• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite |OT| Marvel vs. Capcom: 4 Female Characters

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
ah mah bad Jay.

So interesting, just won a game that ranked me back up to rank 13, and it wouldnt let me rematch because I was out of beginners league range. I knew you couldnt choose it from the menu but didnt know it wouldnt even let you rematch as soon as you ranked up.

edit: I cant fucking train with fight request on, I was told this was a DED GAME ON PC DAMN IT. Let me train!

Marvel 3 is the only vs title to not reuse assets from previous games. This is the norm for this series and although they did a bad job with the touch up, complaining about copy/paste is disingenuous or ignorant at this point.

Plus new characters like gamora, captain marvel, and Ultron all look great.

Ignorant? The first 3 games had different themes, but the reused assets in for MvC2 more than tripled the roster from MvC.

Roster wise, MvCI is MvC3 with 5 characters swapped for new ones. That is certainly something to complain about considering we will be paying on top of that for all the new characters in the future.

Don't get me wrong, I like the game A LOT because the most important thing is fun mechanics. However, there are some very serious complaints to be had about how it was rolled out.

Also, the fact that the new characters seem to be more polished in both visuals and fitting the new mechanics leaves a sour taste.

vg260

Any word from CronusMAX users? I found a local shop that has one for 60. I'm pretty sure I am going to bite on that, since it's $10 cheaper than online, and it's universal. Good for tourneys/friend's setups. But I am wondering about usability - once it's set up it is easy plug n play like the Brooks?

No, it requires controller authentication and is more awkward on PS4 due to needing a controller plugged into a USB hub prevent timeouts. Definitely a pain for tourneys.

I have one which I got before the Brooks, and while it could do some cool stuff, I would recommend a Brook one easily if you want a plug n play device. It's less flexible, but way simpler. It's the most recommended one for a reason.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Capcom saw the thread title and went "motherfuckers, ill show them, release MH first, see how they like their clever little title"

Makes me wonder if she'll be released alone.

With there being now a number discrepancy between Marvel and Capcom characters, I don't think they're going to bother with releasing characters in pairs. I think they'll focus on one character at a time and release them as they're finished. It looks like Mon Hun is coming first and I'd expect BP to be next. Will Sigma be next after them? Who knows?

Ryce

I'm still going with these predictions, with a new character releasing every two weeks post-launch:

October 3 - Monster Hunter (moveset rundown, alternate costume reveal, and release date this coming week on Capcom-Unity)
October 17 - Black Panther (trailer at NYCC)
October 31 - Sigma
November 14 - Venom
November 28 - Winter Soldier
December 12 - Black Widow (trailer at PSX)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Arcade Mode? Set damage to highest, set difficulity to very easy.

When he holds up his arms to guard, break them. All out offense on the arms. If you do, he'll be stunned and take a lot of extra damage when you hit him.

Soul stone, whenever he puts his hands in defense position spam the stone surge, it will let you build tons of metter for you to spam supers.
Y'all the real MVPs.

Also just realized you can save teams for quick selection. Post-launch I'm discovering everything I thought was gone from UMvC3 is still there -_-

Rhaknar

getting matched up with palm breaker loop players and shit... alrighty then?

I wanna do loops :(

Giga Man

Any X players here? How's he treatin' ya? I always found Mega Man incarnations in the VS. series to be complicated characters: Classic in MvC1 & 2, and Volnutt in TvC. How is X in MvCi?

Sigmaah

Any X players here? How's he treatin' ya? I always found Mega Man incarnations in the VS. series to be complicated characters: Classic in MvC1 & 2, and Volnutt in TvC. How is X in MvCi?

I think he's gonna be a hard character to master and he's deff gonna have trouble getting in by himself once ur second characters dies but other than that I'm loving him.

IF I GOTTA WAIT TILL THE END OF THE YEAR FOR SIGMA IMA SO FUCKING TIGHT. HOW U GONNA HYPE UP MY MANS AND NOT RELEASE HIM FIRST?!?

No, it requires controller authentication and is more awkward on PS4 due to needing a controller plugged into a USB hub prevent timeouts. Definitely a pain for tourneys.

I have one which I got before the Brooks, and while it could do some cool stuff, I would recommend a Brook one easily if you want a plug n play device. It's less flexible, but way simpler. It's the most recommended one for a reason.
Shit. This is not what I wanted to hear at all, but exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks 2n2. Looks like my ass is going to have to wait for Brooks. I don't want to deal with needing controllers plugged in...likely all the USB slots are going to be filled with sticks anyway, those things are a premium at fight nights.

I'd rather play as Zero. Idk, he's tricky for me. I haven't found the essential way to utilize his abilities.

FSLink

Banned
Shit. This is not what I wanted to hear at all, but exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks 2n2. Looks like my ass is going to have to wait for Brooks. I don't want to deal with needing controllers plugged in...likely all the USB slots are going to be filled with sticks anyway, those things are a premium at fight nights.
Not to mention older Cronus adapters had some major issues like introducing input lag to both players plugged in. Pretty positive it's not the case with the newer ones but I wouldn't like having to go to tourneys and having to check if it's legal everytime due to the reputation. Brooks was always legal at events I went to.

Complicated but I have a good feeling about him and Mind Stone or Time Stone. I'll keep him in the lab until I'm more confident with more characters, still unsure on a great partner for him in this game.

Hyped MonHun could be the first character. Character I was looking forward to the most after the leaks. She looks like a ton of fun and all the stuff they borrowed straight from how Hunters move from the series got me hella hyped.

Not into Marvel, so those other 4 characters are pretty whatever to me but I'll give them a shot. I love Megaman X, but Sigma doesn't really appeal to me aesthetically all that much.

Rhaknar

well this night sure was completely disheartening. 3 days after the game's release, everyone is doing palm breaker loops, 100 hit combos with dante, fly/unfly ultron and dormammu combos, and im sitting here with magic series Hulk... my only wins were against people that must have just bought the game and apparently cant even DO a magic series, the rest I was just completely destroyed. And clearly my lab time is doing nothing for me so I dont know what to do, I really wanted to try with this one (hell I never even went in a training mode before in a fighting game), I thought the skill gap between ranks would be bigger and you would have some time facing people around your level, but im already fighting against what seem like LiJoe or Fchamp at rank 13.

This is all on me btw, dont take this as me bashing the game, far from it. But the truth is, right now I dont feel like playing anymore. I guess I'm one of those guys we joke about on streams that get blown up and we go "you just made that guy uninstall the game".

I really dont know why I keep buying fighting games tbh. At least I supported it I guess /shrug.

brian!

Since it's a point system the ranks should get better as time goes on, like gold was actually pretty good in sfv when it started.

FSLink

Banned
well this night sure was completely disheartening. 3 days after the game's release, everyone is doing palm breaker loops, 100 hit combos with dante, fly/unfly ultron and dormammu combos, and im sitting here with magic series Hulk... my only wins were against people that must have just bought the game and apparently cant even DO a magic series, the rest I was just completely destroyed. And clearly my lab time is doing nothing for me so I dont know what to do, I really wanted to try with this one (hell I never even went in a training mode before in a fighting game), I thought the skill gap between ranks would be bigger and you would have some time facing people around your level, but im already fighting against what seem like LiJoe or Fchamp at rank 13.

This is all on me btw, dont take this as me bashing the game, far from it. But the truth is, right now I dont feel like playing anymore. I guess I'm one of those guys we joke about on streams that get blown up and we go "you just made that guy uninstall the game".

I really dont know why I keep buying fighting games tbh. At least I supported it I guess /shrug.
Welcome to fighting games. Eventually you hit a wall when trying to leveling up (every player gets to this point), the good players break through it. It's up to you to figure out how to do it. Also don't take rank so seriously, especially this early on where players like FChamp aren't in the rank they *should* be. Hit up some lobbies and have fun learning. Don't let a few losses discourage you from trying. Lab time after 3 days is nothing.

JeTmAn81

I did nothing but lose when I started Marvel 3. The only thing that kept me going was how much fun the actual gameplay was. Keep practicing, and do your research on optimal combos and gameplay strategies.

JayEH

It's the first few days,everyone won't be in proper ranks for a while. Also you can't expect to be good right now either. Training mode doesn't immediately equate success.

FluxWaveZ

Welcome to fighting games. Eventually you hit a wall when trying to leveling up (every player gets to this point), the good players break through it. It's up to you to figure out how to do it. Also don't take rank so seriously, especially this early on where players like FChamp aren't in the rank they *should* be. Hit up some lobbies and have fun learning. Don't let a few losses discourage you from trying. Lab time after 3 days is nothing.

I wouldn't say all fighting games are this vicious at launch. In fact, this is the first fighting game in a while—including SFV—that's been this vicious at launch for me, with most people I face seemingly knowing exactly what they're doing with long combos.

FSLink

Banned
I wouldn't say all fighting games are this vicious at launch. In fact, this is the first fighting game in a while—including SFV—that's been this vicious at launch for me, with most people I face seemingly knowing exactly what they're doing with long combos.

True, but we'll probably look back at even players like FChamp and wonder how we fell for Dorm 3C traps so easily.

Speaking of which I need to lab that escape out of it. Haven't had time to lab anything all week.

"well this night sure was completely disheartening. 3 days after the game's release, everyone is doing palm breaker loops, "

Palm breaker loops are really, really, really easy, so I wouldn't take that as evidence of you being left behind. All of dante's moves do like 15 hits each, and likewise, those ultron combos are also very easy.

It's also important to note that while the game is only 3 days old...fighting games aren't 3 days old. People went through what you're going through, they just did it years ago and kept pushing through it for months and years. Getting their ass waxed for months on end just to get to a half-way semi-decent skill level.

You say you really want to try with this game, it's important to realize that if this is the first time you've even bothered hitting training mode for a fighting game, you've only just begun to "try" to improve at fighting games. You're still right at the starting line.

brian!

Some nlbc and wnf footage out there but it's still really rough play

Scr is live on twitch right now but it's pools and also full of rough play, game came out this week after all. Justin is 100% correct that early players have a gigantic advantage at these tournaments.

O shit punk on stream

vg260

If you're on PC, I still don't know what I'm doing and we can give it a go.

I spent all night just trying to do Spidey's 10 missions, and it would be a miracle if I pulled anything close out in a match.

MoxManiac

You really need to stop worrying about long/fancy combos and focus on improving fundamentals instead. How you play the neutral game is far more important than doing those fancy combos.

Not to mention older Cronus adapters had some major issues like introducing input lag to both players plugged in. Pretty positive it's not the case with the newer ones but I wouldn't like having to go to tourneys and having to check if it's legal everytime due to the reputation. Brooks was always legal at events I went to.
Even more reason not to get the Cronus. From reading up on it, I saw a lot of...."things"....so to speak that can be done with the device outside of simple controller conversions. While that other stuff is cool, it's absolutely NOT why I am buying it, and all I need is the converter. 2n2 already helped me make my mind up before, but you absolutely cemented that decision. Thanks to you, too. I need the most hassle free experience out there for this, and outside of maybe needing to do a firmware update on the Brooks stick every so often, Brooks looks like the clear cut winner.

Stick with it friend, I'm not better off than you. I got the magic series down but once I tag all hell breaks loose in my head and my coordination goes bye bye. I still have hella fun and if you need someone to match up with and try to get better my psn is daytimewhisky

I'm always up for friendlies

FinKL

Some nlbc and wnf footage out there but it's still really rough play

Scr is live on twitch right now but it's pools and also full of rough play, game came out this week after all. Justin is 100% correct that early players have a gigantic advantage at these tournaments.

O shit punk on stream
Punk, Flash, and Cloud805 all had nasty resets. I don't even notice the resets mid combo when Flash and Cloud were playing Dante. Like I was saying earlier this game is filthy barely giving the opponent a chance to even play. Gotta love it

Don't beat your self up too hard man. I always have the exact same problem. I get demolished online then I ask myself why I even bought it, I don't have the time, I'm too old etc. In my experience that comes from playing randoms online. If I play with friends or run sets with someone from reddit or gaf I always have a great time even if I'm badly losing. Fighting games take alot of practice and right now loses are more important then wins. You need to study each loss and learn why you lost.

Are you on ps4? If so add me. Psn name is same as my gaf

Edit: I've been playing fighting games since sf2 and I fully accept I'm going to lose to a 13 year old who's mom bought this for him yesterday and it's his first fighting game. He doesn't even know who the Xmen are damnit.

Rhaknar we had great matches. I've been a serious fighting game head since sfii in arcades and have been playing in tournaments since I was 10. I saw lots of potential when you were playing and thought you did fine.

To give you an idea I've probably put 3000+ hours in marvel 2 training mode so I'm no rookie. One important thing is to just be aware of why you lost. Did you not punish enough? Did you do unsaved moves that left you open? Is it your movement? Is it your meter management?

Fighting games especially mahvel is a lot like learning an instrument. You will feel useless and no progress until you really start looking into what you are doing wrong and slowly correct it. As you improve one aspect then work on the others.

Don't give up pal and I know it's hard not to get frustrated but try to test yourself and see if you can mentally overcome the frustration and look at it as learning. The one bad thing with newer fighting games is that a lot of times you don't feel the other person deserved the victory. The entry level is low and cheese still has a chance to beat the most complex combos you know.

I echo everything everyone else has said. I didn't try to be good at games till SFV, but played fighting games my whole life. Was pretty shocked how little I actually knew even after years of mashing buttons. Too much nuanced stuff going on and that stuff carries between games. I'm horrible at marvel, just absolute garbage. So if you ever wanna run some sets you can add me on PSN if you're on PS4. My PSN is lonelyhandsclub.

Top Bottom