• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

Yes, you can prime it. I've been a little scared to try priming before I actually join a bracket, but in about two hours my mission 9's points are going to pop back up and the enemies will still be level 40. They were 90ish when I finished my earlier run, but during lunch I did the retreat thing and got them down, even though all my missions were only worth 1 point at the time (I wasn't winning missions anyway).

You are my favorite person on Earth.

Gotchaye

I'm totally lost. Are you increasing the reward points by doing this?

I'm @ #1 in my event but there's still plenty of time for that to change. All my missions are returning 1 point right now.

Losing missions (retreating) seems to have no effect at all on mission point values. But it lowers the levels of enemies on all the missions.

The advantage isn't that it gets you more points (directly); it's that it lets you do missions faster and more easily. You get some gain out of rubber-banding doing this (because you can push your missions later in the session), but the main benefit is that you will always get all 9 missions done twice, no problems. You're never going to leave points on the table because a mission is too difficult.

Losing missions (retreating) seems to have no effect at all on mission point values. But it lowers the levels of enemies on all the missions.

The advantage isn't that it gets you more points (directly); it's that it lets you do missions faster and more easily. You get some gain out of rubber-banding doing this (because you can push your missions later in the session), but the main benefit is that you will always get all 9 missions done twice, no problems. You're never going to leave points on the table because a mission is too difficult.

lol oh my GOD dude I did it three times and now IX went from Jugs/Ares/Moonstone, all 230, to Jugs and two Muscles, all at 40.

I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS

XD

Gotchaye

lol oh my GOD dude I did it three times and now IX went from Jugs/Ares/Moonstone, all 230, to Jugs and two Muscles, all at 40.

I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS

XD

That's probably a bug, actually. The characters shouldn't change, and it shouldn't go down that fast. Edit: Like how sometimes on the second Hunt the missions would revert to what they were for the first Hunt with Modern Hawkeye rewards. Just a weird thing that happens sometimes.

That's probably a bug, actually. The characters shouldn't change, and it shouldn't go down that fast.

Yeah, I just noticed the prizes are also completely different.

Shit, and I just restarted. I really should have gotten that 96 while I could.

DAMN! Back to normal. Just checked.

EDIT: Yeah, did 8. Last mission is only lowered to like 177. :(

EDIT EDIT: Hooo boy yeah you gotta do these a LOT of times. Just clearing out my whole bench and see where it gets me….

WWWWWWELP. Ended up in 2nd (unless some ghost came out of nowhere in the end, 3rd place was like 50-60 away), but if I'd used the Gotchaye Method™ the whole time I'd have easily won it. He's totally right. It's an incredible approach.

To really make a dent, though, you have to do it ALOT and have a super deep bench to sacrifice to the Gods of Puzzle Quest. This new sub event, I just won't be able to compete that well because of the timing (not to mention maybe a whole new mission/subevent string when the Intel pops), so I don't really care, but this one was probably my best shot at a great finish, so I'm glad I got two Patchies.

THANK YOU GOTCHAYE.

hamchan

Overslept and woke up literally 10 minutes before the end of the sub event and I was only on 20 points. Good thing I tanked enough that my final mission was only level 40 guys.
Quickly tried to beat as many battles possible, still had to skip the one with bullseye and daken because I was really worried they would eat up my time with their animations.

Still ended up coming 5th in my bracket only playing 10 minutes of this. Thank you rubberbanding!

Also the new tourney looks very tempting but you'd have to be top 100 to make a profit on it and since this is unbracketed that means top 100 in the world. Maybe if I had more level 100 3 star teams I'd feel more confident. As of now though I really don't think I'll be top 100. Just seems like that the majority of people are going to lose HP entering this while the top guys clean up.

Each individual mission refreshes 8 hours from when you finish your first win of it.

I'm not sure that this is true on this event. I ended 1st playing only one mission yesterday, a couple of missions 12 hours ago and 15 missions on the last 2 hours of the event. If missions were resetting each 8 hours, i would have lost too many points to be first. I did most of the missions once, and the most expensive ones, 3 or 4 times.

Missions recharge over time, all of them, until they reach the top. And when you win a mission, all the missions lose a few points, and the mission that you won lose a lot of points. So, let the biggest mission to recharge, win it. Wait, check what is now the biggest mission, win it. Lose missions to lower the level of the enemies. When the event is going to finish (2 hours left), play missions, always the biggest one (always exiting and entering to get the score updated), without caring about how many times did you won each mission, until all the scores are 1.

