• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I just watched the Winter Soldier, and Fury said Stark helped with the repulsor engine. He didn't say anything about helping design the new helicarriers entirely.

Designing those helicarriers himself contradicts Iron Man 1 with Stark stopping weapons development for the government.

Even designing the repulsor engines means Stark had to have been aware of the program at some level. Giving his tech to SHIELD kinda seems like a big decision.

I dunno, it could fit within a theme of dodging responsibility. First he helps SHIELD improve their carrier fleet. SHIELD goes bad and betrays everyone. Next he arranges for more oversight and designs Iron Legion personally. That goes wrong as well. At that point it's like "if you're going to throw your power around, you need to be in the suit, not trying to stay hands off."

Showaddy

Actually, Age of Ultron starts off with Stark creating Ultron drones so he doesn't have to don the Iron Man suit.

Yeah but he still has to end up wearing a suit again. I mean holy fuck aliens just invaded, could he not foresee a situation where he'd need to be Iron Man again?

Quick

Banned
Even designing the repulsor engines means Stark had to have been aware of the program at some level. Giving his tech to SHIELD kinda seems like a big decision.

I dunno, it could fit within a theme of dodging responsibility. First he helps SHIELD improve their carrier fleet. SHIELD goes bad and betrays everyone. Next he arranges for more oversight and designs Iron Legion personally. That goes wrong as well. At that point it's like "if you're going to throw your power around, you need to be in the suit, not trying to stay hands off."

Project Insight was locked up tight. If Cap didn't have clearance, Stark probably didn't either. Or, he'd have some basic clearance that doesn't let him dig in further.

That being said, he may have just lent a hand by designing the repulsor engines in the new helicarriers, knowing only what he needed to know (replacing the old engines with his new ones).

The difference with Stark's use of the Iron Legion and Project Insight, in part, is that HYDRA/SHIELD wanted to eliminate threats before those people had the chance to develop into threats. Punishment before the crime. Ultron and the Iron Legion were made to oppose that idea, but eventually aligns itself to it.

adg1034

Project Insight was locked up tight. If Cap didn't have clearance, Stark probably didn't either. Or, he'd have some basic clearance that doesn't let him dig in further.

That being said, he may have just lent a hand by designing the repulsor engines in the new helicarriers, knowing only what he needed to know (replacing the old engines with his new ones).

The difference with Stark's use of the Iron Legion and Project Insight, in part, is that HYDRA/SHIELD wanted to eliminate threats before those people had the chance to develop into threats. Punishment before the crime. Ultron and the Iron Legion were made to oppose that idea, but eventually aligns itself to it.

I always took the Stark -> engines line as "He hated getting stuck in a mechanical engine in the first Avengers so he made sure to help SHIELD design a repulsor replacement."

Gartooth

With all the Netflix deals regarding MCU movies and original series like Daredevil, I'm kind of surprised that we have yet to know when Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. will show up.

I'm still waiting on it so I can power through season 1 due to the Winter Soldier twist supposedly making the show much better.

With all the Netflix deals regarding MCU movies and original series like Daredevil, I'm kind of surprised that we have yet to know when Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. will show up.

I'm still waiting on it so I can power through season 1 due to the Winter Soldier twist supposedly making the show much better.

Its on other countries netflix, I think mexicos (its in english)?. If you just want to power through you can try unblock-us's free week trial.

Could've sworn there were production photos from GotG involving 1980s SHIELD vans, but none of that made it into the film. I'm even more curious to see how they're going to explain the show's Kree corpse now.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Could've sworn there were production photos from GotG involving 1980s SHIELD vans, but none of that made it into the film. I'm even more curious to see how they're going to explain the show's Kree corpse now.
Did they maybe secretly film a one shot during the production of GotG?

Part of me worries that Marvel Studios won't allow them to explain it as planned precisely because that scene didn't make it into the final cut.

Part of me worries that Marvel Studios won't allow them to explain it as planned precisely because that scene didn't make it into the final cut.

