• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones |OT| A.K.A. Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones *spoilers for S1*

Jarmel

Banned
Disagree.
He does have power issues even before the pills come into play. If you remember, even after he's shown that Trish is ok and Jessica tells him she'll be safe, he absolutely refuses to accept that Trish could possibly be safe if he isn't the one to protect her in some manner and he uses the excuse of protecting her to make himself feel better initially. Then there's his refusal to concede control/leadership of the plan to Jessica. Only *he* knows what's best. Only *he* can be in charge to stop Kilgrave. Only *his* say on whether Kilgrave is capture or killed matters. It only gets worse once he's on the red.. the effect of which amplifies his focus to the extent that he no longer sees reason. Anyone who *could* stand in the way of his goal, *must* be removed, permanently.

Seemed like a very clear progression to me.

That's because he was right. He had leadership/control issues because Jessica clearly wasn't thinking straight. It's not like she was coming up with viable alternatives.

There is a line of progression... But it's not very smooth, hence so many people having issues with it.

I don't think it's supposed to be smooth. He's not a main character and the nature of the change warrants the abruptness.

That's because he was right. He had leadership/control issues because Jessica clearly wasn't thinking straight. It's not like she was coming up with viable alternatives.

You have that backwards. Full Series*
Jessica was thinking straight, she just wanted to avoid collateral damage. Simpson not only didn't give enough credence or credit to Kilgrave's power but he didn't give a shit about collateral damage at all. It's easy for the viewer to say that Simpson's choices would have been better in the long run but that's because we're watching a tv show.

KarmaCow

My problem was that when Simpson and Jessica check out the safe house and they're saying what they think of each other through the soundproof glass (a moment I liked), Jessica's judgment of Simpson is completely off the mark of how he's portrayed. He quite rightly sees how big a threat Kilgrave is, and doesn't want to wait on the off-chance Hope can be saved to stop this guy. But there's nothing about how he's some power-mad dude who Knows best like Jessica marks him. It's like Jessica's reading ahead in the script to see how he randomly turns into ex-special forces roid dude, which wasn't really present in his initial characterization.

I guess the issue is less with where Simpson ended up and more where he started. The turn struck me as bizarre (especially
killing the cop. I get he's doped up on drugs but it still struck me as incredibly pointless given his goal. Same with fixating on killing Jessica.

Episode 5 spoilers
Well don't forget that right before that scene
where they scope out of the CDC building, she ran into Trish and Simpson getting it on. Trish says Jessica never likes any of the guys she dates and on top of that Jessica thinks that Simpson played his remorse over trying to kill her to have sex with Trish. Simpson was right in that killing him early on would have been better but from Jessica's perspective he was he was just a meathead looking to get laid, butting in trying to take charge of her plan she was working on.

The show is pretty heavy handed but at the time I didn't think it was so outlandish. She needed Kilgrave alive both to prove herself, and speaking of heavy handed, to save Hope.

Jarmel

Banned
You have that backwards.
Jessica was thinking straight, she just wanted to avoid collateral damage. Simpson not only didn't give enough credence or credit to Kilgrave's power but he didn't give a shit about collateral damage at all. It's easy for the viewer to say that Simpson's choices would have been better in the long run but that's because we're watching a tv show.
She definitely wasn't thinking straight from episode 7 and on and it's highly debatable she was thinking straight earlier. (Ep5)
If I remember correctly, Simpson wanted to track Killgrave when they had the jump on him in episode 5, instead of immediately baggin him, which was the correct approach. He also does consider the civilians such as in the house bomb as he states he'll wait till the chefs are gone.
Simpson understood just how dangerous Killgrave's powers were. With a person like Killgrave the quicker he's dead, the better.

KarmaCow

She definitely wasn't thinking straight from episode 7 and on and it's highly debatable she was thinking straight earlier. (Ep5)
If I remember correctly, Simpson wanted to track Killgrave when they had the jump on him in episode 5, instead of immediately baggin him, which was the correct approach. He also does consider the civilians such as in the house bomb as he states he'll wait till the chefs are gone.
Simpson understood just how dangerous Killgrave's powers were. With a person like Killgrave the quicker he's dead, the better.

Episode 8 spoilers
Are you sure about that? I could have sworn he said that some causalities are worth taking out Kilgrave.

edit: nevermind you're right, I heard it wrong.

Jessica Jones the TV show is basically the story of a emotionally retarded bad guy tormenting an equally retarded hero. It's like they're both 15 years old. Very annoying.

kirblar

Episode 8 spoilers
Are you sure about that? I could have sworn he said that some causalities are worth taking out Kilgrave.
full-season
He's referring to Hope being an acceptable loss for the greater good.

