• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

shaowebb

Daredevil has some dope sounding skills. Enemies cant see his tiles and even if you pop his tiles they just relocate and stay on the board and yield you some lesser reward.

I dig the one that robs 2 AP of every color and his damage one. This guy looks like he could be fun to pair with some folks.

I love DareDevil, as a character, and I like a lot the powers that he has, so I'm aiming for the top. I hope that we get the card when we'll reach the global target.

Also, it seems a good support character for typical green-red-yellow characters (Thor-wolverines, Ares), or even for green-red-black (punisher, hulk). Patch-Punisher-DareDevil would make an amazing team.

Askani

Why does this run so poorly now? I have an iPhone 5 and it's chunky and slow. It's like someone didn't even play test it versus the last one.

ToxicAdam

I'm sitting pretty good,I'm #1 in my sub with points still to be had in most of my missions. I'm going to sit on them until the very end. Hopefully, I'll have some free time to do some last minute grinding.

I'm sitting pretty good,I'm #1 in my sub with points still to be had in most of my missions. I'm going to sit on them until the very end. Hopefully, I'll have some free time to do some last minute grinding.

I don't understand why some people have 1 points on each mission, and other people has still points on the missions and got better scores.

Did you made something special? There should be some kind of "respawn" formula and, depending of your completition ratio, you get more points on the same events than if you play them faster or slower.

ToxicAdam

I took the recommendation of a few others players and started the last mission first and worked backwards. Never grinding one mission down to 1 point.

It's is stupid the player is forced to play CSI detective each event trying to figure out how scoring works. But documentation and transparency has never been a strong suit of this game.

I took the recommendation of a few others players and started the last mission first and worked backwards. Never grinding one mission down to 1 point.

It's is stupid the player is forced to play CSI detective each event trying to figure out how scoring works.

So getting first the missions that give more score, because even if completing missions reduce the score in a percentage, you got the biggest ammount possible of points.

Gotchaye

So getting first the missions that give more score, because even if completing missions reduce the score in a percentage, you got the biggest ammount possible of points.

Yeah, this has been a feature of their rubber-banding for a while now. With The Hunt event you wanted to be hitting the 1000 point missions before the 200 point ones. While it would be pretty easy to assign rubber-banding point values to missions such that there's very little reason to worry about the order in which you're doing them, it looks like the system in place comes up with a single rubber-banding factor on the basis of whatever they care about this time and just multiplies the base point value of all missions by that. This is recalculated constantly, so as you play missions and get points the multiplier decreases.

I feel like the lack of transparency is intentional. They really want players who pay close attention to not have a big advantage. That's why they keep changing up the system. But the downside is that, since doing well requires doing very counterintuitive things, placement in at least the first sub-event is rather random. And then after that it's dominated by players who pay attention, unless they put in such extreme rubber-banding that extremely casual players do well in particular sub-events by virtue of not playing most of the sub-events. So I don't think this is working out for them.

Edit: What's worrying me is that the levels on the dudes in the main event mission are going up as I do the sub-event missions. So am I going to have level 200+ guys from the get-go in the next sub-event, or does the whole thing reset?

NomarTyme

Yeah, this has been a feature of their rubber-banding for a while now. With The Hunt event you wanted to be hitting the 1000 point missions before the 200 point ones. While it would be pretty easy to assign rubber-banding point values to missions such that there's very little reason to worry about the order in which you're doing them, it looks like the system in place comes up with a single rubber-banding factor on the basis of whatever they care about this time and just multiplies the base point value of all missions by that. This is recalculated constantly, so as you play missions and get points the multiplier decreases.

I feel like the lack of transparency is intentional. They really want players who pay close attention to not have a big advantage. That's why they keep changing up the system. But the downside is that, since doing well requires doing very counterintuitive things, placement in at least the first sub-event is rather random. And then after that it's dominated by players who pay attention, unless they put in such extreme rubber-banding that extremely casual players do well in particular sub-events by virtue of not playing most of the sub-events. So I don't think this is working out for them.

Edit: What's worrying me is that the levels on the dudes in the main event mission are going up as I do the sub-event missions. So am I going to have level 200+ guys from the get-go in the next sub-event, or does the whole thing reset?

Oh god if true.

