• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

hamchan

Seems to me like Ares fits in really well. He gives you yellow, and his yellow benefits from being on a team with a healer, plus he gives you another option for a red if you happen to collect a bunch of AP while the enemy still has two or three guys left.

Thanks for the advice, using Ares now. Hopefully my team is now scary/annoying enough that people start skipping me.

blackflag

i sold my wolvie and thor and levelled my iron man 40 and patch to the 80s.

Pretty sick combo with 3/5/5 patch.

Use Iron man yellow ability, he gets stunned (giving more wolverine icons) and gives red to patch. Patch's red ability is pretty brutal. Been getting over 6k damage from this pretty easily.

But...I'm done playing if they don't switch boosts back to iso-8

I checked Wolvie out of the event, and the strike tiles has been severely nerfed, also. I got 6 strike tiles (that usually could mean at least 600 damage for each hit) and I was doing 300 damage.

BTW, everybody, update, go to the Shield Training and check the roster of the first one on the leaderboard. Do it. Seriously.

NomarTyme

I checked Wolvie out of the event, and the strike tiles has been severely nerfed, also. I got 6 strike tiles (that usually could mean at least 600 damage for each hit) and I was doing 300 damage.

BTW, everybody, update, go to the Shield Training and check the roster of the first one on the leaderboard. Do it. Seriously.

Wow, I see no point in playing after that.

After fighting Hood/Mags today I already knew that Magneto at any cost is worth max leveling. His red skill is stupidly cheap and wrecks things. Then the blue and purple on top of that equate to the most insane cascades, damage and screen control since pre-patch Ragnarok.

Mines only got 2 red. Soooooooooon though...

keep in mind that magneto is one of the next characters getting nerfed so don't pour to much into him.

edit: and in general I think I am done with this horrid PVE event aside from my daily match to get my daily reward....
this is terrible... it feels like a mmo now... just grind and grind and grind to barely get anywhere.

Wait wait wait I'm talking about Marvel Now Magneto which are y'all talking bout?????

zulux21

Wait wait wait I'm talking about Marvel Now Magneto which are y'all talking bout?????

>.>
I forget that there is two mags lol
my bad...

either way after a few hours away, since I leveled up my punisher I will likely do that event still, but yeah.... I don't think I am going to get a daredevil, hope he isn't used in to much... this event is so horrid... so freaken horrid... I can't believe with how horribly designed this event is that they made boosts more expensive to make it even more horrible... seriously :/

I am very glad I didn't give them any money in that last steam sale and just called it good enough with what my friend got me instead.... as I would be livid right now had I given them more money just to do this :/

shaowebb

Wow, I see no point in playing after that.

ko8oqZC.jpg

Is this legit? I mean he has several of everything all maxed with backups in case they go down. The next highest guy is nowhere near as loaded. Its possible with a LOT of money spent I guess, but it just seems so doubtful given the time sink.

If this is legit...I bow to this man. Holy crap thats an insane roster.

hamchan

>.>
I forget that there is two mags lol
my bad...

either way after a few hours away, since I leveled up my punisher I will likely do that event still, but yeah.... I don't think I am going to get a daredevil, hope he isn't used in to much... this event is so horrid... so freaken horrid... I can't believe with how horribly designed this event is that they made boosts more expensive to make it even more horrible... seriously :/

I am very glad I didn't give them any money in that last steam sale and just called it good enough with what my friend got me instead.... as I would be livid right now had I given them more money just to do this :/

It's quite bad that I spend as much time purposefully killing my roster than actually playing the game this event. Hopefully next episode they just go back to static levels, much simpler for everyone.

Still haven't spent any money on this game yet. Been able to make HP fairly easily by just placing decently in tournaments. Only been spending the HP on shields and cover slots too, since I think recruiting random heroes and leveling abilities with HP is too expensive.

^Yeah looks legit to me. There'll always be a small number of people willing to blow huge amounts of dollars on a F2P game.

shaowebb

After some urging I linked D3 to that guy to either bust a cheater or to have a long slow appreciative whistle at catching the whale to end all whales in a pay to play game. That shit is impressive. I legit hope its real because DAMN.

Also apparently PVP is now apparently single chance and not 3 tries.

The other guy..

Anyways what is your build?

5/3/4

He's really wonderfully powerful. My red, even at 4, only has a countdown of 1 and then does nice damage. Really, so grateful for the nerf. It actually legitimately and instantly made the game more fun for me. Relying on two powerhouses is really boring and had started to sap the fun from the game for me. Watching Mags clean out a whole board and humiliate a bunch of Maggia was the funnest time I've had in the game in a while.