He's a tragic figure in this- he's 100% right, gets vindicated AND maimed badly and it drives him to go back to the PMC he left behind.

KarmaCow

full-season
He's referring to Hope being an acceptable loss for the greater good.

He's a tragic figure in this- he's 100% right, gets vindicated AND maimed badly and it drives him to go back to the PMC he left behind.

I went back to check I guess I heard it wrong. When he says he'll time to explosion for when they leave the house to take out the trash I had heard it somehow as it's worth it to take out the trash.

Joni

I went back to check I guess I heard it wrong. When he says he'll time to explosion for when they leave the house to take out the trash I had heard it somehow as it's worth it to take out the trash.

Honestly,
I think he is just lying about waiting

Full Series*
They don't actually have the time to track him because the lead they have is time sensitive and they're all known to Kilgrave. If they get spotted once, their chance is gone. And they would have been spotted since they didn't even realize the size and scope of Kilgrave's protection. His statement about waiting until the civilians are gone is bullshit because Kilgrave is *never* alone and blowing up a house's gas main in a suburban neighborhood is highly likely to have a ton of collateral damage.

None of that actually even matters though. If you look at it from the present perspective instead of through hindsight, the reality is Simpson knew nothing about Kilgrave, how he thinks or even how his powers work. That alone should have made him realize he should take an advisory role to supplement Jessica's plans. Which he eventually, reluctantly does. Even the things he does on his own piggy back on Jessica's plans/actions.

DeathyBoy

Banned
She definitely wasn't thinking straight

She's an alcoholic with extreme PTSD, anxiety, self-loathing, and a need to get someone else the justice she never could. God-damn right she isn't thinking straight.

Jarmel

Banned
They don't actually have the time to track him because the lead they have is time sensitive and they're all known to Kilgrave. If they get spotted once, their chance is gone. And they would have been spotted since they didn't even realize the size and scope of Kilgrave's protection. His statement about waiting until the civilians are gone is bullshit because Kilgrave is *never* alone and blowing up a house's gas main in a suburban neighborhood is highly likely to have a ton of collateral damage.

None of that actually even matters though. If you look at it from the present perspective instead of through hindsight, the reality is Simpson knew nothing about Kilgrave, how he thinks or even how his powers work. That alone should have made him realize he should take an advisory role to supplement Jessica's plans. Which he eventually, reluctantly does. Even the things he does on his own piggy back on Jessica's plans/actions.
Series
And because they rushed, they blew their chance anyway. If they had properly tracked him they might have been able to get a good guess on the size of his entourage. Not to mention Killgrave could have just as easily had more and nastier failsafes in place. There's a reason why you track a target. As for the house bomb, yes there would have been potentially the security guards as casualties but hell the way it ended up, Simpson had to kill at least one of them anyway when he helped bag Killgrave in 8. At some point they were going to have to roll the dice. Simpson didn't go around with an assault rifle trying to kill the dude in public.

Also nobody knew how Killgrave's powers worked including Jessica until episode 9. She was largely guessing in the dark too. Simpson knew enough to get Killgrave killed multiple times but was stopped by Jessica every time.

It's also debatable how well Jessica knew Killgrave considering how often he played her rather than the other way around.

She's an alcoholic with extreme PTSD, anxiety, self-loathing, and a need to get someone else the justice she never could. God-damn right she isn't thinking straight.

Ok, so Simpson should have totally ignored her.

The show would be much better if they didn't reference the wider MCU.

For me it's not even the references, but the fact that it plays in the MCU. Like I said in my post, Kilgrave as a villain feels more like a freak of the week in Agents of Shield. And I don't mean it in the sense of "why aren't they just calling the Avengers", but the current season of AoS is all about gifted humans, their abilities and how they handle it. With the weird shit that went down in parts of New York because of Kilgrave, it certainly wouldn't have been unreasonable for May and Daisy to show up, get him and put him in one of their convenient mobile prisons for inhumans. Again, not because they exist in the same universe, but because their current season is all about that stuff.

Of course it didn't ruin the show for me or anything like that, but I still think it's part of the reason why Kilgrave felt sort of weak as the big bad of the season.

KarmaCow

For me it's not even the references, but the fact that it plays in the MCU. Like I said in my post, Kilgrave as a villain feels more like a freak of the week in Agents of Shield. And I don't mean it in the sense of "why aren't they just calling the Avengers", but the current season of AoS is all about gifted humans, their abilities and how they handle it. With the weird shit that went down in parts of New York because of Kilgrave, it certainly wouldn't have been unreasonable for May and Daisy to show up, get him and put him in one of their convenient mobile prisons for inhumans. Again, not because they exist in the same universe, but because their current season is all about that stuff.

Of course it didn't ruin the show for me or anything like that, but I still think it's part of the reason why Kilgrave felt sort of weak as the big bad of the season.

To be fair, the idea of Daisy looking for inhumans as season long premise kinda died by the first episode of season 3 and shifted pretty quickly to the mystery of the ATCU and Lash.

To be fair, the idea of Daisy looking for inhumans as season long premise kinda died by the first episode of season 3 and shifted pretty quickly to the mystery of the ATCU and Lash.

You're right, it would be late for the current story line on the show, but in general he still feels like a baddie they wouldn't let roam around for too long.

Series
And because they rushed, they blew their chance anyway. If they had properly tracked him they might have been able to get a good guess on the size of his entourage. Not to mention Killgrave could have just as easily had more and nastier failsafes in place. There's a reason why you track a target. As for the house bomb, yes there would have been potentially the security guards as casualties but hell the way it ended up, Simpson had to kill at least one of them anyway when he helped bag Killgrave in 8. At some point they were going to have to roll the dice. Simpson didn't go around with an assault rifle trying to kill the dude in public.

Also nobody knew how Killgrave's powers worked including Jessica until episode 9. She was largely guessing in the dark too. Simpson knew enough to get Killgrave killed multiple times but was stopped by Jessica every time.

It's also debatable how well Jessica knew Killgrave considering how often he played her rather than the other way around.

Full Series*
Again, your argument predicates itself on hindsight, which isn't a reasonable way to assess a characters mind state or decisions made at a specific point in time. They had no idea that Kilgrave would simply use money to hire a private security firm, which means that not only would they have not known to look out for one but the security firm had, to that point, been told to remain out of sight. For what it's worth, Jessica had already spent a few days tracking the system Kilgrave used for contact and monitored the meetings as well. The house bomb would have been more than just security casualties. Kilgrave doesn't let the staff leave. And blowing up a gas main could easily have destroyed half the neighborhood. Simpson's plan was intentionally overkill. He didn't give a shit about collateral damage.

Jessica did know how Kilgrave's powers worked. Specifically she knew the limitations. She didn't know the virus part and she didn't know the specific time away but she knew how close he needed to be for it to work and that separation was necessary for it to wear off. Simpson knew.. nothing. Literally, nothing. None of what Simpson attempted would've had a chance in hell of succeeded had Jessica not had Kilgrave's focus.. literally and figuratively.

It's without question that Jessica knew Kilgrave better than anyone other than his parents (who were not an option at the time). She'd been the only one to spend a large amount of time with him and wasn't dead. His ability to outsmart her doesn't mean she didn't know him well. Just that he was more prepared to work around his weaknesses than she gave him credit for.

Shaanyboi

Banned
It's too bad Marvel couldn't use the reason in the comics where
Jean Grey placed a psychic block on Jessica's subconscious to prevent her from being mind controlled anymore.

Of course, they could easily replace
Jean Grey
with someone like
Scarlet Witch
depending on how deep they want to get with her early comic relationship with SHIELD and the Avengers.
That was such a Deus Ex Machina, I'm glad they couldn't rely on that.

JCreasy

I enjoyed this show. A lot.

Liked it more than Daredevil.

I never expected to enjoy it as much as I did.

I knew the character and the comic. Thought it would never work out well for a TV series and I was pleasantly surprised.

It DEFINITELY had its weak spots. Points that felt truly amateur. But the last six or seven episodes really started to click for me. I'm more excited for Jessica Jones Season 2 than any other Marvel TV series right now.

Yeah, some bad writing here and there, and the terrible action scenes didn't help this series succeed. But the good stuff is what I remember the most.

And I loved Kristen Ritter's delivery for some of her jokes. I laughed out loud several times. She always took me by surprise with her bitchy punchlines. Love those.

In regards to Daredevil, I think that Daredevil was better directed, but JJ had the better story to tell.

These are my thoughts EXACTLY.

The Jessica Jones story was more interesting for me. I guess that's why it was easy for me to forgive all the weak points.

In the end, I was genuinely rooting for her.

There's something else. When it comes to the super hero genre, it's easy to get seduced by tropes that revolve around powers and let those be the only things that really define hero characters. There are real risk in telling a story about a person with powers that doesn't have too many super hero privileges. Jessica doesn't really have a squad. No hi-tech support. No adoring fans really. And honestly, she's not very likable. And not in a lazy emo way, but in an authenticly human way. She's not likable for plausible reasons.

I think the show succeeds, at least for me, in telling a "grounded" story about a person with super powers. It doesn't matter if she's a hero or not. But she's unquestionably human. And that resonates.

Kilgrave was an equally convincing villain. He didn't want to take over the world, nor did he need to. He was a misogynist with powers. He was entitled. His whole
"you should love me just by virtue of the fact that I love you"
schtick was pretty fucking chilling. There are real-world men today who believe this shit. I think it's hard for most men to understand how disturbing that is, and I think they illustrated quite well in the show.

Jarmel

Banned
Full Series*
Again, your argument predicates itself on hindsight, which isn't a reasonable way to assess a characters mind state or decisions made at a specific point in time. They had no idea that Kilgrave would simply use money to hire a private security firm, which means that not only would they have not known to look out for one but the security firm had, to that point, been told to remain out of sight. For what it's worth, Jessica had already spent a few days tracking the system Kilgrave used for contact and monitored the meetings as well. The house bomb would have been more than just security casualties. Kilgrave doesn't let the staff leave. And blowing up a gas main could easily have destroyed half the neighborhood. Simpson's plan was intentionally overkill. He didn't give a shit about collateral damage.

Jessica did know how Kilgrave's powers worked. Specifically she knew the limitations. She didn't know the virus part and she didn't know the specific time away but she knew how close he needed to be for it to work and that separation was necessary for it to wear off. Simpson knew.. nothing. Literally, nothing. None of what Simpson attempted would've had a chance in hell of succeeded had Jessica not had Kilgrave's focus.. literally and figuratively.

It's without question that Jessica knew Kilgrave better than anyone other than his parents (who were not an option at the time). She'd been the only one to spend a large amount of time with him and wasn't dead. His ability to outsmart her doesn't mean she didn't know him well. Just that he was more prepared to work around his weaknesses than she gave him credit for.
Series
Which is why you track a person as you don't know what they have planned. Jessica had only spent a few days tracking Malcolm to Killgrave but as far as I can see, she spent very little time actually detailing Killgrave himself. Malcolm had already established that Killgrave was aware of the limitations regarding his power and hell, he already knew about the drug rendering him useless (which was bullshit anyway as it doesn't).

Going back to the house, I imagine someone had to take out trash and get groceries for the next meal or whatever. Jessica doesn't question Simpson on this point so it stands to reason that he is correct in-show. It certainly was not intentionally overkill. Hell he suggested taking Killgrave out using a damn sniper rifle. Other than that security guard he was questioning in episode 5, there is little in the show to suggest that he didn't care about the bystanders. He wasn't overly concerned about them to Jessica's level but considering how often that hindered her resulting in more casualties anyway, that's probably for the best.

Jessica had no clue why she was immune and the rest such as duration, Simpson pretty much knew very shortly after. There wasn't some nugget of crucial information she knew about that he didn't. In fact Jessica's knowledge on Killgrave's powers backfired anyway when he extended it. It's not like Killgrave's power early on is some super complicated thing. She knew Killgrave better than almost anyone but she still couldn't have him do stuff like confess on tape despite trying to beat a confession out of him. Most of the season was him outsmarting or tricking her to some extent. Even the superhero thing in ep 8 was him trying to play into her notion of being a superhero, you can see the cogs working in his mind when they get back to the house after the hostage situation.

LakeEarth

Just finished it. Liked it enough, but overall mediocre. If it weren't for Kilgrave, I wouldn't be able to recommend it. Just like Daredevil, the season should've definitely been 10 episodes, but I'd definitely rank Daredevil higher.

They really should've put some money into the fight scenes. Even the 'showpiece' fights were nothing special, and had very few high points. In short, every fight was the
final Kingpin fight
from Daredevil. The
Luke Cage
fight had an amazing setup, but the actual fight wasn't that hot.

Calcium

Banned
I just finished binge watching the show yesterday. Overall I'd say I enjoyed it, much less than Daredevil, but I still liked it more that I thought I would. Knowing nothing about Jessica Jones and where the series would go from here I would have cut
the whole side plot involving Trish's mother, the couple that wanted to kill Jessica and the odd neighbors
from the show just to trim it down a few episodes. I enjoyed every second Killgrave and Jessica were on screen together, but around episode 10 or so I was ready for it to end.

