• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT3| 80.8 % Certified Fresh

Cth

Is he tired, pouty, constipated in that pic? All three?

My friend's take on Black Bolt:

"The dude playing Black Bolt on TV always looks like someone just told him the repairs on his car are going to cost a lot more than the estimate."

Pachimari

At this point I almost want Marvel Studios to distance themselves from Marvel TV and come out and say they are no longer connected. Then later on cast their own Daredevil, Iron Fist, Punisher and stuff for the movies.

I almost rather this, than the tv heroes crossing over to the films.

SpaceWolf

Banned
At this point I almost want Marvel Studios to distance themselves from Marvel TV and come out and say they are no longer connected. Then later on cast their own Daredevil, Iron Fist, Punisher and stuff for the movies.

You are now my mortal enemy, Pachimari.

You are now my mortal enemy, Pachimari.
In all honesty, Daredevil and Punisher are the only Netflix characters I actually care about showing up in the movies and that probably isn't ever happening.

Iron Fist is crap, Jessica Jones is at the point where I'm like "eh" and the same goes for Luke Cage, even though I really enjoyed the first half of his show.

I mean, I've always kind of been under the impression that the canonicity of the TV shows is tenuous at best. Especially given that Marvel Studios is more of a Disney Pictures division than a Marvel Entertainment division at this point. Does Feige have any input on the TV stuff anymore?

SpaceWolf

Banned
In all honesty, Daredevil and Punisher are the only Netflix characters I actually care about showing up in the movies and that probably isn't ever happening.

Iron Fist is crap, Jessica Jones is at the point where I'm like "eh" and the same goes for Luke Cage, even though I really enjoyed the first half of his show.

I really like Krysten Ritter's take on Jessica Jones and I enjoy Mike Colter's Luke Cage, even if both their shows had slightly rocky first seasons, if in completely different ways.

Although, I'm sure Finn Jones is a lovely guy...I admit I wouldn't be particularity sad if we never saw his Danny Rand again.

I mean, I've always kind of been under the impression that the canonicity of the TV shows is tenuous at best. Especially given that Marvel Studios is more of a Disney Pictures division than a Marvel Entertainment division at this point. Does Feige have any input on the TV stuff anymore?

Did he ever? It was my impression they're basically being run as completely separate companies which basically refuse to liaise with each other.

Pachimari

I mean, I would love to see these characters cross over. It's just that I've given up on the idea long ago. And now Marvel TV is basically ruining Iron Fist and Inhumans, some of my most favorite properties which sucks. I would love for Daredevil to cross over to the movies but yeah, to me it seems more likely Marvel Studios casting their own.

Did he ever? It was my impression they're basically being run as completely separate companies which basically refuse to liaise with each other.

I think they are now, but back when he answered to Ike and the creative committee, I thought there was at least some level of collaboration between the TV and Film teams.

I really like Krysten Ritter's take on Jessica Jones and I enjoy Mike Colter's Luke Cage, even if both their shows had slightly rocky first seasons, if in completely different ways.

Although, I'm sure Finn Jones is a lovely guy...I admit I wouldn't be particularity sad if we never saw his Danny Rand again.
I think the quality of the shows so far have slightly soured me on these versions of the characters.

But, generally, I think I agree with Pachimari. With Iron Fist and Inhumans, Marvel TV is getting fucked up pretty quickly. It would be better if they're just straight up not MCU. Shit, they don't even feel all that connected from the Netflix side either with all the vague references.

jph139

There is no "Marvel TV" really. Like there's Marvel Netflix and Marvel Freeform and Marvel ABC but I don't expect to see any more than winks or nods between them. Like for real, I don't think Ghost Rider in the Defenders is any more likely than Like Cage in the Avengers.

Which is good and bad, because even at the worst, shit like Inhumans won't pollute any more than one small corner of the universe. It's all quarantined.

It's only going to get more fractured as we expand to more series and networks. They all need to be treated like isolated spin-offs from the movie timeline because, at the end of the day, that's what they are. It's trickle-down continuity.

Pachimari

There is no "Marvel TV" really. Like there's Marvel Netflix and Marvel Freeform and Marvel ABC but I don't expect to see any more than winks or nods between them.
Nobody in here's talking about Marvel TV as "Marvel TV". It's just a way of talking about all of the Marvel shows on TV and streaming services. But yes, you are right that they are contained on each their channel and corner so to speak.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

He never did. Feige was only a producer on Agent Carter. There used to be lip service about the movies and TV shows being in a single universe ("It's all connected"). But ever since the Kevin Feige/Ike Perlmutter spat and Marvel Studios leaving Marvel Entertainment for Walt Disney Studios, it looks like the films will disregard the shows altogether. It will be interesting to see how they handle SHIELD and Nick Fury in Infinity War.

SpaceWolf

Banned
You guys are probably right. My love of Charlie Cox's Matt Murdock is probably blinding me to the reality of the situation.

I'll never let go, Charlie!

lX4MCnw.gif

jph139

Nobody in here's talking about Marvel TV as "Marvel TV". It's just a way of talking about all of the Marvel shows on TV and streaming services. But yes, you are right that they are contained on each their channel and corner so to speak.

I'm not sure I understand the distinction? I don't think you can talk about "all of the Marvel shows on TV and streaming services" in the same way.

Like, Inhumans and Punisher and Runaways are all as far removed from each other as they are from the movies. Creatively and politically, I'd say.

