• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones |OT| A.K.A. Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones *spoilers for S1*

eastx

Liking this show a lot 4 episodes in. Sucks to hear that it seemingly turns to shit by the end(or at least episode 10? Trying to avoid spoilers while skimming overall thoughts).

I quit Daredevil mid-episode 2 out of boredom and lack of engagement, but am willing to give it another shot, assuming I feel as strongly about JJ by the end as I do now.

Yes, it picks up again after episode 10. And considering how Daredevil episode 2 is one of the best in the series (or any action series), that continues to be a really weird place to give up on it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
And considering how Daredevil episode 2 is one of the best in the series (or any action series), that continues to be a really weird place to give up on it.

On Daredevil: I actually gave up relatively early into Ep. 2(sometime during him as a boy stitching up his father). I had real trouble getting hooked into Ep. 1 and with that sluggish start to ep. 2, I shut it off and never looked back again. So I only really watched the first episode of DD actually.

Will give it another chance after I finish JJ though.

Goodstyle

Finished it. Really bummed out about
Kilgrave dying. I know he was alive in the comics, and that he was in prison or something, so I'm sad he doesn't have a better fate on the show. I get that no prison in existence could possibly hold him, but I just really liked him you know? David Tenant was so entertaining as him, he was the main reason I enjoyed this season. Just sad to see him go out like that.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Liking this show a lot 4 episodes in. Sucks to hear that it seemingly turns to shit by the end(or at least episode 10? Trying to avoid spoilers while skimming overall thoughts).

I quit Daredevil mid-episode 2 out of boredom and lack of engagement, but am willing to give it another shot, assuming I feel as strongly about JJ by the end as I do now.

Episode 10 has one plot thread that is really frustratingly dumb, but the rest is fine for the most part. The remaining episodes are solid.

Still no renewal announcement from Marvel? I don't think they'll go ahead with a second season until after Defenders then.

They still have to really show off Daredevil Season 2 and Luke Cage, they still have to start publicly putting Iron Fist together, and apparently Defenders needs to be out the door by a certain date. Sadly, there's too much on their plate at the moment to start talking about anything post Defenders.

diaspora

Kilgrave dying. I know he was alive in the comics, and that he was in prison or something, so I'm sad he doesn't have a better fate on the show. I get that no prison in existence could possibly hold him, but I just really liked him you know? David Tenant was so entertaining as him, he was the main reason I enjoyed this season. Just sad to see him go out like that.

Luke is immune to the Purple Man in the comics anyway. IIRC, all the Thunderbolts have nanites in them
nanomachines lol

It was and wasn't a good idea to look at this thread. I just started E7, and other than some less than stellar acting, I am really liking it.

Like the fact that they aren't writing a generically "likable" protagonist. She's somewhat human...at least compared to the rest of the cast.

Dalek

Finished it up today. I thought episodes 11 and 12 lost a lot of steam and really made a case for a shorter episode season-but the finale was great in my opinion. I loved seeing Claire and I liked the very final scene with Malcolm. Bring on season 2.

comic book logic just has prisons where they "take away your powers" while you're incarcerated and everyone just goes with it. I don't think the MCU is ready for that kind of suspension of reality just yet.

Joni

They could try a soundproof cell where he only has contact with a deaf guard. Or a soundproof cell in let's say Spain or Greece or Morocco.

LaNaranja

They could try a soundproof cell where he only has contact with a deaf guard. Or a soundproof cell in let's say Spain or Greece or Morocco.

Or just have a throw away scene of Coulson taking him away. Then again that would just raise more questions as to why SHIELD has been ignoring all the shit going on in Hell's Kitchen and why Jessica, Luke, and Daredevil weren't asked to join the Secret Warriors when those three seem way more competent that Lincoln and Melt Man.

Mariolee

Or just have a throw away scene of Coulson taking him away. Then again that would just raise more questions as to why SHIELD has been ignoring all the shit going on in Hell's Kitchen and why Jessica, Luke, and Daredevil weren't asked to join the Secret Warriors when those three seem way more competent that Lincoln and Melt Man.

