• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

Ken

Just hit 60. To be honest, the final levels still went by very fast despite this being my first character. I used the 50% experience pots you get whilst levelling up which was enough to get me from 51 to 60 in under 5 hours just by chaining legendaries.

Now to work out what the hell I do next, and how to gear star-lord for raiding...

i remember when there weren't legendary quests ;_;

Sblargh

Banned
Just hit 60. To be honest, the final levels still went by very fast despite this being my first character. I used the 50% experience pots you get whilst levelling up which was enough to get me from 51 to 60 in under 5 hours just by chaining legendaries.

Now to work out what the hell I do next, and how to gear star-lord for raiding...

Gear for raid usually is centered around odin marks; 300 for a legendary (and then leveling it) plus 4 blessings; each costing a 100. Plus whatever awesome loot you managed to grab your hands on.

I still think that Rank 3 legendary and 2 blessings makes you raid-ready; but a legendary should be your focus right now, imo. Don't know which one is good for Star-lord, tho.

Moondrop

Banned
I should probably wait until Jean's rework before grabbing a legendary for her yeah?
I just bought a legendary for my Jean last night. They're surprisingly cheap to recycle, so no worries there.

As to the stats changing pending her review, I'm expecting my non-Phoenix build will continue using mental damage and not energy. But if you're planning a hybrid, yeah I would wait.

Xevren

Gear for raid usually is centered around odin marks; 300 for a legendary (and then leveling it) plus 4 blessings; each costing a 100. Plus whatever awesome loot you managed to grab your hands on.

I still think that Rank 3 legendary and 2 blessings makes you raid-ready; but a legendary should be your focus right now, imo. Don't know which one is good for Star-lord, tho.

I went mkraan for star lord personally, works great.

Ken

I just bought a legendary for my Jean last night. They're surprisingly cheap to recycle, so no worries there.

As to the stats changing pending her review, I'm expecting my non-Phoenix build will continue using mental damage and not energy. But if you're planning a hybrid, yeah I would wait.

I'm not super sure what I want out of Jean yet since I just got her to 55 from 40 only yesterday, but she seems like a good hero for me so I'm thinking about investing resources into her.

Ah well, if the rework is soon I could probably just spend the time before then leveling other heroes for good synergies for Jean.

Moondrop

Banned
I'm not super sure what I want out of Jean yet since I just got her to 55 from 40 only yesterday, but she seems like a good hero for me so I'm thinking about investing resources into her.

Ah well, if the rework is soon I could probably just spend the time before then leveling other heroes for good synergies for Jean.
Right, I run a gimmicky build for canon flavor, not TTK. I'm certainly not recommending it for everyone.

But if you do end up going mental Jean, don't overlook the Loki synergy: +5% damage to slowed targets. Everyone on the screen will be slowed due to Psychic Lethargy.

Maledict

I bought Gungnir for my legendary based on what folks on the forums were saying, and the fact it looks like it will always be useful in some form or other. Am only at rank 1 though, and the exp curve looks insane. It seems odd that so much of the game pushes you towards playing alts, apart from legendaries which are very resolutely locked to one character and one character only.

In terms of gear, I'm just trying to unlock the blasted crafter so I can raise my unique gun to level 60. The rest of my gear are always uniques I've found (in the 50's) over the last couple of days. No idea what artifacts I should be using though, or where to get them from.

Do folks run cosmics in groups, or are they generally a solo affair?

KePoW

Banned
I bought Gungnir for my legendary based on what folks on the forums were saying, and the fact it looks like it will always be useful in some form or other. Am only at rank 1 though, and the exp curve looks insane. It seems odd that so much of the game pushes you towards playing alts, apart from legendaries which are very resolutely locked to one character and one character only.

In terms of gear, I'm just trying to unlock the blasted crafter so I can raise my unique gun to level 60. The rest of my gear are always uniques I've found (in the 50's) over the last couple of days. No idea what artifacts I should be using though, or where to get them from.

