• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
So, time for that silly question but where do you think Asgard and the other realms are in relation to the MCU? Do those realms, with the obvious exception of the Earth, constitute another dimension or are separate dimensions. Or, are all those realms just planets lying in the same physical universe with the Earth and everything else? I see this question pop up a lot but it never seems we're ever given a clear enough answer. Some people believe Asgard, Svartalfheim, etc. are actually in another plane of existence while others say they're just simply planets in the same universe as Earth. We're talking MCU here as 616 makes it more clear of them being other planes.

iosefe

So, time for that silly question but where do you think Asgard and the other realms are in relation to the MCU? Do those realms, with the obvious exception of the Earth, constitute another dimension or are separate dimensions. Or, are all those realms just planets lying in the same physical universe with the Earth and everything else? I see this question pop up a lot but it never seems we're ever given a clear enough answer. Some people believe Asgard, Svartalfheim, etc. are actually in another plane of existence while others say they're just simply planets in the same universe as Earth. We're talking MCU here as 616 makes it more clear of them being other planes.

i would say same universe and the Bridge is just a wormhole

my evidence is the scene at the climax of TDW where Mjolnir is flying around trying to catch up to Thor as they pass through portals.

additionally, if Asgard wasn't in normal space, how could the elven Cap Ship reach asgard without the use of the Bridge?

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

in the comics they clearly are separate realms/dimensions all bound to the worlds tree, some of the "nine" realms are actually part of the other realms but in the case of "midgard" its basically our universe, asgard is the realm eternal, just like the greek pantheon has their mt olympus pocket realm, and the capt Britain and the celtic pantheons have their own realm and the nexus of realities etc etc. Micro-verse, Under verse, negative zone, marvel U is full of separate and parallel dimensions.

In the movies, even marvel doesnt know what they're doing with their space viking twist on Thor, shoulda went LotR/Willow/Bravehart/13th Warrior with Thor instead of....at this point its so much mish mash its not even on my radar i dont care, i just hope brunhilde and enchantress + skurge show up, and the more warriors 3 + sif + heimdall the better. I doubt Balder or Tyr will ever show up though they are core JiM characters.

The supposedly-canon Thor: TDW prequel comic portrayed Jotunheim, Nilbelheim, etc., as alien planets.

But it also had the Badoon in it, so who knows.

Darkmakaimura

i would say same universe and the Bridge is just a wormhole

my evidence is the scene at the climax of TDW where Mjolnir is flying around trying to catch up to Thor as they pass through portals.

additionally, if Asgard wasn't in normal space, how could the elven Cap Ship reach asgard without the use of the Bridge?
I've heard the hammer evidence also but that's not what makes me believe it's in the same universe. It was actually the original Thor where it seemed implied all of the realms are actually just distant worlds in our own universe.

in the comics they clearly are separate realms/dimensions all bound to the worlds tree, some of the "nine" realms are actually part of the other realms but in the case of "midgard" its basically our universe, asgard is the realm eternal, just like the greek pantheon has their mt olympus pocket realm, and the capt Britain and the celtic pantheons have their own realm and the nexus of realities etc etc. Micro-verse, Under verse, negative zone, marvel U is full of separate and parallel dimensions.

In the movies, even marvel doesnt know what they're doing with their space viking twist on Thor, shoulda went LotR/Willow/Bravehart/13th Warrior with Thor instead of....at this point its so much mish mash its not even on my radar i dont care, i just hope brunhilde and enchantress + skurge show up, and the more warriors 3 + sif + heimdall the better. I doubt Balder or Tyr will ever show up though they are core JiM characters.
Yeah, I know they're different dimensions in the 616 universe. However, I think MCU still is a bit afraid to mess around with the idea of different dimensions the same way they didn't want to say Asgardians and their Nine Realms counterparts use magic and made it more ambiguous.

The supposedly-canon Thor: TDW prequel comic portrayed Jotunheim, Nilbelheim, etc., as alien planets.

But it also had the Badoon in it, so who knows.
Good point about the prequel comics.

Even in the 616 universe couldn't the various dimensions just be different parts of the universe?
No, different dimensions in 616 is just that.... different planes of existence, in other words, different universes. They may not be infinite but they're separated.

danielcw

However, I think MCU still is a bit afraid to mess around with the idea of different dimensions the same way they didn't want to say Asgardians and their Nine Realms counterparts use magic and made it more ambiguous.