The Daredevil stuff I may understand since aside from Stick and Daredevil himself there isn't really anything superheroic as Kingpin was just a man. This Jessica Jones stuff though, I mean I guess they're distracted by all the Inhuman and Ward stuff that keeps fucking their shit up.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The Daredevil stuff I may understand since aside from Stick and Daredevil himself there isn't really anything superheroic as Kingpin was just a man. This Jessica Jones stuff though, I mean I guess they're distracted by all the Inhuman and Ward stuff that keeps fucking their shit up.
The fact that Ward is the greatest villain SHIELD has ever faced kind of makes SHIELD the most ineffective fighting force in the history of humanity, so. lol

Shaanyboi

Banned
The fact that Ward is the greatest villain SHIELD has ever faced kind of makes SHIELD the most ineffective fighting force in the history of humanity, so. lol
Yeah it's stuff like this that makes the active separation between Agents of SHIELD and the movies all the more annoying.

YourMaster

The show was absolutely guilty of some plate spinning with Kilgrave, they should have probably made a few more "caper of the week" episodes where we see Jessica Jones doing actual PI work. I'm surprised that we only really got one of those. Daredevil also only had one "big bad", but there was a whole stable of sub-villains to break up the monotony.

I hope not, the big advantage of on demand shows is that you can expect the viewers to not miss a single episode and make an actual proper story instead of just being episodic. Instead of simple filler the main arc could have been expanded, have additional story.

eastx

I hope not, the big advantage of on demand shows is that you can expect the viewers to not miss a single episode and make an actual proper story instead of just being episodic. Instead of simple filler the main arc could have been expanded, have additional story.

They didn't have enough main arc to last 13 episodes and you're suggesting there should have been more of it? That's illogical.

Joni

Both are filler, because you're filling episodes with material you don't need. But having fun caper of the week stories is better than needlessly stretching/filling out a short story. Something like The Hobbit could have been way stronger as a 2 film and a filler spin-off.

YourMaster

They didn't have enough main arc to last 13 episodes and you're suggesting there should have been more of it? That's illogical.

No it's not, there wasn't enough to the current story to properly fill 13 episodes, they should have made a better full story. Not do a very basic story and add random filler.

Both are filler, because you're filling episodes with material you don't need. But having fun caper of the week stories is better than needlessly stretching/filling out a short story. Something like The Hobbit could have been way stronger as a 2 film and a filler spin-off.

This is different though because they try to follow a single book, there is not 'more story'. The hobbit would have been better as a single film. If they wanted to do three movies, they should have done a completely different story set in the LotR universe, not do the Hobbit in three movies and fill it up with, I don't know, long shots of Bilbo cooking dinner because hobbits like to cook.

Teefury selling a shirt if any of y'all are interested.

aka.jpg

http://www.teefury.com/aka?utm_sour...&ranSiteID=y4.At6fLKQk-mYE0TSfXYKdkWpbFZ6S7PQ

Finished it up today. I thought episodes 11 and 12 lost a lot of steam and really made a case for a shorter episode season-but the finale was great in my opinion. I loved seeing Claire and I liked the very final scene with Malcolm. Bring on season 2.

comic book logic just has prisons where they "take away your powers" while you're incarcerated and everyone just goes with it. I don't think the MCU is ready for that kind of suspension of reality just yet.

Aren't they basically doing that in Agents of SHIELD?

duckroll

Finished the final episode. It was a pretty great ending. Kilgrave showing those purple veins was a nice nod to his comic version. The stuff between Jessica and Luke were fantastic, and it's nice that they left the relationship status open at the end since he still has his own series to get more development. Glad to see that the finale didn't have any of the worst elements of the show in it. Would have really sucked if Simpson suddenly barged in at the end for a final battle royale between Jessica, Kilgrave, Luke, and Trish. That would have been the worst. I was also afraid that the stupid twin sister would find Luke in Jessica's apartment for extra ~drama~. Thank God none of that shit happened.

P.S. Simpson sux, and the entire IGH thing feels like a lame duck attempt to link the Netflix Marvel Universe without having to reference anything major in Agents of SHIELD or the movies. We'll probably find out that the truck where Daredevil got his powers from was from IGH too. Lol. Maybe they'll be involved in a hostile takeover with Rand Corp in Iron Fist. And I bet their link to Reva, whatever it is, will play a role in Luke Cage. :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Finished the final episode. It was a pretty great ending. Kilgrave showing those purple veins was a nice nod to his comic version. The stuff between Jessica and Luke were fantastic, and it's nice that they left the relationship status open at the end since he still has his own series to get more development. Glad to see that the finale didn't have any of the worst elements of the show in it. Would have really sucked if Simpson suddenly barged in at the end for a final battle royale between Jessica, Kilgrave, Luke, and Trish. That would have been the worst. I was also afraid that the stupid twin sister would find Luke in Jessica's apartment for extra ~drama~. Thank God none of that shit happened.