Do folks run cosmics in groups, or are they generally a solo affair?

totally up to you, whatever is most fun

and it doesn't take as long as you might think to level up a Legendary item, it's not too bad

Maledict

On a side note, can someone explain to my why everyone says Starlord's unique gun is based around the elemental tree?

It comes with the ability of "when your ammo is full, gain +X damage on burning targets for 5 seconds'. I'm not sure what this means - does it mean I have to have full ammo for the ability to work at all, or do I gain a 5 second buff when my ammo goes to full? If it's the latter then I can understand why it's an elemental weapon, but it's so badly worded I don't really have a clue.

I asked on the official forums, and didn't get a response.

KePoW

Banned
says the guy with multiple cosmic prestiged characters.

I was being serious on this for a change, lol

because I just bought a Legendary for mister fantastic 3 days ago as of tonight, and it's already rank 4.5

but I'm not sure if my Hero Synergy XP bonus of 200% affects that or not?

Ragnaroz

I think I bought maybe 2 or 3 blessings with odin marks. And I have about 20 atm. Trade trade trade. :D

KePoW

Banned
On a side note, can someone explain to my why everyone says Starlord's unique gun is based around the elemental tree?

It comes with the ability of "when your ammo is full, gain +X damage on burning targets for 5 seconds'. I'm not sure what this means - does it mean I have to have full ammo for the ability to work at all, or do I gain a 5 second buff when my ammo goes to full? If it's the latter then I can understand why it's an elemental weapon, but it's so badly worded I don't really have a clue.

which specific Power are you referring to? I don't recall

Blank!

This is slightly misleading I think, because what you really mean is already good level 60 raid gear + a rank 3 legendary + 2 blessings... because otherwise, there are way more pressing upgrades than a legendary/blessing for most people's DPS/etc.

4 odin blessings = 800 damage rating. Most people (myself included) could probably swap out a adv. Super Soldier Serum for a Danger AI and get nearly the same damage rating out of it. Even hela's don't mean shit unless you're already geared nicely with good crit rating/damage. And a rank 3 M'Kraan is effectively the same as a rank 1 excalibur in a raid.

I dunno, I think the better bench mark is can you fight/DPS for 10-15 minutes straight without running out of spirit? That's *way* more important. Finding a 25% medkit core/river of soul/etc. is miles more important than the # of blessings/legendaries. I'd put the ability to tank SOME damage next (bonus points for an invul core) because not dying is way more important than doing good damage by dying a lot.

Ken

I wish I knew how to answer you but I don't use his elemental tree for anything but the reload proc lol.

Maledict

So based on that suggestion (focus on gear first, then blessings) is there anything I should be doing in particular that's good for gear? I got into a pickup group that got to wave 26 of Xaviers which resulted in 4 uniques dropping plus artifacts plus cosmic items, but if haven't gotten near that since.

Or is it just doing dailies, shared quests and cosmic terminals and hoping?

I have a level 55 core with the medikit ability, but need to find one at 60 really. In terms of stat balance, at what crit rating does crit damage become better than plain damage? I've read 35% in some places, 45% elsewhere, and want to re-roll my costume stats to focus on the right stats.

P.s. That River of Souls runeword looks like it would solve my spirit problems all on it's own!

Early patch notes for this week.

Of note:
The event begins with a 24% boost to Experience, Rare Item Find and Special Item Find.

As each day of Operation Omega the buff grows by another 24% for all three bonuses.

This will grow the server-side bonuses each day to 48%, 72%, 96%, 120%, 144%, 160% and 184%.

These are multiplicative server-side bonuses and compliment bonuses from items, synergies, etc.

Sblargh

Banned
This is slightly misleading I think, because what you really mean is already good level 60 raid gear + a rank 3 legendary + 2 blessings... because otherwise, there are way more pressing upgrades than a legendary/blessing for most people's DPS/etc.

