• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

w2000

Doin' okay for now. I've had an absolute shitload of work and college lately but the decay rate on your rank is very low for this. I'm still 28 and I got Storm up to lvl 40 now. Went ahead and used the yellow cover it gave me for progression. I was going to build 5/5/3 but as rough as this tourney is a 5/4/4 sounds cool given the extra shots it'll net me. I should probably go and put some more levels on Widow. Running Ironman/Widow/Classic Storm is actually working out better than my 1 cover daredevil who I was using just to absorb hits since in a pinch I can steal a decent chunk of AP or go for blue stuns early. Damage is the name of the game so I try to hold off for Storm's stun since it hits so hard, but vs heavy tile oriented teams its nice to have that either/or setup in play.

Not doin' bad. I'll get at least the second level of red covers for this. Does that mean I get 1 or 2 covers if I do that?

I think it's one cover, the only difference is how much iso-8 and HP you will get. Would be nice if it was multiple covers too.

My best characters that are buffed in the new Lighting Rounds are Hulk and Patch. And they're incompatible characters. Green patch attack put your strike tiles on green, and hulk create green when hitted, eating your strike tiles, but keeping the enemy ones on the board. Also, patch has to be your biggest hitter. If you have a higher level Punisher or Hulk, the red skill won't do too much damage.

Green patch attack seems very shitty. Your strike tiles should be more powerful than the enemy ones or, at least, put your strike tiles on purple and enemy ones on green, because green combinations are matched faster than purple ones. Also, you'll want to match green, to use the power again.

zulux21

My best characters that are buffed in the new Lighting Rounds are Hulk and Patch. And they're incompatible characters. Green patch attack put your strike tiles on green, and hulk create green when hitted, eating your strike tiles, but keeping the enemy ones on the board. Also, patch has to be your biggest hitter. If you have a higher level Punisher or Hulk, the red skill won't do too much damage.

Green patch attack seems very shitty. Your strike tiles should be more powerful than the enemy ones or, at least, put your strike tiles on purple and enemy ones on green, because green combinations are matched faster than purple ones. Also, you'll want to match green, to use the power again.

the green patch move just requires a little bit of lining up before using.
A. use a character that makes use of purple.
B. leave a match or two of purple on the board before you use the move.

with any luck most of the tiles will end up on the match and you will clear most of their strike tiles before they get a move.

the green patch move just requires a little bit of lining up before using.
A. use a character that makes use of purple.
B. leave a match or two of purple on the board before you use the move.

with any luck most of the tiles will end up on the match and you will clear most of their strike tiles before they get a move.

Yep, but the "default" skills is not good for you, even neutral, is better for the enemy. And you have to prepare special conditions to make it "good". But, yes, Spiderman is the perfect match for Patch. Use purple and blue, and yellow (that is passive for Patch).

shaowebb

I think it's one cover, the only difference is how much iso-8 and HP you will get. Would be nice if it was multiple covers too.

Yeah. It'd get a bit OP though if we could just roll in around 5 covers for maxing the event I guess. Still...a guy can dream ;)

zulux21

is it sad that I shielded myself with 30 seconds to go in the lightning round just because I was afraid of those last 30 seconds knocking me out of a top 25 lol?

Anilones

I'm really enjoying PvP more since the recent changes to Thor (who is still brilliant) and Wolverine, and especially due to the apparent tweaking on matchmaking. I'm currently #3 and shielded in my bracket and was constantly put against teams with similar levels as mine.

The only negative I can think is the double price of shields, but I have paid 200 HP and will get at least two Hood covers and a refund of 100 HP. Along with the 50 HP I won during progression, I've paid 50 HP for at least two 3* covers, all of which I need and want. I won't use shields in all rounds, but for the right covers, they are actually pretty well priced.