P.S. Simpson sux, and the entire IGH thing feels like a lame duck attempt to link the Netflix Marvel Universe without having to reference anything major in Agents of SHIELD or the movies. We'll probably find out that the truck where Daredevil got his powers from was from IGH too. Lol. Maybe they'll be involved in a hostile takeover with Rand Corp in Iron Fist. And I bet their link to Reva, whatever it is, will play a role in Luke Cage. :p

Compared to the Daredevil ending, it's not even a contest. It's much more intense without needing any (bad) punches thrown.

And yes, it feels way burdened by the MCU junk. :p

Still no renewal announcement from Marvel? I don't think they'll go ahead with a second season until after Defenders then.
yeah, I think daredevil will be like iron man of the first defenders. Iron man had 2 films before av1 and daredevil will have 2 seasons before the defenders.

Compared to the Daredevil ending, it's not even a contest. It's much more intense without needing any (bad) punches thrown.

And yes, it feels way burdened by the MCU junk. :p

The one things the MCU gives the show is an excuse to not get into how weird it is that some people have super-powers. It's an established thing. So, for that, it's good.

I'm glad they didn't really get into it any more than that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The one things the MCU gives the show is an excuse to not get into how weird it is that some people have super-powers. It's an established thing. So, for that, it's good.

I'm glad they didn't really get into it any more than that.
In a world with Inhumans, giant green men, a mutant man carrying a bulletproof shield, and freaking space aliens why is a mind controller that hard to believe? Everyone treats Jones as if she's crazy at the beginning of the show.

SYNTAX182

I thought it was ok. I was initially hyped only because I loved DD and it had some ties to it. Didn't like a lot of the fight scenes, they weren't executed very well. Some of the episodes dragged on too long. A few cringy forced one liners. Hated some of the subplots like the couple that pretended to cheat on each other and tried to kill Jessica for some wierd reason I dont remember.

Didn't like the main actress. Everytime they had her use her special powers like jumping and leaping it looked cheap. Her acting seemed too try hard. Maybe I just don't like the character. I remember her from breaking bad and thought she was good but maybe it's the direction or material in this case.

David Tenant is amazing. Never seen him in anything but gifs from Dr. Who. He is memerizing to watch. His Kilgrave is perfect.

I thought Luke Cage was pretty good overall. Sometimes he was too static. The fight with Jessica and Luke sometimes I felt like he was holding back or something, just seemed sluggish.

Loved the ending though, really good.

Side question: I didn't catch the explanation of why Jessica suddenly became immune to mind control. Did I miss this or did the viewer just kinda had to have a leap of faith there?

Joni

In a world with Inhumans, giant green men, a mutant man carrying a bulletproof shield, and freaking space aliens why is a mind controller that hard to believe? Everyone treats Jones as if she's crazy at the beginning of the show.
And of course about three to four other people capable of mind control or just taking over them. Like Loki with the mind Stone, the Agent Carter bad guy, one of those enemies on Shield at the moment, scarlet witch to some extent.

Joni

Kilgrave utters (paraphrasing) that he lets her go or that he will never control her or something to that effect. Think it happens when he invites her back to her foster home. So if he barks a command later, it is nullified since he matter of factly told her that she was not to be controlled.
No, she is just so horrified by het actions in killing someone that she learns to reject him.

SYNTAX182

Kilgrave utters (paraphrasing) that he lets her go or that he will never control her or something to that effect. Think it happens when he invites her back to her foster home. So if he barks a command later, it is nullified since he matter of factly told her that she was not to be controlled.

Ah, I see. Yeah, I vaguely remmeber it was something that happened in her old house. I probably wasn't paying attention or it just wasn't explained well enough.

Edit:
No, she is just so horrified by het actions in killing someone that she learns to reject him.

Hmmm, yeah I guess it wasn't explained well enough in my eyes. Just seemed out of the blue to me that she suddenly gained the immunity. Couldn't Hope have also developed the immunity then, seems like a wierd reason. I mean she killed her parents, that's pretty horrific and could be argued that it was more horrific than what Jessica went through.

Because it's difficult to prove, and people with powers are still an extreme minority.

Also, people don't treat her like she's crazy, she doesn't even try to convince them because it's farfetched.

Pachimari

Seems like the EP of Jessica Jones is unsure herself as for a second season, because Marvel and Netflix have a lot on their plates. Especially with Daredevil S2, Luke Cage, Iron Fist and The Defenders:

"I’d love that. Me, personally – I’m ready to go," regarding a second season. She continued, "Marvel has a lot going on. So does Netflix. So I don’t know if a second season fits into this schedule, when, whether or not we’ll get one. I don’t know any of that. I personally, I’m ready to jump in now. I’ve had some time off. I needed some time off! It was a really hard run."

But it's good to know that she's ready to go and fired up about Jessica Jones. She probably won't have any control over the character for the Defenders show though, but she trust Krysten Ritter will protect the character.

"What I have is Krysten Ritter, and she and I are on exactly the same page with this character. And that is a women that will not do something that violates the character in any way. So if I have nothing to do with it, I trust that she’s going to be the protector of the character."

Source: Variety

asagami_

Banned
Because it's difficult to prove, and people with powers are still an extreme minority.

Also, people don't treat her like she's crazy, she doesn't even try to convince them because it's farfetched.

It's worth to add that the average human is, likely, little aware about the exact nature of the powers of the gifted. We as the audience know that, but the fictional characters of this fictional world are not so privileged of this information.

-griffy-

Banned
the reason is never given a concrete answer. There is a lot of speculation online: she grew immune to the virus due to her abilities, the trauma from killing Reva (there's a theory that she, in fact, did this on her own free will as he never said to 'kill her'). In one of the latter episodes, she explicitly said "he let me go" when Trish or someone was asking why he couldnt control her.
You sure you're not confusing that for when she grabbed Kilgrave after he escapes the sound proof room, and he said "Let go of me" but she didn't? She relayed that to Trish saying "I didn't let him go, he can't control me anymore," or something similar. The moment she reflects on this, immediately after, sets off an epiphany in her mind where she flashes back to when she killed Riva. It's heavily implied that the trauma of killing Reva is what snapped her out of his control somehow, because that's the first moment she disobeys his orders when he tells her to stop and come back, but she keeps walking.

Cake Boss

Banned
I am on the finale and this has gotten off the rails the past 5-6 episodes. So garbage now compared to the first couple of episodes. It was so promising at first.

KarmaCow

I am on the finale and this has gotten off the rails the past 5-6 episodes. So garbage now compared to the first couple of episodes. It was so promising at first.

I agree that it falters near the end but I really don't get this idea that there is this stark divide between the first and second half. It's not that inconsistent.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This show definitely could have used a few unrelated PI cases for Jessica to solve. Too much of it was about Killgrave.
The thing is that a lot of her cases from the book basically involved her chasing down heroes in the Marvel universe... so they just took the one big story that they could pull out of the comic without it interfering with all the MCU stuff.

Nightbird

That's one thing I found weird.

But I just rolled with it later, and that made the plothole bearable.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The superhuman thing is new, how many years ago went the Avengers public? Three years ago? People arent used to stuff like this.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Just finished it. Agree the show was stretched thin. The first few episodes were the strongest when kilograve was Mysterious and jessica was doing pi work.

I think i enjoyed daredevil more.

The Hobo

In the first season of Agents of SHIELD, Coulson scoffed at the idea that the Clairvoyant was actually clairvoyant and he's personally met the Avengers.

I guess people don't want it to be real so they don't believe it. The one thing we feel certain we're in control of is our own thoughts/actions so maybe people don't want to let in the truth that someone could take that away.

There are people who do not believe in climate change or evolution. People are very prone to simply ignoring information they find uncomfortable.

I'm not super heavily invested in the whole MCU, so maybe this isn't public knowledge to most citizens, but Kilgrave isn't the first person to use mind control. Loki did it multiple times in The Avengers on humans and so does Scarlet Witch in Avengers 2. It seems really strange that anyone would have hang ups believing that there is yet another person out there who can do the same. Assuming the registration stuff from Civil War is similar to how it is in the comics shouldn't there be a bunch of talking heads out there running down a list of Scarlet Witch's powers and why she needs to be controlled? Its one thing to be unaware of all the details and its another to be completely oblivious in the way people like the detective are throughout the whole series. His name escapes me but the detective seems like exactly the kind of person who would at least keep in touch with news regarding the powers of some of the enhanced who keep popping up.

There are people who do not believe in climate change or evolution. People are very prone to simply ignoring information they find uncomfortable.

Global Warming and Evolution are not really directly observable events. An alien invasion poring out of the sky into New York and an entire city being lifted into the sky are.

Top Bottom