• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

nah... my second match went from the 90s which might have been possible to 161 which likely isn't possible for my team of level 50-60s.
another match went from the 40s to the high 70s...

I think a few matches in normal went higher (for example one of my matches in normal is in the 120s but since it's the one with the bomb placers it's not a big deal) but it's still doable.

I never had any real plans to beat hard, I know my team isn't good enough... but unlike last night now I can't really do anything in hard, where before I could do some of the intro missions.

I'm around the same levels and was able to clear the board yesterday (just barely). But yeah, today it's not looking good. I did manage to land in the 30s and there's been very little movement all day, so I think I ended up okay...

zulux21

Okay, Psylocke might be my favorite newcomer. She's great with Doom.
you talk like you have played with her, but i am not sure how you could have o_O;
I'm around the same levels and was able to clear the board yesterday (just barely). But yeah, today it's not looking good. I did manage to land in the 30s and there's been very little movement all day, so I think I ended up okay...

I don't have a good battery team, my storms are missing a few covers :/
I been pushing through with a 60 patch, 60 widow, and what ever third character is forced on me, or currently a boosted classic storm that is level 50 as her blue move is still fun even with missing covers.

you talk like you have played with her, but i am not sure how you could have o_O;

I been pushing through with a 60 patch, 60 widow, and what ever third character is forced on me, or currently a boosted classic storm that is level 50 as her blue move is still fun even with missing covers.

My Go Tos are a 60 Ares, a 60 Marvel Now Mags, and a 53 Patch.

zulux21

My Go Tos are a 60 Ares, a 60 Marvel Now Mags, and a 53 Patch.

neither of my Mags are any good.
I think I have 3 covers on both of them, and that is all the more I have ever seen.
I blame captain america.... even without captain being rewards from events and what not... from tokens (recruit or specialty ones that he has been in) I have gotten at least enough red captain covers to have 10 of him in my roster maxed on red @_@ and likely enough to have 3 or 4 maxed captains in general...

god I hate captain so much @_@.

BlackJace

No no I'm was looking at her stats. I've been looking for someone who can team with my Doom (was thinking of selling), but I think I've found that spot now.

I did sound over zealous now that I think about it lol.

Okay, Psylocke might be my favorite newcomer. She's great with Doom.
I'm not seeing the synergy. They have 2 overlaping colours and I doubt Psylocke's attack tiles will compare to Doom's 1100 attack tiles since that's his main draw. So you're gonna use her just for strike tiles. In which case, why not use Patch? Psylocke is more akin to Punisher, having the complete package in a standalone character. I'd say Patch+obw make good partners for Psylocke. Punisher, Doom, Psylocke have black abilities for attack tiles. Psylocke is unique in having red ability for strike tiles when it's traditionally green. I think any teamate with green will be a good compliment.

zulux21

No no I'm was looking at her stats. I've been looking for someone who can team with my Doom (was thinking of selling), but I think I've found that spot now.

I did sound over zealous now that I think about it lol.

she does look decently interesting.
to be fair daredevil looked interesting to me until I realized exactly how terrible his skills are lol (it would be easy to fix though, replace match with destroy and suddenly he is a lot better)

I wonder when I will have a chance to get them as I am not going to be placing high enough to get her this time (i am expecting around a 200 finish overall in my bracket) and I never had a chance with daredevil as both events for him were so screwed up for me that I never had a chance... I ended his event with a few thousand points, and the event right after that with like 160 points and in neither case could I do much better as everything was level 230 for me -_-

BlackJace

I'm not seeing the synergy. They have 2 overlaping colours and I doubt Psylocke's attack tiles will compare to Doom's 1100 attack tiles since that's his main draw. So you're gonna use her just for strike tiles. In which case, why not use Patch? Psylocke is more akin to Punisher, having the complete package in a standalone character. I'd say Patch+obw make good partners for Psylocke. Punisher, Doom, Psylocke have black abilities for attack tiles. Psylocke is unique in having red ability for strike tiles when it's traditionally green. I think any teamate with green will be a good compliment.