I don't think it is that ambiguous.
It looks like Asgardians are used to advanced science.
Lady Sif had no problem using SHIELD technology,
and Jane, a human scientist from Earth, seemed to be able to understand the concepts of Asgardian technology.

Jonogunn

I found it weird lady Sif knew how to use shields computers so easily. Sure it's a more primitive technology but it's obviously a different OS than anything they encounter on Asgard. It's like asking a little kid right now to use an old dos computer or something.

sol_bad

I found it weird lady Sif knew how to use shields computers so easily. Sure it's a more primitive technology but it's obviously a different OS than anything they encounter on Asgard. It's like asking a little kid right now to use an old dos computer or something.

Maybe she travels to Earth more than you think!

J10

Banned
That would say more about the interface than the person using it. iPhones are more advanced than DOS PCs but a child today would have an easier time with a smartphone touchscreen than command line prompts.

Darkmakaimura

I don't think it is that ambiguous.
It looks like Asgardians are used to advanced science.
Lady Sif had no problem using SHIELD technology,
and Jane, a human scientist from Earth, seemed to be able to understand the concepts of Asgardian technology.
There's been a few people who've debated that what they're using is full out technology, a kind of magi-tech or straight out magic. It's been said Jane is trying to make sense of things and people have pointed out that if it is technology, how can Odin simply 'enchant' Thor's hammer and how can Loki perform all those feats without the use of any object, i.e. when he was locked up inside the dungeon in Thor 2.

I don't have a real say either way but you have to admit there's scenes that are questionable. Plus, I've heard people pointing to that one deleted scene in Thor 2 where Thor's mother straight out uses the word 'magic', but that's a deleted scene so....

danielcw

how can Odin simply 'enchant' Thor's hammer and how can Loki perform all those feats without the use of any object, i.e. when he was locked up inside the dungeon in Thor 2.

Well, the simple answer would be: they are not humans. they are Asgardians and or Frost giants. (How will Scarlett Witch's and Quicksilver's powers be explained?)
I take their powers at face value.
But the few explantions we heard in the MCU point towards "science".
Maybe it is a combination of both.

Darkmakaimura

Well, the simple answer would be: they are not humans. they are Asgardians and or Frost giants. (How will Scarlett Witch's and Quicksilver's powers be explained?)
I take their powers at face value.
But the few explantions we heard in the MCU point towards "science".
Maybe it is a combination of both.
"Your ancestors called it magic... but you call it science. I come from a land where they are one and the same."

So we're never clearly told what exactly it is because to them, they're both "one and the same." It could very well be much like Mutants from X-Men but like you said, it's best described as a combination of both.

As for Scarlet Witch, we know very little yet but Elizabeth Olsen name drops 'magic' during the Comic Con Panel. Whether or not you want to take that as literal or just her not quite knowing what she's talking about, since she also uses the word 'mutant' which caused a bit of a stir.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
There's been a few people who've debated that what they're using is full out technology, a kind of magi-tech or straight out magic. It's been said Jane is trying to make sense of things and people have pointed out that if it is technology, how can Odin simply 'enchant' Thor's hammer and how can Loki perform all those feats without the use of any object, i.e. when he was locked up inside the dungeon in Thor 2.

I don't have a real say either way but you have to admit there's scenes that are questionable. Plus, I've heard people pointing to that one deleted scene in Thor 2 where Thor's mother straight out uses the word 'magic', but that's a deleted scene so....

uh yeah and how did Odin go into the odin sleep....and bring thor back to life in THor one once he had "become worthy" . They are cherry picking shit its dumb they need to go one or the other. But now after GoTG you dont need a super tech space viking race. Tons of advanced beyond belief tech is with the advanced civs like the kree.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I believe it was mentioned in some interview about writing Thor 2 that MCU Asgard is all technology, or at least Kirby-esque cosmic science. But the Asgardians have chosen, consciously, to style their civilization a certain way. They hide their science behind artifice because it's cultural, except when they absolutely must fall back on recognizable mechanisms. (Like defense canons kicking in when the palace is attacked.)

