• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones |OT| A.K.A. Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones *spoilers for S1*

TheOddOne

Makes Hannibal look like Stephen Colbert.
tumblr_mt8zqpew251qmexh1o1_500.gif

Pachimari

I can see this becoming the best thing Marvel have ever created in the MCU if they keep up the quality, which they didn't do in Daredevil. But wow is this show terrifying.

But that ending to the pilot took me by surprise, and I found myself shocked by it.

Pachimari

A question regarding Jessica's ritual of repeating street names when under stress. I am sure it's something people with anxiety attacks do to calm down, but how is it called, I want to read a bit up on it.

It's called "The Spoiler System"

ayyyy lmao

It don't think that counts as a spoiler. She is doing it a few minutes in and repeats it. It's not hidden, it's not a secret, it's not something vastly obscure, it's something you are supposed to understand just by seeing it.

By "seeing it", do you mean watching the first episode, which a ton of people haven't done yet?

i mean

Oh come on now, that's not a spoiler. Kilgrave is Thanos, is what a spoiler is.

Given that Jessica Jones had time to be a hero, have an arch-nemesis, retire, and then have a general person refer to her "as one of them." I'm guessing this takes place at least a year or two after the current season of Agents of SHIELD.

Pachimari

Given that Jessica Jones had time to be a hero, have an arch-nemesis, retire, and then have a general person refer to her "as one of them." I'm guessing this takes place at least a year or two after the current season of Agents of SHIELD.

No, this should take place in November 2015 or at least around that time.

Cloyster

Banned

Every single Marvel Property besides Cap 1 takes place at the time of release

Gotdamn that ending.
I was not expecting the show to be this dark
, but I really like that it is. Amazing pilot. On to the next one!

He's referring to her as "one of them" in the same way a racist refers to all Muslims as terrorists.

In the MCU, all the public knows is that the Avengers and aliens exist.

Shaanyboi

Banned

No, aside from Agent Carter and Cap 1, all the MCU stuff is happening... well... when it happens. People exist with powers outside of the Inhumans, but if people see someone with powers, they're instantly going to assume they're Inhuman, whether or not they're correct. Enhanced are "the other" in this universe.

Misha

Banned
Man I'm already feeling strong things about this show. No idea if I'll feel comfortable enough to make it through the entire thing.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Yeah, I'm definitely hooked after seeing Episode 1. One of the strongest pilot episodes I've seen in awhile.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
No, aside from Agent Carter and Cap 1, all the MCU stuff is happening... well... when it happens. People exist with powers outside of the Inhumans.

So there are mutants and people with powers due to exposure that are just running around that no one mentions? I guess there's the Hulk and Daredevil, but I suppose Luke Cage would fit into that category.

Is anyone else get a constant feeling of sadness from watching this? Like, dread, that you can't look away from
That's the comic book. Whatever critic said the show was neo noir is right. lol

Omzz

I watched this lying down in my bed on the iPad with the lights closed and I'm creeped out as fuck. Now I cant sleep

That ending to the first episode though...I'm gonna love this show. Mahvel da gawds

Kevinroc

I was experiencing some skipping and loading problems at the end of the first episode. Ruined some of the effectiveness for me.

Dai101

Banned
So there are mutants and people with powers due to exposure that are just running around that no one mentions? I guess there's the Hulk and Daredevil, but I suppose Luke Cage would fit into that category.

There's also gifted without disclosure where they got it. Also asgardians and probably krees dicking around.

Pachimari

Mike Colter is seriously the perfect Luke Cage. And I never liked Krysten Ritter and doubted her, but she killed it as Jessica Jones in this pilot.

Shaanyboi

Banned

That's the comic book. Whatever critic said the show was neo noir is right. lol

Not many, but there are. That's what SHIELD's more advanced operations kept busy most of the time - keeping that shit quiet. Absorbing Man is on that list too. There are lab accidents, random occurrences of nature, etc. Remember what Nick Fury said to Tony at the end of Iron Man 1? "You think you're the only superhero in the world? You've become part of a bigger universe. You just don't know it yet."

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There's also gifted without disclosure where they got it. Also asgardians and probably krees dicking around.
Yeah, I think I'll just go back to ignoring the MCU. It's already making my head hurt. lol

Mike Colter is seriously the perfect Luke Cage. And I never liked Krysten Ritter and doubted her, but she killed it as Jessica Jones in this pilot.
I had my doubts too, and wasn't really feeling it until the middle of the episode.

Since all MCU stuff takes place when its released, this is precisely why
that dude saying "one of them" is simply referring to her being a superhero, like the avengers he's seen on tv. NOT an Inhuman. (Thank god.)

I don't think someone in the MCU sees Thor on tv and is like "Oh, no, he's not someone born with powers, precisely, or someone granted powers, he's an alien from a plane called Asgard." They just think he's a dude with crazy powers.

Look at the timeline

(Spoilers through episode 2)
Kilgrave spent an extended period of time manipulating a powered Jessica. Jessica manages to extricate herself from his control and he is GOT by a bus.
Muuuuuch time passes.
Kilgrave manipulates a doctor and the bus driver to get fresh kidneys, a process that must have taken a few weeks.
The doctor has had enough time to be drummed out of his business and forced to teach community college science.
Jessica and Trish's friendship disintegrates.
Kilgrave finds a new girl to manipulate and does so for at least a month, as they had a month-long anniversary dinner, also a significant period of time.

Even in the most conservative estimate, Jessica has had her powers for at least a year and a half.

Also, the core of the character is that she's had her powers for a very long time, long enough to try to be a hero and then give it all up after trauma. Trying to consolidate all that into a timeline that allows her to also be an Inhuman demolishes the entire point of her story.

That's why that speculation bothers me, to be honest. It's not trolling, it's just a reaction to putting MCU continuity snooping over character building.

Wut? We have had too many villains just come and go in the MCU. We need some to have some continuity, which Wilson Fisk and Loki are doing.

The way they are portraying Kilgrave - I can't possibly see them justifying having such a monster live. There's no way to control or stop him.

And from a narrative standpoint, it would be such a huge cop-out. Bigger than Red Skull.

The way they are portraying Kilgrave - I can't possibly see them justifying having such a monster live.

lol yeah no he's going to live, he have many more great and interesting interactions with Jessica even later on. Really great moments indeed in the later comic and panels. Though he's less of a problem per say if they go that route still. He has a hold over her in some ways if they cross paths, though having luke and love ones helps big time.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Not many, but there are. That's what SHIELD's more advanced operations kept busy most of the time - keeping that shit quiet. Absorbing Man is on that list too. There are lab accidents, random occurrences of nature, etc. Remember what Nick Fury said to Tony at the end of Iron Man 1? "You think you're the only superhero in the world? You've become part of a bigger universe. You just don't know it yet."
I guess it's weird that the Purple Man/Kilgrave would exist in the MCU but no one would mention it in the countless movies. But again, I just need to stop thinking about the MCU. :p

I suppose my other question was whether or not
she was Jewel and if she had some kind of masked hero persona... but that doesn't make sense in the MCU because up until Daredevil, there are no "secret" superheroes. Everyone knows who Tony Stark, Steve Rogers, et al, are.

Chariot

The way they are portraying Kilgrave - I can't possibly see them justifying having such a monster live. There's no way to control or stop him.

And from a narrative standpoint, it would be such a huge cop-out. Bigger than Red Skull.
Yeah, he could just walk away for multiple reasons. Because he wants to, because he is scared of something, because he is badly wounded. A lot of things really, that don't involve his death.

Is anyone else get a constant feeling of sadness from watching this? Like, dread, that you can't look away from

It's all in the very deliberate execution. If you compare it something like Daredevil, where the photography and setting is very sort of controlled and "flat", very smooth camera work, this show is hand held, you can hear every friggin mote of dust in every room. It's expansive in the most unsettling way.

Every shot and every piece of sound design opens up the settings as much as possible and in all that space
Kilgrave or someone under his control could be lurking.

It's absolutely terrifying.

But there is a way to stop him and they figured it out in the comics...

Robin64

Hang on, episode 2/MCU question:
Did they just show the MetLife building? I thought that Avengers Tower was supposed to be there instead in the MCU.

I guess it's weird that the Purple Man/Kilgrave would exist in the MCU but no one would mention it in the countless movies. But again, I just need to stop thinking about the MCU. :p

I suppose my other question was whether or not
she was Jewel and if she had some kind of masked hero persona... but that doesn't make sense in the MCU because up until Daredevil, there are no "secret" superheroes. Everyone knows who Tony Stark, Steve Rogers, et al, are.

Not true.

Hank Pym was Ant Man during WWII.

(just tagging it because the original sentiment was tagged)

lol yeah no he's going to live he have many more great and interesting interactions with Jessica even later on. Really great moments indeed in the later comic and panels. Though he's less of a problem per say if they go that route still, he still has a hold over her in some ways.

You're assuming they are going to follow the comics point for point, which Marvel has proven time and time again that they don't care about doing.

You're assuming they are going to follow the comics point for point, which Marvel has proven time and time again that they don't care about doing.

An you're assuming that they will kill Jessica Jones arch Nemesis(where as they won't kill Kingpin). Just because he's a monster.

Top Bottom