Pachimari

When I for example say "I don't believe Marvel TV will cross over to the MCU movies," it's just a way of saying that "I don't believe any of the characters on Netflix, ABC, Freeform etc. will cross over." We know there isn't a "Marvel TV" per se, and that they are all distinct from each other living in each their corner of the MCU. So as you say yourself, Ghost Rider won't cross over from ABC into Netflix either, or Squirrel Girl from Freeform to ABC's Inhumans.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Spider-Man is great again.

God, I almost cried becaue I was so happy to see all this stuff unfold. Fucking Vulture, what an great foe.

I mean, Homecoming rather elegantly took a dump on the idea that any Marvel TV that isn't Agent Carter is canon to the films or will ever be necessary viewing.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
How so? I haven't watched enough of the TV stuff and am curious haha.
Because Tony said that there is no one doing Streerlevel.

The german dub of Iron Fist makes now even more sense with the mention of Spider-Man and the absence of Stark Tower im the TV stuff
Netflix Marvel starts after Homecoming

jph139

Because Tony said that there is no one doing Streerlevel.

The german dub of Iron Fist makes now even more sense with the mention of Spider-Man and the absence of Stark Tower im the TV stuff
Netflix Marvel starts after Homecoming

Doesn't really add up, since the first season of Daredevil mentions that it's been roughly 2 years since Avengers. Which we assumed would place it during Fall 2014 but would now have to be... Fall 2010?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Doesn't really add up, since the first season of Daredevil mentions that it's been roughly 2 years since Avengers. Which we assumed would place it during Fall 2014 but would now have to be... Fall 2010?
Makes as much sense as Homecoming taking place 8 years after The Avengers

Pachimari

Dude, Spider-Man: Homecoming didn't fix the Netflix stuff. And the Netflix shows don't happen after Homecoming.

Also we assumed the Battle of New York happened in 2012, the year The Avengers released. And moving that incident back to fall 2010 makes other stuff not align up. No matter what we do, the "8 years after" in Spider-Man: Homecoming doesn't add up.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Dude, Spider-Man: Homecoming didn't fix the Netflix stuff. And the Netflix shows don't happen after Homecoming.

Also we assumed the Battle of New York happened in 2012, the year The Avengers released. And moving that incident back to fall 2010 makes other stuff not align up. No matter what we do, the "8 years after" in Spider-Man: Homecoming doesn't add up.
I'm just going to imagine the 8 years card says "4 years later" from now on (which places Homecoming in fall of 2016). That fixes everything except Donald Glover's characters age (which would be off by a year), but I'll allow it.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I'm just going to imagine the 8 years card says "4 years later" from now on (which places Homecoming in fall of 2016). That fixes everything except Donald Glover's characters age (which would be off by a year), but I'll allow it.

As previously mentioned, the 8 years thing is directly brought up by Toomes in the movie itself. There are a couple of lines that make mention of how The Battle of New York happened 8 years ago.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
As previously mentioned, the 8 years thing is directly brought up by Toomes in the movie itself. There are a couple of lines that make mention of how The Battle of New York happened 8 years ago.
Don't care. It's stupid and a mistake that fucks up the whole timeline. Lazy writers and continuity people should've never let that slide unless they were willing to clearly explain it to the fans. All the other movies time lines outweigh a single Spider-Man movie.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
What is Marvel planning to show at Comic Con?
Actual footage? Thor, Black Panther, and Avengers.
Maybe they'll have some more tidbits from Ant-man, but those other three movies are a pretty stacked deck for a presentation.

Well, it's a description of the look, not a confirmation of who the characters are. Could be the Hand. Any other non-real Marvel comics groups they could be?
Probably. Get Slayven in here.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
What is Marvel planning to show at Comic Con?
They're gonna get on stage at Hall H and one at a time, announce every single character in Infinity War and have them walk onto stage. It'll take 20 minutes and be fucking awesome. It'll end with Agent Coulson being the last one announced and the place goes nuts.

Pachimari

Black Panther aims to be the superhero version of The Godfather and 007

From Michonne to Marvel Comics: Danai Gurira brings fierce loyalty to Black Panther
"She is an extremely proud Wakandan," explains Gurira when asked about what we should expect from her here. "She’s very proud of her people, her country, and her heritage. She is a traditionalist. She is rooted in what is, what has been done, how we do things as Wakandans. How we have done things, and how that must be preserved. She is a lover and protector of her people and of the throne. To protect the throne, you are protecting the core institution of the nation, which allows it to thrive. She has a deep passion and connection to her country, to her people, and to the very special nature of who and what they are. Preserving that is something that is at the core of who she is."

How Black Panther solves the problem of M'Baku
The problem was self-evident. “Having a black character dress up as an ape, I think there’s a lot of racial implications that don’t sit well, if done wrong,” said Moore. “But the idea that they worship the gorilla gods is interesting because it’s a movie about the Black Panther who, himself, is a sort of deity in his own right.”

Angela Basett on her character Ramonda:
Angela Bassett, meanwhile, is Wakanda's queen mother, as vital to T'Challa and Shuri now as when they were children. "Her goal in the film is to help T’Challa become king of Wakanda in a peaceful transition of power, serving as a de facto advisor to the throne," executive producer Nate Moore says. "However, as things get complicated for our hero, she sets aside any political functions and instead operates as a mother whose sole concern is the physical well-being of both of her children."

Top Bottom