What is it with the Marvel shows where they never seem to reference the MCU characters by name? I don't remember what it was in Daredevil exactly (something about "a guy in a suit" referencing Iron Man maybe?), but in Jessica Jones the Hulk is referred to as "the big green dude" a few times and Captain America is referred to as "The Flag Waver". Why don't they just call them by their names? There was a kid wearing a Captain America outfit so I'd imagine the public knows who the Avengers are.

Edit: Spoiler added for safety sake.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I just finished binge watching the show yesterday. Overall I'd say I enjoyed it, much less than Daredevil, but I still liked it more that I thought I would. Knowing nothing about Jessica Jones and where the series would go from here I would have cut
the whole side plot involving Trish's mother, the couple that wanted to kill Jessica and the odd neighbors
from the show just to trim it down a few episodes. I enjoyed every second Killgrave and Jessica were on screen together, but around episode 10 or so I was ready for it to end.

What is it with the Marvel shows where they never seem to reference the MCU characters by name? I don't remember what it was in Daredevil exactly (something about "a guy in a suit" referencing Iron Man maybe?), but in Jessica Jones the Hulk is referred to as "the big green dude" a few times and Captain America is referred to as "The Flag Waver". Why don't they just call them by their names? There was a kid wearing a Captain America outfit so I'd imagine the public knows who the Avengers are.

Edit: Spoiler added for safety sake.
Eh...
I thought the stuff with Trish's mother was kinda necessary for that character, as well as contextualize Jessica and Trish's history. Plus there's your hook for Season 2 with the IGH files.

The couple, I felt, was necessary for showing that Jessica still has something to fear from bigots and people who don't know who to blame for the Avengers' first fight. It keeps her and people like her as outcasts.

The siblings though, I see the point in having someone around Jessica be hurt because of her crusade, and Robyn shows that Kilgrave hurts more people than just those he controls. The problem was that Robyn went on to being totally insufferable and fucked things up in the main story, just out of sheer stupidity.

Joni

Eh...
I thought the stuff with Trish's mother was kinda necessary for that character, as well as contextualize Jessica and Trish's history. Plus there's your hook for Season 2 with the IGH files.
The problem is they didn't need to show that, it works just as well with the conversations before the flashbacks.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Eh, I think Robyn's an extension of the shows theme of control.

She controls her brother. He reaches out to Jessica and gets killed. Robyn blames Jessica. She's essentially a powerless version of Kilgrave, and her BSOD near the end confirms that. It shows that Kilgrave's excuses are all bullshit, he could've turned the corner if he had any humanity.

Garlador

Yes I agree. She was weird and distracting.

By the end, I was willing to forgive the show for forcing her on us. Her scenes with Malcom were somewhat redeeming.

Only partially...

I still cringed hard at "I hope you have 2 day express shipping in heaven".

Fuchsdh

Which is why I find it funny that Simpson has been called the embodiment of mansplaining. She could have listened to the more level-headed voices around her (aka everyone else) and been better off for it.

Also another pet peeve—Krysten Ritter is a pretty distinctive person, especially in her clothing choices. She has got to be one of the most laughable tails I can imagine. Getting other people Kilgrave isn't looking for to surveil would have been a smarter choice.*

I get it, in that your protagonists cannot be always right or perfect in every instance, otherwise they'll often cease to be interesting. But I think Jessica's obstinance just hit "Oh my god just knock her out and do what has to be done" levels. That's something tightening up the story arc would have helped with too, probably; as it is, she sits around as the body count rises, solely because she identifies with the one girl locked up. That's nothing but pure selfish action.

*With that said, the idea that Kilgrave sits around in New York instead of going anywhere else seems bizarre to me too.

LakeEarth

Minor nitpick (full season spoiler):

"Kilgrave's power is a virus! That's why it doesn't work over a microphone."
He later gets "powered up" and it does work.... ummmmmm.... how? Is the virus going digital?

I enjoyed this show. A lot.

Liked it more than Daredevil.

I never expected to enjoy it as much as I did.

I knew the character and the comic. Thought it would never work out well for a TV series and I was pleasantly surprised.

It DEFINITELY had its weak spots. Points that felt truly amateur. But the last six or seven episodes really started to click for me. I'm more excited for Jessica Jones Season 2 than any other Marvel TV series right now.

Yeah, some bad writing here and there, and the terrible action scenes didn't help this series succeed. But the good stuff is what I remember the most.

And I loved Kristen Ritter's delivery for some of her jokes. I laughed out loud several times. She always took me by surprise with her bitchy punchlines. Love those.

