• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
This. I doubt Gunn will consider adding any character to the team that isn't from the 1969 or 2008 variation of GotG. (Meaning Angela is probably a nope while Mantis has a good shot) Ms. Marvel is better served for an Avengers role anyway since that team consists of superheroes while GotG was focused more on space outlaws and adventurers.

I prefer Mantis.

So it's still up in the air regarding who is actually playing Dr. Strange? I see Benedict Cumberbatch mentioned but I thought they were eyeing Joachim Phoenix now?

Cumberbatch confirmed that he had talks with Marvel but it may have not worked out. Phoenix was only a rumour but a very strong one that picked up traction right before Comic-Com.

Feige said they were trying to get all their contracts signed so they could make announcements for SDCC, so if Phoenix was actually in serious talks to play the role, they either fell through right before SDCC or they didn't get the paperwork signed in time so they are waiting for another chance to make the announcement.

Tom_Cody

Cumberbatch confirmed that he had talks with Marvel but it may have not worked out. Phoenix was only a rumour but a very strong one that picked up traction right before Comic-Com.

Feige said they were trying to get all their contracts signed so they could make announcements for SDCC, so if Phoenix was actually in serious talks to play the role, they either fell through right before SDCC or they didn't get the paperwork signed in time so they are waiting for another chance to make the announcement.
This sounds about right.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?

So it's still "up in the air" as of now, I take it. I'm really anxious to know who they're going to choose. Dr. Strange is probably my all-time favorite comic book character and has been since I was a kid. I've been begging for a Strange movie for decades and I'm finally going to get one. Very, very much hoping it is done with the love and care Avengers and GotG were given.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Does anybody of you still got the The Avengers Iron Man brings the Party to you gif? The one were the Chitauri "Ship" comes dressed for a birthday party?

Darkmakaimura

Does anybody of you still got the The Avengers Iron Man brings the Party to you gif? The one were the Chitauri "Ship" comes dressed for a birthday party?
L8Hjq4c.gif

I kid.

Nobody wants Cumberbatch as Strange. Thankfully it looks like it's not going to happen.
Who're the favourites at the moment? I'm quite indifferent as to who will play him, I really trust Marvel enough by this point. I even doubted them with Pratt, Cooper and Bautista but since then I've learnt that they know what they're doing better than I do.

Ponn

Banned
Mantis, Phyla, and Moondragon would make more sense. Carol's an Avenger.

*fistbump* Phyla-vell and Moondragon would bring so much awesomeness to the movie and throw so many christian groups into fits of rage at the same time. They have to give Phyla the Quantum Bands though so we can hear at least once on the big screen the word "Quasar"

Darkmakaimura

Finally saw Winter Soldier.

Not probably enough to say to make an LTTP thread, but my opinion is far from everyone else's in that I enjoyed the first Cap a lot more. I think this was too brooding, dark and "real" for my tastes when it comes to Captain America. I loved the first one in that it felt pulpy - a lot like Indiana Jones meets a superhero movie. I would have to say that Cap 2 is certainly not even in my top 5 MCU movies, which I guess may surprise some considering how many people loved it. It wasn't a bad movie, just not one of the better MCU flicks imo. I hope that doesn't make me a bad person. :(

Not probably enough to say to make an LTTP thread, but my opinion is far from everyone else's in that I enjoyed the first Cap a lot more. I think this was too brooding, dark and "real" for my tastes when it comes to Captain America. I loved the first one in that it felt pulpy - a lot like Indiana Jones meets a superhero movie. I would have to say that Cap 2 is certainly not even in my top 5 MCU movies, which I guess may surprise some considering how many people loved it. It wasn't a bad movie, just not one of the better MCU flicks imo. I hope that doesn't make me a bad person. :(

It does and you should feel bad. :p

Dai101

Banned

You sir are literally WORSE THAN HITLER

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Devin Faraci from Badass Digest has a scoop on Doctor Strange (skip to the 52 minute mark):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fqIi3o5S2k

"So, for Dr. Strange they've had a script in-house forever. It is a pretty standard origin story for Doctor Strange. It's got Baron Mordo as the bad guy. That's all gone. Marvel's new thing is no more origin stories. So, Dr. Strange movie no longer has an origin. It begins in medias res. It has Dr. Strange already established as the Sorcerer Supreme. It is a totally new script. Jon Spaihts is working totally new, On his own, without any of the previous stuff. Not even touching the previous script." - Devin Faraci

Darkmakaimura

Devin Faraci from Badass Digest has a scoop on Doctor Strange (skip to the 52 minute mark):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fqIi3o5S2k
Damn, I want an origin story for Strange. Oh man. I guess that makes some sense as they
name dropped Stephen Strange as a threat to HYDRA
in Winter Soldier. Still....

Please lovely people Marvel/Disney, do not mess up my favorite comic book character of all time!

BLACKLAC

What Feige said contradicts this though.
http://screencrush.com/doctor-strange-comic-con/

It is a classic Marvel origin story, because he’s got one of the best origins ever, and it’s our opportunity to take that left turn into the supernatural. Now what is the definition of ‘supernatural’? It varies. We like the idea of playing with alternate dimensions, and Strange, in the very sort of Ditko, crazy acid-trip way of traveling through dimensions and traveling through realms, is something that we think is very, very cool — playing with perceptions of reality.

anaron

Hmm...I'm mixed on Strange's film being in medias res because his origin is great and all but I'm sick of origin films and I like that Marvel is apparently wanting to do away with that...

Darkmakaimura

You are cold on both Iron Man 3 and Winter Soldier? Which MCU movies do you put at the top?
Guardians of the Galaxy is my favorite MCU movie and one of my favorite movies ever.

So far, my favorites, in order are:

1. Guardians of the Galaxy
2. The Avengers
3. Captain America: The First Avenger
4. Thor

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
If they do a Dr. Strange movie in media res then I expect it'll be something like the first Hellboy movie where we follow some fish out of water character who gets sucked into one of Strange's adventures.

eastx

If they do a Dr. Strange movie in media res then I expect it'll be something like the first Hellboy movie where we follow some fish out of water character who gets sucked into one of Strange's adventures.

Man, I'd much rather see his origin. I hope Devin is wrong on this.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I dont think that this will work with Strange...beside Wong, there is nobody who could follow Strange through a mystical story... Strange has no Sidekick...

Darkmakaimura

I dont think that this will work with Strange...beside Wong, there is nobody who could follow Strange through a mystical story... Strange has no Sidekick...
He has Clea, but she's more of a love interest. There's also that big green minotaur whose name I can't remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom