• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

NomarTyme

so... against all odds they listened to people about the skip tax... and instead made something that mostly will reward people.. (you still won't be able to skip a crap ton without paying, but at least it's not just a pure tax)
Hmmm no word on the increase in ISO though.

Also my Wolverine tourney.... The top 2 people roster is a fucking joke.

hamchan

Hmmm no word on the increase in ISO though.

Also my Wolverine tourney.... The top 2 people roster is a fucking joke.

I've noticed that the majority of the top 10 in my bracket are mostly using 1 star or 2 star characters, with only me and the guy below me using 3 stars over lvl 100.

NomarTyme

I've noticed that the majority of the top 10 in my bracket are mostly using 1 star or 2 star characters, with only me and the guy below me using 3 stars over lvl 100.
So its not me! I'm thinking about narcing on their asses!... then again they can easily create a new account and cheat again. :(

NomarTyme

Really? I'm wanting 5/5/3 for the green battery to happen faster for Storm. His green is meaty though so I guess it depends on your team needs.
Its up to how you build your team. I use Wolverine**, Thor, and Original Black Widow. The Call of Storm is a lot better than the Mjolnir's Might(Maybe if they add additional yellow tiles, it'll be better.).

shaowebb

Its up to how you build your team. I use Wolverine**, Thor, and Original Black Widow. The Call of Storm is a lot better than the Mjolnir's Might(Maybe if they add additional yellow tiles, it'll be better.).

Ooooh...okay, an OBW team. That makes sense then as Red is needed for Adamantium slash and no green is needed elsewhere. Nice tanky team there. Good damage. No one will want to fight it given if they focus on OBW like they should it could turn into a runaway. A good stun team would likely be the kind of team someone would run against it. Doubt a battery team could last long vs green cover Thor. Even in back row they'd take damage.

My Thor/Storm/Daken and Thor/Storm/Venom teams are getting good mileage right now for me. Need to level Venom badly though, but his stuns and black/purple setup compliments those two really well. Daken is just nasty. If I could fully level Bullseye though I'd replace him since Bullseye's passive self replenishes most of what he loses unlike Daken. It'd get frustrating as hell to take on a battery team with runaway life lead.

Also fun fact. Taking on Juggernaut/Classic Storm/Daredevil is rough. Classic Storm paired with a health character like Jugs or Hulk means her yellow passive starts going crazy. Jugs Daredevil was just a factory of red too. Life just kept slipping away. I won but I lost sooooooooo much of my team health I had to bench them and trade off.

Hmm, well my core team usually is OBW/Classic Storm/Patch, but I'm thinking about building up Thor and adding him to the mix. My Thor is currently 3/4/2. I have a red cover that I haven't applied yet. Should I go for it? I guess it depends on who I plan to replace in the team, huh?

shaowebb

Hmm, well my core team usually is OBW/Classic Storm/Patch, but I'm thinking about building up Thor and adding him to the mix. My Thor is currently 3/4/2. I have a red cover that I haven't applied yet. Should I go for it? I guess it depends on who I plan to replace in the team, huh?

Build that Thor. Here is what I'm doing with him right now at zero cost of gold. Just off the Iso I earn from fights using Storm/Thor I'm able to just keep going in this tourney non stop. I dont have a surplus of heals...my turn just lasts so long it generally kills two characters with this team.

ZY8RVqo.jpg

Thor Storm= goldmine. I consider a fully leveled 5/5/3 setup the best if you have a Storm because instead of going through the cycle ONCE and only hitting the 3 abilities of Storm I battery up and my turn goes for so long that I eaaaaaaaaaasily do more damage than it would have. And all the while I bank AP for the two as well as my third character.

Shit is amazing. Way more powerful than Thor/verine was for me because its a duo that also builds for the third. If you are on the desert Storm's red fuels you with environmental tiles to use oasis and create green even more too. Load up a third like Venom in the mix or Daken and its nightmare fuel.

Can you explain some of the things you are doing with Storm in a little more detail? Pretend I don't know what "battery up" means.

I'm getting absolutely destroyed in this DD tourney. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Using Thor/Grey Suit BW, or Thor/Classic Storm, or Astonishing Wolvie with either of those ladies. Am I doing it wrong?

Also, what's the consensus on power ups? Should I just be using the ones that give AP? Or with the teams above should I be using the extra damage ones?

zulux21

Can you explain some of the things you are doing with Storm in a little more detail? Pretend I don't know what "battery up" means.

I'm getting absolutely destroyed in this DD tourney. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Using Thor/Grey Suit BW, or Thor/Classic Storm, or Astonishing Wolvie with either of those ladies. Am I doing it wrong?

Also, what's the consensus on power ups? Should I just be using the ones that give AP? Or with the teams above should I be using the extra damage ones?

Thor yellow move = crap ton of green tiles on board when maxed out
Storm green move = getting AP for each destroyed tile which will likely get you pretty close to being able to use thors yellow move again (this it true for either storm, classic storm from what I am reading gets 6+the number of green AP you have in tiles destroyed for 12 ap (aka 18 min) and modern breaks 16 for 10 ap.)

so basically you build up thor's red and yellow moves (red to put a bit more yellow on the board so you can do his yellow move) and work towards storm's green move, and then when you launch her green move you likely will have a good start on using the moves again. Storm is used as a battery to fuel the other characters, while thor's yellow move is used as a battery to fuel storms battery move.

Thor yellow move = crap ton of green tiles on board when maxed out
Storm green move = getting AP for each destroyed tile which will likely get you pretty close to being able to use thors yellow move again (this it true for either storm, classic storm from what I am reading gets 6+the number of green AP you have in tiles destroyed for 12 ap (aka 18 min) and modern breaks 16 for 10 ap.)

so basically you build up thor's red and yellow moves (red to put a bit more yellow on the board so you can do his yellow move) and work towards storm's green move, and then when you launch her green move you likely will have a good start on using the moves again. Storm is used as a battery to fuel the other characters, while thor's yellow move is used as a battery to fuel storms battery move.

Awesome. Thanks so much. I will be crushing fools with this strategy, no doubt. Until the nerf it, of course. -.-

shaowebb

Also remember with Storm Thor that if you enter into a battle with boosts it takes off FAST. If I win iso I spend it on 3 AP boosts of Green/Black and/or 3 yellow/red. If you have a +3 all save it for the really valuable matches that'll get you ahead easily. Dont bother throwing cash into the game for that though. You'd be broke in no time. The free iso you get yields enough to insure you have the extra iso handy needed to get going. Prioritize green and yellow tiles the most. Red is secondary to those but if you get it then it helps do the combo we mentioned.

A lot of times I prioritize preventing Black Widow teams from getting blue over my needs though so dont forget to try and gimp your opponent occassionally by going out of your way to keep them too poor to attack you properly. Remember that if they have a stun handy do NOT let Thor pop tiles next...if you do that Storm is almost always who all the tile symbols will change to and if Thor is in front suddenly forced to take hits for 5 turns she will die in most cases. If someone has a stun pop a tile with Daredevil's symbol or something so the AI stuns him instead. And always target the following opponents in this order. Storm =kill first, Then Black Widow. Then Thor. Thor is expensive and you'll pop all the things he needs so he wont attack much if you play your team the way you're supposed to. Just make certain you target batteries like Storm first, Then stun characters next.Stun folks are dangerous but not as dangerous as Storm because if she does her thing ONCE it means the entire opposing team generally is ready to start firing off. Just kill Storm first and go out of your way to pop blues to keep Widow's in line till she dies. Once the threat of their battery is dead then go after their stun characters. Unless its spidey...fuck him. Get him out of there quick...or just skip fighting him or Magneto outright IMO. They're too costly to fight.

You are the hero we deserve, man.

So my problem was that i would go hard to get Storm's blue power out, and she would end up getting killed too soon. I will change that strat up. Thanks!

Do you never use Storm's blue? Seems like an awesome power that does 1400 damage and hits all three, plus the 5 turn stun.

shaowebb

You are the hero we deserve, man.