Generally I guess the idea is that they're very old, and lot of their science masters reality at a low level, though they're not Celestial level. Stuff like Thor's hammer is essentially a weapon that doesn't require a user interface. It's just a block of empowered matter, and has its own computer-like intelligence. It's Odin's empire. He's got root and can order his shit to do anything he wants.

There was that cute line in Agents of SHIELD where Sif noted Asgard once used "primitive" computer interfaces like the holotank in past ages.

Edit: FYI, Sif knows about tons of alien races like the Kree. As old as she is, one would assume she has been to plenty of worlds like Xandar. And is used to a variety of technology. I think her being able to use the Shield board so easily was just loose writing though, to illustrate the point.

Darkmakaimura

So how do the 9 realms connect with the rest of the cosmos? Where is knowhere and Xander in relation to them?
We don't know and probably never will. The Nine Realms are connected by Bifrost, which is the Einstein-Rosen Bridge that forms what they call Yggdrasil. But, they most likely all exist in the same universe. Xander, Knowhere, Morag, Kyln, etc. are all also out there somewhere in space, most likely in our galaxy.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Until it's ever clarified on-screen, I assume the "9 realms" are the worlds Asgard considers itself to have relations with. Asgard is in our galaxy and the same universe, as at the end of The Dark World the Aether was delivered to Knowhere by Asgardians.

But the Collector acted especially honored to see them, as if Asgardians don't leave their own realms too often anymore.

Darkmakaimura

Did anybody, who has has knowledge in astronomy, comment on the travel sequence or the endcredits of Thor?
I don't think it would help since we have not even the slightest clue where Asgard and the other realms are. They could be in the Milky Way galaxy or they could in a distant galaxy. Same goes for the locales in GotG although we can just assume it's in this galaxy by the title of the movie alone.

Quick

Banned
So how do the 9 realms connect with the rest of the cosmos? Where is knowhere and Xander in relation to them?

We don't know and probably never will. The Nine Realms are connected by Bifrost, which is the Einstein-Rosen Bridge that forms what they call Yggdrasil. But, they most likely all exist in the same universe. Xander, Knowhere, Morag, Kyln, etc. are all also out there somewhere in space, most likely in our galaxy.

Until it's ever clarified on-screen, I assume the "9 realms" are the worlds Asgard considers itself to have relations with. Asgard is in our galaxy and the same universe, as at the end of The Dark World the Aether was delivered to Knowhere by Asgardians.

But the Collector acted especially honored to see them, as if Asgardians don't leave their own realms too often anymore.

I don't think it would help since we have not even the slightest clue where Asgard and the other realms are. They could be in the Milky Way galaxy or they could in a distant galaxy. Same goes for the locales in GotG although we can just assume it's in this galaxy by the title of the movie alone.

According to the Marvel Wikia (comics) and MCU Wikia (movies), the Nine Realms/Worlds are in the Milky Way galaxy.

Thor's drawing:

Thor_drawing.png

It's safe to assume planets, though Asgard doesn't fit the traditional description of one.

duckroll

I guess it depends on how you look at the drawing. Are those planets in real space? Or does each one simply indicate a dimensional portal in a meta-space of sorts? They'll probably never really explain it because it's really WhoCares(TM) level of detail in a comic book story. If they ever do want to retcon anything, they could just say that Thor was a bad student and didn't know what he was explaining anyway. He doesn't strike me as someone who would pay attention to science at school! :p

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I guess it depends on how you look at the drawing. Are those planets in real space? Or does each one simply indicate a dimensional portal in a meta-space of sorts? They'll probably never really explain it because it's really WhoCares(TM) level of detail in a comic book story. If they ever do want to retcon anything, they could just say that Thor was a bad student and didn't know what he was explaining anyway. He doesn't strike me as someone who would pay attention to science at school! :p

My first thought was that they look like the dimension holes in Thor 2...

According to various Wikis, I believe in the MCU, the "9 Realms" are all part of our universe connected by Yggdrasil and likely specific planets.