Gotchaye

I find that the damage boost you get out of Patch's green lets you end fights before you take too much damage. Patch's regen lets you trade matches with the AI indefinitely, and when you get enough AP saved up you can take out everybody. Some characters work better than others as teammates for him, but anybody with damaging skills is welcome. For example, I was just up against an 85 Ares / 110ish Patch / 100ish Hulk team with my 129 Patch / 91 Hood / 85 OBW team. I traded matches for a while and saved up some green, and eventually Ares was at low HP while all of my guys were near full. I stole some AP with Aggressive Recon and then killed Ares outright with the green, dropped the 6-7k HP Hulk with Patch's red, two of Hood's blacks, and Hood's yellow, causing a cascade that took out 2k HP from Patch too. Then I matched Patch to death using OBW's Espionage.

Hulk is also a pretty strong ally for Patch because he gives you more green. Yes, he can match your own strike tiles, but you get three benefits out of him doing that. First, you're getting boosted matches which are dealing more than a thousand damage each. Second, you're getting more green AP to lay down more strike tiles. Third, you're putting more green tiles on the board to hold strike tiles.

ToxicAdam

I love fighting against a high level Patch with my Spidey. I wait for him to throw down his strike tiles and then I stunlock the team and chew through them quickly.

I'm going to miss Spidey when they nerf him. RIP

Gotchaye

It's not exactly the highest sort of pleasure, but I love watching the leaderboards at the end of the tournaments as people decide that they want to try to overtake my score and steal first, start making some progress, and then get knocked down to below where they were when they unshielded.

animus82

Banned
I love fighting against a high level Patch with my Spidey. I wait for him to throw down his strike tiles and then I stunlock the team and chew through them quickly.

I'm going to miss Spidey when they nerf him. RIP

I swear to my dogs man.

My own Patch has back fired on me many times. It's almost a better idea to take in Daken because you know he'll never betray you.

This event is terrible. All the enemies are insanely overpowered. Not to mention the limited roster is made up of low HP characters with very little abilities when it comes to hitting countdown tiles. I'm at a point where they buffed all the enemies and it refuses to make them manageable again, even though I've only died the past three days in a row. Guess you need Daredevil to actually make progress here, or I'm just getting screwed with the leveling system.

I'm also burning out hard on PvP. It takes forever to get a decent reward for playing and then you're knocked down hard in an instant. And you know something is wrong when you have a large cast of characters and 90% of them are rolling Thor/OBW. I'm even forced to use that combo because nothing else compares. I like to keep a range of well leveled characters I can mix up, but it looks like Min-Maxing those two is the only way to win. Even my four star characters are useless, which is a real bummer.

Oh well. I had a lot of fun playing over the past couple of months. But I should probably sit out playing for a while because it's just frustrating these days.

zulux21

This event is terrible. All the enemies are insanely overpowered. Not to mention the limited roster is made up of low HP characters with very little abilities when it comes to hitting countdown tiles. I'm at a point where they buffed all the enemies and it refuses to make them manageable again, even though I've only died the past three days in a row. Guess you need Daredevil to actually make progress here, or I'm just getting screwed with the leveling system.

I'm also burning out hard on PvP. It takes forever to get a decent reward for playing and then you're knocked down hard in an instant. And you know something is wrong when you have a large cast of characters and 90% of them are rolling Thor/OBW. I'm even forced to use that combo because nothing else compares. I like to keep a range of well leveled characters I can mix up, but it looks like Min-Maxing those two is the only way to win. Even my four star characters are useless, which is a real bummer.

Oh well. I had a lot of fun playing over the past couple of months. But I should probably sit out playing for a while because it's just frustrating these days.
my current go to team is punisher/patch/2 star widow I am planning to do a thor/storm (one of the two)/window combo once I can actually get some more green on my storms. just for the fun of it though.

Dispatch

I really expect Thor/Storm/OBW to be nerfed at some point. Once I get going, I don't even need to make matches anymore. Storm's green fills either OBW's pink or Thor's Yellow, which then fills Storm's green, and away we go.

