• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite |OT| Marvel vs. Capcom: 4 Female Characters

tariniel

This is the first fighting games I've played where my hands wont listen to me in-match. I think it's because of having two characters. I'll get a launcher and then do the wrong characters combo, last night I got a launcher with Dante but tried to do a Gamora air-gun combo with him. That happened over and over and over and is incredibly frustrating. Other than that I think this game is really fun to play with friends. There are several characters that look fun to play but I don't think I should switch until I can get my hands to listen to my brain.

Anyway, I have an issue punishing Thanos. My friend likes do either low/overhead into a grounded string that tries to launch, but if I block it I can never get a punish with any button I've tried as Dante. Sometimes Gamora I can just raw launcher it. Anyone have advice? Do I need to push block to get an easier punish?

FSLink

Banned
That’s the problem which is causing the mix ups. DHC wouldn’t allow that.
Would also make install supers be more useful.

Maybe they should just start with making tagging cost a bar if a super is already on screen. Want the silly beam mixup? Spend more resources.

Negaduck

Why not just immediately swoop?

Had to delay a second for the character to come in, jumping swoop has a second delay from it, on the ground its more instant. So I try to toss a WW to lock down, jump back and swoop, swap to jedah.

With jedah, if they duck, FB can hit them if jedah comes a second late, if I tag a little early jedah can come in for a low or, I can begin by going in with a dash, j. Lp, j. Lk, pinwheel for lock down. If FB is ready to tag after the pinwheel, swap back to FB for a jump xx qcb+lk instant low fake out.

If that doesn't work they escape or something lol.

Sigmaah

Still don't get that x dash cancelling thing goddamnit

It's only for the command dash, u shoot buster, command dash then during the dash u can shoot another buster, hold down to cancel dash and block, shoot ice slicer boom etc.

Tbh I don't think it helps him THAT much.
Being in armor for the whole match does more imo. It's not that bad trying to be in armor all the time cause he gains Meter in armor. (THANK GOD)

This.

Any time I'm up against a Dante, they will normally panic out million dollars, not much I can do but stand there and eat the mixup.

There's a vid showing how to get out of MD but seems kinda hard cause u gotta push block a certain time but that doesn't include someone tagging and tryna mix u up. It's really a shame that I can lose cause someone throws out a random super and thorns...

DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THORNS lmao. I used to respect tf out of dorm players cause he's not easy to use. Now I see dorm and I'm like HA. Easy mode achieved.

Why can this nigga do like 8 dark holes in a row? why does dark hole come out so fucking fast? Same for pillar? Even knowing that I can hold up to get out of thorns that shit is still OD.

I dunno if anyone else is thinking this but niggas is sleeping on strider. I played a Strider/Ultron player who used mine stone. Dude would have orbs on deck all the time and Jesus Strider is nice. Deff gonna check him out.

JeTmAn81

I just always try to stay in the air against someone who seems like they're about to beam/lockdown super. It defeats the high/low at least.

BadWolf

Deleted this piece of shit game. Reality stone and Dante are nonsense among other bullshit. Nonsense control scheme. 15 million otgs. Busted broke ass game. You guys have fun, I’m out.

A game this open, with this many characters and zero pre-launch public balance testing will have issues. It's pretty much a given.

Gotta wait for patch(es).

This game is so tense. My hands get really damn sweaty while playing, to the point where I have to take breaks!

Deleted this piece of shit game. Reality stone and Dante are nonsense among other bullshit. Nonsense control scheme. 15 million otgs. Busted broke ass game. You guys have fun, I’m out.

Beautiful.

Elbereth

I just always try to stay in the air against someone who seems like they're about to beam/lockdown super. It defeats the high/low at least.

Same.

It's more difficult to evade if you don't have a flight character. You have to come down some time...And it's usually on a million dollars. lol

brian!

They should def at least try to make the dude doing the mixup in the super more visible, dorm super is the worst offender ive seen where dante just gets his 85% camo index. Well either him or spiderman

patchday

get your
ass
back in here bro. Just stay in Training room like me and you'll never be triggered. I also like to duel with gafs for fun

For real tho if time permits I am going to get online tonight. PS4 just hit my credit card for a bunch of money for online fees so I need to make use of this ;(

One day man I'm playing my online games on PC only to avoid these fees. But then again I'm planning to get Splatoon for Switch so guess I cant escape these console online fees

Producer

Just so everyone knows, if they're just dashing over you and tagging without putting you in blockstun, that's a free throw. Just hold forward and HP and you'll automatically throw the tagging character. Tag attack is 5f startup and throws are 3f. You don't really need to know what direction they'll be coming from, you can just throw.

see this is the type of data im looking for. is there any other resources on frame data? searching through twitter fucking sucks

It's only for the command dash, u shoot buster, command dash then during the dash u can shoot another buster, hold down to cancel dash and block, shoot ice slicer boom etc.

Tbh I don't think it helps him THAT much.
Being in armor for the whole match does more imo. It's not that bad trying to be in armor all the time cause he gains Meter in armor. (THANK GOD)

There's a vid showing how to get out of MD but seems kinda hard cause u gotta push block a certain time but that doesn't include someone tagging and tryna mix u up. It's really a shame that I can lose cause someone throws out a random super and thorns...

DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THORNS lmao. I used to respect tf out of dorm players cause he's not easy to use. Now I see dorm and I'm like HA. Easy mode achieved.

Why can this nigga do like 8 dark holes in a row? why does dark hole come out so fucking fast? Same for pillar? Even knowing that I can hold up to get out of thorns that shit is still OD.

I dunno if anyone else is thinking this but niggas is sleeping on strider. I played a Strider/Ultron player who used mine stone. Dude would have orbs on deck all the time and Jesus Strider is nice. Deff gonna check him out.

ur a god

Yeah maybe it won't help him out that much but every little bit goes a long way with characters like X.

That’s the problem which is causing the mix ups. DHC wouldn’t allow that.

This will have a side effect of making characters with install and quick recovery hypers to become way better (Dante becomes even more top tier relatively), because it will allow them to do the lockdown super, then dhc into an install or something quick, and then they still get to run mixups on you. The option would basically still exist for some character, but others will completely lose out on that option, and if you look at the cast who would benefit the most, characters like Dante, Zero, Gamora, and Strider off the top of my head, they really aren't hurting in the stand still and let me mixup you up department.

This is a great idea!

I feel like a hard limit on what mix-ups can be done inside beam/lockdown supers would be best.

High/low or left/right only.

I think having it be left/right only would make the mix-ups and setups harder to execute and easier to defend.

Maybe the beam supers also just need their damage nerfed badly so that taking the hit from the super might be less risky than taking the mix-up.

Or make beam supers scale follow ups like throws do. That would actually just make the mix-up much less damaging.

FSLink

Banned
I feel like a hard limit on what mix-ups can be done inside beam/lockdown supers would be best.

High/low or left/right only.

I think having it be left/right only would make the mix-ups and setups harder to execute and easier to defend.

Maybe the beam supers also just need their damage nerfed badly so that taking the hit from the super might be less risky than taking the mix-up.

Or make beam supers scale follow ups like throws do. That would actually just make the mix-up much less damaging.
I dunno, dumb mixups is what Marvel is all about. I'm hesitant to call for a damage nerf or mix-up nerf just yet. I just think it's pretty silly whenever you get breathing room and call a super, the opponent has to eat a mix-up if they're not flying around (and even if they are in the air already they have to block or they don't usually get much for punishing you for doing so)

Bob White

Nerfing the damage doesn't fix the actual lockdown part of super/tag. That's what broken. Being able to lock people down and then charge up whatever will still hold amazing value. Nerfed damage or not.

I legit learned all I needed to know about this game's meta from watching that Richard vs champ fight a few weeks ago. Richard threw out random flame pillar moves with Dante. If it hits, free combo, if blocked, cancel into super and get a free mix up.

It's just so stupid. The problem is the tagging. Random supers shouldn't be a legit tactic, so make the tag after a super cost something.

Zissou

Marvel 3: mix-ups during supers require either DHC into install super, or follow my lead, and both cost two bars. Also, in most cases they were worse because chicken block was way better and it was easy to input invincible supers during an opposing super flash to blow up rando supers. They need do adjust something in infinite other the meta is gonna be (super > tag)*n.

JeTmAn81

Marvel 3: mix-ups during supers require either DHC into install super, or follow my lead, and both cost two bars. Also, in most cases they were worse because chicken block was way better and it was easy to input invincible supers during an opposing super flash to blow up rando supers. They need do adjust something in infinite other the meta is gonna be (super > tag)*n.

This was my first impression of the game. That lockdown super, tag, mixup was going to be everything. It seemed like the initial info about auto-blocking would make that not as much of a problem, but it doesn't seem to have panned out...

Sayad

This was my first impression of the game. That lockdown super, tag, mixup was going to be everything. It seemed like the initial info about auto-blocking would make that not as much of a problem, but it doesn't seem to have panned out...

Isn't auto blocking still in the game if you push block, it just doesn't work against supers?!

Sigmaah

Took Tuesday off.

YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS BOIIIS!!!

I will be finding out whatever tech I can for my boi sigma. I think this may be the first time I fully go super saiyan ham on learning the ins and outs of a character.

Negaduck

I try to put myself in a position where a lock down super or something hits me while jumping to try to mitigate their ability to mix up.

During reality storms and everything I try to stay airborn and just be as evasive as possible like running out x factor (life whip helps so much fighting storms).

brian!

Yeah the issue mainly arises on meaty supers

Btw jedah players, have yall found a bnb replacement yet?

I guess i could just do j.hp loops but it doesnt feel ssstylish

Producer

yep, kinda crazy to think about. when i first found out that you can tag out during supers i was pretty surprised. should probably cost a bar. also imo i kinda think you shouldnt be able to tag out of a blocked launcher

kobu

You could see the flaws in the tag system months before the game even came out. Were all these dudes playing the game at events not giving capcom any feedback?

ZeroCDR

The flaws of the tag system are a familiar part of the Marvel fun though, you can do the same BS too. I'd rather they tidy up the two characters that are clearly way above everyone else first before having to resort to tweaking the tag system.

brian!

The flaws of the tag system are a familiar part of the Marvel fun though, you can do the same BS too. I'd rather they tidy up the two characters that are clearly way above everyone else first before having to resort to tweaking the tag system.

This is basically my thoughts on it, w/ the caveat that yes at this point in time it certainly seems like the system favors certain types of characters over others. But all the bs stuff about it i love

Dahbomb

You could see the flaws in the tag system months before the game even came out. Were all these dudes playing the game at events not giving capcom any feedback?
It's impossible to give balance feedback on a game like this on the spot. No training mode to test stuff and figure out counter plays. It takes a month of wide community play to figure out issues.

Feedback could easily have been taken the wrong way too. Maybe they could have said the tag system is too strong and they nerfed it so hard it wouldn't be worth using much.

The issue isn't that the game has issues, that was expected with the engine they made. The issue is how fast Capcom is going to do something about the issues. The longer they sit on the issues the worse the game is going to be in the eyes of the pro players. Players like Alioune have already started to turn on the game and it's barely been a month.

FSLink

Banned
Agreed, plus if you play this series it's not like it was unexpected for some dumb stuff to be found.

Dahbomb

If some counter play existed to the dumb stuff in the game then it would be fine.

Like getting locked down by hypers has no counter play. In the older VS games, at least you had the option of a crossover counter into an invincible move to get out of situations like these. Maybe that's the solution... re-implement the auto guard system to work on hypers, have push block actually work against stuff in the game and rework the Counter Switch so that it costs 1 bar if you are in BLOCK STUN and the character coming in is invincible for a few frames.

Also bring back chicken blocking.

brian!

Was ultron beam straight up beating other beams ever classified as a bug or is that just ultron outclassing other characters again

JeTmAn81

If some counter play existed to the dumb stuff in the game then it would be fine.

Like getting locked down by hypers has no counter play. In the older VS games, at least you had the option of a crossover counter into an invincible move to get out of situations like these. Maybe that's the solution... re-implement the auto guard system to work on hypers, have push block actually work against stuff in the game and rework the Counter Switch so that it costs 1 bar if you are in BLOCK STUN and the character coming in is invincible for a few frames.

Also bring back chicken blocking.

I'm definitely missing the things you could do in Marvel 3 while blocking. Crossover counters and Xfactor. Counter switch is nice but you still feel helpless when they tag right after you and punish your incoming character.

It's impossible to give balance feedback on a game like this on the spot. No training mode to test stuff and figure out counter plays. It takes a month of wide community play to figure out issues.

Feedback could easily have been taken the wrong way too. Maybe they could have said the tag system is too strong and they nerfed it so hard it wouldn't be worth using much.

The issue isn't that the game has issues, that was expected with the engine they made. The issue is how fast Capcom is going to do something about the issues. The longer they sit on the issues the worse the game is going to be in the eyes of the pro players. Players like Alioune have already started to turn on the game and it's barely been a month.

Alioune turns on everything though. And players turn on games all the time, and come back to them. I'd rather Capcom really think about how to correct this stuff than rushing out a patch besides the Spidey Infinite, because it'd be a waste of everyone's time if it's off kilter.

At some level, people need to accept that the game won't be perfect and play it for what it is. That doesn't mean they shouldn't host complaints and such, but fighting games can live with a few ridiculous problems here and there.

brian!

I'm definitely missing the things you could do in Marvel 3 while blocking. Crossover counters and Xfactor. Counter switch is nice but you still feel helpless when they tag right after you and punish your incoming character.

I mean that's on you for pushing buttons tho

Dahbomb

You don't need a year to figure out that some of the bugs I listed in this thread a while ago are issues that need correcting now rather than later.

The overall mechanics in the game are something left for another discussion though. I feel like a bunch of issues are getting clustered together when the real priority are the vicious bugs. Losing sight of the big picture here.

Right now the issues in terms of priority are:

Bug fixes > Mechanics issues > Stone imbalance > character imbalance

It's impossible to even judge how to change characters until all the bugs and mechanics are fixed. Maybe it turns out Dante's Shotgun being an overhead was a bug just like his Stinger is (or rather an unintended feature, it's certainly not a bug). If his problems are fixed then maybe he isn't as good anymore and you don't need to actually nerf him specifically. Same for stuff like Captain Marvel and Gamora.

The only exception to character balance are Chris and Ryu. These characters are so bad that you don't even need to wait for fixes to know that they will remain bad.

You don't need a year to figure out that some of the bugs I listed in this thread a while ago are issues that need correcting now rather than later.

The overall mechanics in the game are something left for another discussion though. I feel like a bunch of issues are getting clustered together when the real priority are the vicious bugs. Losing sight of the big picture here.

A year is ridiculous. Like, a January patch would be perfect in terms of balance I think, or maybe even February, but for bugs those should go immediately.

Dahbomb

A year is ridiculous. Like, a January patch would be perfect in terms of balance I think, or maybe even February, but for bugs those should go immediately.
That's what most people think and I agree with that.

Like bug fixes within a month (meaning as soon as they can fix them before the Battle of the Stones) and then balance patch (including characters) after Battle of the Stones which is in December.

After that you bug fix again immediately (because this is Marvel and you will just have new bugs) and a balance patch again after EVO.

Top Bottom