I'm not sure that this is true on this event. I ended 1st playing only one mission yesterday, a couple of missions 12 hours ago and 15 missions on the last 2 hours of the event. If missions were resetting each 8 hours, i would have lost too many points to be first. I did most of the missions once, and the most expensive ones, 3 or 4 times.

Missions recharge over time, all of them, until they reach the top. And when you win a mission, all the missions lose a few points, and the mission that you won lose a lot of points. So, let the biggest mission to recharge, win it. Wait, check what is now the biggest mission, win it. Lose missions to lower the level of the enemies. When the event is going to finish (2 hours left), play missions, always the biggest one (always exiting and entering to get the score updated), without caring about how many times did you won each mission, until all the scores are 1.

I don't know, that sounds like regular rubber banding with three 8 hour cycles to me.

ToxicAdam

I was pretty much over Thor. It's the Wolverine nerf that will hurt me more.

Oh well. It's not that bad, the major nerf to his healing kind of surprised me.

Did that get fixed? Just retreated four times and any everyone is still level 143

I don't have the patience for it, but people are saying you need to retreat 5-10 times to see results.

Some have reported that you just routinely retreat after every win and it works just as well.

Gotchaye

I feel pretty good about moving to Patch now. His green is only a little more expensive and his yellow is much better.

I quite like the Thor changes. The yellow is a little crazy, and I'm tempted to bring him along with Patch, though I probably won't. My Thor is 5/4/3 and I have a green in storage. I guess the best build now is 3/5/5, but the yellow is more important so I'm not sure what to do.

shaowebb

iceIX said:
: Wolverine isn't a tank. That's Colossus or Thor's job.

O_O
I think he just let a new character slip...

Also for a moment I was "oh god no" with the Thor changes when I saw the massive damage changes to yellow and red. Especially red also yielding less AP. Then I noticed his yellow ability now generates MORE AP and his green has been buffed a pretty good amount in damage as an ability. So now rather than the act of battery-ing itself being a damage thing it is to feed a single other damage attack...not the cycle itself. Plus the ability to create so much green tells me of SEVERAL team changes.

Thor/Daken =BUFFED. More green means more strike tiles. You'll fill up and run out of red tiles quick though and I dont believe he can make tiles once they are gone.

Thor/Storm=SUPER BUFFED...her green lightning storm is the main battery tool in the game now and the second one now feeds it more than ever. Cascades for days off this team.

Thor/Hulk=BUFFED. Better battery for Hulk than ever.

Thor/Wolvie=NERFED. You yield more green but Wolverine's green is nerfed a good deal in damage output and the fact that Thor needs Red now to feed himself to fuel his yellow to be able to cast his green means that you wont generally get to use Adamantium Slash even though it got buffs at its price now. You'd be better off fueling Thor's yellow in hopes of nailing a green ability from Thor to hit everyone rather than fuel Adamantium slash. This means Thor-verine isn't really that great anymore as Wolverine is impeding Thor's cycle for lower yield IMO.

Thor/Patch=BUFFED. Patch is a beast and more green to this degree will get insane. Hello new Thor/verine

Thor/Ares=BUFFED. Green is gooooood to have on hand as Ares does 24 damage for each green your team has at higher levels and its not that costly since it only costs 5 green to do it. It drains the tank but Thor will make it hurt like hell pretty easily off a single Yellow ability.

My team will likely be some combination of Thor/Storm/Daken till I can run Thor/Patch/Storm

ToxicAdam

I still think there is good synergy with Wolvy/Thor.

Wolvy's red is now the superior damage dealer between the two and you need to make yellow matches to feed Wolvy's healing power.

If you max lvl Wolvy and keep Thor a few levels below him, Wolvy can even act as a tank for Thor (with the ability to heal).

shaowebb

I still think there is good synergy with Wolvy/Thor.

Wolvy's red is now the superior damage dealer between the two and you need to make yellow matches to feed Wolvy's healing power.

If you max lvl Wolvy and keep Thor a few levels below him, Wolvy can even act as a tank for Thor (with the ability to heal).

Wolvy has to lose half his health and then you have to pop yellow to heal him though. That changes what you can and cant expect out of his annual heal as a tank. Honestly I think Thor's green ability is so strong now that its the better damage option so I'd more than likely spend red on Thor's red in hopes of setting up his cycle quicker to net me into that green damage that covers their whole team in over 1000.