If that scene got shot, Marvel still owns the footage. Nothing wrong with turning it into a one-shot and/or starting Season 2 off with it.

duckroll

A One-shot would be certainly interesting. It seems like a lot of the One-shots ended up being a bridge between Marvel films and Marvel TV anyway, so it would be fitting.

lawful

Banned
Am I crazy for thinking Ghost Rider could show up in a Doctor Strange series? I doubt they want to waste valuable movie slot time with yet another risky Ghost Rider solo film and I know he isn't exactly the same thing as Strange but I'm sure Mephisto and the likes would fit in with Dormammu and Shuma Gorath soooo...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Am I crazy for thinking Ghost Rider could show up in a Doctor Strange series? I doubt they want to waste valuable movie slot time with yet another risky Ghost Rider solo film and I know he isn't exactly the same thing as Strange but I'm sure Mephisto and the likes would fit in with Dormammu and Shuma Gorath soooo...
You know, I think a lot of these properties Marvel has left on their hands are in a weird place. Same goes for Punisher. They're trapped between expectations from recent films and potentially being subjugated in a universe that can become too bloated with a single wrong decision. Do they use these valuable properties just because they're valuable or is it okay to let them stay away from the silver screen and lose some heat?

I wouldn't know what to do. I would feel its strange that they don't get their shot in the MCU but ultimately they got a few shots already, and maybe a supporting role isn't what's best for those characters either because they'll look wasted.

lawful

Banned
You know, I think a lot of these properties Marvel has left on their hands are in a weird place. Same goes for Punisher. They're trapped between expectations from recent films and potentially being subjugated in a universe that can become too bloated with a single wrong decision. Do they use these valuable properties just because they're valuable or is it okay to let them stay away from the silver screen and lose some heat?

I wouldn't know what to do. I would feel its strange that they don't get their shot in the MCU but ultimately they got a few shots already, and maybe a supporting role isn't what's best for those characters either because they'll look wasted.

Solution: Keep "Knights" properties to it's own universe! Avengers style team up of Punisher, Blade, Ghost Rider maybe even The Sentry? All R-rated? I'd buy

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Not anytime soon. The movie is going to be an origin flick so it's going to focus on Baron Mordo as the villain, most likely. The sequel will probably be Dormammu.

shield

Figured this would be fun to post -

Was looking through the tweets that Kevin Feige has favourited and found this one

Nice to know that Feige and GAF have the same taste in actors!

Did they maybe secretly film a one shot during the production of GotG?
If that scene got shot, Marvel still owns the footage. Nothing wrong with turning it into a one-shot and/or starting Season 2 off with it.
A One-shot would be certainly interesting. It seems like a lot of the One-shots ended up being a bridge between Marvel films and Marvel TV anyway, so it would be fitting.

So assuming the scenes were shot, because I remember reading about SHIELD vans/suv's or whatever on the set of GotG too, what are you guys thinking it would be?

SHIELD showing up just after the abduction, plays cover up like the MIB and area 51. When Quill's dad never received his son, he sent a second crew to retrieve his son. SHIELD played cover up for this but were obviously late to the scene, so a younger Agent Fury and a small handful of trusted agents, able to track the UFO in orbit was ready and waiting for when that unique signature showed up again... and that's how they captured the Blue Skinned Alien at Ghost House and it's been under lock and key, completely undocumented ever since. That was the day Clearance Level 11 was created.

Attach that to the AoS S1 DVD/Bluray release and all of a sudden it's a mandatory purchase for MCU enthusiast, reason for everyone to go watch the movie and a great HYPE builder for season 2.

HooYaH

Does anyone here think that Avengers 3 will be THE battle of Thanos? I think the Avengers 3 movie will take place where Thanos receives the last gem on Earth at the end leading up to The Infinity Gauntlet trilogy.

Trilogy will consist of heroes getting together for a common goal ala LOTR.

Showaddy

Does anyone here think that Avengers 3 will be THE battle of Thanos? I think the Avengers 3 movie will take place where Thanos receives the last gem on Earth at the end leading up to The Infinity Gauntlet trilogy.

The Infinity Gauntlet is only 6 comics; no way it'll be able to support a Trilogy and there's like a dozen pages at best about the heroes getting together, the rest of it is Thanos monologuing and killing everyone.

The Infinity Gauntlet is only 6 comics; no way it'll be able to support a Trilogy and there's like a dozen pages at best about the heroes getting together, the rest of it is Thanos monologuing and killing everyone.

I hope they have the iconic scene with Captain America. I doubt it will be a trilogy but I wouldn't be surprised if he was a featured character in Avengers 3 and the movie focused on him retrieving the last gem.

I can't see them keeping all those actors for that many more movies, Chris Evans already wants to leave. I'd be very surprised if the Thanos arc wasn't resolved in Avengers 3.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Director James Gunn has been in Bangkok promoting the Guardians Of The Galaxy movie. While he was there he was asked about Star-Lord’s father. And as he has confirmed elsewhere, he told the crowd,
“I can say that the father in the movie is not exactly who he is in the comic books.”
But there was something that he’s saved for this Bangkok audience. He also was asked to clarify if Star-Lord’s father would be in Guardians Of The Galaxy 2? Gunn replied,
“He’ll… be showing up pretty soon”.