I didn't know that if you lose a match the levels of the enemy decreases.

Enemies level do carry over. Damn!

ToxicAdam

I got too busy playing out in the snow with the kids, only had. 20 minutes to grind at the end and came up just short of first. Crap.

Gotchaye

I got first with I think 995. Second had 950.

My Patch is now 3/3/3 and level 66 out of 89. It's worth noting that at level 51 he basically has the same stats as a level 85 Astonishing Wolverine with their respective boosts. Diminishing returns are hitting hard. At level 66, boosted Patch has 6280 HP and does 73 damage per green tile. Level 18 Patch already has 4451 HP and does 54 damage with green tiles.

So really it's all about the Patch covers rather than levels. Healing Factor goes from useless at level 1 to ridiculous at level 5. Berserker Rage (bugged) eventually gives you 12 strike tiles. Best There Is adds strike tiles and doubles in damage as it levels.

NomarTyme

I got first with I think 995. Second had 950.

My Patch is now 3/3/3 and level 66 out of 89. It's worth noting that at level 51 he basically has the same stats as a level 85 Astonishing Wolverine with their respective boosts. Diminishing returns are hitting hard. At level 66, boosted Patch has 6280 HP and does 73 damage per green tile. Level 18 Patch already has 4451 HP and does 54 damage with green tiles.

So really it's all about the Patch covers rather than levels. Healing Factor goes from useless at level 1 to ridiculous at level 5. Berserker Rage (bugged) eventually gives you 12 strike tiles. Best There Is adds strike tiles and doubles in damage as it levels.

Goddamn son. I'm going all out in the Punisher tourney.

Gotchaye

I'm pretty sure they just downgraded the number of points required to unlock Daredevil, or whatever it is we're counting down to. It was 700 million before, and barely any progress had been made. Now it's 70 million and the bar is 1/3 full.

I just decided "hell with it, I'll drop $2 on one of the "patchwork" pack, support the devs and hopefully get him. I got Bag-Man. :(

I feel like we should have a "Don't waste money on recruit packs!" banner that gets posted every page a la "Wait for the Daily Deals" for Steam sales.

Damn, so how am I supposed to get a Patch if I don't already have him? To place high enough in these sub events to get him, you have to play the Patch-required battle. It's a catch 22.

I just decided "hell with it, I'll drop $2 on one of the "patchwork" pack, support the devs and hopefully get him. I got Bag-Man. :(

ToxicAdam

Just a friendly hint: those PvE point totals(when challenging AI opponents) are often wrong, especially if you rack up 3 or 4 wins in a row. If you check the top 10 in your bracket in between each victory, it will update your potential point totals.

That way you're not battling some 200 lvl opponents and thinking you're getting 18 points, when you actually get 1.

NomarTyme

Just a friendly hint: those PvE point totals(when challenging AI opponents) are often wrong, especially if you rack up 3 or 4 wins in a row. If you check the top 10 in your bracket in between each victory, it will update your potential point totals.

That way you're not battling some 200 lvl opponents and thinking you're getting 18 points, when you actually get 1.

Good to know. Thanks.

shaowebb

Patch Wolverine is definitely going to become the new hotness. Guy hits for over 600 clean at level 18 just on green matches and his green tile attack is super painful to take and cheap.

This guy definitely defines 3 star...incredibly brutal and easy to load before a match. Wish the tourney let me try out Daredevil at this point. He is really exciting sounding and I already have a few ideas for teams I wanna run to feed him and use him. Hope to see one someday as I dont have Patch or Spiderman and cant actually place in these events due to being restricted from the final bouts :C

shaowebb

Damn, so how am I supposed to get a Patch if I don't already have him? To place high enough in these sub events to get him, you have to play the Patch-required battle. It's a catch 22.

THIS. Fuck this. That is the kind of thing that nearly made me leave. If I hadn't heard the word update and came back then hit an insane streak of covers for over a week it would have ended the game for me.

They really need to stop putting bullshit cast into things like named packs...they are no better than normal packs and simply cost more IMO. Its misleading as hell.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
New player here, but is it just me or does this game become a bit of a grind when you hit the 20s or so? I'm sort of sandwiched between AI battles being a bit too damaging if you get caught with the wrong initial board set up and quickly getting obliterated in PvP after making small headway trying to make up for the ISO-8 that's harder to get in SP.

Maybe it's my team set up, as I've been putting pretty much everything into only 3 characters. Been rolling with Iron Man (35), Storm (Modern) and Hawkeye (Classic). I think I'm at the point where I can't power through this any more. Any suggestions for what I should put my ISO-8 into at this point? I also have:
Black Widow (Grey)
Thor (Now!)
Hawkeye (Modern)
Magneto (Now!)
Venom (Dark Avengers)
Black Widow (Modern)
Juggernaut (Classic)
Storm (Classic)

Really tough decisions in this game for who to keep I feel. Like, you might get a good hero from a reward but won't be able to use it in a team configuration unless you basically start from scratch levelling it again, and even still it might be forever until you find another cover to get the powers to be competitive enough to use instead of your basic heroes you have an abundance of covers for.

EDIT: And I really don't want to abandon Hawkeye. Being able to place a critical anywhere has saved my ass multiple times in pretty much every battle. At least I hope there are comparable powers out there.

shaowebb

New player here, but is it just me or does this game become a bit of a grind when you hit the 20s or so? I'm sort of sandwiched between AI battles being a bit too damaging if you get caught with the wrong initial board set up and quickly getting obliterated in PvP after making small headway trying to make up for the ISO-8 that's harder to get in SP.

Maybe it's my team set up, as I've been putting pretty much everything into only 3 characters. Been rolling with Iron Man (35), Storm (Modern) and Hawkeye (Classic). I think I'm at the point where I can't power through this any more. Any suggestions for what I should put my ISO-8 into at this point? I also have:
Black Widow (Grey)
Thor (Now!)
Hawkeye (Modern)
Magneto (Now!)
Venom (Dark Avengers)
Black Widow (Modern)
Juggernaut (Classic)
Storm (Classic)

Really tough decisions in this game for who to keep I feel. Like, you might get a good hero from a reward but won't be able to use it in a team configuration unless you basically start from scratch levelling it again, and even still it might be forever until you find another cover to get the powers to be competitive enough to use instead of your basic heroes you have an abundance of covers for.

EDIT: And I really don't want to abandon Hawkeye. Being able to place a critical anywhere has saved my ass multiple times in pretty much every battle. At least I hope there are comparable powers out there.
I know you dont want to get rid of Hawkeye but placing a crit isn't as powerful as how fast you can rack up straight up damage with healthier guys.

Ironman Storm is great. She feeds him and if you get her going on Green its pure gold. Thor would be my go to suggestion as he is a healthy, high damaging, battery but he is on the nerf list so I dont think he's a good call till we know more.

Out of your lineup the easiest tank I know of to wreck with is Juggernaut. His red and green go down to a cost of 6 each and he can hit for over a grand. equip an Ap plus to red and another of the all color and you can essentially cripple teams as a lvl 20 player if you are playing things within your range. Only nuisance is he plays better with Black Widow than your Storm/Ironman combo because he uses both the green she needs and the red they both need. He essentially makes Ironman just use his yellow all day. He doesn't battery but if you were just using Storm to clear tiles and not setup damage then he's fine to come aboard. Just take your pick of whether to use his green to smash or wait a few turns to go for her battery tile clearing move.

Juggernaut isn't a permanent solution though. He peaks at around level 40 as the damage he inflicts on himself with his red ability no longer is worth the tradeoff as teams become healthier and stop going down to just 1. At low level though he is a QUICK way to rack up some Wins and build up some good shit for the rest of your team.

Best alternative to Juggernaut then is either Black Widow or Venom depending on who you insist on keeping. Widow can stun for up to 5 turns and steal AP and she uses Blue and Pink which wont interfere with Ironman. She's a glass house though and since you have no battery some matches will still be problematic as her stun is amazing, but I have no idea if you can KO who you need in that time. If nothing else she gives you the health lead needed to close the gap so long as you dont put her in front or pop her tiles when you see the opponent is loaded with an ability about to fire...she cant take hits. Plus if you are using her for the stun that means Hank's blue wont be around to KO for you. She works but not with Hawkeye.

Venom is healthy, has a stun uses pink and black and can stun and the stun gets longer with each green web tile he makes. The green will fuel Storm and if he has enough his already strong as hell Devour black ability which is cheap will KO folks straigth up...which is rare but he still hits the 600+ damage at low levels fast.

My suggestion is try Juggernaut for quick wins, or Venom. Black Widow is boss even though I hate the bitch in comics. I sadly dont think Hawkeye should be your big focus though...there are others who have abilities that will stomp folks as well. Try a few teams. But those 3 are your best to level...Thor would be the top choice but again he is suspect till further notice.

Gotchaye

First, some generic advice that you might already have figured out. You can replay missions you've already beaten for the rewards; covers are particularly valuable. You can only ever apply 13 covers to a character; this is an issue for three-skill characters and you need to figure out how you want to build them. HP should be saved up and used for roster slots. Health packs regenerate at a rate of 1 per 35 minutes if you have fewer than 5.

If you're already doing that, you may just be in for a grind. I think at around that level I was abusing the missions where the game gives you a Spider-Man ally to heal up. Be sure you're using boosts liberally; you can only ever have 10 of a type and the game hands them out pretty often. The only boosts that are really valuable for something other than PvE missions are the +AP ones.

The main problem with your team is that you have no blue coverage in skills or damage and questionable black coverage in skills (depends what level Hailstorm and Storm are). Hawkeye is probably decent now, with lots of covers, although his abilities are expensive at lower levels. But you're right that level trumps most other factors, and you're unlikely to get use out of Grey Widow anytime soon (although it's a rare cover and you probably don't want to throw her out if you can help it). IM35/Storm/Widow is a pretty standard early team because they cover all the colors and offer pretty strong control.

IMO Modern Storm is easily the best 1* character overall and is the one you ought to be focusing on, if there's any way to get more covers. Her green and red skills become much, much better as you apply more covers to the character and let you turn small amounts of AP into lots of AP of other colors, multiplying what your other characters can do. She's the only one I have at level 50 and I was using her alongside 2* characters for quite a while. Widow is a very strong support character because her blue eventually stuns a character for 5 turns (and their teammates for 1).

Edit: Also, if you can keep up at all you ought to be trying your hand at the PvE event going on now. Don't worry about placement in the rankings, but you're likely to get pretty good rewards on new missions which appear (so far) every day with enemies that start out around level 20, and the game sometimes gives you an ally going in which is a lot stronger than what the basic enemies are (this event is such that the enemies get stronger the more missions you play).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I know you dont want to get rid of Hawkeye but placing a crit isn't as powerful as how fast you can rack up straight up damage with healthier guys.

Ironman Storm is great. She feeds him and if you get her going on Green its pure gold. Thor would be my go to suggestion as he is a healthy, high damaging, battery but he is on the nerf list so I dont think he's a good call till we know more.

Out of your lineup the easiest tank I know of to wreck with is Juggernaut. His red and green go down to a cost of 6 each and he can hit for over a grand. equip an Ap plus to red and another of the all color and you can essentially cripple teams as a lvl 20 player if you are playing things within your range. Only nuisance is he plays better with Black Widow than your Storm/Ironman combo because he uses both the green she needs and the red they both need. He essentially makes Ironman just use his yellow all day. He doesn't battery but if you were just using Storm to clear tiles and not setup damage then he's fine to come aboard. Just take your pick of whether to use his green to smash or wait a few turns to go for her battery tile clearing move.

Juggernaut isn't a permanent solution though. He peaks at around level 40 as the damage he inflicts on himself with his red ability no longer is worth the tradeoff as teams become healthier and stop going down to just 1. At low level though he is a QUICK way to rack up some Wins and build up some good shit for the rest of your team.

Best alternative to Juggernaut then is either Black Widow or Venom depending on who you insist on keeping. Widow can stun for up to 5 turns and steal AP and she uses Blue and Pink which wont interfere with Ironman. She's a glass house though and since you have no battery some matches will still be problematic as her stun is amazing, but I have no idea if you can KO who you need in that time. If nothing else she gives you the health lead needed to close the gap so long as you dont put her in front or pop her tiles when you see the opponent is loaded with an ability about to fire...she cant take hits. Plus if you are using her for the stun that means Hank's blue wont be around to KO for you. She works but not with Hawkeye.

Venom is healthy, has a stun uses pink and black and can stun and the stun gets longer with each green web tile he makes. The green will fuel Storm and if he has enough his already strong as hell Devour black ability which is cheap will KO folks straigth up...which is rare but he still hits the 600+ damage at low levels fast.

My suggestion is try Juggernaut for quick wins, or Venom. Black Widow is boss even though I hate the bitch in comics. I sadly dont think Hawkeye should be your big focus though...there are others who have abilities that will stomp folks as well. Try a few teams. But those 3 are your best to level...Thor would be the top choice but again he is suspect till further notice.
Yeah I sort of looked towards Iron Man as fulfilling a lot of roles. He just can pump damage through three different colours (Yellow not as efficient as it is for say, Thor, but still), be a bit of a tank and all, but I figured I might want to specialize my team more, at least for the time being. I might just invest in Juggernaut for the time being but I'd rather have a long term solution so I'll look at Venom. I'm not necessarily attached to any of these characters (function over form!) but I do want to be efficient. I'll take what you said into consideration. Iron Man/Storm/Venom seems like it would give me a lot of options.

Which Black Widow are you referring to specifically BTW? Modern?

First, some generic advice that you might already have figured out. You can replay missions you've already beaten for the rewards; covers are particularly valuable. You can only ever apply 13 covers to a character; this is an issue for three-skill characters and you need to figure out how you want to build them. HP should be saved up and used for roster slots. Health packs regenerate at a rate of 1 per 35 minutes if you have fewer than 5.

If you're already doing that, you may just be in for a grind. I think at around that level I was abusing the missions where the game gives you a Spider-Man ally to heal up. Be sure you're using boosts liberally; you can only ever have 10 of a type and the game hands them out pretty often. The only boosts that are really valuable for something other than PvE missions are the +AP ones.

The main problem with your team is that you have no blue coverage in skills or damage and questionable black coverage in skills (depends what level Hailstorm and Storm are). Hawkeye is probably decent now, with lots of covers, although his abilities are expensive at lower levels. But you're right that level trumps most other factors, and you're unlikely to get use out of Grey Widow anytime soon (although it's a rare cover and you probably don't want to throw her out if you can help it). IM35/Storm/Widow is a pretty standard early team because they cover all the colors and offer pretty strong control.

IMO Modern Storm is easily the best 1* character overall and is the one you ought to be focusing on, if there's any way to get more covers. Her green and red skills become much, much better as you apply more covers to the character and let you turn small amounts of AP into lots of AP of other colors, multiplying what your other characters can do. She's the only one I have at level 50 and I was using her alongside 2* characters for quite a while. Widow is a very strong support character because her blue eventually stuns a character for 5 turns (and their teammates for 1).

Edit: Also, if you can keep up at all you ought to be trying your hand at the PvE event going on now. Don't worry about placement in the rankings, but you're likely to get pretty good rewards on new missions which appear (so far) every day with enemies that start out around level 20, and the game sometimes gives you an ally going in which is a lot stronger than what the basic enemies are (this event is such that the enemies get stronger the more missions you play).
Are you sure about the replaying for cards thing? I always assumed you couldn't because it would be easy to farm Hero Points. In fact after reading this I just redid one mission to try and get more Hawkeye cards and it gave me 20 ISO each of the 7 times. Didn't know you could only have 10 of the boosts (I'm the type that will usually hoard stuff until I absolutely need it) so I'll make sure to make use of them then.

Iron Man has a blue power that does decent damage, it just takes a lot of AP. I sort of slept on Storm's red and built it around black to get that extra punch every time I hit, the damage for red didn't seem too crazy or worthwhile when you have Iron Man's red doing straight 300+ damage. Will look into a respec, now that you describe the advantages.

- - -

Random extra note, but this game is actually really, really well made. Menus, toggles, everything have really well made touch contacts and everything. The UI is super slick and really does make me want to play it more because of how painless it is for me to do what I want to do.

Yeah, this has been a feature of their rubber-banding for a while now. With The Hunt event you wanted to be hitting the 1000 point missions before the 200 point ones.

Worked like a charm.

