• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Studios’ Thunderbolts* | Teaser Trailer | Only In Theaters May 2025

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

461151870_1063211588499107_8256517091742919470_n.jpg

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

Looks ok but the trailer didn't get me that excited. I hope this does well but its not guaranteed. It will be harder to get people in theaters when you don't have the popular characters and you need to watch Disney+ shows first.

Last edited:

Doom85

Not sure why you think I can't handle a nose ring. Why not ask if I can handle pixie hair?

I am OK don't worry. I just don't think either are attractive. If that consists of "not able to handle it" then yes you are right my special guy.

Calm Down Al Pacino GIF

Just a joke, bruh. Also, why I would ask about the hair, that wouldn’t be relevant to the Cap and Widow scene. It wasn’t even about you, I just wanted to reference a funny scene.

Edit: plus, I think 80% or so of blonde haired women look better with it short as opposed to long. I’ve seen too many long blonde haircuts that just don’t look right to me.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Looks ok. The part where Bucky pulls a chain to flip the humvie was… not good.

Also, is that supposed to be the actual sentry? As he is a whole new level of power creep if so. Wonder if they will go down the dark path there like Wanda

Doom85

Anyway, looks pretty good. Though I would have cut out Ghost and Taskmaster, the former was just kind of forgettable and the latter had zero characterization. Maybe this film will fix that, but I dunno, I’d rather have more focus on Bucky and especially Yelena and Alexei. I guess they don’t want the team to be too small, but even if he was never on the team in the comics Moon Knight would have been a cooler addition.

Kind of baffled Sentry is in this. I barely know the character (read one volume of New Avengers, but like almost anything Bendis wrote that wasn’t Ultimate Spider-man, it didn’t click with me), but he’s basically Superman level, so if he powers up he unbalances the team completely, and if he’s not powered up, why is he here? I know Red Hulk is in the film as well, but I assumed he wouldn’t be a major antagonist as it would be redundant to have two films in a row where Red Hulk is a major threat.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Eh, looks like it's gonna be a forced team up built around a macguffin fetch quest with yet another "all powerful mastermind" main villain hiding in plain sight under a thin veneer of cuteness. I'm expecting action scenes with little connection to the story, little to no sense of time or place, and a THOUSAND "set-up moments" for other stuff that actively detract from the enjoyment of the film on screen.

And 1-2 "super secret" cameos of actual popular characters (not just Falcon, who I'm sure will pop up in this, but rather old man Cap, Hawkeye, or someone like that) they are holding to judge if they need to drop them to get more interest. Otherwise this looks....decent, probably an adequate film but not one that has me itching to see in theater.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Also, is that supposed to be the actual sentry? As he is a whole new level of power creep if so. Wonder if they will go down the dark path there like Wanda
Multiverse

This is the end of Phase 5.

I’ve never heard of these characters.
We literally just had a thread about how great Winter Soldier is and now people pretend to have never heard of him.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll

That's the before pic.

Just a joke, bruh. Also, why I would ask about the hair, that wouldn’t be relevant to the Cap and Widow scene. It wasn’t even about you, I just wanted to reference a funny scene.

Sorry but I hate Captain America, face piercings and pixie haircuts.

Just so we are on the level.

Last edited:

Doom85

Multiverse

Sorry, could you elaborate? I know of the multiverse and this is the end of Phase 5, but how does that connect with Sentry alone being stronger than the entire rest of the team?

Also, unless it’s very spoiler-y, what’s with the asterisk in the title? Is that a reference to a specific comic run?

NickFire

Multiverse

We literally just had a thread about how great Winter Soldier is and now people pretend to have never heard of him.
I’m sorry, but what the F are you talking about? And why would I pretend to not know who they are?

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I don't think any of these characters are interesting or good. Maybe Bucky was at some point, but the TV shows have diluted everything.

I am OK don't worry. I just don't think either are attractive. If that consists of "not able to handle it" then yes you are right my special guy.
This "can't handle it" is a new "if you don't like it - you hate it / racist / sexist" etc.

Feels like a tv show instead of a movie.
Yeah, reminds me of a trailer to TV series indeed.

I make a joke about someone not being able to date an adult woman with a nose piercing,
Every person has his own preferences.

I don't think any of these characters are interesting or good. Maybe Bucky was at some point, but the TV shows have diluted everything.
Well Bucky is the only recognisable face there.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
He would've been perfect as the new Captain America and Im sure he was supposed to be but they Disneyfucked everything.
I agree. It certainly feels like they wanted to have a level of suspicion and distrust towards Cap and the government, Bucky would have been a perfect fit for that stuff, but then they pivoted to Falcon and he just can't carry the weight as they had to go to a polarizing direction to get the same level of strife with him.

I'm not sure I've seen Sebastian as the lead in anything, so maybe the actor doesn't have the chops. But, IMHO, neither does Anthony Mackie, he is a charisma suck when the lead, he is just not a movie star.

Doom85

I agree. It certainly feels like they wanted to have a level of suspicion and distrust towards Cap and the government, Bucky would have been a perfect fit for that stuff, but then they pivoted to Falcon and he just can't carry the weight as they had to go to a polarizing direction to get the same level of strife with him.

I'm not sure I've seen Sebastian as the lead in anything, so maybe the actor doesn't have the chops. But, IMHO, neither does Anthony Mackie, he is a charisma suck when the lead, he is just not a movie star.

Bucky would make no sense as Cap. Cap is naturally the character to lead the Avengers, and Sam has connections to most of the Avengers still alive, whereas Bucky barely interacted with any of them. Plus, Sam is the one who ultimately becomes Cap for a good while in the comics before Steve takes the mantle again. Also, Bucky has his own issues to work through that would make him unfit to take the mantle for a good while. The only qualification Bucky has being Cap is “I’m Steve’s friend” which also fits Sam.

They don’t need it to be Bucky to build distrust with the government. Steve himself already had that element, and Sam sided with Steve in that in Civil War. Plus, it’s Ross, either Sam or Bucky would hesitate to work with him knowing where the character usually goes.

Last edited:
Bucky would make no sense as Cap. Cap is naturally the character to lead the Avengers, and Sam has connections to most of the Avengers still alive, whereas Bucky barely interacted with any of them
That is EXACTLY why he would be perfect. Captain America doesnt need to be the center AGAIN and an anti-hero as Captain would've been far more interesting than the generic sidekick.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Bucky would make no sense as Cap. Cap is naturally the character to lead the Avengers, and Sam has connections to most of the Avengers still alive, whereas Bucky barely interacted with any of them. Plus, Sam is the one who ultimately becomes Cap for a good while in the comics before Steve takes the mantle again. Also, Bucky has his own issues to work through that would make him unfit to take the mantle for a good while. The only qualification Bucky has being Cap is “I’m Steve’s friend” which also fits Sam.

They don’t need it to be Bucky to build distrust with the government. Steve himself already had that element, and Sam sided with Steve in that in Civil War. Plus, it’s Ross, either Sam or Bucky would hesitate to work with him knowing where the character usually goes.
Bucky was an american GI, I'd say he represents the Cap America values quite well. Plus we can see him wrestle with his WS conditioning. And he is super powered. And he has a robot arm to that gives him additional capabilities over just the shield. I think it is a more interesting choice for a limited range of films than Sam, IMHO.

The Avengers, as shown in the films, have ZERO leadership, they either have goals that align or they just do their own thing. About all you see from Cap is some tactical battlefield leadership predicated mostly on random mumbo jumbo. How any of these heroes get their combat experience is just a handwaved thing for the most part.

Now if they start having the Avengers practice and train, some has to advocate on their behalf, and there is a venue for representation of the Avengers on the world stage (i.e. Cap is at the UN explaining why they won't interfere in the Ukraine but they WILL help stop a collapsing dam in Zimbabwe) but I don't think the films are interested in exploring that aspect of superherodom (and really, The Boys has kinda sucked the wind out of ALL superheroes operating at that level).

Anyway, the main limiter for this film, for me, is the lack of charismatic actors I WANT to go see. So it rests on the strength of the characters and the ghost chick is probably the one I care about the most other than Bucky, which ain't great for a team film.

Top Bottom