Of course, I'm super vulnerable to attack with Storm's low amount of hit points. Maybe that's what the devs consider balanced, but who really knows?

Anilones

I really expect Thor/Storm/OBW to be nerfed at some point. Once I get going, I don't even need to make matches anymore. Storm's green fills either OBW's pink or Thor's Yellow, which then fills Storm's green, and away we go.

Of course, I'm super vulnerable to attack with Storm's low amount of hit points. Maybe that's what the devs consider balanced, but who really knows?

It's expect that it won't be nerfed as it depends on a level 50 maximum character. If Storm was 2*, then a nerf would likely be expected.

hamchan

Probably yes. That's an extremely easy team to kill since Storm and OBW are squishy.

:(

I was half asleep last night and sold my red Daredevil right after I got it. I couldn't believe it. I felt sick afterwards. I had a huge list of trash covers to bust through and accidentally rolled right through it. Holy shit I still can't believe it. I spent the last week making sure I stayed in the top 25 of that crappy event.

shaowebb

I was half asleep last night and sold my red Daredevil right after I got it. I couldn't believe it. I felt sick afterwards. I had a huge list of trash covers to bust through and accidentally rolled right through it. Holy shit I still can't believe it. I spent the last week making sure I stayed in the top 25 of that crappy event.

Ouch....I am so sorry. That red cover is the main one to have too. I got mine and the thing I can advise is TRAIN FIRST. SELL SECOND. Thats it. Never just sweep. That is a horrible habit and you see the results. Train first....then sell. ALWAYS. In fact go to roster, click the character. Dont even go into the cover listing until you do it this way to avoid risk.

DAMN, OBW is NASTY.

She brought down three buffed duders at like 4-5000 just by draining AP then Anti-Grav, over and over and over until she wore down the whole damn team.

Need to post up MN Mags against her.

Contact cs. Might require persistence, but people have received compensation for less.

Probably yes. That's an extremely easy team to kill since Storm and OBW are squishy.
Obw is not squishy. She's about the same as Wolvie.

hamchan

Obw is not squishy. She's about the same as Wolvie.

She absolutely is. 3k is not a lot of HP when you're playing in the lvl 85+ league and the AI isn't smart enough to target blues to use the healing to offset the low hp. Basically her healing ability should be a non-factor the majority of the time since teams should be targeting her first or second in teams with a Storm.

She's still worth using in every team since her offensive abilities are crazy. I'll be very sad when they eventually nerf her.

Astonishing Wolverine might be considered a bit squishy too since his new healing factor sucks.

What is "squishy"?

A hero with low hp and dies very quickly if focused upon.

shaowebb

What is "squishy"?

Low health character that is high in utility IMO. Folk target the hell out of widows first on teams since she drops fast and without her many teams become mortal. Same with Storm though she has teeth to fight back what with her toolset...especially classic with her yellow.

BTW, I've been playing low level prologue stuff to test teams I haven't leveled. Magneto Classic and Daredevil is GOOD. Daredevil keeps putting red tiles on the board with his red cover and Magneto is cheap and powerful with his red ability costing so little. Very damaging team. Since they are the only ones doing anything I put passive Bullseye in back to load up protect tiles. Its fair, but he'd drop too easy. He needs a bit of a buff IMO. Health is sketchy since he protects passively, but takes it full force from abilities. Maybe he should have a small self only battery for his black skill that costs like 8 of a color and does some damage?

Ares and Thor are the only 2-stars who have significantly more health than obw in the meta. Cap and Moonstone are the only other two, but they aren't really part of the meta. Sure she's squishy compared to max 3-stars (lvl85 Spidey has roughly the same health), but I'm not sure that's a fair comparison.

zulux21

I really hope the next PVE doesn't have the stupid level scaling they have been using for the last two events... I mean it's so screwed up that I am tempted to start a new save on my laptop so I have a chance of doing something in PVE because of the scaling it would be much easier for me to compete that way then with my save that has a ton of time on it :/

my current go to team is punisher/patch/2 star widow I am planning to do a thor/storm (one of the two)/window combo once I can actually get some more green on my storms. just for the fun of it though.

I got patch to ~40, and haven't been lucky enough to get many Punisher Mags. I really want to level my Spidy or Magneto, but again, haven't been getting many mags for them.

On a side note, I wanted to see how much my Wolveriene is worth. He was probably in his mid 50's and sold for (maybe) 15,000 ISO and 400 hero points! My higher level 3 star characters aren't even worth a third of that.

ToxicAdam

Half of my losses (or near losses) have come to OBW teams.

If she is paired with a Spider-Man or a Hood, I sometimes choose to focus on them first which allows her to gain purples if the AI gets some cascades. Then she starts denying AP, healing and feeding the AP to the bigger damage dealers and they start taking out key members of my team.

She's like a 2 star Modern Storm. Not scary by herself, but if you ignore her she can cause you to get in a big hole.

On a side note, I wanted to see how much my Wolveriene is worth. He was probably in his mid 50's and sold for (maybe) 15,000 ISO and 400 hero points! My higher level 3 star characters aren't even worth a third of that.

The devs artificially boosted his selling price to make up for the nerfing they had to do to him. Same with Thor.

No word on how long that will last, probably not much longer.

Dispatch

In addition, I'm fairly frustrated with the lack of events right now. I sold my Wolverine and don't have a Patch, so I'm pretty stuck for anything to play, unless I just want to get beat on.

In addition, I'm fairly frustrated with the lack of events right now. I sold my Wolverine and don't have a Patch, so I'm pretty stuck for anything to play, unless I just want to get beat on.

I didn't connected in the last 48 hours (only one prologue mission each day, to get the daily reward) and I feel goooood.

I'll keep looking for new events, but I'm definetively over on PVP and losing hours of sleep until they change the ISO ratio.

hamchan

Ares and Thor are the only 2-stars who have significantly more health than obw in the meta. Cap and Moonstone are the only other two, but they aren't really part of the meta. Sure she's squishy compared to max 3-stars (lvl85 Spidey has roughly the same health), but I'm not sure that's a fair comparison.

It's a fair comparison because it's not like the game locks your matches into star tiers. 4 stars are able to play 1 star characters and vice versa, so they can all be compared with each other and ranked.

Gotchaye

I think 3 of the last 4 PvP events have had a yellow Invisible Woman as the top prize, which is irritating. If they repeat the Thor tournament after this one, which seems a little likely, it'll be 4 out of 5.

Davidion

Wooo, sold my 40-50s Wolverine and Thor. Short on characters but I now have 25k iso and 5 empty slots.

And now, back to the grind.

shaowebb

DAREDEVIL COMBO CHALLENGE:

Try to come up with the most effective Daredevil team possible.

Im starting to find that teams that use red do well with him because after about 2 uses of his red ability you start to stay safely tucked into a supply of red at all times if you just pop your own trap tiles. I wanna see what other folks can do with this. His purple sets up environmental tiles. Dont have his other cover to test his last trap tile and its economics sadly...

Anyhow, lets try to make some new teams or something other than a Thor, Spidey, Storm or OBW loaded team in honor of this new and interesting dude's mechanics. If it turns out one of the 4 utlities titans is his best friend then its nothing special as they work with everyone so try to be less tried and true here. I'm starting to find good things from Daredevil Magneto even at only 1 red cover.

Lets make some new team combos to try out.Hoping to create another combo as fun as Storm/Thor.

animus82

Banned
So no PVE event?

I AM not paying 300 HP for another bull shit tourney. Fool me once.

Also the DD tourney doesn't get you DD covers. I guess If you really want to use Doctor D. Second tier... Moon stone? Forget all that man.

They are really letting their fans down.

ToxicAdam

Maybe a PvE event will drop tommorow. A 6 day rerun of an old event wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

But this will be the first time I will sit out of all events over the weekend. Not doing the Elite event and have no desire to waste ISO on DD to make him competitive. I think he's the worst 3 star character.

Gotchaye

So I guess the first Elite tournament was a success for them? They've rejiggered the top prizes, which are even more appealing now, but the achievable prizes still don't seem to be worth the time you'd have to spend to get them. Oh well. This is what Bravely Default is for.

So I guess the first Elite tournament was a success for them? They've rejiggered the top prizes, which are even more appealing now, but the achievable prizes still don't seem to be worth the time you'd have to spend to get them. Oh well. This is what Bravely Default is for.

Yeah that's maybe the best top prize ever for the person who literally needs it least.

I tried to mix things up before I completely gave up and sold off my Wolverine and Thor to maybe respec them later on and buff up some other characters. Had a lot of hero points in the process and entered this tourney.

I'm really bummed there aren't any prizes as you work your way up. I figured that would at least make it worth trying since getting the top spots on something like this will probably be impossible for me. And it's over 3 days long?!

I have buyers remorse.

animus82

Banned
I tried to mix things up before I completely gave up and sold off my Wolverine and Thor to maybe respec them later on and buff up some other characters. Had a lot of hero points in the process and entered this tourney.

I'm really bummed there aren't any prizes as you work your way up. I figured that would at least make it worth trying since getting the top spots on something like this will probably be impossible for me. And it's over 3 days long?!

I have buyers remorse.

Don't worry, you're in good company. I had buyers remorse from the last one.

I couldn't even compete unlike you.

zulux21

so... against all odds they listened to people about the skip tax... and instead made something that mostly will reward people.. (you still won't be able to skip a crap ton without paying, but at least it's not just a pure tax)

This bonus will start at a peak and lower each time Skip is used until the Agent is finally being charged a small (capped) amount for continued use of the function. It is believed that Agents will be incentivized to earn extra Iso in addition to the normal 70/140 rewards that are available for each victory. The Victory Bonus is reset after every match, so even if an Agent ends up wanting to skip a couple of times for one match up, they will still be able to take advantage of the bonus Iso for the next match that they come into.

As a summary of what this will look like with R48:
- The Victory Bonus begins at +30 Iso for a win
- The bonus lowers by 10 Iso per Skip
- The bonus disappears at 0, then caps out at -10 Iso per skip after additional skips
- The bonus returns to +30 Iso after the match is completed, win or lose
- The Victory Bonus is only gained if the Agent is successful in their matchup

The intended effects of this change:
- Agents will skip less often due to the likelihood of increased Iso gain
- Agents will fight other teams that are more balanced to their current matchmaking scores instead of skipping until they can find weaker Agents to cherry pick
- Agents will begin falling more in line with others they *should* be matched up against as they are not winning against cakewalks all the time and raising their rating when they would otherwise be facing a challenging team
- Being attacked multiple times by other Agents will decrease as Agents are incentivized to fight who they're matched against instead of picking someone "below" them, which multiple attack recipients often are.
- As Agents get used to this system, they'll be gaining more Iso per battle overall.

so... against all odds they listened to people about the skip tax... and instead made something that mostly will reward people.. (you still won't be able to skip a crap ton without paying, but at least it's not just a pure tax)

I don't skip to get easier fights (mostly), I skip to fight people for more than 15 measly points. Do you think this will fix that at all? Or am I going to get punished for trying to find a fight that's actually worth winning? I don't quite know the details of PVP to know if this will be helpful or not.

zulux21

I don't skip to get easier fights (mostly), I skip to fight people for more than 15 measly points. Do you think this will fix that at all? Or am I going to get punished for trying to find a fight that's actually worth winning? I don't quite know the details of PVP to know if this will be helpful or not.

you will likely still have to skip a decent amount, but as long as you are willing to deal with a battle worth less than 15 between every 3 skips you wouldn't lose iso with the new system.

Top Bottom