It's also going to let me really stick to my philosophy of keeping everyone at the same level. Thor and Wolverine were a lot stronger than the rest of my roster and I'd just started relying on them plus whoever was boosted. It was getting stale. It's like Cyke said in New X-Men after Xorn cured him of the nano sentinels, "Until you get better, you don't realize how sick you'd been."

Also already got a new Wolverine to start on. Good times.

shaowebb

Cast I am using to get stuff:
  • Daken
  • Thor
  • Modern Storm

Cast I hope to get levels/covers for to make teams out of:
  • Classic Magneto
  • Marvel Now Magneto
  • Spiderman
  • Bullseye
  • Dr Doom

Cast I REALLY want to unlock:
  • Patch Wolverine
  • Daredevil
  • Xforce Wolverine
  • Invisible Woman
  • Ragnarok

Cast I want to see added to the game the most:
  • Iron Fist
  • Phoenix 5
  • Deadpool
  • The Sentry
  • X Force Archangel
  • Fantomex
  • Cable
  • Nightcrawler
  • Gambit
  • Psylocke
  • Human Torch
  • Black Bolt
  • Iron Spiderman
  • Ghost Rider

NomarTyme

After some urging I linked D3 to that guy to either bust a cheater or to have a long slow appreciative whistle at catching the whale to end all whales in a pay to play game. That shit is impressive. I legit hope its real because DAMN.

Also apparently PVP is now apparently single chance and not 3 tries.
Wow a whole of changes.
5/3/4

He's really wonderfully powerful. My red, even at 4, only has a countdown of 1 and then does nice damage. Really, so grateful for the nerf. It actually legitimately and instantly made the game more fun for me. Relying on two powerhouses is really boring and had started to sap the fun from the game for me. Watching Mags clean out a whole board and humiliate a bunch of Maggia was the funnest time I've had in the game in a while.

It's also going to let me really stick to my philosophy of keeping everyone at the same level. Thor and Wolverine were a lot stronger than the rest of my roster and I'd just started relying on them plus whoever was boosted. It was getting stale. It's like Cyke said in New X-Men after Xorn cured him of the nano sentinels, "Until you get better, you don't realize how sick you'd been."

Also already got a new Wolverine to start on. Good times.

Mine is 3/2/3 currently, but I gonna spend my iso on OBW right now. Yeah I'm fine with the changes the only thing I really hate is the boost price.

Pretty outrageous with some of the boosts now costing coins. Coins are so rare for me now. I've been stuck at 50 coins for weeks. I haven't dropped a dime in the game though. I don't mind the nerfing of wolvie and Thor but pretty annoyed at the boost changes.

ToxicAdam

My only problem about this was the timing. They knew their PvE event was horribly broken and still rolled this out anyways. They easily could have waited until next week until this event was over.

So, either they are horribly inept or horribly cynical towards their fanbase.

Either choice is pretty unsettling.

I'm just gonna take a week off and check back on the game later. I'll probably still troll the forums and laugh at the meltdowns. Especially when that Elite Avengers tourney comes to and end and everyone is pissed off for missing rewards.

shaowebb

Found a thread on D3 on "what kind of tiles do you want to see?"

Here's my submission...it would be HELL.

This one would need some play testing but the idea is a tile that spreads and adds more of itself exponentially that slooooowly drains your AP...that yields no AP for opponents when popped. Use it for a curse, a virus, penance stare, The Void spreading over the world, The Phoenix consuming all...ANYTHING. Its a really insane 3 star sort of power IMO. If anyone ever acts as a purple battery this character would love them and a Stun expert to force a game of attrition where they lock you out of abilities slowly but surely due to creating a fuel shortage. Weakness would be folks capable of screen clearing in large numbers like Modern Storm, Juggernaut, Magneto , etc. Though this would ruin Storm's battery role...

VIRUS TILE
Cost 14 purple AP

Choose a tile to add a virus icon to on the board. If any Tiles are popped that touch it on any side all tiles that enter those spaces will contract the Virus and carry the Virus. If a Virus tile is popped it disappears. (Virus tiles are meant to spread and try to cover as much of the board as possible until you can pop them all. The object is "space control" and to pop areas near a Virus you place to spread it and further contaminate the board. )

Virus tiles do not yield AP for opponents when popped. (The idea is to shut down the fuel supply of the world.)