So my problem was that i would go hard to get Storm's blue power out, and she would end up getting killed too soon. I will change that strat up. Thanks!

Do you never use Storm's blue? Seems like an awesome power that does 1400 damage and hits all three, plus the 5 turn stun.

Classic Storm blue is great but it stands alone. Doing it doesn't guarantee you get to shoot any other of your team's abilities for your efforts. Her green though DOES as it pops tiles that also fuel Thor's other 2 tile yielding abilities and THOSE will do more damage once they start firing one after the other than her Blue would. If she gets blue great, but priority lies heavily in popping large amounts of tiles and putting as much green out as possible. Classic Storm doesn't do that as easily as regular Storm unless she has 5 green covers though so its a little harder with her. Im mainly running Regular Storm for how fast her stuff goes and tagging out to Classic once she's needing to rest and heal.

Here's where it stands so far chasing green tiles above all else and only popping things that will fuel the tools that yield green.

sMkYBed.jpg

Number 1 and no money spent on a thing.

If you dont have 5 covers for Classic Storm she doesn't screen clear too easy. If you got a regular Storm she always cleared pretty large amounts of tiles before she hit lvl 5 green so if you dont have many green covers on Classic yet but you do on Regular it may go easier for you. Remember you dont have to chase blue considering that 16 tile clearing green ability of hers will fuel that shit up anyhow.

Honestly they need to give Thor's yellow some of its damage back and nerf it down to 5 green tiles from 9 IMO to balance this shit. If they dont go that route swap the colors on Storm's black and green abilities and make Classic Storm's green a Black ability too so Thor can't do anything about that. Daken/Thor will still be a problem but I think its manageable enough since this would greatly slow down the advancement of Greens into the playing field.

shaowebb

Just sent D3 a message explaining Storm Thor and how it works and suffocates AI. Told them the easiest fix is to take Storm's Black and green colors and swap them so that Thor cannot generate any fuel for her battery abilities. Posted it on their boards and Steam too. Hopefully they listen this time.

Also fun fact...the AI doesn't recognize ALL kinds of 5 of a kind things. I ran into this after running Thor/Storm forever and seeing so many 5 of a kinds.

The AI prioritizes 4 of a kind and 5 of a kind. If it sees ANY of these it WILL pop them on its turn no matter what.

But it can only recognize 5 off a kinds that form a LINE shape...not an "L" shape.

xL8GgIc.jpg
L6FTXsN.jpg
lGtrJiH.jpg

shaowebb

Is this Classic or Modern Storm this whole page is talking about?

I use Modern as Classic doesn't pop large amounts until you got her at 5 green covers. However if you got one of those DO IT. That girl also gets to do stuns and full team damage plus retaliatory high damage passive moves. Modern Storm is just a very low entry one that can do this even if she's missing a green cover. I'm missing a cover for my classic so Modern stays in the forefront. If you are going into the desert though choose modern...her low cost red clears the environmental tiles, gets OASIS and yields 6 green a shot with that meaning you have yet another way to fuel her directly besides yellow.

Dispatch

I use Modern as Classic doesn't pop large amounts until you got her at 5 green covers. However if you got one of those DO IT. That girl also gets to do stuns and full team damage plus retaliatory high damage passive moves. Modern Storm is just a very low entry one that can do this even if she's missing a green cover. I'm missing a cover for my classic so Modern stays in the forefront. If you are going into the desert though choose modern...her low cost red clears the environmental tiles, gets OASIS and yields 6 green a shot with that meaning you have yet another way to fuel her directly besides yellow.

I have five green covers for Classic Storm and a maxed Modern Storm and Modern is still better for this strategy. The main reason is Modern's red power clears the special tiles which allows for even more cascade-style matches. She also pops 16 random tiles for every 10 green AP, instead of taking 12 green AP to pop a minimum of 12 random tiles. In addition, Modern Storm has such low damage that she often stays in the back of your three heroes and doesn't attack, allowing her to serve as a battery to feed without taking damage.

Haven't played for real for days now. In a transition roster right now, waiting for a PVE. All PVP match ups are just laughable for my guys now.

La dee da da da

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What's Psylocke's powers and rarity? I gotta know!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
3 STARS

Psychic Knife (Damage/Strike Tiles)
Bewilder (Blue > Countdown AP Steal)
Psi-Katana (Damage/Attack Tile)

0_0

XD

Thank you! Hmm, sounds interesting - interesting they're also not using DD's hidden tile mechanic again, which is kinda good. He's a unique-ass dude.

Gotchaye

She's interesting, but unless her red and blue get significantly better as she gains covers I'm not sure she's that good.

Same level 15 HP as Patch. Her red looks iffy; it's not much damage, at levels 1 and 2 the strike tile isn't all that impressive, and the cost reduction for more strike tiles isn't going to save you that much AP unless you're on a team with a character who adds red strike tiles without using red AP (Astonishing Wolverine and Daken would be the main ones, I think, plus Punisher). But at full cost reduction she doesn't add strike tiles herself.

Her blue at low levels is awful. Hopefully that improves. How often does the enemy have 9 (or 12) AP in a color you want and not more AP in a color you don't want? And you need to set it up 3 turns in advance. But probably the countdown will reduce and hopefully it will branch out to more colors, since it'd just be silly if it kept draining more AP - 24 AP drained from one color at level 5!

Her black is the most interesting. It's cheap and adds attack tiles, which are a little hard to come by and synergize well with strike tiles. Damage at levels 1 and 2 is on the low side - Hood's intimidate does 100 at character level 15, and it's not very impressive - but it grows at level 2 and maybe will keep going. She's tempting as a Patch teammate for this ability alone, since her black benefits twice from strike tiles on its first use and only costs 6 AP.

animus82

Banned
She's interesting, but unless her red and blue get significantly better as she gains covers I'm not sure she's that good.

Same level 15 HP as Patch. Her red looks iffy; it's not much damage, at levels 1 and 2 the strike tile isn't all that impressive, and the cost reduction for more strike tiles isn't going to save you that much AP unless you're on a team with a character who adds red strike tiles without using red AP (Astonishing Wolverine and Daken would be the main ones, I think, plus Punisher). But at full cost reduction she doesn't add strike tiles herself.

Her blue at low levels is awful. Hopefully that improves. How often does the enemy have 9 (or 12) AP in a color you want and not more AP in a color you don't want? And you need to set it up 3 turns in advance. But probably the countdown will reduce and hopefully it will branch out to more colors, since it'd just be silly if it kept draining more AP - 24 AP drained from one color at level 5!

Her black is the most interesting. It's cheap and adds attack tiles, which are a little hard to come by and synergize well with strike tiles. Damage at levels 1 and 2 is on the low side - Hood's intimidate does 100 at character level 15, and it's not very impressive - but it grows at level 2 and maybe will keep going. She's tempting as a Patch teammate for this ability alone, since her black benefits twice from strike tiles on its first use and only costs 6 AP.

Her black combined with OBW black steal make it obvious you would want this at 5 I think.

Overall not a bad char. A DPS character for sure.

Also, THANK GOD for new PVE instead of just the same ol PVP tournies.

Anyone start The Simulator?

I'm hoping this allows them to have a constant PVE presence even between Episodes because PVP is unnnnfunnnnn.

I also would like some infos when someone has a chance

I've allowed myself to get too underleveled to compete in PvP and that plus my new 3DS has me about to move on from this game. I don't really want to though.

animus82

Banned
I also would like some infos when someone has a chance

I've allowed myself to get too underleveled to compete in PvP and that plus my new 3DS has me about to move on from this game. I don't really want to though.

10 DAY PVE event.

Regualer Mode and a Heroic 2 day episode and then it moves to the next episode.

Tons of ISO to go around it looks like.

Gotchaye

It's just a regular PvE event like The Hulk or Thick as Thieves.

Top 1% (10 of 1000) in the main bracket get all 3 Psylockes. Sub-bracket placement rewards are not very desirable at all - top 1% (2 of 200) get 3 pseudo-Heroic tokens and a bit of ISO and HP.

It's better done, combat-wise, than the other events they've had. Very eclectic mix of buffed characters, and enemy teams are quite varied and sometimes include buffed characters. You can't use characters that appear on the enemy team, so your own teams end up looking a lot different than they usually do in many fights.

Typical mission rewards are now recruit token and then 100/250/500 ISO, and boost rewards are gone. At least one of the sub-events has a 5000 ISO reward for the last mission in the long chain.

jred2k

Ugh, trying not to lose my shit and spend all this ISO on a few Classic Storm levels. I think I might try to invest some of it in to Cap. so I have another higher level buffed character for this event.

Ugh, trying not to lose my shit and spend all this ISO on a few Classic Storm levels. I think I might try to invest some of it in to Cap. so I have another higher level buffed character for this event.

Those who do not learn from my patented Level Every Charac At The Same Pace™ Mighty Marvel (Puzzle Quest) Method are doomed to repeat…something.

jred2k

Those who do not learn from my patented Level Every Charac At The Same Pace™ Mighty Marvel (Puzzle Quest) Method are doomed to repeat…something.

I can't help it! I've been chasing that PvP dream!

I think I've come around to the equal leveling philosophy, though. I was stifled by a lack of covers for a while that kept me pouring ISO in to the only characters I could.

animus82

Banned

You are correct sir.

But to have a huge cast of char's you need the HP for the slots. So the developers are using these events to force F2P people into paying some money for slots.

A good tactic.

It doesn't bother me since I already spent 20$ for slots and a few upgrades.

I think that they nailed this event: It seems a low (or non) rubber-banding event, with fixed enemy levels, tons of repeatable missions that rewards playing more, instead of playing less at the last hours. But, still, we'll have to check when the first subevents ends, in order to see what are the better approach to optimize points.

I don't care too much about the reward. I nearly have maxed all the characters of the "Highly Trained" cards, and I'm not too excited with Psylocke, but we're talking about 1150 xp for each mission 500+250+100+Silver Card (at least 100) + 200 (first time mission bonus), on 9 missions each subevent, and 5500 for the tenth one.

So, 32k xp available on the first 2 subevents. I suppose 4 subevent rounds, (10 days and 2'5 days each couple of subevents), that means 128k xp. Nice,

shaowebb

My waifu is back! Yay Devil Dinosaur <3

Also Psylocke sounds like she'd be great with Dr Doom acting as a battery for black.

zulux21

this new event makes me happy. I was able to do the easy version without to much trouble with my level 60 team, and goof around a bit in the hard mode.

If I had one complaint it would be that the hard and easy modes have the same rewards... hard mode should have better rewards.

There was a depressing 2 weeks for MPQ, I'm glad to hear this new event is actually worth doing. Will have to start playing again. I lost some love for the game when they nerfed Astonishing Wolverine, but only because they then released a better more ridiculous Wolverine that was much harder to get. That and I've been sitting on 3G X-Force Wolverine for like a month and a half (god I want to get him up there).

Excited for this new tourney. I left my shield to try to get some points at the end of the Iron Man one, and ended up screwing it up (was in 2nd tier, ended up in 3rd). Had a blast, though.

zulux21

I see they couldn't leave well enough alone...
I wake up and all of my enemies levels in the hard mode have basically doubled -_-

zulux21

Check them again. Mine have lowered a smidge, edging into the beatable range.

I don't know, though, it is "Hard".

nah... my second match went from the 90s which might have been possible to 161 which likely isn't possible for my team of level 50-60s.
another match went from the 40s to the high 70s...

I think a few matches in normal went higher (for example one of my matches in normal is in the 120s but since it's the one with the bomb placers it's not a big deal) but it's still doable.

I never had any real plans to beat hard, I know my team isn't good enough... but unlike last night now I can't really do anything in hard, where before I could do some of the intro missions.

Top Bottom