it's the key points in the character journey.

- Best origin / motivation for a full time hero adventurer.
- Frames the costumed super hero as inherently silly, until Cap owns the role and makes people take it seriously.
- Cap wins the day with a classic heroic sacrifice, but unlike most who go out in a blaze of glory...
- ... lives to see it means to be a "hero". He doesn't get the girl. Life moves on without him. And his ultimate reward is merely the prospect of more struggle in a corrupt world.

First Avenger is basically perfect for me except for the montage. Another 15-20 minutes of run time would have been awesome and totally okay for a movie trying to accomplish all it wanted.

It just really cheapens Cap's history in WWII, makes it only seem like he was active for a few weeks/months and like his only involvement in the war was going around blowing up Skull's bases.

It would have been nice if they had left this segment of his history a little more open so we could potentially get some more flashback scenes later on that would fill this out and make it seem like Cap was the WWII hero he really was. He just comes out of the whole thing seeming less experienced than Comic Cap was when he entered the modern age.

Aside from that I love everything about the movie, my favourite Phase 1 entry.

eastx

I feel the same way about Cap. One extra complaint: the finale has some awful green-screened plane hangar nonsense and runway instead of practical locations. Makes the whole segment feel really phony.

Quick

Banned
I have to admit I like Cap 1 better than most of the films because, even if it's compressed, it's the key points in the character journey.

- Best origin / motivation for a full time hero adventurer.
- Frames the costumed super hero as inherently silly, until Cap owns the role and makes people take it seriously.
- Cap wins the day with a classic heroic sacrifice, but unlike most who go out in a blaze of glory...
- ... lives to see it means to be a "hero". He doesn't get the girl. Life moves on without him. And his ultimate reward is merely the prospect of more struggle in a corrupt world.

Cap 1 is one of my favourite movies because of these points.

Additionally, it was unabashedly a superhero movie. It also wasn't "gritty" or dark, like the trend for superheroes seemed to be leaning towards at the time.

sol_bad

I'm of the opinion that Thanos will NOT show up in Avengers 3. I also believe there will be a movie specifically about him before or after he finally confronts the Avengers. Thanos is going to be a slow burn if you ask me.
We have only seen 3 Infinity Stones, 3 more to be introduced. We could see one in Dr Strange, possibly another in GOTG2 and maybe the final in Avengers 3. I think the majority of the stones will be introduced before Thanos starts collecting them.
I do expect Thanos to raid Asgard for the Tesseract and I wouldn't be surprised if he kills Loki.

As for Thanos' own film, I'd place it after he confronts the Avengers. This way leading up to the confrontation we won't know much about him, he'll come across as a prick and we'll hate him. Then show his story afterwards, his trials and tribulations and his downward spiral into madness so the audience emphasises with him.

I'm of the opinion that Thanos will NOT show up in Avengers 3. I also believe there will be a movie specifically about him before or after he finally confronts the Avengers. Thanos is going to be a slow burn if you ask me.
We have only seen 3 Infinity Stones, 3 more to be introduced. We could see one in Dr Strange, possibly another in GOTG2 and maybe the final in Avengers 3. I think the majority of the stones will be introduced before Thanos starts collecting them.
I do expect Thanos to raid Asgard for the Tesseract and I wouldn't be surprised if he kills Loki.

As for Thanos' own film, I'd place it after he confronts the Avengers. This way leading up to the confrontation we won't know much about him, he'll come across as a prick and we'll hate him. Then show his story afterwards, his trials and tribulations and his downward spiral into madness so the audience emphasises with him.

A Thanos film would be very interesting and they did cast Josh Brolin to play him.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Anyone else upset that Cap still hasn't earned his spot at the front of the team? By the end of Avengers, with Tony asking Cap to call the shots and Cap sonning him a bit made me feel like he'd take his rightful place as the shot caller or at least someone with equal leadership capacity as Tony moving into Age of Ultron but it seems like Tony might play the central role once again with Cap's shield being busted and everything.

You'd think this would change considering how successful TWS was, and the backlash Avengers got for being so heavy on RDJ screen time. Still don't believe Hawkeye and Hulk will be the focus as they say.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Anyone else upset that Cap still hasn't earned his spot at the front of the team? By the end of Avengers, with Tony asking Cap to call the shots and Cap sonning him a bit made me feel like he'd take his rightful place as the shot caller or at least someone with equal leadership capacity as Tony moving into Age of Ultron but it seems like Tony might play the central role once again with Cap's shield being busted and everything.