Im betting we some some crazy Thor/Storm teamups though now that he yield insano green. Her green ability pops a TON and him giving her 9 green on the board means that she will likely be ready the moment he does that. She can fuel HIM now. If anyone else can setup yellow tiles for Thor on a team that'd be your go to third to create an endless cascade team.

zulux21

the nerfs are a lots smaller than I expected... wolverine got a pretty good neuter, but thor on the other hand... those green tiles on that yellow move.... crazy you could get 9 of them.... I might have to level up daken to replace my wolverine now.

or just level up my patch and run with him :p

edit: it seems wolverine might get tiles at 3 ap instead of 5 now, just not listed properly as his line says he creates more faster but it was set to the same in the notes.

hamchan

So the goal was reached and it unlocked a bunch of new levels. Beat everything already, only lvl230 was a single Hood battle, everything else was under lvl 100.

So the goal was reached and it unlocked a bunch of new levels. Beat everything already, only lvl230 was a single Hood battle, everything else was under lvl 100.

I did the same, but now I'm regretting it because I got few points on the last missions. At least they're repeatable, so I'll wait until they grow their score, to repeat them.

I hoped that there was a DareDevil to get with the unlock, like the Hulk of the Hulk event... but no. I wonder if someone already got any DareDevil from random heroic cards...

shaowebb

They haven't nerfed Thor-verine yet and it makes the current event really easy since Wolverine is buffed. If you want an easy Daredevil DO NOT fight until the last hour or so. The hood is worth like 2000 then 1000 and most of the rest are worth 500 on the progression ladder. A quick pass through the tourney should put you well over 35 even if you skipped a few fights. Load up on yellow/red the all AP and on widow matches the blue/purple to insure you can deal with the ridiculous timer scams the matches have like in the lvl 230 maggia muscle+bullseye one and its cake. You'll net over 4000 on this in iso effortlessly.

Great event so far. High yields abound. Plus I even got off the 2 star progression reward token another red Magneto!

I can't stick with the tried and true Gotchaye Method™ anymore. It's super effective, of course, but I found that it really sucked the fun out of the game for me. It was all just following a list, gaming the system, etc. It works, but I just wasn't having as much fun. Playing matches I can beat, when I can beat them, getting what I can, it might not get me the super primo results, but it also doesn't feel like I'm chained to my iPad and not even having much fun when I'm doing it.

This morning, lol:

Standard Token - Punisher
Standard Token - Hulk
Heroic Token - Bullseye

You can't make this shit up.

If you want an easy Daredevil DO NOT fight until the last hour or so. The hood is worth like 2000 then 1000 and most of the rest are worth 500 on the progression ladder. A quick pass through the tourney should put you well over 35 even if you skipped a few fights. Load up on yellow/red the all AP and on widow matches the blue/purple to insure you can deal with the ridiculous timer scams the matches have like in the lvl 230 maggia muscle+bullseye one and its cake. You'll net over 4000 on this in iso effortlessly.

You're wrong.

I played though all the events once. Then, I waited until the hood was on 1000. I waited half an hour, and he remained at 1000, it seemed the new top. So I defeated again. And, because it was my second fight, he went back to 1.

Ok. Now, hours later, it's again at 919 (edit, now 935). So, probably is increasing over time up to 1000, each 8 hours. So, if you wait until the end, you'll get only 3000 points. I'll get 1000 points each 8 hours.

Also, i have 2 other events at 935, that I already played. So probably I can play more than one 1000 mission each 8 hours. If you wait until the end, you'll get less points. You'll be "un-using" the growing of the levels during 60 hours.

w2000

I can't stick with the tried and true Gotchaye Method™ anymore. It's super effective, of course, but I found that it really sucked the fun out of the game for me. It was all just following a list, gaming the system, etc. It works, but I just wasn't having as much fun. Playing matches I can beat, when I can beat them, getting what I can, it might not get me the super primo results, but it also doesn't feel like I'm chained to my iPad and not even having much fun when I'm doing it.

This morning, lol:

Standard Token - Punisher
Standard Token - Hulk
Heroic Token - Bullseye

You can't make this shit up.

I wish I had your luck with standard tokens. I always seem to get M Storm, M Black Widow, and Mk 35 Iron Man. :(

You're wrong.

I played though all the events once. Then, I waited until the hood was on 1000. I waited half an hour, and he remained at 1000, it seemed the new top. So I defeated again. And, because it was my second fight, he went back to 1.

