• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Luke Cage |OT| Bulletproof While Black - September 30th on Netflix

TheFlow

Banned
I agree with him. Luke is NOT supposed to fight like DD but even the base level thugs with no training fight worse in LC. I though it felt off
They are base level thugs exactly. They have relied on guns to do the dirty work. You see how everyone is quick on the trigger in this show.

You expecting niggas to start flipping up and down with martial arts in Harlem??

I agree with him. Luke is NOT supposed to fight like DD but even the base level thugs with no training fight worse in LC. I though it felt off

It's almost as if they actually fight how base level thugs should fight...instead of like in DD in which everyone had martial arts training for some reason

It's almost as if they actually fight how base level thugs should fight...instead of like in DD in which everyone had martial arts training for some reason

Those Russian thugs did not have any martial arts training; they just actually looked like they were trying to fight someone.

Other than the russians, most others peons did have training.

TheFlow

Banned
Those Russian thugs did not have any martial arts training; they just actually looked like they were trying to fight someone.

Other than the russians, most others peons did have training.
the Russians didn't have automatic rifles and guns all out. I remember one Russian trying to pull a gun out

Plus DD had the element of surprise

The Kree

Banned
There's no style to the fighting. Even if it's just a straight punch or a hip toss or body slam, it should look cool. As it is it just looks like random flailing, like the way untrained idiots in real life fight. It's a TV show, it's Marvel, it's superheroes. There should be some kind of flourish to it.

There's no style to the fighting. Even if it's just a straight punch or a hip toss or body slam, it should look cool. As it is it just looks like random flailing, like the way untrained idiots in real life fight. It's a TV show, it's Marvel, it's superheroes. There should be some kind of style to it.

Why though? People in fights aren't trying to look cool. Fights don't always have to be elegant, choreographed "dances", unless that's what you're going for. Especially so if one of the combatants only has to swat the other person away. In fact, when there's that huge a difference in power the person trying to "stylishly" fight just looks stupid, like the one guy flipping who Cage just tossed aside. In DD he'd look intimidating. In LC he just looked silly

TheFlow

Banned
There's no style to the fighting. Even if it's just a straight punch or a hip toss or body slam, it should look cool. As it is it just looks like random flailing, like the way untrained idiots in real life fight. It's a TV show, it's Marvel, it's superheroes. There should be some kind of flourish to it.
Because it doesn't look cool? Is that the complaint we coming to in 2016. Lawd have mercy

Edit: DD makes everything looks scripted which is cool but not as realistic as Luke cage just slapping niggas into a comma and getting shot up

The Kree

Banned
Yeah, why should a fight scene on TV look cool. What the hell was I thinking. It's not like I wanna enjoy what I'm watching or anything.

TheFlow

Banned
Yeah, why should a fight scene on TV look cool. What the hell was I thinking. It's not like I wanna enjoy what I'm watching or anything.
Luke stomping people isn't cool? This isn't DD.. Lol.

Cats out here want 7 min fight scenes with tons of flips.

Luke ends fights quick because he has the power too. If DD could he would too.

Define cool.

Luke going through guys like an unstoppable tank is "cool". Fancy choreographed fights or even basic brawling doesn't make sense for the character either.

TheFlow

Banned
every fight DD had that people loved could be handled by Luke in 5 secs with one hit. That is what people are not realizing here. He is a tank not a ninja

Luke going through guys like an unstoppable tank is "cool". Fancy choreographed fights or even like brawling doesn't make sense for the character either.
Its cool as an idea, but its boring on screen. If Luke is bored in the fights you can't blame the audience for feeling that too.

Lexi Alexander took some of this on.

In fighting, any style, the higher the weight class the less gracefulness but the more knock out power. That's the truth. So Luke Cage was choreographed absolutely beautiful and authentic. Anybody who says Daredevil had better fights just likes the flashy stuff better (most likely a person who has never ever been in a fight themselves, they always like flashy better).

So that's my 10 p on Luke Cage fighting choreography. Excellent, excellent job. I'd have cried if he'd done spinning, jumping hook kicks.

Its cool as an idea, but its boring on screen. If Luke is bored in the fights you can't blame the audience for feeling that too.

I can agree with this, but you're not going to get much movement on that without powered opponents. Of the entire crew, Cage is the most problematic in this regard, being mostly indestructible.

Is it any different when the unstoppable action hero effortlessly takes down a room full of bad guys? The outcome is the same, except slick moves make sense in one and doesn't in the other,

Shaanyboi

Banned

This is how people justify the lame ass fights in the Star Wars prequels. Luke isn't a ninja, nor does he need to be. Dude is a near unstoppable tank. Why would he and a bunch of street-level goons be pulling off flips and shit?

You have Daredevil and Iron Fist for the flashy stuff. Luke is just gonna bulldoze fools.

I'm not sure what those have to do with one another. And it clearly isn't true, considering how incredibly popular this is

203.jpg

The Kree

Banned
Luke stomping people isn't cool? This isn't DD.. Lol.

Cats out here want 7 min fight scenes with tons of flips.

Luke ends fights quick because he has the power too. If DD could he would too.