These are my thoughts EXACTLY.

The Jessica Jones story was more interesting for me. I guess that's why it was easy for me to forgive all the weak points.

In the end, I was genuinely rooting for her.

There's something else. When it comes to the super hero genre, it's easy to get seduced by tropes that revolve around powers and let those be the only things that really define hero characters. There are real risk in telling a story about a person with powers that doesn't have too many super hero privileges. Jessica doesn't really have a squad. No hi-tech support. No adoring fans really. And honestly, she's not very likable. And not in a lazy emo way, but in an authenticly human way. She's not likable for plausible reasons.

I think the show succeeds, at least for me, in telling a "grounded" story about a person with super powers. It doesn't matter if she's a hero or not. But she's unquestionably human. And that resonates.

Kilgrave was an equally convincing villain. He didn't want to take over the world, nor did he need to. He was a misogynist with powers. He was entitled. His whole
"you should love me just by virtue of the fact that I love you"
schtick was pretty fucking chilling. There are real-world men today who believe this shit. I think it's hard for most men to understand how disturbing that is, and I think they illustrated quite well in the show.

Just chiming in to say I don't know if I liked it more than Daredevil but I agree with you on everything else.

KarmaCow

Minor nitpick (full season spoiler):

"Kilgrave's power is a virus! That's why it doesn't work over a microphone."
He later gets "powered up" and it does work.... ummmmmm.... how? Is the virus going digital?

I think the idea is that
he needs to be physically in the same area and the "virus" is more like an ever present aura propagating through the air that primes people to follow his commands and is inert and short lived otherwise. It wasn't so much that he was controlling them through the mic but rather his range encapsulated the entire building and he used the speaker system to control everyone infected by the virus.

But yea the explanation is messy and kinda unneeded.
It was a setup for the possibility of a vaccine in an episode but is quickly rendered moot anyways. It really seems like a pheromone would have been the go to explanation considering how it's used in fiction already.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Which is why I find it funny that Simpson has been called the embodiment of mansplaining. She could have listened to the more level-headed voices around her (aka everyone else) and been better off for it.

Also another pet peeve—Krysten Ritter is a pretty distinctive person, especially in her clothing choices. She has got to be one of the most laughable tails I can imagine. Getting other people Kilgrave isn't looking for to surveil would have been a smarter choice.*

I get it, in that your protagonists cannot be always right or perfect in every instance, otherwise they'll often cease to be interesting. But I think Jessica's obstinance just hit "Oh my god just knock her out and do what has to be done" levels. That's something tightening up the story arc would have helped with too, probably; as it is, she sits around as the body count rises, solely because she identifies with the one girl locked up. That's nothing but pure selfish action.

*With that said, the idea that Kilgrave sits around in New York instead of going anywhere else seems bizarre to me too.

Who are these level minded people?

Trish is a former drug addict Jessica's barely spoken to in a long time.

Simpson is a mind-controlled cop, and it's all downhill from there.

Malcolm is a drug addict who later on it's revealed was under Kilgrave's control for part of a day, and the rest of the day willingly went back for more drugs.

Jeri is morally grey at best.

And Luke Cage just wants his money, honey.

Saw the first episode of Jessica Jones, thought it was pretty good. Though the random
boning
was a little off-putting. Does the rest of the series have scenes like that? If so I may have to avoid it a bit.

Fuchsdh

Who are these level minded people?

Trish is a former drug addict Jessica's barely spoken to in a long time.

Simpson is a mind-controlled cop, and it's all downhill from there.

Malcolm is a drug addict who later on it's revealed was under Kilgrave's control for part of a day, and the rest of the day willingly went back for more drugs.

Jeri is morally grey at best.

And Luke Cage just wants his money, honey.

They've all got issues, but they're all way more level-headed about Kilgrave than Jessica is
Well, until the calculating, intelligent Hogarth goes crazy for love I guess and decides that letting out the psychopath you've heard so much about is a swell idea if it'll get some divorce papers signed.

KarmaCow

Showing Jessica
coming to terms with her powers and how she uses them is worth showing...

Episode 11 spoilers
It's not really even that though. There's no real struggle with her trying to comprehend her new found abilities. She breaks a sink and is just kinda okay with it. It's already implied outright stated that Jessica protected Trish from her mother when they were younger in the episode where she tries to get arrested. I thought it was a bit much to actually show it.

DeathyBoy

Banned
They've all got issues, but they're all way more level-headed about Kilgrave than Jessica is
Well, until the calculating, intelligent Hogarth goes crazy for love I guess and decides that letting out the psychopath you've heard so much about is a swell idea if it'll get some divorce papers signed.

The point is that none of them are thinking straight. Jessica's plans may be reckless, but her goal is exonerating Hope. Which seems to me to be them poking fun at the idea that superheroes can stop someone like Kilgrave using the law, as a post MOS commentary -- while, at the same time, noting that guys like Simpson can't do shit against Kilgrave either.

Series
Which is why you track a person as you don't know what they have planned. Jessica had only spent a few days tracking Malcolm to Killgrave but as far as I can see, she spent very little time actually detailing Killgrave himself. Malcolm had already established that Killgrave was aware of the limitations regarding his power and hell, he already knew about the drug rendering him useless (which was bullshit anyway as it doesn't).

Going back to the house, I imagine someone had to take out trash and get groceries for the next meal or whatever. Jessica doesn't question Simpson on this point so it stands to reason that he is correct in-show. It certainly was not intentionally overkill. Hell he suggested taking Killgrave out using a damn sniper rifle. Other than that security guard he was questioning in episode 5, there is little in the show to suggest that he didn't care about the bystanders. He wasn't overly concerned about them to Jessica's level but considering how often that hindered her resulting in more casualties anyway, that's probably for the best.

Jessica had no clue why she was immune and the rest such as duration, Simpson pretty much knew very shortly after. There wasn't some nugget of crucial information she knew about that he didn't. In fact Jessica's knowledge on Killgrave's powers backfired anyway when he extended it. It's not like Killgrave's power early on is some super complicated thing. She knew Killgrave better than almost anyone but she still couldn't have him do stuff like confess on tape despite trying to beat a confession out of him. Most of the season was him outsmarting or tricking her to some extent. Even the superhero thing in ep 8 was him trying to play into her notion of being a superhero, you can see the cogs working in his mind when they get back to the house after the hostage situation.

Full Series*
You're still using hindsight to argue that Simpson was right, when he very clearly wasn't given what the characters knew at the time and he wouldn't have been able to accomplish any of what he did end up accomplishing without Jessica executing her own plans. He would've been caught surveiling since the security team was instructed to be inconspicuous (details like that would've switched personel regularly so as to remain inconspicuous). He would've been spotted and stopped by Kilgrave's command in a direct assault. Sniper Rifle requires that Kilgrave be in a predetermined position. Jessica had enough trouble with that even considering his obsession with her. Good luck with that Simpson. Following the detail to Kilgrave's location at the house and arming the bomb? Never would've happened if the security team wasn't focused on protecting Kilgrave from Jessica. Secret night time assault? Again, without Jessica there, there would've been more security than his team could take out fast enough. Etc.. etc.. on and on.

It's silly to use hindsight and the fact that you're a disconnected viewer to say that a character made a bad decision. It's easy to say, "Well Jessica should've just killed him" because hindsight shows that he ends up killing more people but from Jessica's position, given her knowledge at the time, killing him will end up with a bunch of deaths and Hope's life being ruined right then and there while there's still a chance that should could avoid that. That's not a stupid character, it's one making decisions based on their own personal motivation without the benefit of hindsight that we have as viewers who have finished the show.

CoolOff

Ep. 8 was amazing. I was sceptical of the premise at first, but man did it let
KG live up to his potential as a villian

Red

I liked the divorce subplot.

The show's most cruel and controlling characters see their comeuppance. Hogarth's mistakes come back to haunt her, but she eventually tries to redeem herself. I thought it was fitting. She aligns with Kilgrave thematically, but chooses a different path when she sees what her choices lead to. She proves herself as human. I also appreciated her judgment being clouded by lust. It's clearly Pam's tease that pushes her over the edge. Kilgrave was similarly lusting for Jessica, whose rebuke he found tantalizing. That's in fact what brings about his demise.

There were a lot of mirrored personalities in Jessica Jones, and it did a great job showing how choice makes all the difference.

Its themes were consistently strong.

Jarmel

Banned
Full Series*
You're still using hindsight to argue that Simpson was right, when he very clearly wasn't given what the characters knew at the time and he wouldn't have been able to accomplish any of what he did end up accomplishing without Jessica executing her own plans. He would've been caught surveiling since the security team was instructed to be inconspicuous (details like that would've switched personel regularly so as to remain inconspicuous). He would've been spotted and stopped by Kilgrave's command in a direct assault. Sniper Rifle requires that Kilgrave be in a predetermined position. Jessica had enough trouble with that even considering his obsession with her. Good luck with that Simpson. Following the detail to Kilgrave's location at the house and arming the bomb? Never would've happened if the security team wasn't focused on protecting Kilgrave from Jessica. Secret night time assault? Again, without Jessica there, there would've been more security than his team could take out fast enough. Etc.. etc.. on and on.

It's silly to use hindsight and the fact that you're a disconnected viewer to say that a character made a bad decision. It's easy to say, "Well Jessica should've just killed him" because hindsight shows that he ends up killing more people but from Jessica's position, given her knowledge at the time, killing him will end up with a bunch of deaths and Hope's life being ruined right then and there while there's still a chance that should could avoid that. That's not a stupid character, it's one making decisions based on their own personal motivation without the benefit of hindsight that we have as viewers who have finished the show.

Series
The guy was former spec ops, it's not like he was some random police officer. Considering he tracked down Killgrave almost completely on his own (as Trish did help by supplying him with the initial bodyguard company), you're not giving him anywhere near enough credit. Besides that, just because Jessica was a victim and knows Killgrave best, doesn't mean she was right or that she by default gets to lead. She made a number of bad decisions because of her own damaged mindset.

It was apparent long before Hope committed suicide that someone should have simply offed Killgrave. Killgrave was going around killing people on a whimsy and so risking the slight possibility that everything would go according to plan in the hope of getting a confession out of him, was simply not worth it. I mean the dude made a suicide bomber out of the next door neighbor. When a character in show made repeated points and attempts on Killgrave's life, it was very obvious to the characters as well. Jessica refused to ignore it as she valued Hope's life and her own self-redemption over the lives of others.
I liked the divorce subplot.

The show's most cruel and controlling characters see their comeuppance. Hogarth's mistakes come back to haunt her, but she eventually tries to redeem herself. I thought it was fitting. She aligns with Kilgrave thematically, but chooses a different path when she sees what her choices lead to. She proves herself as human. I also appreciated her judgment being clouded by lust. It's clearly Pam's tease that pushes her over the edge. Kilgrave was similarly lusting for Jessica, whose rebuke he found tantalizing. That's in fact what brings about his demise.

There were a lot of mirrored personalities in Jessica Jones, and it did a great job showing how choice makes all the difference.

Its themes were consistently strong.

Too bad the writing was so contrived and transparent that any sort of thematic value was highly damaged as a result.

Series
The guy was former spec ops, it's not like he was some random police officer. Considering he tracked down Killgrave almost completely on his own (as Trish did help by supplying him with the initial bodyguard company), you're not giving him anywhere near enough credit. Besides that, just because Jessica was a victim and knows Killgrave best, doesn't mean she was right or that she by default gets to lead. She made a number of bad decisions because of her own damaged mindset.

It was apparent long before Hope committed suicide that someone should have simply offed Killgrave. Killgrave was going around killing people on a whimsy and so risking the slight possibility that everything would go according to plan in the hope of getting a confession out of him, was simply not worth it. I mean the dude made a suicide bomber out of the next door neighbor. When a character in show made repeated points and attempts on Killgrave's life, it was very obvious to the characters as well. Jessica refused to ignore it as she valued Hope's life and her own self-redemption over the lives of others.

Entire Series*
His being former Spec Ops doesn't mean that he'd be able to spot the Private Security team that Kilgrave hired. Those companies are usually comprised of former Military/PMC guys. It's not because Jessica is a former victim that she should lead but because she has the most personal knowledge of Kilgrave in terms of his personality, quirks, likes/dislikes. She also knows what actions are most likely to set him off.

And Kilgrave wasn't actually killing on whimsy. He was killing specifically to get Jessica's attention initially and then after that he started killing in retaliation to her resisting him. The neighbor that he made a suicide bomb out of was in direct retaliation to Simpsons attempt on his life. In fact none of the deaths post-Jessica's childhood home are because of any failure on her part but due to other people fucking up her plans.

She made every attempt at keeping him from killing others and keeping others out of it as much as she could. And Kilgrave regularly used other people as suicide hostages to keep himself alive. He dies, innocents kill themselves.

Watched the last few episodes with subtitles on (baby is learning to'talk') and I never read the word *Scoff* more times in life. Everyone is just scoffing at everyone.

Wow, you're all trippin. Just finished the show and I enjoyed the latter half of the season just as much, I was on the edge of my seat throughout.
Final episode spoiler:
Is Luke still mad at ? I'm really tired and may have missed something

Top Bottom