Ok. Now, hours later, it's again at 919 (edit, now 935). So, probably is increasing over time up to 1000, each 8 hours. So, if you wait until the end, you'll get only 3000 points. I'll get 1000 points each 8 hours.

Also, i have 2 other events at 935, that I already played. So probably I can play more than one 1000 mission each 8 hours. If you wait until the end, you'll get less points. You'll be "un-using" the growing of the levels during 60 hours.

Wow! Those fights are refreshing?? That 20000 prize is a lock!

shaowebb

You're wrong.

Holy shit for real?! Well in that case I'm gonna go and trounce him until he spawns his rewards again. Thanks for setting me straight on this one! Didn't know about the refresh.

EDIT:

tdlMV8W.jpg

(︶︹︺) Can anyone give me a reason I shouldn't just sell all three?

shaowebb

WHOA...they repriced the AP store. It now costs 100 HP to buy the 3 all AP boost and 200 iso to buy the 2 color AP boosts. No more starting with a power fully loaded on a battery to setup cascades and TOD match intros.

EDIT: I like how they sped up passive abilities that used to slow matches down. Just a quick text flies by that says "Healing and Heat" or something and you are back at it. This will help in tourneys near the end.

Gotchaye

WHOA...they repriced the AP store. It now costs 100 HP to buy the 3 all AP boost and 200 iso to buy the 2 color AP boosts. No more starting with a power fully loaded on a battery to setup cascades and TOD match intros.

That's... concerning. I understand making boosts harder to come by, and that's in keeping with their wanting to slow the game down (which I understand even if I don't really agree with it), but HP for the best boost is awfully pay-to-win.

I also see that Wolverine and Thor sell for quite a bit right now. I think I'll probably sell Wolverine, at least, since I'd want to rebuild him 5/5/3 anyway and since from here on out I'd probably only be using him when he's buffed (and with their new diminishing return buffs a max level character is rather wasteful). Both together would net me 55k ISO, which is an awful lot of Patch levels.

I also see that Wolverine and Thor sell for quite a bit right now. I think I'll probably sell Wolverine, at least, since I'd want to rebuild him 5/5/3 anyway and since from here on out I'd probably only be using him when he's buffed (and with their new diminishing return buffs a max level character is rather wasteful). Both together would net me 55k ISO, which is an awful lot of Patch levels.

Was thinking the exact same thing. I get a bunch of his covers all the time and respeccing is a ways out.

EDIT: Just sold both. This feeling is so alien to me. Never sold covers before. Feel so….icky….

shaowebb

That's... concerning. I understand making boosts harder to come by, and that's in keeping with their wanting to slow the game down (which I understand even if I don't really agree with it), but HP for the best boost is awfully pay-to-win.

Im also looking at selling Wolverine after running him and Thor for awhile to test things. He only places a decent amount of tiles now if you stockpile red...which you can't do if you want Thor's amazing yellow ability to happen quickly so that you can rack up some green for whatever you need it for.

Problem is my best options are ALL Dark Avengers like Ares, and Daken and those get blocked to me in tournies a lot. My Wolverine sells for about 11000 iso and 300hp. Any ideas for a good Tank. Here's my options.

(¬、¬)...hmm
YTa3jsd.jpg

hwhSA2S.jpg

Think I should just say to hell with it and power level Daken or Storm anyways? They'll only gain about 10 to 12 levels out of this. I could dump it into Thor and just ride out Storm/Daken for whatever they could manage with him too. Not really certain how to handle this scenario.

Damn. That was very useful to fight against Dakken. Starting with 6 green and 6 red allowed me to start with 4 red strike tiles and ony a match away to start the party with Thor red skill.

Now it will be way more difficult to defeat dakken before getting the board full of enemy strike tiles.

I'll have to go to sleep in an hour and I don't know if I should play a few "global mission" matches, even if they're not at full score, or wait until tomorrow. It depend of the score growing time.

They really don't have any clue about the monetization of the game. Really. The cost of buying ISO with real money is too high (specially when you check how many ISO you need to level a character up to level 85), the cost of paying skills with HP is too high, adding HP cost to consumables that don't guarantee to win a single match is too risky (shield is understable, because you spend HP, but in order to guarantee a certain place on the leatherboard that will return some HP). Everything is wrong.

I have already a 5/5/3 and is still ok, specially if you wait for 12 red before using the skill. But Patch is way better (at least, meanwhile is buged). As it should be, of course. I find normal that 3-star chars to have better skills than 2-star ones, and not having to choose better skills but lower level cap vs same (or worse) skills, but higher level cap.