Basically, when the map is opened, check the mission with more points. Finish it. Go out and enter again to get sure the scores are updated, repeat. Don't do a mission with 1 score and don't push too much the rubberbanding repeating the missions until they give 1 point.

I'm now first, 538 (the second has 471). And I don't have any mission on 1 point. All of them are between 15 (the mafia ones) and 30. There has been one of them that costed me 3 tries. Dakken at 230, even if you start with AP boosters, is simply luck. If you can't kill Dakken on time, you're screwed. And, even if I died 3 times, the level wasn't lowered.

Askani

I haven't been paying much attention, so when am I supposed to play these new events? As soon as possible? Should I not be grinding all of the last level missions? Two end missions now for the current event, the enemies are all 230...and I have to use my under leveled OBW or Spiderman. This will be super frustrating if this is the norm from now own.

It's really feeling like the rich get richer with the game at this point. I'm now to where I don't feel like I can compete without spending money, and I'm not spending money. Well, not at the rate they want me to spend it. Eight or nine dollars, or whatever the conversion is, is too much for one cover level.

Gotchaye

Are you sure about the replaying for cards thing? I always assumed you couldn't because it would be easy to farm Hero Points. In fact after reading this I just redid one mission to try and get more Hawkeye cards and it gave me 20 ISO each of the 7 times. Didn't know you could only have 10 of the boosts (I'm the type that will usually hoard stuff until I absolutely need it) so I'll make sure to make use of them then.

Iron Man has a blue power that does decent damage, it just takes a lot of AP. I sort of slept on Storm's red and built it around black to get that extra punch every time I hit, the damage for red didn't seem too crazy or worthwhile when you have Iron Man's red doing straight 300+ damage. Will look into a respec, now that you describe the advantages.

Oh, you're right about IM35 - my mistake. It's still not nearly as useful of a skill as Modern Widow's blue, but your team composition isn't going to be the problem.

It's the replaying thing. Yes, I'm sure you can replay missions for rewards. However, whereas you're guaranteed one of the nice rewards on your first win, you only have a chance at them on later wins. But it's still the best way to get particular things that you really need, and a streak of 7 20 ISO rewards is rare. HP rewards are valuable, obviously, but early on what's most valuable is finding missions with cover rewards that you particularly need and grinding all of them out.

Yeah I sort of looked towards Iron Man as fulfilling a lot of roles.

The problem of Iron Man blue is that you nearly never will find (in prologue) enemies with enought life to use the stun. They will be killed by the attack.

Are you sure about the replaying for cards thing? I always assumed you couldn't because it would be easy to farm Hero Points. In fact after reading this I just redid one mission to try and get more Hawkeye cards and it gave me 20 ISO each of the 7 times.

The missions have 4 different rewards. You can check it when you select the mission (you can check, also, what rewards have you got). So, when you win, you get a random reward, that can be one of the four. If you already got that reward, you'll get 20 ISO, instead. So sometimes you need to replay a lot of times a mission to get a the last of the rewards. Obviously, when you'll get the four rewards, you only can get 20 ISO for each time that you repeat.

I haven't been paying much attention, so when am I supposed to play these new events? As soon as possible? Should I not be grinding all of the last level missions? Two end missions now for the current event, the enemies are all 230...and I have to use my under leveled OBW or Spiderman. This will be super frustrating if this is the norm from now own.

It's really feeling like the rich get richer with the game at this point. I'm now to where I don't feel like I can compete without spending money, and I'm not spending money. Well, not at the rate they want me to spend it. Eight or nine dollars, or whatever the conversion is, is too much for one cover level.

I've been waiting about four hours each Sub. It's gotten me in pretty super brackets so far. I'm in the top ten in mine with no wins in the two hardest and still a few matches I can do for a second time (in my second refresh wave) I also timed it so I'll have about twenty minutes before the end to do a third set of matches in a final refresh. I doubt it will get me a Patch but last Sub I got three Heroics, one of which got me an IW. ;}

I also got beat enough times that the second to last fight is down to like 145, which is potentially winnable. So between now and 3:30 I plan to try that one, and then finish off the last of the second matches before a last minute push of the middle three fights, all beatable.

So I'd say time it to the longest you can wait before three doable refreshes. Since they seem to now be lasting 26 hours and you can only do two before it drops to 1, it's actually not too bad.

Army of one, on the other hand, has been a disaster. Clawed my way through a ton of losses just to hit 250 (which got me, yay, and Ares I don't need). I fucking hate PVP most of the time. Also can't wait for the nerf, as I was cycling through literally dozens of Pun/Thor/Wolv where the latter two were maxed and only Franks level changed. Unfun.

shaowebb

Yeah I sort of looked towards Iron Man as fulfilling a lot of roles. He just can pump damage through three different colours (Yellow not as efficient as it is for say, Thor, but still), be a bit of a tank and all, but I figured I might want to specialize my team more, at least for the time being. I might just invest in Juggernaut for the time being but I'd rather have a long term solution so I'll look at Venom. I'm not necessarily attached to any of these characters (function over form!) but I do want to be efficient. I'll take what you said into consideration. Iron Man/Storm/Venom seems like it would give me a lot of options.

Which Black Widow are you referring to specifically BTW? Modern?

The modern one who has the aggressive recon and then the blue stun as her abilities. Fishnets and Grey suit are fine, but I specifically was referring to the widow that is constantly appearing in the prologue as a drop.

- - -

Random extra note, but this game is actually really, really well made. Menus, toggles, everything have really well made touch contacts and everything. The UI is super slick and really does make me want to play it more because of how painless it is for me to do what I want to do.
Ironman's blue is awesome, does high damage and can stun, but its main purpose (at least for me) was always the damage. If I was playing a heavy board control team of stuff like Storm, Thor or even Juggernaut's green meant for clearing massive tiles I'd just hang out until he got it. Long term though its not something to depend on as you can grab AP boosts before a match to boost much stronger tools in other characters and have better play. For example, boosting Thor's yellow at the start is always advisable and is more useful than the Ironman Blue IMO. Its a great move, dont get me wrong, but it shouldn't be your go to damage attack due to its cost. Its best to have him as an all arounder and use a cheaper high damage tank for your damage. Your Venom will do fine for that since you want to rock him so AP boosts should likely go to your Storm or Venom...in all Honesty Storm is the one on your team to boost because once she gets going she almost completely self sustaining on fueling your whole team with a ton of AP for their abilities.

The thing to remember about Storm, since you went all attack on her, is that the attack tiles are not her main tool...its the fact that she can clear a lot of the board's tiles cheaply and get AP while doing it. This means that if you can get her red or green abilities loaded and ready to fire that in the long run she does MORE DAMAGE using those than just death by papercuts black tiles. For example, she pops a bunch of stuff and it does damage per tile...plus you get cascades a LOT and it pops enemy strike tiles, countdown tiles, webtiles, etc, and all the while it builds AP. That means in one turn you potentially gimped their longterm board strategies, you did a pretty sweet amount of damage, potentially got an extra turn+crit if anything fell just right, and you got enough AP in most cases to do ANOTHER ability all before you ever used up your turn!

A properly timed Red or Green from Storm can create a battery scenario in some instances where she can insure her team fires off 3 to 4 abilities before she ever has to move anything on the board and use up her turn. Build her for MASSIVE green/red moments in covers and in AP. She is you battery and is likely the best 1 star in the game.

Plus remember...if you have Venom that black you use with her is far better spent with Venom for bigger damage. Use Storm to feed Ironman/Venom and use them for damage,

So I'd say time it to the longest you can wait before three doable refreshes. Since they seem to now be lasting 26 hours and you can only do two before it drops to 1, it's actually not too bad.

Yep, I realized that if you wait, the score of the missions go up... except if they are at 1.

I got surpassed by someone that came from nowhere, and climbed up to 804. I'm still on 692, and I don't have enought points left to reach 800 (even if I optimized the scores). I suppose that this guy only played the 2 starting missions and then waited 20 hours to make grow the missions score to the top, and played them optimizing the points even better than me.

I hate when the best practice to win is to wait.

shaowebb

Yep, I realized that if you wait, the score of the missions go up... except if they are at 1.

I got surpassed by someone that came from nowhere, and climbed up to 804. I'm still on 692, and I don't have enought points left to reach 800 (even if I optimized the scores). I suppose that this guy only played the 2 starting missions and then waited 20 hours to make grow the missions score to the top, and played them optimizing the points even better than me.

As I learned from the Ares event, patience is the only way to do well in these tourneys. Play enough to open up a few routes and then play the last 2 hours of the event. Otherwise you reach the end of the points possible and are left at the mercy of the countdown clock slowly eroding all your points as folks continue to climb in late.

hamchan

Yeah I've also learnt to not bother playing the game until the final hours of an event. With rubber banding in PvE, I just do those near the end instead of grinding constantly for minimal points, and with the constant attacks in PvP requiring the need for a shield, I just do the event 3 hours out from the end so I can just buy the cheapest shield.

It's pretty poor game design when the best course of action is to not play the game for most of the time.

Chucker

I just started this, 3 hours ago. I'm digging it so far, even though I didn't like the Dark Reign event in the comics. Time to study up and see what people are using. I saw a few recs for Juggernaut up til 40 and he was one of the characters I got for "free", along with Astonishing Wolverine.

Dropped $4.99 to get a few more characters and ended up with a level 30 Invisible Woman (Modern), so she's been my ringer so to speak.

Edit: What exactly does the facebook link do for me? Want to know before making a fake account. Thanks!

w2000

Yeah I've also learnt to not bother playing the game until the final hours of an event. With rubber banding in PvE, I just do those near the end instead of grinding constantly for minimal points, and with the constant attacks in PvP requiring the need for a shield, I just do the event 3 hours out from the end so I can just buy the cheapest shield.

It's pretty poor game design when the best course of action is to not play the game for most of the time.

Definitely going to try this for the next event. For PVP I noticed that when I didn't start playing until like a couple of hours before, it will throw me into a new pool. If one were to do it late enough, they wouldn't need to do a lot to get to the top. I think the facebook integration for mobile allows for people to send items from time to time.

Gotchaye

Ugh. I really want a green Patch from this sub-event that just ended. I ended in first, but only by 9 points. A second place finish isn't worth much since I don't want more than 3 covers in his red anyway. But if I do get this green, then he'll be maxed out after Army of One finishes up. Waiting impatiently.

ToxicAdam

Hah.. Came up just short of first again. This time by 4 points.

I have to heavily rely on Spider-Man which makes the battles last looong,

NomarTyme

Ugh. I really want a green Patch from this sub-event that just ended. I ended in first, but only by 9 points. A second place finish isn't worth much since I don't want more than 3 covers in his red anyway. But if I do get this green, then he'll be maxed out after Army of One finishes up. Waiting impatiently.

So what is your build?

Gotchaye

So what is your build?

3/3/3 now, aiming for 5/3/5. My thinking is that the yellow is too good to pass up, and there are all kinds of advantages to not needing to keep 10 yellow tiles on the board to heal. Level 5 yellow made a huge difference for 2* Wolverine and his only required 8 tiles.

It's harder to weigh the green and red, since they're bugged now. But I lean towards the green because it's a more general-purpose skill and is cheaper. The red is a skill that you really need to build a team around and need to play very carefully to take advantage of. You don't get much out of it if Patch is only matching one or two colors, and you don't get much out of it if Patch has been doing a lot of matching (reducing the number of tiles on the board with his color), so it restricts the choice of teammates for him and also means that you don't get that much out of his healing (since he won't be in front as often). By contrast, the green only requires that you be able to deal with the purple strike tiles, which is feasible, I think. The green being cheaper than the red also means that you're very likely to be able to use the green before the red, so when thinking about how leveling the red increases its damage it makes sense to consider the impact of the strike tiles from the green.

Still haven't received awards for the last sub-event.

Edit: And there we go. First place! 4/3/4 and will probably be 5/3/5 after Army of One wraps up. I guess now I'm either angling for a bunch of Heroic Tokens or shooting for Daredevils.

Hah.. Came up just short of first again. This time by 4 points.

I have to heavily rely on Spider-Man which makes the battles last looong,

I saw on the official forums, and someone mentioned here, that losing battles makes enemy levels go down. I found this really helpful in the last hour, just loading up one of the missions where it gives you a Patch ally, sending in the default Patch and some level 1-6 trash characters, and retreating. Possibly this is better for the PC version, since I can do that about 20 times in a minute.

Top Bottom