You'd think this would change considering how successful TWS was, and the backlash Avengers got for being so heavy on RDJ screen time. Still don't believe Hawkeye and Hulk will be the focus as they say.
They are actually making Cap to the leader in Avengers 2.

Backlash for RDJ screentime? Are you joking? Everybody loved Avengers because if RDJ.

I feel the Hulk will a BIG focus in this film they have to make up for the fact he hasn't had his own movie like the rest of the main Avengers. Cap could step and be the leader in this one though since Tony isn't technically Iron Man because of the the third movie.

J10

Banned
Pretty much everybody without solo films should get most of the attention. I expect Hawkeye and the twins to feature heavily in this one.

Give me my three-hour Avengers epic, goddammit.

Showaddy

They really should do their own version of The Thanos Quest, not so that the audience could emphasise with him but to actually build him up as the biggest baddass around so Avengers 3 gets the villain it deserves.

If/when he raids Asgard he should have his amazing battle with Odin though and take Loki as his servant to replace Mephisto in the Gauntlet storyline.

J10

Banned
It's gonna be Odin and the armies of Asgard, the Nova Corps, the Defenders, the Guardians, the Avengers, all standing together.

And Thanos is just gonna be standing there across from them by himself like, "Is this it?"

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I cant believe that Warner is ao scared of Marvel, that they really moved a Movie featuring Superman AND Batman (Worlds two most famous superheroes!) away to not confront a Captain America movie.

If you had told me that years ago, I would have called you crazy.

I cant believe that Warner is ao scared of Marvel, that they really moved a Movie featuring Superman AND Batman (Worlds two most famous superheroes!) away to not confront a Captain America movie.

They moved it up so it had enough room to make as much money as possible. And March films can still make a shitload of money. Hunger Games released in March and made over $400m domestic.

Put a huge movie out that the public wants to see, and they will go see it no matter what month it comes out.

They moved it up so it had enough room to make as much money as possible. And March films can still make a shitload of money. Hunger Games released in March and made over $400m domestic.

Put a huge movie out that the public wants to see, and they will go see it no matter what month it comes out.

Plus, they know it's a spectacle.

Cramming that much shit into one film?

As much attention on it as possible.

It wasn't so much to avoid it out of fear that Cap would crush them. It would be pretty even if there were infinite theatres and IMAX screens.

They moved because it doesn't make sense to share screens with Marvel when BvS would make bank no matter what month it's released in. Cap would probably perform better where it is and Marvel didn't seem to have any intention of moving.

Quick

Banned
Warner's looking at the bigger picture of earning a ton of money versus splitting with Cap 3.

Not a matter of being scared, and just being smarter overall.

Cap actually had the most screen time of anyone in Avengers, 37:42 compared to Stark's 37:01.

As far as I know Cap is the leader, but the focus on Stark is going to have a lot to do with the fact that he creates Ultron and has to come to grips with the monster he created.

Brolin Talk Thanos: From IGN

http://m.ca.ign.com/articles/2014/0...h-brolin-loves-the-thanos-and-death-storyline

So it is officially known that Josh Brolin is portraying the Marvel Cinematic Universe's version of the Mad Titan, Thanos. Audiences got their first glimpse of Brolin as Thanos in the hit film, Guardians of the Galaxy. IGN recently interviewed the actor on the role, his thoughts on signing with Marvel, and what is in store for the wielder of the Infinity Gauntlet. Below are some highlights.

Brolin on how he was approached for the role: "First and foremost, I have a really good friend who I've known for years who's the co-president of Marvel, Louis D'Esposito. I knew Louis as a first AD, and he's the one who initially called me, and then [producer] Jeremy Latcham. Then I talked to Kevin Feige, ultimately. But there's something about them that's so insular and so geeky and so real. I loved it -- because I've turned down a lot of those types of movies. Not Marvel, but I've turned down a lot of those types of movies. When they started telling me the story about them getting together in Palm Springs, nine of them flipping burgers and talking about what Thanos was going to do and going, 'What do you think?' like, 'Captain America's going to show up here!' Then, 'Oh my God, what if the Hulk came in at that point?' and all that -- I love that sh**. I love it, because those guys are absolutely saturated with that world, and they love story. Another thing that I really loved is, they said that they didn't use directors that did music videos and all that in the past. They would always look for people who had done stories. If you look at James Gunn's oeuvre, he's done even web series, but they're all stories."