4 odin blessings = 800 damage rating. Most people (myself included) could probably swap out a adv. Super Soldier Serum for a Danger AI and get nearly the same damage rating out of it. Even hela's don't mean shit unless you're already geared nicely with good crit rating/damage. And a rank 3 M'Kraan is effectively the same as a rank 1 excalibur in a raid.

I dunno, I think the better bench mark is can you fight/DPS for 10-15 minutes straight without running out of spirit? That's *way* more important. Finding a 25% medkit core/river of soul/etc. is miles more important than the # of blessings/legendaries. I'd put the ability to tank SOME damage next (bonus points for an invul core) because not dying is way more important than doing good damage by dying a lot.

I agree with this. I'm mostly parrotting other people's benchmarks. I often trade DPS for sustainability/survivability myself. But it's a lot harder to recommend how to do it for someone with a fresh 60; I think the process of leveling the legendary and getting the marks lead to also finding better cores and gear.

But I totes agree with you. People build their characters based on hitting a test dummy for 20 seconds. That's insane.

Volimar

I've never even touched the test dummy...

But then I'm just picking up and using what works. My builds are probably all wrong for raids.

Yo, NeoGAF, here is the poll for this week's raid schedule.

http://doodle.com/ymn7fa4rpcuex3zg

Vote up if you're interested so we can decide the best time.

Wish you guys would raid later when I can make it. Maybe a later run over the weekend? It's not like all you guys aren't playing then anyway. I can't feasibly make it at the hours you have on there, except for the very end.

Star-Lord is my main and I'm running his unique, a leveled Mkraan Crystal, and blessed artifacts.

P.s. That River of Souls runeword looks like it would solve my spirit problems all on it's own!

There are basically two main gearing options under his current spec priority. One is to go the Gungnir/River of Souls route. I don't like it at all, since you're trading off survivability and a large spirit pool for a negligible gain in damage.

If you go with the Mkraan/Bowazon route, you end up with 200 more spirit, 1K more health, and almost identical damage output. Star-Lord has zero problems putting out the damage, but his inherent spirit sustain and squishiness are very real. River of Souls addresses the spirit problem somewhat, but you'll have to adjust other parts of your gear to address health and spirit. Going with Mkraan solves both issues, and allows you to focus almost exclusively on damage everywhere else. And Bowazon craps all over River of Souls, to be honest.

With my setup and a costume core that provides 400 life on hit, as well as the 25% health and 200 spirit on use, my build is insanely sustainable. Having over 700 spirit is amazing, particularly when you factor in the Mkraan kicks me back 80 automatically on a short cooldown.

We're only on green raids right now so survivability isn't the end all yet, but I think people are going to have to seriously reconsider priorities on him once reds go active.

Whichever option you go with, get the armor nodes in Arcane Attunement omega tree. Those become even more valuable when you have larger spirit pools like my build, but they're important to the character in general. Mine is only level two so far but I'm focusing all omega points into it. I'll have literally zero spirit problems with it maxed. All out damage, all the time.

Is there room in the GAF supergroup for someone that would play very sporadically? I tried to /who about a dozen names from the Google Doc in the first post but didn't have luck finding anyone online.

I'll be on for a bit right now so if someone is able to get me an invite or whatever let me know. My name in game is same as here: Wibblewozzer. Currently playing around with Scarlet Witch at level 4 or 5 and Hawkeye at level 3.

Dec

I'll test this if you want. Wondered this since release but never stuck with SL enough to care.

Edit: I can't actually. The only one I found was in the 40s on launch day and it seems I got rid of it. Haven't found a 60 one yet and don't feel like playing long enough to find one.

Test on the dummies. Record damage done with each step.

Load fire ammo, shoot one projectile of fire barrage to not be full ammo, wait 5 seconds, fire one shot of barrage to apply burning then use charged shot, if crit or brutal, repeat. Base damage.

Load fire ammo and immediately shoot one projectile of fire barrage to apply burning then use charged shot. If higher than base, the damage rating lasts 5 seconds even if you don't stay at max ammo.

Load fire ammo, wait 5 seconds then barrage one shot then charged shot. Tells if the buff reapplies itself every 5 seconds if you have full ammo still.

Should answer all your questions? Idk would like to try it but I can't.

Indignate

What's the minimal that one should have for a raid?

I haven't even touched blessings or costume affixes yet and wouldn't want to be a huge hindrance to the group.

inky

Is there room in the GAF supergroup for someone that would play very sporadically?

There's room for anyone and everyone. I see someone invited you already.

I should probably get rid of the google doc and just add a note in the top of the OP as it has outlived its usefulness (it was mostly used near release when the SGs were not active yet).

I haven't even touched blessings or costume affixes yet and wouldn't want to be a huge hindrance to the group.

The current train of thought is to have your character's uniques and appropriate legendary (most guys online say have it at least to level three). On the official forums, they'll add in blessings on appropriate artifacts, as well.

Personally, for green radius, I find that excessive. The closer you are to that point, the better, but I'd rather a good player who learns their class and knows how to avoid damage over a top geared player who doesn't.

Our group is more laid back in the requirements...I've joined them undergeared on alts and we still cleared several bosses. There are enough powerhouse characters in our gang to help carry a few folks along.

Do your best to prepare, but don't consider yourself barred from hoping in if your gear isn't perfect.

Sadly, some in game characters have a much rougher time doing well in a raid solely due to balancing issues, but I'm certain that every one of them has been involved in a full clear.

Varies character to character, but costume affixes are pretty mandatory (even for solo content like Cosmic Terminals), Blessings are a good idea (Hela, Fandral, Odin), but not really mandatory.

Really, the best judge of your character is the ability to solo Cosmic Terminals. If you can run Kurse consistently, you're definitely Green Raid ready.

Raids are a DPS game first and foremost, but you also need a balance of survivability. If you're not doing good damage to Raid bosses, you'll be holding the group back - similarly, if you're dying every 10 seconds, you're wasting valuable group-shared lives too.

I originally geared up Deadpool for Raids, but in his pre-52 review state, he's horrible as a single-target damage dealer, despite being virtually indestructible. My latest Iron Man build is a much better balance of damage and survivability and I feel much more useful in Green Raids.

Sblargh

Banned
Wish you guys would raid later when I can make it. Maybe a later run over the weekend? It's not like all you guys aren't playing then anyway. I can't feasibly make it at the hours you have on there, except for the very end.

You can invite people to raid at any time, this is just a way to be more certain that all 10 people will be from the SG; but nothing wrong with inviting whoever is available and pugging the rest.

My latest Iron Man build is a much better balance of damage and survivability and I feel much more useful in Green Raids.

An alternative bit of advice would be to pick one of the following characters as your main:
- Doctor Strange
- Silver Surfer
- Moon Knight
- Star-Lord
- Black Panther
- Iron Man
- Wolverine

No particular order there. The key being that the most recently released or recently reviewed characters are almost universally awesome.

That's not to say that other characters can't completely rock out in raids, but you can do zero wrong picking any of the above as your go-to. You will probably do even better than other characters with better gear, sadly. Doctor Strange, my previous main, is especially incredible. Insane damage, insane utility, insanely survivable.

You can invite people to raid at any time, this is just a way to be more certain that all 10 people will be from the SG; but nothing wrong with inviting whoever is available and pugging the rest.

I know, I just want to run with you guys. The majority of you guys seem to still be playing much later than the scheduled raid time based on my experience.