In the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Yggdrasil is adapted as a constellation linking the Nine Realms through a cosmic channel. Thor insists that humans are unaware of the cosmos despite glimpses of the tree's branches appearing through the Hubble telescope's images. Yggdrasil first appeared in the 2011 film Thor and is mentioned by the Red Skull in Captain America: The First Avenger.
Yggdrasil (also known as the Tree of the World, the Guardian of Wisdom and the Guardian of Fate) was a tree-like network of galactic matter connecting the Nine Realms of the Milky Way together.

Through Yggdrasil, travel between the different realms of the galaxy was possible, with the most common example of this being the Bifrost Bridge of Asgard.

Not that either of these wikis are official, but I think with the evidence we've been presented so far (Thor's drawing + the fact that every time we've seen a named Realm, they've been a specific planet) they're probably planets. Though I guess it's possible that they are just areas of space in the galaxy (Has Thor ever mentioned any other planet in our solar system?). I think the Convergence sort of confuses people on this a bit in making them look like dimensions, but the Convergence is literally creating portals to these different areas showing close enough shots of land through them that you can see structures (as opposed to some far off shot of space). In other words, the portals are a specific part of the Convergence, and not meant to be physical representations of each Realm.

EDIT: Despite that second wiki, I don't think all 9 Realms are in the Milky Way. I think it's part of a larger nebula.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
According to the Marvel Wikia (comics) and MCU Wikia (movies), the Nine Realms/Worlds are in the Milky Way galaxy.

Thor's drawing:

Thor_drawing.png

It's safe to assume planets, though Asgard doesn't fit the traditional description of one.

wellllll isnt that a drawing of yggdrasil it wouldn't matter if different parts of yggdrasil were in different dimensions it connects the 9 realms. But honestly "realm" meant varying levels of being, some were just lands with borders/kingdoms, planets/planetoids, and then actually parallel dimensions. In the movies it seems there are 9 planets. In the comics i think some of the realms were kingdoms like where the elves and dwarves lived and even the "kingdom of asgard" which was on asgard. Then Hela's "realm" of the dead or Muspelheim were the fire demons were and got banished to.

Pachimari

So after having watched Guardians of the Galaxy I started collecting the superhero comic movies and I have these right now:

H0Iviyy.jpg

What am I missing?:

Movies

The Batman Movie
Batman
Batman Returns
Batman Forever
Batman & Robin
Catwoman

Superman
Superman 2
Superman 3
Superman 4

The Punisher (1989)
The Punisher
The Punisher: Warzone

Daredevil
Elektra

Hulk (2003)

Green Lantern

Fantastic Four: The Silver Surfer

The Wolverine

Constantine

TV Shows

Smallville (s1)
Arrow (s1)
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (s1)

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Yes they are, of the same name.

Super was directed by James Gunn btw.

Darkmakaimura

Okay, some after credits scenes I don't get:

1) First this one at the end of Thor that has Loki appear in the mirror seeming in control of Dr. Selvig. How is this happening if Loki fell into "space"? Oh, I should also note Selvig mentions "gate to another dimension" referring to the wormhole, but that may be ignorance.

2) Second, the end credits scene in Iron Man 2 that has Coulson finding the hammer in the crater. Why is Mjolnir there before Thor has ever touched down on Earth?

eastx

Okay, some after credits scenes I don't get:

1) First this one at the end of Thor that has Loki appear in the mirror seeming in control of Dr. Selvig. How is this happening if Loki fell into "space"? Oh, I should also note Selvig mentions "gate to another dimension" referring to the wormhole, but that may be ignorance.

2) Second, the end credits scene in Iron Man 2 that has Coulson finding the hammer in the crater. Why is Mjolnir there before Thor has ever touched down on Earth?

Haven't you seen Avengers and Thor? Both movies explain the context for those scenes, which are of course teasers for said movies.

Darkmakaimura

Haven't you seen Avengers and Thor? Both movies explain the context for those scenes, which are of course teasers for said movies.
I've seen Avengers twice but Thor once so maybe I don't remember. Refresh my memory. It's especially the Loki thing that I don't remember. How was he able to appear beside Selvig and control him like that when at that time he was lost in space?

Edit: Okay, Coulson found the hammer after Thor had landed on Earth when Jane found him. So the end credits scene in IM2 don't actually take place before those events which is why I was confused. They end credits scene in IM2 take place after Thor was banished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom