• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

Sblargh

Banned
If I have a slow day whenever this week, I'll try to organize a noob-friendly raid; people now aren't happy with someone being fully geared, they want to not have to explain the fights. It's not like most of the playerbase was new to this raid 2 weeks ago.

I don't know what's up with folks. It's cool to get a group and everything go smoothly, but if everyone has a shitty attitude, what's the point? People are getting stressed out and, like, the raid reseted a few hours ago, you still have 7 days to do this.

KePoW

Banned
This game is slightly frustrating with the huge number of systems in it and the lack of a decent wiki or guides out there. Guess it will make it more satisfying in the long run when I have it all figured out...

I've said this before several times in this thread, although not everyone agrees, but I don't think anyone needs to worry or stress about min-max'ing in this game.

In general this is such an easy casual game to play, that it's more fun to slowly figure things out.

I do agree with you that there are a bunch of systems/mechanics that are not explained. But I'm saying that none of those things are mandatory or gamebreakers to prevent a new person from playing the game. All the blessings or enchants or re-rolling costume affixes or etc, it doesn't matter much for a new player.

I own every single character in the game and had them at 60 for several months already, and 90% of them don't have blessings/enchants/ideal stats

KePoW

Banned
Ok, so I am thinking of starting with a new character. Will try to get my account deactivated, so that I can use the same e-mail.

Now my question. Which hero should I pick now? Is Hawkeye fun to play? Would really like a ranged hero.

I believe ur the guy who hates Captain America & Freedom?

Hawkeye is effective but kinda similar as far as not having "flashy" powers. I would honestly recommend someone else given your previous comments.

What's the current list of ranged starter heroes?

KePoW

Banned
Any whose, in terms of general upgrades - given I don't have endless time to play, what's my best options for getting those upgrades I need now? Daily shared quests, chain running cosmic terminals, Xavier defense?

Combination of all those things. Again my philosophy is don't sweat it and don't specifically try to run one thing over and over, that's the easiest way to burn out or get bored in ARPGs

You do enough X-DEF, Daily Quests, Cosmics, etc, and you will eventually get all your uniques.

Just to give you an example, I started to re-play Mister Fantastic last week (was at 60 but no notable gear whatsoever, just purples and lower level yellows). Within four days I had all of his uniques.

Don't try to think you'll get a unique every single run, and you'll just naturally get them over a week or so.

Drayco21

More glorious Richards <3

The teal coloring looks a bit odd though, his chest is a bit wide/big and the breastplate armor pieces a bit weird, other than that I'm happy!

And another one:

Breastplates look fine here for some reason.

Glorious Dick Rider. New She-Hulk looks great too, but it's all about the D. They better get Troy Baker to do the lines.

KePoW

Banned
Welp; people are already overgeared to hell for this raid, haha.

Pugged with one group, horrible jerk as leader, whatever. Killed twins in 6 minutes; Slag in 7 or so; Monolith is free; got to sisters, internet died. Ok, I was kind of fed up of someone being stressed out angry at everything in the world when we are on the way to a less-than-30-minutes run.

Reconnect, look for another pug, this one is even better; Twins in 5 minutes; Slag somewhere around that time, too; monolith free once more; sisters in 7 minutes and Surtur died before the portal team could kill the monolith.

So, two pugs, both runs smooth as smooth can be. Little fun, tho, felt more like going through the motions.

where do u find these raid pugs, through the Raid Finder Queue, or thru manual chat??

Maledict

I'd have to disagree I'm afraid. Admittedly, I am one of those people who really likes to understand systems and what stats mean (not really min-maxing, I just like to know stuff).

But as a new player, logging in for the first time is confusing as *hell*.

- what are these daily login rewards? What do they mean? What's the point of these items?
- how do I change character? Where's the character select screen after login?
- gods daredevil sucks, can I start again?
- what are all these vendors and what are the things they sell?
- what the heck are terminals?
- midtown defense, what's that?
- what's a brutal strike and how is it different to a crit?
- what the heck do all these numbers mean on these items!
- none of my skills say energy on them, why is that?
- what the hell is an omega point?

As an experienced gamer, marvel heroes is really overwhelming at the start and it doesn't need to be. It's a brilliant idea that's been well executed, but they need to learn from other games and strip out a lot of that stuff at the start. There's a reason world of Warcraft doesn't start you off in a capital city, but in a tiny outpost with limited options no matter what race / class you begin as. I know of several people who downloaded the game and played it for 10 minutes before giving up, and they haven't returned since - that's the sort of thing they need to work on.

That and having topless costumes for Starlord and Cyclops.

Maledict

Re raiding, my impression is that this game has taken the same approach as Secret World, which I think is a good thing. The raid was difficult at first, but as knowledge and gear improves has become something pick up groups do in 30 minutes once a week. I think that's really healthy for games like this, and they just need to avoid the temptation to go down the world of Warcraft route.

Unfortunately I'm on EU times so can't raid with most folks here, although if there's a euro timeslot going would definitely be interested. I've raid led in every online game I've ever played so hopefully someone else has already picked that up for us euro players... ;-)

WatTsu

Finished out the story and got my 100 Eternity Splinters (I thought I saw somewhere you got 200 for finishing it? Oh well). Now I'm not sure what to do next. I was farming Midtown for a while so I'm nearly level 40 and already overleveled for Heroic Mode story too.

I do have enough E-Splinters to get a random hero box, but I'm a little nervous to do so. My roster only has four heroes but knowing my luck I will absolutely get one of the ones I have. What do you guys think?

KePoW

Banned
I'd have to disagree I'm afraid. Admittedly, I am one of those people who really likes to understand systems and what stats mean (not really min-maxing, I just like to know stuff).

- what are these daily login rewards? What do they mean? What's the point of these items?

As an experienced gamer, marvel heroes is really overwhelming at the start and it doesn't need to be. It's a brilliant idea that's been well executed, but they need to learn from other games and strip out a lot of that stuff at the start. There's a reason world of Warcraft doesn't start you off in a capital city, but in a tiny outpost with limited options no matter what race / class you begin as. I know of several people who downloaded the game and played it for 10 minutes before giving up, and they haven't returned since - that's the sort of thing they need to work on.

I agreed with you that there is not much explanation.

I was just saying none of it is necessary to play the majority of content in the game. Anyone can do most Red Terms with zero blessings, enchants, runewords, omega points. You can certainly queue for X-DEF and Holo-Sim for fun without those things.

There's a reason for the non-explanations though, it's because the majority of mechanics were added (or changed) well after launch.

Also you definitely seem like a person who is much more meticulous and detail-oriented than the average casual gamer. Most people wouldn't care about all these specific details.

KePoW

Banned
Finished out the story and got my 100 Eternity Splinters (I thought I saw somewhere you got 200 for finishing it? Oh well). Now I'm not sure what to do next. I was farming Midtown for a while so I'm nearly level 40 and already overleveled for Heroic Mode story too.

I do have enough E-Splinters to get a random hero box, but I'm a little nervous to do so. My roster only has four heroes but knowing my luck I will absolutely get one of the ones I have. What do you guys think?

You get 100 for beating the Prologue in the beginning, and 100 for beating
Doom

As for what to do next, the easiest way to level to 60 is Legendary Quests so that's highly recommended. And you can do Heroic / Super-Heroic story at the same time (if you want).

As for random box, well..... I'm always in favor of getting them, but some GAFers think I'm evil

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
More glorious Richards <3

The teal coloring looks a bit odd though, his chest is a bit wide/big and the breastplate armor pieces a bit weird, other than that I'm happy!

And another one:

Breastplates look fine here for some reason.

Don't care about Nova but I need me that She-Hulk Team-up!

Maledict

Oh I am absolutely - I like to understand systems. And I do appreciate fully that people don't need to know all this stuff to play the game - that's sort of my point. By having it all there it invites questions and queries and confusion, and stripping it out won't cost the game anything.

It's not a theoretical concept though - like I said, I have had gamer friends who gave up on it way too early because they logged in, looked at the mess of windows and items and things going on and just couldn't be bothered to work through that. Less is more.

(And absolutely agree it's because of the way the game has developed and improved - they probably just need to allocate some resource to going back over this stuff and folding it into the game better. There no reason the Omega Point window should even exist for someone before 30, for example. In the long run it absolutely would help retaining new players in the game, I'm sure).

KePoW

Banned
(And absolutely agree it's because of the way the game has developed and improved - they probably just need to allocate some resource to going back over this stuff and folding it into the game better. There no reason the Omega Point window should even exist for someone before 30, for example. In the long run it absolutely would help retaining new players in the game, I'm sure).

Yeah this is most likely the case, they haven't had time/resources to making new tutorials or having it introduced in a new way. That's one of those low-priority things I would guess

GManDH

wtf broski...

u major hardcore!!!

hey are you even in our GAF build btw, wats ur game name?

I was going to 60 everyone by the end of the summer but there was no way unless i had bought 1000 boosts. i have been max lvling ppl for 2 months and have done 14 already. I am no longer in the guild, however i still put as much effort as possible on the forums and am willing to help whenever needed. I am in another guild that has someone from this forum in it as well though.

WatTsu

You get 100 for beating the Prologue in the beginning

I actually never did, but I think maybe it's because I beat the Prologue back when the game first came out in 2013. When I beat it again with Rocket I didn't get any either.

(Maybe I did and I don't remember it but I don't think I would forget it.)

Do you want answers to these questions?

EDIT: Moondrop went ahead and answered the questions. I guess I can see how things could be somewhat confusing, but the combination of being an experienced player and being here on GAF really should make the game pretty accessible.

KePoW

Banned
I actually never did, but I think maybe it's because I beat the Prologue back when the game first came out in 2013. When I beat it again with Rocket I didn't get any either.

(Maybe I did and I don't remember it but I don't think I would forget it.)

ah okay, if you played at launch there were no Splinters back then. you got a free extra hero instead, do you remember getting that??

KePoW

Banned

(also the Splinter rewards are only once per account. not per character)

Moondrop

Banned
Assuming you're not just criticizing (justifiably):
Bonus items for logging in. They have no meaning other than their purpose. The point is to encourage player retention by giving out valuable items.
Press T
No he doesn't. Sure, just start a new account.
Weapon vendors sell items for your first gear slot. Gear vendors sell items for slots 2-5. The crafter helps craft various items. Enchanter is for improving gear at high levels. Eternity Splinter vendor allows you to buy new characters. Yeah, there's a bunch.
Terminals are instanced single levels with a boss at the end.
This is a continuous multiplayer instance with lots of mobs and periodically spawning bosses.
It's essentially a double crit. A brutal strike does base damage of +300%, whereas a crit is +150%. This is in the tooltips.
Now you're just being silly. Every game requires time to learn its nomenclature.
Probably because that character's skills are not associated with energy manipulation, e.g. Daredevil. There are 3 damage types (I think): physical, energy, mental.
A unit within the omega system, another way to advance characters. Press V. Omega points drop as you gain experience, like leveling up.

inky

Do you want answers to these questions?

A lot of those questions have answers in the game I think. I mean, the game modes and areas have descriptions, there's a tutorial for vendors and donating mechanic and some things you need to figure out by yourself while playing, like, how valuable are the currencies.

There is also an extensive "HELP" panel in the options menu that deals with a lot of those issues. I mean, if you really are that lost in a game, one of the first things you should do is probably visit the Options to at least see the key bindings. That should tell you how to access a lot of stuff by itself.

Not saying the game does a great job of explaining many things, stats included, but things can be figured out if you spend five minutes reading the in-game documentation.

It still would be cool if they said, "hey, check out the help tab." Or had a toggle-on hint system like in WoW. I was confused even before they added the omega system / runewords / log-in bonuses. Now it's like second nature, but it's a sharp learning curve.

My Cable and body are ready for the raid tonight.

DrAg0nBoY

Ok guys, made a new account, will try Hawkeye. My IGN: Aphiel

If you somebody would be so nice to send me an invite again :) (BoyLate can be kicked).

With just 4 heroes, definitely get a random box with your splinters.

I have 20 out of 39 heroes and still sometimes get the random box.

I think my issue with the Mkraan legendary is that the images on the web don't have a spirit regen proc at level 5, hence it looked slightly useless to me. If it's different in game I'll probably convert the grungir over when I'm next on. Thanks very much for responding!

(Although how I'll ever actually get to rank 5 on a legendary is beyond me. That's like going from level 59 to 60 100 times...).