Virus tiles remove 1 ap of every color from opponent for every 6 virus tiles on the board per turn.

Level 1
Cost 14 purple
AP Place 1 virus tile. Steals 1 AP of every color per turn for every 6 Virus tiles on board.
Level 2
Cost 13 purple
AP Place 1 virus tile. Steals 1 AP of every color per turn for every 5 Virus tiles on board.
Level 3
Cost 12
AP Place 1 virus tile. Steals 1 AP of every color per turn for every 4 Virus tiles on board.
Level 4
Cost 11
AP Place 1 virus tile. Steals 1 AP of every color per turn for every 4 Virus tiles on board.
Level 5
Cost 10
AP Place 1 virus tile. Steals 1 AP of every color per turn for every 3 Virus tiles on board.

Gotchaye

I like MN Magneto too. But mine is only 3/2/5, probably aiming for 3/5/5. I really like the low countdown on the blue.

Also, I just got first in the Hood LR. I really, really like Patch. My team was 124 Patch, 85 Original Widow, 75 Hood. Never had to use a health pack. I only got attacked maybe 6 times, and the attackers lost half of those. Patch's healing, especially backed up by Widow, is crazy, and keeps him in a match indefinitely, and dual AP stealing from Widow and Hood means the enemy almost never gets off a power. Typically I'd trade matches with their Hood (if he had a high level blue) or their Original Widow while saving up AP, then cover the board in strike tiles and take down two characters in a single turn. Level 70 buffed Ragnarok was no problem at all.

I suspect that people were really hesitant to attack me because, even though he's likely to hurt himself too, nobody wants to risk Patch getting 9 green and then triggering a cascade, and they can't really go for Patch first because Widow and Hood will suck them dry.

This is actually my first LR finish better than top 25. Hood is now 4/5/3 and I'm a little tempted to just throw down HP on his yellow since it becomes awesome at level 5.

Also, it seems like Original Widow is now one of the scariest characters on defense. Boosts were emphasizing her fragility, but now it's very hard to take her down before she gets going, and she slows down your blue, purple, and black skills and can potentially ruin your day if she gets enough purple. The closest I came to losing a match or character in that LR was against a fairly tame OBW + Modern Storm with a low-level Hood team where Widow got an early purple cascade and proceeded to keep me drained, keep herself healed, and keep Storm in green, red, and black. But as long as I kept Patch in front I was basically okay, since he's healing 300+ hp per turn, and even though everyone got down under half eventually I was able to get enough purple of my own to break out.

w2000

ko8oqZC.jpg

Is this legit? I mean he has several of everything all maxed with backups in case they go down. The next highest guy is nowhere near as loaded. Its possible with a LOT of money spent I guess, but it just seems so doubtful given the time sink.

If this is legit...I bow to this man. Holy crap thats an insane roster.

I don't think it is. I saw the 2nd page and he has 2 Mk 35 Iron Mans and I have never been able to recruit a 2nd on the roster. It always goes to the rewards bin so I sell it.

zulux21

hmmmm I am not sure when in the last week they changed this but hawkeye is a lot less of a dick then before...

just noticed that when he avoids an AOE now some other character doesn't take double damage from the AOE anymore.

blackflag

My only problem about this was the timing. They knew their PvE event was horribly broken and still rolled this out anyways. They easily could have waited until next week until this event was over.

So, either they are horribly inept or horribly cynical towards their fanbase.

Either choice is pretty unsettling.

I'm just gonna take a week off and check back on the game later. I'll probably still troll the forums and laugh at the meltdowns. Especially when that Elite Avengers tourney comes to and end and everyone is pissed off for missing rewards.

Your only problem with the boost pricing is the timing? Dude, it's truly just pay to win now. 1 dollar for 3 boosts that if you don't have, you won't win.

Your only problem with the boost pricing is the timing? Dude, it's truly just pay to win now. 1 dollar for 3 boosts that if you don't have, you won't win.

Huh? I just beat several matches this morning, and if I didn't beat them, their levels would go down, I'd wait a half hour and then I'd beat them. Cost - $0

People were already spending money to build monster teams so I don't see how it's suddenly p2w if it wasn't before. Any community/score based game with IAP will be p2w on some level. And there are so many ways to enjoy the game and build a team without spending money AND while still finishing lower than people feeding money into the game. Random tokens may suck a whole lot but they ensure that anyone has a chance at a really good team if they play long enough. Matter of fact, in a few days my resupply is a grey BW green cover! Yay!