Brolin on Thanos' relationship with Lady Death: "His relationship with Death, who is actually the woman, I love that. You can take Sin City [in which Brolin plays a man obsessed with a dark-hearted woman] and pump it full of steroids, and then you have Thanos. I like that he's motivated by that -- not just motivated by destruction or death or this or that. He's motivated by a very identifiable, human trait."

Brolin on signing up for a multi-film arc with Thanos: "Having done different series and all that, it's like doing the best series you could ever do. You know you're taken care of, you know the manifestations are good, you these people are at the top of their game. I've been involved in series where I couldn't wait to play a character and watch the character go through this trajectory, and then you would say, 'Why would you do that?' Like, you're doing that based on a model of what you think people want. 'Oh, we need a love interest now. Oh, we need this.' This is already set up, and it's set up brilliantly. It's like, 'Okay, now how are you going to utilize it in a way that's within Avengers, within Guardians, within that?' I don't know if there's anybody better than them [Marvel Studios]. They understand it. They live it. I can tell you live it too, and it's that kind of a thing. It's like, I'm catching up to you guys, and I love the idea of catching up to somebody. When I first said yes, they sent me so much frickin' research. I was in the middle of doing Everest, and I was focusing more on Thanos than I was on Everest.

"You know, there are movies that I've done where I feel like I have a better understanding before I even started than the filmmakers do," Brolin continued. "And that's disconcerting because they're the filmmakers. They're like, 'Well, what do you want to do?' It's like,'What do you mean what do I want to do? What do you want me to do?' We can go back and forth with it, and maybe I'll have my two cents over here and they go, 'Oh my God, that would be great. Even though that's not really a part of Thanos, it would be a great addition to Thanos, to make him even more Thanos,' or bring even more humanity to Thanos -- whatever it is. So I'm in the learning stages that is really exciting. When I first said yes, they sent me so much frickin' research. I was in the middle of doing Everest, and I was focusing more on Thanos than I was on Everest. But it's an exciting prospect, truly."

Brolin on how Marvel never trained or lectured him on keeping things under wraps or using secrecy: "I think they just assume. Because they took so long to confirm that I was doing it, that's just the feeling you get. I heard Kevin [Feige] up on stage at Comic-Con -- because I was backstage listening to him -- and I was like, 'This motherf***er is so smart.' He's so good. He's so smart -- and what a great thing. You want to know what I know. What better than to be reaching out for it, because that makes you want it. We have so little of that left. I was talking to Paul Thomas Anderson about Inherent Vice, and they're saying the studio wants to show the publicists and all that, and he was like, 'No, not yet,' because it's like, 'What is it? I want to know what it is.' You want people reaching out for it... It's fun for me, honestly, to see, because I didn't know the severity of it. It's severe. It's a big deal. I was talking to Robert [Downey Jr.] about it 20 minutes before [the Comic Con panel]. We've known each other for a long time, but it was a different conversation. He was just like, 'This is a whole different universe.'"

Jonogunn

I like cap: tfa because I'm biased but it was too campy and over the top for me. The montage felt so out of place.

I watch a lot of ww2 movies so seeing it portrayed this way to me felt weird. I wish they treated it a bit more like a ww2 film and show the down times of the war (cap and the howling commandos sitting in a ditch with their uniforms tattered, eating rations and talking bout life). I wanna see the wear and tear war has on soldiers. Even though cap is a superhero he was still a soldier of war.

I loved Thor 1 and don't we why ppl hate it. The whole fish out of water thing is great and the jokes weren't forced in there and over the top like lost of the other mcu films.

eastx

That's a lot to paste out of the source article... The interview reads like somebody who doesn't understand something (comics and superhero movies) trying to praise them from the outside. The only real info to glint from it is that he read some comics to prepare, and that Thanos has something like 2-3 (?) more appearances to go.

Well, there's also confirmation that Thanos has the same motivation as the comics: to court Death.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Is Iron Man 3 any good at all? I didn't like the second one but I'm all hyped after seeing GotG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom