• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite |OT| Marvel vs. Capcom: 4 Female Characters

Neoxon

capcom better fix the HSD bug asap because it''s gonna make this game unwatchable. people will blow all of their resources breaking the combos and if you get touched after losing a character then it's over. at least in marvel 3 you get a chance to make a comeback with x factor if you manage to land your character. guess the soul stone will see a lot more use but then you lose variety of gameplay if most use soul to have another chance.
I guess it depends on how quickly Capcom can react to such developments. Obviously they're already working on the Spidey infinite, but it seems like the HSD glitch started to pick up steam recently. As mentioned already, I wouldn't be surprised if we end up waiting until the update for the second batch of Season 1 characters before it gets fixed (factoring in the certification process for firmware updates). But hey, if Capcom can get on top of the HSD glitch sooner in time for the first batch of Season 1 characters, more power to them.

Bob White

Yeah, I can't really say I've had fun with this game so far, the first week was trying to learn the new layout and mechanics, after that I'm simply in this place where I don't really know what to do with the game, I don't watch it, I don't follow it, I don't even know what the new glitches and tricks are, and it feels off when I play, like I feel like I'm doing something and it should work in some way, but then my character doesn't behave the way I was expecting them to and then you have the stupid constant active switching. I'm done too, might try to get the platinum for it because I like the trials, but I don't enjoy the game, whereas I loved MvC3 and UMvC3 back when they launched.

See...this shit right here drives me fucking CRAZY. Who in the fuck thought it would be a good idea to have tagging, in a game where you get endless tagging constantly, eat your inputs?

Take for example fighting Strider/Jedah. Strider will do the derp teleport dive kick. Just dash any direction and punish, right? NOPE, Strider tags, your inputs get fucked, and now you've been hit.

I just can't...I know, just hold light punch. But online, and in a game this frantic, reacting to the tag screen with a held button is very hard AND risky

brian!

Try playing chars with invincible frames like zero or haggar if that's messing you up. Personally i think the tag system is amazing and it's the main draw for me

Dahbomb

Game has way more problems than just HSD glitch reset.

Like straight up talking about bug/glitches here not even talking about some characters being way better than others and stuff or the way this game is shaping up to be in terms of meta (ie. super set play heavy) or the imbalance in the stones.

*HSD reset glitch.

*Inescapable "resets" with aerial command grabs. Most notable with stuff like Spider Man and Space cube.

*The Freeze glitch where you can freeze the opponent in place and then do whatever with them. This sets up TOD situations even with tag because you can cover the tag.

*Spider Man actually has Web Ball infinites in Reality Storm and Soul Storm. The issue is definitely with Web Ball which needs fixing.

*Moves that randomly turn into overheads ie. cr.LK into Stinger with Dante.

*Some projectiles being both piercing and negate push block like Gamora's gun or Rocket's gun. There are other examples in the game too like Spider Man's Web Zip. This also results in weird stuff like the characters not even being grabbable while they are doing their projectiles.

*Captain Marvel's armor that gives her semi perma armor when it shouldn't.

*The auto guard from advance guard not working while locked down with supers.

*Dormammu's Fly cancel which is definitely a bug as it doesn't even work if you have stocked spells lol.

*Dr Strange's super straight up not working if you tag at the right time.

*Stuff persisting when they shouldn't persist and general jankness when tag + cinematics are performed.

*Weird shit happening with proximity blocking.

Game isn't a month old and it's already looking to be more busted than Vanilla Marvel 3.

Also dat shader/outline effect:

https://twitter.com/DevSF4/status/917870805723369472

smurfx

get some go again

Like straight up talking about bug/glitches here not even talking about some characters being way better than others and stuff or the way this game is shaping up to be in terms of meta (ie. super set play heavy) or the imbalance in the stones.

*HSD reset glitch.

*Inescapable "resets" with aerial command grabs. Most notable with stuff like Spider Man and Space cube.

*The Freeze glitch where you can freeze the opponent in place and then do whatever with them. This sets up TOD situations even with tag because you can cover the tag.

*Spider Man actually has Web Ball infinites in Reality Storm and Soul Storm. The issue is definitely with Web Ball which needs fixing.

*Some projectiles being both piercing and negate push block like Gamora's gun or Rocket's gun. There are other examples in the game too like Spider Man's Web Zip. This also results in weird stuff like the characters not even being grabbable while they are doing their projectiles.

*Dormammu's Fly cancel which is definitely a bug as it doesn't even work if you have stocked spells lol.

*Stuff persisting when they shouldn't persist and general jankness when tag + cinematics are performed.

Game isn't a month old and it's already looking to be more busted than Vanilla Marvel 3.

bet you all staff that is still working on this game is likely working on the dlc characters so fixes might not come for a while. right now the fighting game division is making sure sf5 arcade edition doesn't have another bad launch so the marvel team really does need to get it right when they finally do release a patch.

HardRojo

See...this shit right here drives me fucking CRAZY. Who in the fuck thought it would be a good idea to have tagging, in a game where you get endless tagging constantly, eat your inputs?

Take for example fighting Strider/Jedah. Strider will do the derp teleport dive kick. Just dash any direction and punish, right? NOPE, Strider tags, your inputs get fucked, and now you've been hit.

I just can't...I know, just hold light punch. But online, and in a game this frantic, reacting to the tag screen with a held button is very hard AND risky

And sometimes, you know, if they're in the right side of the screen, I assume the tagged character will come from that side, but nope, they come from the other side and I get hit because this game decided to behave weirdly, then some Ghost Rider did the motorcycle super and tagged in, the other character for some reason came from the opposite side, like WTF was that? and not only that, but Ghost Rider locks you down for an eternity and the other character (who came from the other side for no reason) gets to mix you up for free, you can't even breathe. Now I'm really wishing they have stuck to the UMvC3 formula and refined it, at least some of that shit was manageable, but this? Nah, I'll just stick to watching streams whenever I feel like it.

Sayad

bet you all staff that is still working on this game is likely working on the dlc characters so fixes might not come for a while. right now the fighting game division is making sure sf5 arcade edition doesn't have another bad launch so the marvel team really does need to get it right when they finally do release a patch.
"The fighting game division" related to SFV at Capcom is like few top level positions(directors, designers, etc...) who aren't working on MvCI, and actual development(coding, modeling, bug fixes, etc) is happening at Dimps not Capcom. Being busy with SFV:AE shouldn't be an excuse as to why this isn't getting fixed asap. It's more likely for Monster Hunter World to get in the way of MvCI's development than an outsourced game!

Also, it has become apparent why MvCI was made internally and not outsourced, no one could possibly think about making this game in theory(30 characters, cinematic story mode, online features, etc...) at the price Capcom assigned as a budget.

is that just photoshop or an actual mod in progress?
Don't know if it's a mode or not, but the "outline shader" is a photoshop.

smurfx

get some go again
And sometimes, you know, if they're in the right side of the screen, I assume the tagged character will come from that side, but nope, they come from the other side and I get hit because this game decided to behave weirdly, then some Ghost Rider did the motorcycle super and tagged in, the other character for some reason came from the opposite side, like WTF was that? and not only that, but Ghost Rider locks you down for an eternity and the other character (who came from the other side for no reason) gets to mix you up for free, you can't even breathe. Now I'm really wishing they have stuck to the UMvC3 formula and refined it, at least some of that shit was manageable, but this? Nah, I'll just stick to watching streams whenever I feel like it.
the opposite side tag is one thing that does bother me. if the characters coming in were very unsafe i wouldn't have as much of a problem with it but it's generally safe and you can get a full combo off of the hit from the tag.

Dahbomb

Character comes opposite to the direction the point character is facing.

Though that is a pretty awful design decision because characters are changing their faces a lot. Like you basically just dash over someone and tag, it's a free cross up. Then you have situations where the character would auto correct their direction while dashing over.

And yeah the inputs being eaten up and you needing to hold down buttons to make sure your inputs come out is not a good look either.

Sayad

Though that is a pretty awful design decision because characters are changing their faces a lot. Like you basically just dash over someone and tag, it's a free cross up. Then you have situations where the character would auto correct their direction while dashing over.

And yeah the inputs being eaten up and you needing to hold down buttons to make sure your inputs come out is not a good look either.
Inputs getting eaten up is awful but I'd love to see "holding down buttons" in SFV and GGXrd in situations where inputs get eaten up, it's a nice solution.

When you cross up someone and combo them while they're facing the other side, does their counter assist come from behind you too?!

brian!

Inputs getting eaten up is awful but I'd love to see "holding down buttons" in SFV and GGXrd in situations where inputs get eaten up, it's a nice solution.

When you cross up someone and combo them while they're facing the other side, does their counter assist come from behind you too?!

Yes it should

These are all positives to me lol

HardRojo

Characters should be coming in from the side of the screen they are in, there's already too much shit going on to be paying attention to where they're facing...

Zero-ELEC

Banned

Man, the bottom of that CSS with the portraits is aces, but the top... I like the idea of the character renders up there with colour to indicate infinity stone, but the text is kinda bad, and assigning characters as "anchor" and "starter" really has no meaning here.

Honestly the bar in the middle would need a rework, in general. The portraits in that style have more room to grow and make unbalanced amounts of characters look better.

I mean, it's all moot since it's a 'shop but whatever.

SaikyoBro

Yeah this is one thing I legitimately fucking hate about the game. The worst is when you and the opponent tag at the same time... the screen flashes so I think my partner is out, but before I have the chance to react to anything I'm taking damage from a completely different character. Now my only two options are to sit there and lose half my life (or alternatively, die) or waste two bars saving myself. Amazing.

HardRojo

Yeah, I've come to the conclusion that I highly dislike Active Switch and it is the main reason I can't simply find enjoyment in this game. I don't know how it works, I don't know why sometimes I get hit when someone tags in, I don't why I get hit when I tag him, I don't enjoy the constant switching and making safe of everything that shouldn't be safe. I despite Active Switch, too bad it's the main core mechanic in the game, so it's there to stay.

Bob White

Yeah this is one thing I legitimately fucking hate about the game. The worst is when you and the opponent tag at the same time... the screen flashes so I think my partner is out, but before I have the chance to react to anything I'm taking damage from a completely different character. Now my only two options are to sit there and lose half my life (or alternatively, die) or waste two bars saving myself. Amazing.

lol. Shits a fucking party game, man

SaikyoBro

Yeah, I've come to the conclusion that I highly dislike Active Switch and it is the main reason I can't simply find enjoyment in this game. I don't know how it works, I don't know why sometimes I get hit when someone tags in, I don't why I get hit when I tag him, I don't enjoy the constant switching and making safe of everything that shouldn't be safe. I despite Active Switch, too bad it's the main core mechanic in the game, so it's there to stay.

This is a super valid opinion. I loved the concept since the game was first announced but there are definitely pros and cons. For as much sense as it makes on paper the constantly switching sides and inputs being eaten makes it much harder to manage than I think even the developers wanted it to be, especially online. I still enjoy the game overall but there's a lot about it that's starting to turn me away, I need a few days off at the very least.

NEO0MJ

That happened to me in ranked today against ultron, was firebrand floating above and went for some mix ups and I tagged and hear the level 3. Poor jedah.

But it's not biggie when you got soul!

How do you make use of Firebrand's fly? I feel it's too slow, especially on activation.

Honestly, there was no way this game wasn't going to have issues with how open-ended it is.

I'm expecting a lot of stuff to get neutered whenever they decide to update it.

SaltyPete

Neo Member

Just so everyone knows, if they're just dashing over you and tagging without putting you in blockstun, that's a free throw. Just hold forward and HP and you'll automatically throw the tagging character. Tag attack is 5f startup and throws are 3f. You don't really need to know what direction they'll be coming from, you can just throw.

Sayad

Cinematic supers really shouldn't hit inactive characters if they don't work on them! It was somehow tolerable in MvC3 when inactive characters took more damage, it's just stupid now when you can counter some level 3s with a switch!

brian!

Do some of Rocket's traps hit low? I swear I was blocking.

Shouldnt be low

This game is def hard to enjoy if you dont like the tag system. It doesn't help that it's mechanics are opaque to ppl who dont go out actively seeking the info atm. If you're still interested in making the game work for you check out this vid: https://youtu.be/5BnnZZVSaXE

A lot of ppl cite "tag to make yourself safe" which is not the case in this game the way the phrase sounds. Slamming it in panic is the same as slamming anything in panic. And a lot of the time the question becomes "how can i make the tag safe". A big growing pain for me atm is learning how to tag smartly since i have muscle memory atm for just hitting it to shake things up, but im enjoying the process.

Zissou

Flashes eating inputs is dumb. I hope they fix it.

For a possible change, what would you guys think of the red health regeneration rate increasing the longer the character was tagged out? It would give an incentive to not tag constantly and make managing your health bar matter more (currently seems like people ignore it completely).

FSLink

Banned
Just so everyone knows, if they're just dashing over you and tagging without putting you in blockstun, that's a free throw. Just hold forward and HP and you'll automatically throw the tagging character. Tag attack is 5f startup and throws are 3f. You don't really need to know what direction they'll be coming from, you can just throw.
Yeah, not really seeing the huge issue with tags. It's tough, but we shouldn't expect to be perfect at punishing shit like this after JUST a month. It's gonna take time.

But yeah they should fix the inputs being eaten up since it makes it harder than it should be.

For a possible change, what would you guys think of the red health regeneration rate increasing the longer the character was tagged out? It would give an incentive to not tag constantly and make managing your health bar matter more (currently seems like people ignore it completely).
I would make happy birthdays just do slightly more damage or build less meter for the person getting punished. I think the health regen is fine as is, SonicFox already is punishing people for being lazy about managing their red health.

brian!

Most do ignore it, but that's not proper. Currently we've found that there are situations where tagging is not optimal (https://twitter.com/Philltastic1/status/917219526772711425), but in general tagging for a mixup is core for this game and prob not gonna change

patchday

*HSD reset glitch.

Yeah that's a pretty exhaustive list

WAAAAAAY too much negative space in this. The middle of the screen and the edges of the bottom half are visually dead. You'd need a MUGEN sized roster to make something like this look good, and even then you'd have an incredibly busy bottom half and a comparitively lifeless top.

If you want to make this look good, the best way is to more or less copy SFV's css. Make it so the top:bottom ratio is like 3:1 and replace the top ones with fully animated models like most fighters today. Thinning out the bottom to make it look longer would give the illusion of a smaller roster, but that'd probably be better than all of the nothing going on in the concept.

Edit: The "filter" itself, while minimal, is cool looking though. It's incredible how much better the game could look with deeper colors and darker outlines.

Sigmaah

Ya supers into tag for mixup is a big issue imo. Like bruh ur getting opened up free especially if its million dollars. I'd like for them to tweak this somehow but I dunno how that's gonna work.

Oh well I got sword super with sigma so I can do that dirty shit too :>

JayEH

Ya supers into tag for mixup is a big issue imo. Like bruh ur getting opened up free especially if its million dollars. I'd like for them to tweak this somehow but I dunno how that's gonna work.

Bringing back DHC would solve it.

Elbereth

This.

Any time I'm up against a Dante, they will normally panic out million dollars, not much I can do but stand there and eat the mixup.

Top Bottom