I don't know, I don't see how the boost change did anything more than take away a crutch. People can spend money and keep using their crutch but if they didn't have that opportunity they'd just spend it on levels or covers and beat you/place higher than you anyway.

zulux21

gah..... it's so stupid you can still lose points after you are shielded. (I am assuming that the person started a match against me before I shielded and took 10 min to finish the match or something as it popped up... you got attacked three times... shielded, shielded. -25) -_-

edit: I guess on the flip side you can at least get points back if someone loses to you, which is a lot more likely now since the 3 tries thing is gone.

So is the "retreat to drop their levels" trick now patched out?

Huh, they don't seem to go up now, either. I'm talking about the current PvE sub events.

ToxicAdam

I think you're being a little over-dramatic. You can still beat teams that are your level or below without boosts. The difference is that you're going to take more damage and you can get wiped more often, so you'll be churning through the health packs a lot more.

I made the remark the other day that I hadn't 'run out' of health packs in the past month or so. I either got bored playing or real life responsibilities made me quit. Which was great for me, but probably not what a F2P dev wants in his game.

-- // --

As far as the 'pay to win' angle, that's ALWAYS the case with these types of games. The top 1 percent are all paying customers and they all have the best gear. MPQ is no different. It really becomes apparent when you attempted to compete against these guys in any unbracketed tournies. This (+3 AP boosts) just gives them another tool to make them feel special.

Askani

Wow...they nuked Thor's Yellow to the ground. Does 1/3 the damage it used to. Plus the tile changes from red. Yeesh. Obviously I knew it was coming, but cripes.

shaowebb

Lol at the "Best there is tourney" for Wolverine one day after the Wolverine sell off. Prizes are Spidey's Wolvies, Thors and a grand prize Invisible Woman. BTW Thor/Daken/Storm is pretty great stuff for me right now, but Tanking with Thor and running support Daken does leave me a little low on health. I dont hold up well to Ares teams. Luckily I just got a blue cover for Marvel Now Magneto to go with his other stuff. Things are starting to work out on this team if I can just get one of my two magnetos a bit higher. Running Thor/Mags/Storm sounds absolutely incredible.

I think you're being a little over-dramatic. You can still beat teams that are your level or below without boosts..

Yeah, to bad they are all lvl 230. Anyway i hate having a cost to pay Iso or Hp i just feels like im loosing "money" everytime i try to play. Yesterday i play alot clear my sub missions doing fine (got second place) i left the main missions because i can just do them tomorrow right? Well, wrong! im now down to 200 or something and without boosts and a bugged Patch there is no way i can get back up.

Thank you devs for changing everything mid event again. Today i played two matches i lost both. Im not feeling like playing more right now.

BearPawB

Banned
Any tips for beginners? Is there a reason to even try at events? They all have these super powered characters. Should i just beat the prologue first?

zulux21

Any tips for beginners? Is there a reason to even try at events? They all have these super powered characters. Should i just beat the prologue first?

work on the prologue to get a roster going.
use all HP on character slots.
hope that they fix the game back to the way it was while you do that otherwise it will be a while before you will be able to do anything in the PVE, but you will still have a change to play around with PVP after you get a level 20 team or so.

shaowebb

Definitely beat the prologue first. It nets you covers, Iso, Gold, and a ton of levels.

Here's some advice to have.
  • ONLY spend gold on character slots. Buying covers is like rolling the dice and 90% of the time you LOSE.
  • Yelena Belova and Bagman Spiderman are pure garbage. Dont waste the slots for them. Classic Hawkeye is suspect on this as his low health and complete reliance on Crit tiles means that most times he is just going to get NOTHING out of all of his AP spent on his ability. Modern Hawkeye is cool though.
  • Great tactics are to stun players repeatedly if you have folks who can do it. Spiderman (blue) and Black Widow Modern (blue) have the best stuns in the game. Widow will stun their whole team for a turn and the person you targeted for 5 turns at 5 covers and she is REALLY easy to draw covers for in both random recruit tokens and prologue. She will get you far early on.
  • Characters can ONLY have 13 covers...you can't max 3 stats on a character so prepare to do 5/5/3 or 5/4/4 a lot. Respec doesn't exist yet but its coming later...dont depend on that fact though. Build properly and ask for tips when not certain. Lots of us have a TON of experience with the cast.
  • Battery characters/board control characters are folks who tend to pop a ton of tiles at once or generate a ton of AP at once. The best teams tend to use them no matter what so if you see Modern Storm Green KEEP HER. She is the best battery in the game. Pairing her with Thor yellow is incredible as he yields 9 green per shot. They feed each other and a single turn can take minutes to finish as they create cascades and load your team up with insane AP amounts.
  • High damage characters are needed. Early on Juggernaut is the highest damage highest reward character for the least AP cost but he caps at lvl 40 and after awhile the damage he does to himself is too high to keep him on most teams regardless of how he kills in one shot early on by doing over 1000 a shot. His green also pops tiles to clear timers so he's good early on but scout for stronger heavies later out of what you earn unless you got a dedicated healer that works for him...generally Spiderman or Classic fishnets Black Widow are the only ones who work and Spidey is BY FAR the better to have as he can heal even if timers are on the board...and for more far cheaper.
  • When you replay events outside of prologue there are points next to an envelope in the upper right listed for each...that goes DOWN the more you replay but every 8 hours resets. As these events go on your rank drops too. Dont leave yourself with 1 point as all you can earn near the end of a tourney. Regardless of how often you play till the end always try to hit the last hour or two and save some points for it. If you are on your last 8 hr refresh save it till the end so the score doesn't drop and you get higher rewards.
  • PVP tournies are loaded with high level players. Until you are high level dont invest heavily in them...the whales live there for the rewards and you'll just get slammed without large teams, and buying shields with money.
  • USE AP BOOSTS. The rest are trash but a very real tactic is to go into an event, spend 600 iso (or more if you buy the 3 of all AP boost) with some of each color, start the match and go for abilities super quick.
  • Cripple core players from opponents FIRST. Some cast, long term will ruin a match if you dont kill them first. Click on them before you do anything and focus on them. Examples are Maggia Hitmen, Maggia Muscle (attack tiles hurt), Snipers, Bullseye (his protect tiles lower damage to 1), Daken (strike tiles multiply damage and make it hell on you every time your hit), and one hit kill characters like Juggernaut, or Ares who just do a TON of damage. Venom can also be trying at times if you let him get too much pink or black AP and he starts stunning and using his high damage Devour ability.
  • Attack bonus tiles are GOOD. They make every tile popped hit for more. Wolverine used to place a ton that did a lot but his nerf finally happened as it was busted. Its okay now, but Daken places them passively and 3 stars like Patch go crazy with how good theres are. Its cool to consider using a team that feeds AP to such a character to make tile pops stronger...it adds up quick!
  • DONT rely on the idea of 3 star and such dropping...they wont appear often and dont level easily. 1 star and 2 star are the best to work with though many 2 star are tough to get at times. Best to start with 1 stars and whatever 2 star you manage to get first early on. Juggernaut, Modern Storm, and Black Widow common is fairly common and strong early.

Shao, that's a great and informative post for MPQ players of ANY age!

Thanks so much, man!!! Never realized the Storm/Thor combo! After this event I'm selling my 3/5/5 Storm and startin' ovah!

shaowebb

Shao, that's a great and informative post for MPQ players of ANY age!

Thanks so much, man!!! Never realized the Storm/Thor combo! After this event I'm selling my 3/5/5 Storm and startin' ovah!

No problem.Storm/Thor is beast and then some. She uses Green for Lightning which pops, yields AP and does damage. It generally acts as battery for whatever you need...quite often more lightning because of the 9 green tiles Thor places may not all necessarily get popped once he throws them down...her lightning generally picks up a few more. I've had her shoot a Lightning, get Thor's yellow fueled and after it fired get another lightning to fuel his red into his yellow again. Stuff happens more than you'd believe...TONS of tiles gone and AP out the ass. Whoever you want generally does good with them. I found throwing a Blue user like Spidey in the mix is amazing for them...especially since he starts rolling in stun attacks. Venom too BTW. Both use colors they dont and Venom also tanks. I've used Widow and while stun happy the team has tissue paper for health with both Storm/Widow together.

Also fun thing about Spidey...Spidey, Storm, Juggernaut is AMAZING as Spidey sets up stuns and Storm batteries Juggernaut whose sole purpose is to do headbutt...Spidey then heals Juggernaut before Storm pops off lightning. Its pretty sweet and since lightning pops web tiles its a good way to time Storm and Spidey to work together and get the most out of it. Great way to have a Juggernaut Tank back on your team since he's so healthy and does good damage.

Also good news...I just got both a Patch and Punisher cover! Sweet!

No problem.Storm/Thor is beast and then some. She uses Green for Lightning which pops, yields AP and does damage. It generally acts as battery for whatever you need...quite often more lightning because of the 9 green tiles Thor places may not all necessarily get popped once he throws them down...her lightning generally picks up a few more. I've had her shoot a Lightning, get Thor's yellow fueled and after it fired get another lightning to fuel his red into his yellow again. Stuff happens more than you'd believe...TONS of tiles gone and AP out the ass. Whoever you want generally does good with them. I found throwing a Blue user like Spidey in the mix is amazing for them...especially since he starts rolling in stun attacks. Venom too BTW. Both use colors they dont and Venom also tanks. I've used Widow and while stun happy the team has tissue paper for health with both Storm/Widow together.

Also fun thing about Spidey...Spidey, Storm, Juggernaut is AMAZING as Spidey sets up stuns and Storm batteries Juggernaut whose sole purpose is to do headbutt...Spidey then heals Juggernaut before Storm pops off lightning. Its pretty sweet and since lightning pops web tiles its a good way to time Storm and Spidey to work together and get the most out of it. Great way to have a Juggernaut Tank back on your team since he's so healthy and does good damage.

Also good news...I just got both a Patch and Punisher cover! Sweet!

What's your Storm build, buddy?

Is there a reason you prefer modern Storm? I've been doing pretty much this with Classic, but I'm curious if there's something better about Modern...

And again, thanks for that big post!

EDIT: wow, I just got Loki in a standard pack. That's the first time I've ever gotten a three star out of one.

AVclub

I'm about done with this fucking game. They expect you to put all this time and effort into figuring out which is the best character combo, leveling those characters to max, only to nerf them so you can't win with them anymore? What's the point? The next set everyone figures out and maxes will also get nerfed.

After these updates, I've found it takes longer to play a match, the actual graphics move slower then before, both on my iPad2 and my Galaxy S4. The "update" info is annoying as hell because it's got entire pages of stuff to read now. Charging real money for boosts is some more bullshit. So is charging money for a tourney.

They don't seriously expect people to dig through forums for the latest info on how to play this game, do they? It's supposed to be casual fun on your phone, but each time it changes, things get more convoluted and difficult to follow.

shaowebb

What's your Storm build, buddy?

5/4/4
Thats 5 green, 4 red, 4 black. I had considered going for one of the other setups but if you go 5 covers red that ability goes down from 6ap to 5ap...which doesn't help considering after a single usage you already popped all the environmental tiles so having hit more often is a moot point. If you go for any other build go 5/3/5 as Black tiles can hit for around 300ish a turn. I went 5/4/4 so I could still get decent damage out of both her red and black though. Just make certain to go 5 covers green and your set!

Is there a reason you prefer modern Storm? I've been doing pretty much this with Classic, but I'm curious if there's something better about Modern...

And again, thanks for that big post!

EDIT: wow, I just got Loki in a standard pack. That's the first time I've ever gotten a three star out of one.
Because I have a max leveled Common right now that shatters 16 tiles for 10 spent. Even though Classic storm at max covers cuts down 18 tiles to 19 tiles she costs 12 to do it so you paid for those extra tiles by an AP each. Remember...classic storm isn't a set number. She pays 12 ap to pop 6 tiles and then gets 1 for every additional green AP. With health as low as Storm's the last thing I want is to have to wait an extra turn to get another 2 more tiles.

Both work, but Common Storm works more for me. HOWEVER, Classic Storm has blue covers that I need to make a 5/5/3 character and Classic Storm's blue ability IS. A. STUN. That pays for those extra AP and if I can ever draw two more covers I'll likely make the switch...she's just harder to find. If you have a 5/5/3 classic Storm DO IT. She's insane. For now though having the cheap damage and extra cascades plus instant environmental abilities on Common Storm is nothing to sneeze at.

My suggestion is run both. When one gets worn out tag in the other.

Ah, I see. Yeah, I have a 3/3/5 Classic Storm who's pretty much my main character in every fight, and that blue power is nuts. AoE AND stun. Too bad I already have 5 on yellow! Maybe that respec update will happen soon. Think I should shoot for making her 4/4/5 if possible? Or would it be better to max green or blue over the other?

Currently at lv 51, she does 860 to all three enemies and stuns the target for 3 turns. Another blue cover and that jumps to 1032, damn. Too bad stockpile boosts are gone now... I was really kicking some ass by buying the all colors stockpile and the blue purple one, and nailing them with that blue power asap.

blackflag

I think you're being a little over-dramatic. You can still beat teams that are your level or below without boosts. The difference is that you're going to take more damage and you can get wiped more often, so you'll be churning through the health packs a lot more.

I made the remark the other day that I hadn't 'run out' of health packs in the past month or so. I either got bored playing or real life responsibilities made me quit. Which was great for me, but probably not what a F2P dev wants in his game.

-- // --

As far as the 'pay to win' angle, that's ALWAYS the case with these types of games. The top 1 percent are all paying customers and they all have the best gear. MPQ is no different. It really becomes apparent when you attempted to compete against these guys in any unbracketed tournies. This (+3 AP boosts) just gives them another tool to make them feel special.

I dunno, with the boosts I could basically place 1st or top 5 in everything. Without it, there's no way. I already have a 3/5/5 patch, 3/5/5 punisher, etc. There's no way I'd have that if I wasn't winning...and I haven't been paying. Now however that won't happen. I'm not against paying. I have paid like 20 dollars total for card packs....(before the C. Storm nerf..Never again). But I'm not an ATM machine.

If you think you are going to place 1st or in the top few without using those boosts, well, I doubt it.

shaowebb

Ah, I see. Yeah, I have a 3/3/5 Classic Storm who's pretty much my main character in every fight, and that blue power is nuts. AoE AND stun. Too bad I already have 5 on yellow! Maybe that respec update will happen soon. Think I should shoot for making her 4/4/5 if possible? Or would it be better to max green or blue over the other?

Currently at lv 51, she does 860 to all three enemies and stuns the target for 3 turns. Another blue cover and that jumps to 1032, damn. Too bad stockpile boosts are gone now... I was really kicking some ass by buying the all colors stockpile and the blue purple one, and nailing them with that blue power asap.

DEFINITELY go green and blue. Yellow is a nuisance but in general Storm will be killed easily and it wont happen enough. Up her blue and battery and the two will work in tandem so much she stays alive a lot easier and you can deal far more damage than yellow could simply by staying in the fight and demolishing them with cascades. That stun and Green especially is her bread and butter. Also of note is that Common Storm's red if timed right clears so much of the board that its own cascade often rapidly gives her the green she needs. She is built to be a faster battery. Classic is built to be a hybrid stunner/battery.

DEFINITELY go green and blue. Yellow is a nuisance but in general Storm will be killed easily and it wont happen enough. Up her blue and battery and the two will work in tandem so much she stays alive a lot easier and you can deal far more damage than yellow could simply by staying in the fight and demolishing them with cascades. That stun and Green especially is her bread and butter. Also of note is that Common Storm's red if timed right clears so much of the board that its own cascade often rapidly gives her the green she needs. She is built to be a faster battery. Classic is built to be a hybrid stunner/battery.

Well, the bummer is, I already have 5 on yellow... 3/3/5. So I'm saying, where should I plug in the final four pieces?

shaowebb

Well, the bummer is, I already have 5 on yellow... 3/3/5. So I'm saying, where should I plug in the final four pieces?

If you get a chance to later then respec unless you are at near 85. If not go 5/3/5

You see even though you could stun a single character for 4 turns if you went 3/5/5 it wouldn't matter as Storm ONLY pops 1 green for every AP at lvl 5. Otherwise her Green ability NEVER takes off maxing out at lvl 4 at 4 tiles plus 1 for every two green AP you have...in other words at lvl 4 she generally pops 10. Decent but it took 12 ap to do it. Not popping at least 12 means its payout isn't even to its reward...its just a random redistribution and at that point all that green could have been spent on a tank.

If you go 5/3/5 though you still stun for 3 turns but you pop 18 to 19 tiles and that means that even though you stun 1 less you just netted 6 to 7 tiles profit and the odds of cascades and other abilities registering after that is of course MUCH higher.

Her green and blue is the shit....5/3/5 though isn't a "bad build". If you get up near max levels that yellow at 50% damage hits the target for like 2000ish and the rest for like 300ish or something. I never want her hit at max level though because she'd die to those kind of folks but if they dont catch you on the board because you weren't paying attention to their AP it does a nice little number for comebacks at high level. At level 85 it may just turn out 5/3/5 is the best build for her...at mid levels like 30's to 60's though I'd definitely run 5/5/3 though.