I guess I didn't think that much beyond Technopathic Strike and Psi Katana. If a Patch comes my way, I'll consider him too.

zulux21

yay, my levels went back down to only a little above where they were... using boosts I forced my way through and got the 5k iso reward from hard mode as well.

still so sexy to see that reward pop up.

Did really well in the double shot PvP, but it ended at an ungodly hour so I couldn't keep my place at #1. Still finally got some Daredevil covers.

I'm also having a tough time with the Daken/X-force Wolv fight. I can't figure out who I should take out first. My Loki is a huge help, but even he can't keep up with all the strike tiles.

yay, my levels went back down to only a little above where they were... using boosts I forced my way through and got the 5k iso reward from hard mode as well.

still so sexy to see that reward pop up.

Yeah, I think the best tactic is (next round) take down everything as early as you can for the first go around and then do your second refresh a while after it actually turns over and things have settled down a little.

zulux21

Did really well in the double shot PvP, but it ended at an ungodly hour so I couldn't keep my place at #1. Still finally got some Daredevil covers.

I'm also having a tough time with the Daken/X-force Wolv fight. I can't figure out who I should take out first. My Loki is a huge help, but even he can't keep up with all the strike tiles.

my team for that fight on hard (against level 151s)
was a level 50 captain
a level 50 classic storm
and a level 60 black widow
and some boosts.

I targeted x force first while I built up my AP and then after i got a good amount of ap (using widow to make sure they didn't get much ap) I used storm's blue move to stun daken, and then fired off two of captain's reds back to back and focused on daken.

as soon as daken was dead I focused on wolverine as the last guy didn't matter. between storm's green move, and captain's moves i could easily control the last guy's tiles (worst case i could have used black widows blue move) so after I got daken and wolverine dead it was an easy battle (to the point that i ended with full health lol)

not to say the battle was easy in general, daken got a number of strike tiles on there for a bit and that really hurt. My storm almost died before I finished off daken but she lived with 200 hp to fire a second blue off to end daken and mostly kill wolverine.

Gotchaye

I was using Hood, OBW, and Spider-Man for the level ~170s I've got on that last fight in hard. It's very easy but very slow. Maybe I'll swap out Hood for Modern Storm next time around.

zulux21

I was using Hood, OBW, and Spider-Man for the level ~170s I've got on that last fight in hard. It's very easy but very slow. Maybe I'll swap out Hood for Modern Storm next time around.

I wish i had a useable spiderman... he would be my answer to everything >.>;

my team for that fight on hard (against level 151s)
was a level 50 captain
a level 50 classic storm
and a level 60 black widow
and some boosts.

I sold off my Cap and Storm. I should probably rebuild a modern storm, her lightning would be a godsend in matches like these. I did just beat them though! I used a Model 40 Iron man, OBW, and Loki. They're a great team, but they just weren't leveled high enough to reliably fight these guys (mid-high 70's, vs a team of 170+). I got really lucky though and knocked out Daken quickly, the rest were pretty easy.

With that said, Loki continues to be one of my favorite characters in the game. Paired up with OBW, his abilities are charged almost immediately. Once the purple is charged you can either steal form the enemies or reshuffle most of the board, so you're constantly charging up your other abilities and rarely need to match unneeded colors. Then you can steal the enemies strike/shield tiles, making your team insanely powerful in an instant. Not sure if people haven't caught on yet or aren't willing to invest in him since he's fragile at even high levels.

Dispatch

I've been using a Max Level Thor (5/3/5), a Max Level OBW(3/5/5) and a Max Level Modern Storm (5/4/4) and I've been pretty successful. I just wish I hadn't sold my Loki so I could try all the matches.

I've gone the opposite route from Benjamin Birdie. I've focused on leveling one character at a time. I'm about to get my Daken to max level, and then I'll just wait on covers, I guess.

the fucking crashes are getting to me. This is about the 6 time it crashed on me today.