Gotchaye

Sold Wolverine and Thor. Now I have a level 119 Patch. I guess now I'm taking 3 Thor covers from Army of One; got to be ready for the next Divine Heroes tournament or whatever.

shaowebb

Thor/Daken is solid as a rock. Attack tiles for miles. Give it a whirl if you guys still can. Toss in Storm. She helps setup the new cycle.

WOW!! That sell off was the best thing I ever did. I was poking around for new powerhouses and threw MN Mags in against some Maggia because why not and HOLY MOLY he DEMOLISHED.

A bunch of attack tiles? Okay! Bye! Along with every other tile on the screen!

HELLO, NEW ATTACK DOG. THOR WHO?

zulux21

so.... I sold my wolverine (and started a new one :p) I think I will hold onto my thor though. I got 16k for selling my wolverine which I funneled into my punisher.

ToxicAdam

I don't mind the boost repricing but it's totally screwed up my chances in the PvE tourney. They couldn't wait to do this until next week?

zulux21

I don't mind the boost repricing but it's totally screwed up my chances in the PvE tourney. They couldn't wait to do this until next week?

I quite mind the boost repricing... it's likely going to cut my gameplay time quite a bit as I likely won't even bother with PVP tournies anymore and will only do some bare min pve during big stories.. I was always boosted because I preferred a much faster pacing.... the price I paid was that my heroes didn't really level, now if I want a face pace I have to pay money period...

I am not going to do a ton of slow battles so yeah... I after the current stuff I am likely only going to do dailys and hope others do as well to drop player numbers so they revert things back like they did shield pricing.

shaowebb

WOW!! That sell off was the best thing I ever did. I was poking around for new powerhouses and threw MN Mags in against some Maggia because why not and HOLY MOLY he DEMOLISHED.

A bunch of attack tiles? Okay! Bye! Along with every other tile on the screen!

HELLO, NEW ATTACK DOG. THOR WHO?

After fighting Hood/Mags today I already knew that Magneto at any cost is worth max leveling. His red skill is stupidly cheap and wrecks things. Then the blue and purple on top of that equate to the most insane cascades, damage and screen control since pre-patch Ragnarok.

Mines only got 2 red. Soooooooooon though...

zulux21

After fighting Hood/Mags today I already knew that Magneto at any cost is worth max leveling. His red skill is stupidly cheap and wrecks things. Then the blue and purple on top of that equate to the most insane cascades, damage and screen control since pre-patch Ragnarok.

Mines only got 2 red. Soooooooooon though...

keep in mind that magneto is one of the next characters getting nerfed so don't pour to much into him.

edit: and in general I think I am done with this horrid PVE event aside from my daily match to get my daily reward....
this is terrible... it feels like a mmo now... just grind and grind and grind to barely get anywhere.

hamchan

Ooof, the nerf of Wolverine has really hurt the time it takes for me to kill anything now. Plus lowering the rate that boosts drop while making the +3 cost HP really sucks. It's so dumb that they were open and communicative with the balance changes but then secretly add these price changes. How not to build goodwill lesson right here.

I have no idea how to build my team and might just wait for a new meta to form then copy that.

Sold my **Wolverine and Thor then used it all to level my Punisher up to lvl 112. My 2nd slot remains OBW.

Now I just need a 3rd slot and my choices currently are a lvl 85 Hawkeye, a lvl 75 Ares, a lvl 66 The Hulk, a lvl 52 Spider-Man or a lvl 41 Magneto.

Gotchaye

Ooof, the nerf of Wolverine has really hurt the time it takes for me to kill anything now. Plus lowering the rate that boosts drop while making the +3 cost HP really sucks. It's so dumb that they were open and communicative with the balance changes but then secretly add these price changes. How not to build goodwill lesson right here.

I have no idea how to build my team and might just wait for a new meta to form then copy that.

Sold my **Wolverine and Thor then used it all to level my Punisher up to lvl 112. My 2nd slot remains OBW.

Now I just need a 3rd slot and my choices currently are a lvl 85 Hawkeye, a lvl 75 Ares, a lvl 66 The Hulk, a lvl 52 Spider-Man or a lvl 41 Magneto.

Seems to me like Ares fits in really well. He gives you yellow, and his yellow benefits from being on a team with a healer, plus he gives you another option for a red if you happen to collect a bunch of AP while the enemy still has two or three guys left.

Top Bottom