ToxicAdam

I dunno, with the boosts I could basically place 1st or top 5 in everything. Without it, there's no way. I already have a 3/5/5 patch, 3/5/5 punisher, etc. There's no way I'd have that if I wasn't winning...and I haven't been paying. Now however that won't happen. I'm not against paying. I have paid like 20 dollars total for card packs....(before the C. Storm nerf..Never again). But I'm not an ATM machine.

If you think you are going to place 1st or in the top few without using those boosts, well, I doubt it.

You were placing top 5 in the lightning rounds? Because I would be impressed by that. Those are the types of tournaments where everyone is competing against each other.

Placing top 5 in other tournaments wasn't too hard because they are bracketed to 200 or 500 users. You only have to beat them. Which gives the users a lot more opportunities to place in the top 5 because it spreads out all the 'pay2win' guys among dozens and dozens of brackets.

Pretty much everyone (that was competing for the top) was boosting, so everyone should be on the same level playing ground now. I really can't imagine there will be too many guys that will be willing to spend 100 HP every three matches to win some ho-hum cover already in their collection. Why would you spend 1500 in HP for boosts, when you can just buy the cover for 1150? You might want to rethink equation for the 4 star covers, but they are both piss-poor.

It has to be such a small percentage of the user base that would do that, that they will barely effect your chances at reward handouts.

If you get a chance to later then respec unless you are at near 85. If not go 5/3/5

You see even though you could stun a single character for 4 turns if you went 3/5/5 it wouldn't matter as Storm ONLY pops 1 green for every AP at lvl 5. Otherwise her Green ability NEVER takes off maxing out at lvl 4 at 4 tiles plus 1 for every two green AP you have...in other words at lvl 4 she generally pops 10. Decent but it took 12 ap to do it. Not popping at least 12 means its payout isn't even to its reward...its just a random redistribution and at that point all that green could have been spent on a tank.

If you go 5/3/5 though you still stun for 3 turns but you pop 18 to 19 tiles and that means that even though you stun 1 less you just netted 6 to 7 tiles profit and the odds of cascades and other abilities registering after that is of course MUCH higher.

Her green and blue is the shit....5/3/5 though isn't a "bad build". If you get up near max levels that yellow at 50% damage hits the target for like 2000ish and the rest for like 300ish or something. I never want her hit at max level though because she'd die to those kind of folks but if they dont catch you on the board because you weren't paying attention to their AP it does a nice little number for comebacks at high level. At level 85 it may just turn out 5/3/5 is the best build for her...at mid levels like 30's to 60's though I'd definitely run 5/5/3 though.

Hell yeah, awesome. Thanks for that!

blackflag

You were placing top 5 in the lightning rounds? Because I would be impressed by that. Those are the types of tournaments where everyone is competing against each other.

Placing top 5 in other tournaments wasn't too hard because they are bracketed to 200 or 500 users. You only have to beat them. Which gives the users a lot more opportunities to place in the top 5 because it spreads out all the 'pay2win' guys among dozens and dozens of brackets.

Pretty much everyone (that was competing for the top) was boosting, so everyone should be on the same level playing ground now. I really can't imagine there will be too many guys that will be willing to spend 100 HP every three matches to win some ho-hum cover already in their collection. Why would you spend 1500 in HP for boosts, when you can just buy the cover for 1150? You might want to rethink equation for the 4 star covers, but they are both piss-poor.

It has to be such a small percentage of the user base that would do that, that they will barely effect your chances at reward handouts.

Yeah I guess that's what I'm worried about. I just think there are enough idiots that will pay it. If not then it's no big deal but overall it still makes the game less fun and much slower paced.

I'm like 99.9% sure they revert it though.

edit: no, not lightning rounds. I only used those to tank my rating. I don't want to use any of them.

Gotchaye

Has anyone noticed significant slowdown in the PC version since the update? Even things that haven't changed, like the screen where you're opening up a new reward, seem to be chugging along now. It's very annoying.

On the bright side I was well-positioned for the inevitable Patch tournament. 10k HP and he heals for ~800 every turn.

shaowebb

Has anyone noticed significant slowdown in the PC version since the update? Even things that haven't changed, like the screen where you're opening up a new reward, seem to be chugging along now. It's very annoying.

On the bright side I was well-positioned for the inevitable Patch tournament. 10k HP and he heals for ~800 every turn.

Thor Patch Spidey? Thor Patch Magneto?

Im dying to know if I'm guessing ballpark on your team here for that character.

Top Bottom