Mine doesn't crash, just runs unbelievably slow sometimes. Does an Unreal-Engine-esque loading of the gem textures, too. Performance has gotten way worse over the past few patches, both on my Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7 (though they're both a few years old).

You guys use characters that I never thought I would use. Gotta level everyone now!

zulux21

Mine doesn't crash, just runs unbelievably slow sometimes. Does an Unreal-Engine-esque loading of the gem textures, too. Performance has gotten way worse over the past few patches, both on my Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7 (though they're both a few years old).

You guys use characters that I never thought I would use. Gotta level everyone now!

as a few others have pointed out, due to random characters getting boosted it's not a horrible idea to have most of your characters around the same level (I have a few favorites a little higher)

The ones I find myself leveling up last are the ones that don't really get effected by boosts aside from matching damage (which is really something they should think about maybe changing a bit, I am not saying suddenly make black widow's (one star) stun move last 10 turns when boosted, but perhaps something like add one if small boost or two if big boost to give characters that aren't damage based skill wise a bit more of a boost, this would of course require them to have an idea of how to build fun and balanced characters.... something they still need more practice with)

NomarTyme

I'm using Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and it runs great.

ALSO YOU CAN RESPEC CHARACTERS(Future update.) OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOT! Glad I didn't sell Thor or Wolverine.

So who's gonna create the GAF alliance? Gotchaye? ToxicAdam?

I'm down for whoever wants to create.

zulux21

im down for an alliance...

also... classic storm + thor + stage with oasis.... is stupid...

with a lucky 5 red match I can beat at level 200 team before they take a turn with a level 25 storm and 50 thor >.>:

hmmm round 2 will only net you 2.5k iso per difficulty instead of 5k on the last mission...
still nice but a little disappointing :p

im down for an alliance...

also... classic storm + thor + stage with oasis.... is stupid...

with a lucky 5 red match I can beat at level 200 team before they take a turn with a level 25 storm and 50 thor >.>:

hmmm round 2 will only net you 2.5k iso per difficulty instead of 5k on the last mission...
still nice but a little disappointing :p

No idea how you're doing that. I'm taking damage using a similar setup and losing either Storm or Thor. I suck.

Also, I was #6 about 3 minutes before the normal Simulator ended, then I log back in and get 250 ISO and it says I was in the top 200. What's the deal? Were Normal and Hard combined into one or something?

Edit: NVM, it popped when I reloaded.

Davidion

Oh man, finally won 2nd place in a tournament. Simulator netted me three 2-star tokens; got a blue/green c.storm and a purple moonstone.

C.Storm already at 5 yellow and I'm already at 3/2 with the other two; hard to decide whether I should go 4/4/5 and ditch the green or 5/3/5. Decisions.

Onto the next simulator!

zulux21

No idea how you're doing that. I'm taking damage using a similar setup and losing either Storm or Thor. I suck.

Also, I was #6 about 3 minutes before the normal Simulator ended, then I log back in and get 250 ISO and it says I was in the top 200. What's the deal? Were Normal and Hard combined into one or something?

Edit: NVM, it popped when I reloaded.
it takes a little bit of luck, but mostly you need the yellow cover on thor maxed and storm's green and red maxed (or at least a few red)

but the end result has been get 6 red use storm's red move, get 30-50 event power, use oasis at 25, get enough green or close to enough green to use storm's move (typically one match away if i don't get it) use her green the next turn likely getting enough red and event tiles to spring to use oasis again... and the green move again... and then enough yellow to use thor to get enough green for her to storm, storm, oasis, storm, yellow ect ect lol.

if you use some boosters to start with 6 red/yellow/green then it's really easy to get going on the oasis stage.

but yeah i took down 24k of hp 100 damage at a time without them getting a turn lulz.

Oh man, finally won 2nd place in a tournament. Simulator netted me three 2-star tokens; got a blue/green c.storm and a purple moonstone.

C.Storm already at 5 yellow and I'm already at 3/2 with the other two; hard to decide whether I should go 4/4/5 and ditch the green or 5/3/5. Decisions.

Onto the next simulator!

respecing is confirmed for the next patch... just use both and replace later :p

I took two top 50 which netted me two tokens... one blue classic storm and one green 4 star wolverine (my first 4 star yay... now to wait for him to get a buff before i remotely care lol)

edit: hmmm the changes to boosts sounds crappy.... they say they are going to retire some... and work on how they stack and in the forums say in response to what boosts are being retired
Still being figured out, and the retiring is all server-side, so we can flip things around up until it launches. I guess technically after too, but that's less likely. At this *very* moment, the idea is to retire the Starting +3 AP Boosts (maybe the color damages too?) and introduce stackable +1s at similar cost. So it would provide more mutability in what boosts you choose. But again, that's not final.

it seems to mean that they would break the costs up as if you were buying a partial pack
Umm, no. Again, numbers are still being tweaked, so this isn't final. But you'd buy 5 +1 All AP boosts at 50HP instead of 3 +3s for 100 HP. We're not trying to change pricing in any real way here. Same goes for the current Iso based boosts.

a bit more on how they will work
Also, does stacking a boost mean that you can use (for example) 8 of the same boost while still using 3 different boosts? Or does it mean that you can use the same boost in all 3 slots?
Still three slots, still 3 different Boosts. Some Boosts will allow you to stack them on that slot though. So you could have say (in current Boost numbers terms), a +60% Red/Yellow damage 3x stacked slot, +6 Blue/Purple Starting AP slot, and a +100% H.A.M.M.E.R. damage slot.

EDIT: Whoops, was supposed to be +60% damage, not AP

there also seems to be a limit to the number of agents in an alliance
Not final yet, and we can always build on things later. At the second, 20.

I'm getting really sick of this.

Almost every time I get a two star token, it ends up just increasing the standard one star button. Today is the fifth or six time this week that I've been rewarded with a two star, but can't actually claim anything above a one star.

Am I alone in this or is anybody else seeing it?

Not sure I really like the way the new changes are sounding. I miss the days of all boosts costing 100 ISO. Hopefully they don't start getting out of hand with this game and start making it where you HAVE to purchase things in order to compete cause I'll drop the game pretty quick if it comes to that. Also the alliance limited to 20?? That's wayyyyy too small.

Strategy related, how do you guys deal with Dakken on the hard simulator? He is such a pain.

zulux21

Not sure I really like the way the new changes are sounding. I miss the days of all boosts costing 100 ISO. Hopefully they don't start getting out of hand with this game and start making it where you HAVE to purchase things in order to compete cause I'll drop the game pretty quick if it comes to that. Also the alliance limited to 20?? That's wayyyyy too small.

Strategy related, how do you guys deal with Dakken on the hard simulator? He is such a pain.
well it's not set in stone, it may go higher (heck it could even go lower but doubtful :p)

as for dakken... my usual plan is to ignore him while building up my AP, killing his strike tiles as I can and then once I get enough AP kill him in one go (otherwise his healing makes the fight way to long)

I typically have the 2 star widow on my team for healing in this case to keep my team alive as I build up, beyond that I have used some random people. Storm/thor is a decent combo right now, I have also been using patch and classic storm (since she is boosted) in the tournament as drawn out fights + dealing damage when ever someone takes 20% of their health while healing repeatedly tends to work pretty well.

jurgen

I'm using Classic Storm, Marvel Now Magneto, and Iron Man (Model 40). Go in with the blue & purple boost. I ignore Daken as I focus on collecting purple and yellow. Use Magneto's purple as a battery to Storm's wind storm while also setting up cascades and crit tiles. When wind storm is ready, switch to Daken and use it and whittle him down while he's stunned. Use Iron Man's yellow as a battery for everything else.

Magneto's red ability is great too. It does about 2k damage and generates AP.

When not against Daken, I'll use Daken in place of Iron Man. That lineup is built for speed. Strike tiles and constant wind storms have put me in first place for all my brackets for this event so far.

I just got a Marvel Now Mags red. I already have 3 on his red, should I apply it? (I haven't used or developed him at all beyond applying whatever covers I've gotten... 0/1/3 so far).

I just got a Marvel Now Mags red. I already have 3 on his red, should I apply it? (I haven't used or developed him at all beyond applying whatever covers I've gotten... 0/1/3 so far).

um YES. Red is dope as. I'm 5/3/4 on him. Even at 3, purple is a goddamned KNOCK OUT and maxed Blue and Red are FIYAH.

I LOVE YOU MN MAGS!!!!

um YES. Red is dope as. I'm 5/3/4 on him. Even at 3, purple is a goddamned KNOCK OUT and maxed Blue and Red are FIYAH.

I LOVE YOU MN MAGS!!!!

So he's good, eh? I've been selling his covers all this time. I was turned off by the countdowns and low damage, but maybe he levels up strong.

jurgen

So he's good, eh? I've been selling his covers all this time. I was turned off by the countdowns and low damage, but maybe he levels up strong.

I've got mine at 5/4/4. His blue clears the entire board after 4 turns, which is great in case of an emergency or when you're fighting someone like Daken with a bunch of strike tiles all over the board.

His purple means cascades and crits for days with no countdown or sacrificing a turn.

The countdown on his red is reduced to one turn at level 4, doing 1855 damage and generating AP from a 3x3 block of destroyed tiles.

I'm working on leveling up my Hood right now to replace Daken and Iron Man in the third spot. Dormammu's Aid would make Magneto's purple a game-ender.

Askani

Jebus Cripes. Forgive me if it's been mentioned before, this is my first extended time against Invisible Woman. So her whole point is to basically make the game unplayable? She ruins the board with force bubbles and her protect tiles are ridiculous and on top of that she has permanent hide. If you manage to make a match on either the protect tile or the invis, you still have to beat the other one and odds are she's ready to recast. You choice it to do one damage and work around bubble tiles but "lol you're already dead" by that point. Wowzers.

Jebus Cripes. Forgive me if it's been mentioned before, this is my first extended time against Invisible Woman. So her whole point is to basically make the game unplayable? She ruins the board with force bubbles and her protect tiles are ridiculous and on top of that she has permanent hide. If you manage to make a match on either the protect tile or the invis, you still have to beat the other one and odds are she's ready to recast. You choice it to do one damage and work around bubble tiles but "lol you're already dead" by that point. Wowzers.

I believe she's paired up with random enemies that gain AP every turn, so she's getting buffed. I have a level 60 Invisible Woman and her powers take a long time to charge. Not nearly as cool as she appears in those fights. Maybe she gets much stronger when she's fully speced though.

I mean, even at level five her invisible power takes 19 yellow. And can still be knocked out immediately. As for the bubbles, the only use I can find for them now is to protect strike/shield tiles (or try to crush countdown tiles, but that's too unreliable). Plus she very fragile so it's easy to take her out quickly. They made her better, but I haven't found much use for her yet.

Askani

That does make alot more sense. I wasn't thinking about her being paired with an AP generating char and that's what she's so tough right now. Thank god. That stuff in PvP would make me break my phone.

That does make alot more sense. I wasn't thinking about her being paired with an AP generating char and that's what she's so tough right now. Thank god. That stuff in PvP would make me break my phone.

I think she can get there. Fully leveled blue can put out bubbles pretty quickly, and full green puts more out if she doesn't have any to crush. But not to the PvE level. She can get very good, but good luck getting the covers to get her there. I've been crazy lucky to get her where she is now, but she's still pretty useless at the moment.

The nature of these rare covers sorta sucks. It's great to get one, but because they're so rare they're always so damn weak.

Top Bottom