WHAT IF THEY MAKE HIS DAD THANOS

Darkmakaimura

It does worry me a bit how they're going to pull off this Thanos / Infinity Stones story arc.

Right now, the only other thing that concerns me regarding the MCU are those Netflix shows. For some reason, I don't see them as being all that good except maybe Jessica Jones, which ironically, is a character I never even heard of until recently. Not saying those shows won't be good, but I just got that feeling they're going to be kind of cheap and bad.

Showaddy

Right now, the only other thing that concerns me regarding the MCU are those Netflix shows. For some reason, I don't see them as being all that good except maybe Jessica Jones, which ironically, is a character I never even heard of until recently. Not saying those shows won't be good, but I just got that feeling they're going to be kind of cheap and bad.

As much as I want to be optimistic with these shows, Jeph Loeb is still calling the shots at the end of the day so I'm bracing myself for 100% undiluted shit.

Darkmakaimura

As much as I want to be optimistic with these shows, Jeph Loeb is still calling the shots at the end of the day so I'm bracing myself for 100% undiluted shit.
Marvel's been doing so good with MCU that even AOS improved over the season. I'd hope their priority would be to keep quality in mind but I'm having a hard time seeing it with the Netflix off-shoots. I'm a lot more optimistic with Agent Carter, although.

anaron

Katee Sackhoff confirms she's hasn't been cast as Captain Marvel in AoU

8EUTtrh.jpg

From Vulture

We know that the creatives at Marvel Studios love Katee Sackhoff, since Joss Whedon recently tweeted a picture of her Battlestar Galactica character as proof that a gender-flipped Thor could kick ass. The question, though, is whether Marvel might cast Sackhoff in a film … perhaps as the superheroine Ms. Marvel, who’s rumored to cameo in Whedon’s upcoming Avengers: Age of Ultron? Sackhoff has been stoking fan speculation with a series of Twitter clues about a mystery project she just shot, but when we caught up with her last night at the Kiehl’s Liferide 5th Anniversary Festival, she said the teased gig is “not necessarily a movie and not necessarily a superhero that you would think of,” then reiterated that aside from a get-together with comic-book legend Stan Lee, she hasn’t yet met the Marvel Studios brain trust. “As of this moment, I have not sat down with anybody from Marvel for any role specifically,” said Sackhoff. “But that doesn’t necessarily mean that something with Marvel is completely off the table for the future.” Even though she’s committed to the A&E series Longmire and has another big-screen gig coming up in November, Sackhoff would be happy to entertain any sort of superhero offer, from Thor to Ms. Marvel and beyond. "Any time I can play a strong female that’s a role model,” she said, “it’s a good day.”

J10

Banned
James Gunn has already said that he wants to add a female Guardian to the team for the sequel. Female Captain Marvel would make a lot of sense. Though, to me, it would make more sense for her to be a female version of Mar-Vell (meaning a Kree) than Carol Danvers.

/Tangent

Mantis, Phyla, and Moondragon would make more sense. Carol's an Avenger.

Tom_Cody

Again, I said a version of Captain Marvel in the vein of Mar-Vell (a Kree) and not Carol. The first film introduced the Kree race so it could make sense to have a Kree heroine.

And still she is in Bendis current Guardians of the Earth Rooster.

But I think, that they rather take another character than Carol, too.
This.

In terms of the MCU, Captain Marvel would seem to fit more naturally into GotG than The Avengers. I mean, she could just be a character in Guardians 2 given the Kree connection, whereas I have no idea how they would graft her into Avengers 3. Then again, we know very little of what Marvel has planned for Phase 3.

Regarding other alternative female additions, Phyla-Vell would be a good fit (as either Captain Marvel or Quasar).

I would think that Mantis would be a hard sell with green-skinned Gamora already being in the group. Same issue with Moondragon given that bald Nebula is likely to return. Moondragon is a personal favorite of mine though.

Gartooth

This. I doubt Gunn will consider adding any character to the team that isn't from the 1969 or 2008 variation of GotG. (Meaning Angela is probably a nope while Mantis has a good shot) Ms. Marvel is better served for an Avengers role anyway since that team consists of superheroes while GotG was focused more on space outlaws and adventurers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom