• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 | Production Thread

Doctor Strange's Eye of Agamotto is most likely an Infinity Stone (green).

doctor-strange.jpg

Then the last one has to come in Thor 3 or Black Panther for it to have an impact on the universe before Avengers 3.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
More from James Gunn's Q&A:

http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/content/20-guardians-galaxy-2-marvel-tidbits-james-gunn#axzz3znIQ3seA

• Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 starts filming in Atlanta on Thursday early in the morning.

• Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is not focusing on an Infinity Stone.

• Tyler Bates is returning to score, with Gunn stating it may be his best music/song yet.

• Gunn confirms Benicio Del Toro is not returning as The Collector.

• Gunn says Al Pacino is not playing/voicing Ego The Living Planet (fans campaigned Gunn for that; Pacino speculated to be playing The Grandmaster).

• No Supernova for Vol. 2.

• Nova is not in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.

• Gunn talked how there is more of Michael Rooker's Yondu and Karen Gillan's Nebula (both are rumored/speculated to join the Guardians team).

• Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 will feature more of Kraglin, played by Gunn's brother, Sean Gunn, who also provides motion reference for Rocket Raccoon on set (Gunn stressed his brother was not a sit-in for Rocket, but rather a motion-reference as they record Sean Gunn's movements and facial reactions, etc.).

• Marvel has a lot to do with Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2; they are the producers on the movie; Gunn respects their opinions a lot.

• Ronan will not be featured in the Guardians of the Galaxy sequel.

• James Gunn confirms a new female cast member for the Guardians of the Galaxy team and says she was the easiest to cast: "...most awesome and easiest person I've ever had to cast and blew me the fuck away. Really. She is amazing, and I can't wait to share her with the world." (Mantis is rumored to have joined the team played by Pom Klementieff, but it's unclear if that is who Gunn is referring to).

• A fan asked Gunn to say "Adam Warlock," which Gunn did (and that was all he said).

• Gunn said he isn't sure if he will direct Guardians of the Galaxy 3 (takes one movie at a time, has a lot of offers for other stuff, etc.).

• Nope. Beta Ray Bill wasn't in the Collector's collection in the first movie.

• Peter Quill doesn't go to the Negative Zone when the Infinity Stone almost kills him (Marvel doesn't own the Negative Zone, Fox does).

• Gunn also confirms one of the older Guardians of the Galaxy scripts mentioned Negative Zone, but they couldn't use it because Fox owns it.

• Gunn confirms they are not telling Spider-Man's orign story again.

• Gunn is also asked about rivalries between DC and Marvel, in which he also talks about different studios owning different Marvel characters and mentions how Marvel TV and Marvel Studios are different: "There is Marvel TV who is pretty disconnected from Marvel Film, which is owned by Disney, and that's really not connected at all."

• Gunn also said he is looking forward to seeing Deadpool, Batman Vs. Superman and especially Bryan Singer's X-Men: Apcolypse.

Read more: http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/content/20-guardians-galaxy-2-marvel-tidbits-james-gunn#ixzz3znJla9Ie

Pachimari

This makes me sad:
  • Gunn confirms Benicio Del Toro is not returning as The Collector.
  • Gunn talked how there is more of Michael Rooker's Yondu and Karen Gillan's Nebula (really don't want more Yondu. Please give me more Nebula though!)

These were already expected not to be in:
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is not focusing on an Infinity Stone.
  • Nova is not in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. (sad but expected)

I'm okay with this:
  • Ronan will not be featured in the Guardians of the Galaxy sequel.

He's totally gonna have an appearance!:
  • A fan asked Gunn to say "Adam Warlock," which Gunn did (and that was all he said).

This is some real shit:
  • "There is Marvel TV who is pretty disconnected from Marvel Film, which is owned by Disney, and that's really not connected at all." (as we already know, but also says that the MCU really isn't that connected).

So no Nova, no Collector, no stone. I'm sure the movie will be great, but it doesn't feel like it's starting that way. In fact, it doesn't even feel like it will tie into the MCU much at all.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So no Nova, no Collector, no stone. I'm sure the movie will be great, but it doesn't feel like it's starting that way. In fact, it doesn't even feel like it will tie into the MCU much at all.

While I'm super excited for GotG2, I will agree that I expected this film to be a bigger part of the overarching cinematic Marvel storyline. I especially expected it to be our introduction to Thanos proper, even if his actual screentime was limited I expected him to have a huge behind the scenes presence that would lead us into the Avengers Infinity Gauntlet storyline.

Now, I haven't a clue what this movie will be about.

Gunn also confirms one of the older Guardians of the Galaxy scripts mentioned Negative Zone, but they couldn't use it because Fox owns it.

This fucking sucks so bad to know. At some point, the writers were setting up the Negative Zone so they could eventually do Annihilation: Conquest. It's one of the stories I most want to see in the MCU and we won't get it.

The Kree

Banned
While I'm super excited for GotG2, I will agree that I expected this film to be a bigger part of the overarching cinematic Marvel storyline. I especially expected it to be our introduction to Thanos proper, even if his actual screentime was limited I expected him to have a huge behind the scenes presence that would lead us into the Avengers Infinity Gauntlet storyline.

Now, I haven't a clue what this movie will be about.

It will do all that, just not in the ways you may have wanted or expected. It's not entirely up to James Gunn how that happens anyway or he may be lying. We don't need to know everything about everything before the movie comes out.

Layell

I can see an Infinity Stone being in Wakanda as a "this is why we are so powerful" part, and based on things we heard while Marvel was seeking out a creative team. One being in Doctor Strange is basically a giveaway now.

I wouldn't mind it just being in Infinity Wars, it wouldn't surprise me if Thanos already had or was seeking it somewhere.

I can see an Infinity Stone being in Wakanda as a "this is why we are so powerful" part, and based on things we heard while Marvel was seeking out a creative team. One being in Doctor Strange is basically a giveaway now.

I wouldn't mind it just being in Infinity Wars, it wouldn't surprise me if Thanos already had or was seeking it somewhere.

Yeah I think with Phase 3, Panther and Strange are the obvious choices for shoving an Infinity Stone in there. I think Infinity War will begin with us knowing where all of them are, except I guess the Aether. We don't know if the Collector still has it.

Staf

Never read or heard of the GOTG prior to the first movie despite being an avid comicbook reader in the 90s early 2000, mainly Superman and WW though. But this movie is without a doubt my most anticipated comicbook movie. I just loved how colorful and fun it is, reminds me of the old Superman movies which i love.

Oh and about the TV stuff, until I see Daredevil kicking one of Thanos's goons in the teeth I'm inclined to agree with Gunn.

The TV and the movie universes being interconnected are a monkey paw wish, and the result is a thousand metaphors for The Battle of New York thrown around every half season of a Marvel Netflix show.

Accept it and move on.

B33

Banned
She wrote the script, right? Gunn wrote everything this time I think.

She wrote a draft of the script before Gunn was attached as a director.

Gunn apparently made significant changes to the script before it was shot. For example, the Walkman being used as a way to structure the story was Gunn's invention.

He wrote the script for the sequel without Perlman.

LycanXIII

Oh and about the TV stuff, until I see Daredevil kicking one of Thanos's goons in the teeth I'm inclined to agree with Gunn.

The TV and the movie universes being interconnected are a monkey paw wish, and the result is a thousand metaphors for The Battle of New York thrown around every half season of a Marvel Netflix show.

Accept it and move on.

Reading the Q&A part, I forgot about the Netflix series. I was just thinking SHIELD/Carter. So now I see it as almost three separate entities.

Kibbles

"• Gunn confirms they are not telling Spider-Man's orign story again."

Is he directing the new spider-man movie?

whipihguh

Banned
Kind of thrown off by Thanos not being in the movie. I figured him being in the first meant that they were going to build him up in a movie or two prior to Infinity Wars, and Guardians 2 seemed like the prime candidate to do so, even if he was just a minor player in the background like the first.

I'm wondering if he's actually going to be in any films before Infinity Wars, then. I would think Ragnarok would be another candidate to build him up, but it sounds like he wouldn't fit in there either, if the rumors have anything to say about it. Would really suck if his only build up was a few minutes in Guardians and a few after-credits stingers.

Beyond that, everything about this movie sounds great. Hope it can live up to the first, that one surpassed my expectations with how good it was.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

From Marvel.com:

http://marvel.com/news/movies/25742...tion_on_marvels_guardians_of_the_galaxy_vol_2

“Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2” is written and directed by James Gunn (“Guardians of the Galaxy,” “Slither”). The film marks the return of the original Guardians, including Chris Pratt (“Jurassic World,” “Guardians of the Galaxy”) as Peter Quill/Star-Lord; Zoe Saldana (“Guardians of the Galaxy,” “Star Trek Into Darkness”) as Gamora; Dave Bautista (“Spectre,” “Guardians of the Galaxy”) as Drax; Vin Diesel (“Guardians of the Galaxy,” “Furious 7”) as the voice of Groot; Bradley Cooper (“Joy,” “American Sniper”) as the voice of Rocket; Michael Rooker (“Guardians of the Galaxy,” “Jumper”) as Yondu; Karen Gillan (“Guardians of the Galaxy,” “The Big Short”) as Nebula; and Sean Gunn (“Guardians of the Galaxy,” “Gilmore Girls”) as Kraglin. New cast members include Pom Klementieff (“Oldboy”), Elizabeth Debicki (“The Great Gatsby,” “Everest”), Chris Sullivan (“The Knick,” “The Drop”) and Kurt Russell (“The Hateful Eight,” “Furious 7”).

Top Bottom