Yep, verify in game and you'll see what I'm talking about. By no means am I saying that Gung isn't a completely viable option for Star-Lord, since it's always a good default choice for just about every character. It's just that Star-Lord has significant health and spirit issues that Gung doesn't address, but Mkraan does.

Mkraan was buffed fairly recently which is why the screen captures you see online don't feature the changes. As far as getting it leveled to five, don't think about it. Just play the game and it will happen naturally. I played a great deal during a week off from work and it happened. I was admittedly rocking a great number of experience boosts, so your progress may differ significantly. The level five proc is massive in that it gives you strong spirit regen (and also dishes out 200K of extra free damage every 20 seconds, but LOL). You'll get there eventually and it will be a game changer, but even the initial 200 spirit gained is big.

And yes, the systems are confusing and overwhelming as hell. Apologies for my constant questions here and in game, but it's really not intuitive. Even basic stuff like terminals, and killing trash in cosmic terminals for bonus chests is *not* immediately obvious.

I took two long breaks from the game and was pretty overwhelmed when I returned. New features included: omega points, runewords, blessings, legendaries, character synergies, team ups, prestiging, relics, a raid mode, legendary quests, difficulty levels, the death of Limbo (RIP, haha), Midtown Madness, X-Defense, Holo Sim, weekly events, lots of new currencies, daily quests, etc. That's not even counting a ton of new characters that had been released in the interim.

It's basically an entirely new game. There's so many different systems to learn, and very little of it strikes me as intuitive to a new player. I don't think Gaz realizes the learning curve associated with the game, especially when most of their patches and game tuning seem to be based around making the game accessible and easy for new players. Hint: the game play is easy, the underlying systems are anything but.

Luckily, we have a good group of friendly people in the super group who are willing to help. We also have Kepow. Don't believe his lies about Metallica, soccer, or Thing.

Any whose, in terms of general upgrades - given I don't have endless time to play, what's my best options for getting those upgrades I need now? Daily shared quests, chain running cosmic terminals, Xavier defense?

There really isn't an optimal path towards upgrades. I'm running a crap top of RIF and SIF bonuses and still not always getting ideal drops. The best advice I can give you in terms of priorities with limited time would be:

1) Run the three daily quests if possible, since they give you demonfire eyes that will be useful to upgrade your items to raid tier levels in the future. They grant the same (but fewer) of these than running an actual raid, but you'll want them long-term. Once you buy a certain recipe, you can use it on all your different characters to upgrade their uniques from my understanding.

2) If you need Odin marks to purchase a legendary or blessings on your artifacts, run legendary quests. As many as you can stand. Notionally, any time you level up an alt (and you should, it's fun!) you will be running these from levels 20-60. In other words, you'll naturally accumulate large quantities of Odin marks. I have 7 x level 60 characters, which has allowed me to equip three different characters with legendaries, and my main with fully blessed artifacts. Legendary quests are the best way to get these.

3) If you are looking for specific uniques or artifacts, they are almost assuredly general drop items that you can get anywhere. I find X-Defense and Holo Sim good options, since you end up killing a metric ton of enemies and bosses, and that tends to give you plenty of chances for item drops. There are specific uniques and artifacts that only drop from specific bosses, so those you would have to purposefully farm.

4) Cosmic terminals. Personally, I don't find myself doing these all that often but they are certainly viable. If you want a specific item like GoK, then you have to farm Cosmic Kurse. The same holds true if you are looking for a particular medallion, since it will only drop off that particular boss. One area where cosmic terminals do shine is helping you better how you play as a character. If you are playing them solo, they tend to be of a similar challenge level than raid bosses. You can stand around and bang away on a cosmic boss; you have to move to avoid damage, adjust to boss mechanics, and manage resource sustainability. They are great training tools, if nothing else.

I hope that more and more ppl can do raids in less than 1hr that means i can do every hero in a week.

Are there even enough hours in the week, bro?

This is the only one that I have to respond to. What if I told you that Daredevil is one of the top ten characters in the in terms of sustained damage in a fight? He's the only character I'm currently prestiging. With the right combo build, he is basically spiritless and his damage is limited only by your gear and how much attack speed you have accumulated.

He puts out massive damage in a very quick fashion, and if you rotate in his Born Again finisher every 15 seconds, he's the only melee character that doesn't really have to move away from bosses in raids. You basically maintain 100% uptime on beating the stuffing out of a loot pinata boss.

I'll admit to being heavily biased as he is one of my two favorite Marvel characters, but post-review DD is the bee's knees. You should have seen him at launch when he actually was crappy. Now, he's a monster. Even the "authoritative" raid tier (LOL!) on the main game forums ranks him very well.

hey tra are u some kinda academic professor or something, u write like a genius

Baffle them with bullshit is what I always say!

Are you listening to St. Anger right now?

WatTsu

Well, I traded in for a random hero box and I got...

Rocket Raccoon, the hero I was already using.

Not even mad, just funny.

KePoW

Banned
My lifestyle determines my death style, bro.

But I think you prefer Load. Gimme fue, gimme fai, gimme dabajabazaaaa!

I do prefer Load. (but btw -- that thing you were telling me about the album cover, I found out you were completely making that up as usual)

in case you don't know, you can use that dupe token to upgrade your Ultimate level, so don't destroy it

This is the only one that I have to respond to. What if I told you that Daredevil is one of the top ten characters in the in terms of sustained damage in a fight? He's the only character I'm currently prestiging. With the right combo build, he is basically spiritless and his damage is limited only by your gear and how much attack speed you have accumulated.

He puts out massive damage in a very quick fashion, and if you rotate in his Born Again finisher every 15 seconds, he's the only melee character that doesn't really have to move away from bosses in raids. You basically maintain 100% uptime on beating the stuffing out of a loot pinata boss.

Do you have the build on Marvel Base by chance? Or can you go over the basics? I have DD but I have not played him seriously yet and he did go through changes.

WatTsu

I do prefer Load. (but btw -- that thing you were telling me about the album cover, I found out you were completely making that up as usual)

in case you don't know, you can use that dupe token to upgrade your Ultimate level, so don't destroy it

Oh I know. Not at Ultimate level yet but I'm gonna keep it. (I just thought it was pretty funny)

It still would be cool if they said, "hey, check out the help tab." Or had a toggle-on hint system like in WoW. I was confused even before they added the omega system / runewords / log-in bonuses. Now it's like second nature, but it's a sharp learning curve.

My Cable and body are ready for the raid tonight.

Do you really need to be prompted to look for help when you need help?

Nope. As usual, I'm 100% correct.

"The cover of the album is original artwork entitled "Semen and Blood III". It is one of three photographic studies by Andres Serrano created in 1990 by mingling bovine blood and the artist's own semen between two sheets of Plexiglas. The liner notes simply state "Cover art by Andres Serrano" rather than listing the actual title of the work. In a 2009 interview with Classic Rock magazine, Hetfield expressed his dislike of the album cover and its inspiration."
Original Art Work. Get with the times, bro.

Do you have the build on Marvel Base by chance? Or can you go over the basics? I have DD but I have not played him seriously yet and he did go through changes.

Fiendly's Endgame Combo Build. It's phenomenal. The one real decision point is whether to go with Rebounding Club or Spinning Hook Kick. I vastly prefer the latter and how it builds right into the combo system after using a five-point finisher. It also allows you to gear exclusively for melee/physical damage, since Rebounding Club is a range tagged ability. Either one works.

KePoW

Banned
Nope. As usual, I'm 100% correct.

"The cover of the album is original artwork entitled "Semen and Blood III". It is one of three photographic studies by Andres Serrano created in 1990 by mingling bovine blood and the artist's own semen between two sheets of Plexiglas. The liner notes simply state "Cover art by Andres Serrano" rather than listing the actual title of the work. In a 2009 interview with Classic Rock magazine, Hetfield expressed his dislike of the album cover and its inspiration."
Original Art Work. Get with the times, bro.

WTF that's gross bro !!!11

Ugh, that's awful luck for someone with just 4 heroes. I hate reading when that happens to new players. :(
They should rig the odds a bit so newer players don't get dupes. I've heard stories of people getting dupes of their only hero too many times. The odds of that are 1 in 39, or 2.5%. You had 4 so you had uhhh 35 out of 39 would have been a new hero so that %... uhh math ain't my thing. :-/ but basically you got robbed. Definitely go for another random box tho, unless you want a 200 splinter hero really bad, or just have someone you're dying to play then save up 400-600.

Top Bottom