This is one of the very few times where being in Mountain Standard Time doesn't play out to my advantage. I get home right around your start time, but I spend the evening with my wife and son, eat dinner, and then get my boy to bed. You know, all those adult priorities. :)

By the time all that is wrapped up, you guys are either finishing up your raid or are done for the night. I'm not 100% certain how the lockout aspect works, but I'm guessing you wouldn't be able to participate again afterward. I haven't even considered pugging it outside of the super group, but I guess I'll have to look into that route.

Sblargh

Banned
OH MY GOD
MY
GOD

I
DON'T

GUYS

As another step to improve performance for players, Squirrel Girl's squirrels now hit for double damage, and the maximum number of squirrels that can be active at once has been halved.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Hmm my Emma has about 15k defense and 24k health. She can kill that boss dummy thing that everyone obsesses over (at least I think it's the right one) in maybe 20s or so. That's mainly because of my minion's haste aura though perhaps.

Would she be considered raid ready?

The only issue is she can be a bit spirit starved at times.

Hmm my Emma has about 15k defense and 24k health. She can kill that boss dummy thing that everyone obsesses over (at least I think it's the right one) in maybe 20s or so. That's mainly because of my minion's haste aura though perhaps.

Exactly why the dummy test is useless.

Raids need spirit sustainability. You are wailing on bosses solidly for like 10 minutes.

Sblargh

Banned

My Emma Frost has 13k health and I want to raid with her. :X
But she is a very unique character; I'm playing without diamond form, so I DoT the hell out of stuff and can run around whenever needed to dodge things without losing that much DPS; hell, I was thinking even that Emma Frost is good against surtur because I can stay behind the rocks the entire fight. Her life-draining thing has ridiculous range. (tho I'd have to test it).

Otoh, if you're using diamond form, you probably don't even need that much health if her self-healing passive is doing a good job.

My Emma is mainly diamond form.
Exactly why the dummy test is useless.

Raids need spirit sustainability. You are wailing on bosses solidly for like 10 minutes.
Hmm, I see. I tend to basically rotate between my basic, which seems to do reasonable damage, and spirit-spending attacks (diamond whirlwind for dot and crush which synergies with the bleed.)

Also is there any bias/preference in terms of range v. melee?

That thread in Gaming earlier today about there being no good Marvel games made me want to HULK SMASH. More people need to know about MH. There were a few who mentioned it in the thread.

KePoW

Banned
honestly I say bring anyone to our guild raids. it's not like it's one player soloing a raid, we're all part of a team and we can still beat some bosses even if a few people are new

Also is there any bias/preference in terms of range v. melee?

Naa, all the characters mentioned are in either/both camps.

That thread in Gaming earlier today about there being no good Marvel games made me want to HULK SMASH. More people need to know about MH. There were a few who mentioned it in the thread.

A lot of my mates still judge it based solely on launch quality too, ignoring the changes/additions in the last 12 months. Very disappointing.

Sblargh

Banned
I know, I just want to run with you guys. The majority of you guys seem to still be playing much later than the scheduled raid time based on my experience.

This is one of the very few times where being in Mountain Standard Time doesn't play out to my advantage. I get home right around your start time, but I spend the evening with my wife and son, eat dinner, and then get my boy to bed. You know, all those adult priorities. :)

By the time all that is wrapped up, you guys are either finishing up your raid or are done for the night. I'm not 100% certain how the lockout aspect works, but I'm guessing you wouldn't be able to participate again afterward. I haven't even considered pugging it outside of the super group, but I guess I'll have to look into that route.

There is no lockout to doing it; but you can only get the eyes once a week and each hero can also only get a lootsplosion once a week.

So I could raid with Captain America and then raid with Daredevil, for example, and it would make sense. The only question is if I would have to strenght to raid twice in a row. :p

Xevren

Naa, all the characters mentioned are in either/both camps.

A lot of my mates still judge it based solely on launch quality too, ignoring the changes/additions in the last 12 months. Very disappointing.

I have some friends like that too, sucks but whatever. Game sure has come a long way that's for sure.

Top Bottom