Yes, but it looks boring when he does it. It's not boring because he's strong. It's boring because the choreography, physical performance, and framing sucks. It doesn't have to be that way.

Example: https://youtu.be/rpPD7whxh9o?t=45s

Yes, but it looks boring when he does it. It's not boring because he's strong. It's boring because the choreography, physical performance, and framing sucks. It doesn't have to be that way.

That's what Luke Cage needs. More roid rage, more yelling and more needless flailing. You realize these fights aren't comparable, right? That guy is strong, not literally impervious to ANY damage the other character can inflict.

The Kree

Banned
That's what Luke Cage needs. More roid rage, more yelling and more needless flailing. You realize these fights aren't comparable, right? That guy is strong, not literally impervious to ANY damage the other character can inflict.

You're missing the point on purpose. I'm not asking for yelling and flailing.

It looks boring to you.

Others have already said the action scenes are dope and make sense for the character. You just like flashy stuff over substance. Nothing wrong with that

I'm aware that my opinion is valid. Thanks.

The choregraphy and physical performance doesn't suck. In fact, it's perfectly in character and exactly what the tone of the show requires. That Protector fight doesnt even compare because 1) Luke isnt trying to kill, just knock out and incapacitate, 2) he has a calm "fool...please" swagger compared to the psychotic hulk who can be hurt, and 3) The Protector is all about showing how cool Tony Jaa is above anything else, while in Luke Cage, the fights and action are secondary to the story

Depends on the viewer. I didn't go in expecting Luke to do Avengers-type action sequences.
Had no expectations for flips or completely hulking out. Guess I could have used some kind of brawling or boxing to it. Some more movement.

He just kind of expressionlessly taps guys. The throws and slamming guys into walls and ceilings work though.

Spinluck

Fighting is meh, but it's the same deal with Jessica Jones here. I didn't expect much. It's worse here because Luke is resistant as fuck.

Had no expectations for flips or completely hulking out. Guess I could have used some kind of brawling or boxing to it. Some more movement.

He just kind of expressionlessly taps guys. The throws and slamming guys into walls and ceilings work though.

As I pointed out earlier, Cage knows how to box, but him boxing would kill any unpowered opponent.

What happened to the Councilman when Diamondback hit him? Caving in chests. That's be Cage in every fight. He literally can't.

You're asking for fights to throw out all sense of logic for the sake of flashiness. You post a clip showing Tony Jaa vs a hard to defeat foe and are trying to compare it to fights against an impossible to defeat foe. And as people have pointed out, Luke exerting any sort of serious effort would kill anyone he's fighting against. Flashiness makes no sense in either side of the fight

Slayven

As I pointed out earlier, Cage knows how to box, but him boxing would kill any unpowered opponent.

What happened to the Councilman when Diamondback hit him? Caving in chests. That's be Cage in every fight. He literally can't.

He says that in the second ep " My best shot would kill you"

TheFlow

Banned

I'm aware that my opinion is valid. Thanks.
You are asking luke to be out of character so you think the fights are "cool"

The thing is luke makes everything he does cool because he is one smooth cat. Calmly slapping fools is the greatest thing to watch.

TheFlow

Banned
You're asking for fights to throw out all sense of logic for the sake of flashiness. You post a clip showing Tony Jaa vs a hard to defeat foe and are trying to compare it to fights against an impossible to defeat foe. And as people have pointed out, Luke exerting any sort of serious effort would kill anyone he's fighting against. Flashiness makes no sense in either side of the fight
Bruh what is so hard to understand. We out here spoon feeding them reasons why and still don't understand.

Luke has to hold back every time no matter what.

Then maybe emote more? Show him struggling to contain his strength? Get that camera moving more? Something?

I really do get the points you guys are making, but I still think there has to be a way to make those scenes more exciting or interesting.

I mean, I get what Null and Kree are saying. But within the show's logic, Cage will never get into those kinds of fights.

He needs powered foes to get there. Perhaps Defenders will cover it.

The Kree

Banned
The choregraphy and physical performance doesn't suck. In fact, it's perfectly in character and exactly what the tone of the show requires. That Protector fight doesnt even compare because 1) Luke isnt trying to kill, just knock out and incapacitate, 2) he has a calm "fool...please" swagger compared to the psychotic hulk who can be hurt, and 3) The Protector is all about showing how cool Tony Jaa is above anything else, while in Luke Cage, the fights and action are secondary to the story

It is calm, but there is no swagger. It's sloppy and boring. I don't need him to hit like he's trying to kill. I dunno why you're all acting like there's no middle ground between Daredevil and drunken midget wrestling.

Sanjuro

I think that's why Luke works better for a sidekick if you are looking for that sort of action. Having him do those sort of things in his universe consistently would have strained the narrative.

TheFlow

Banned
I mean, I get what Null and Kree are saying. But within the show's logic, Cage will never get into those kinds of fights.

He needs powered foes to get there. Perhaps Defenders will cover it.
Pretty much. Luke doesn't get a real challenge like Daredevil and hell even Jessica.

He is basically the hulk of the TV universe

TheFlow

Banned
It is calm, but there is no swagger. It's sloppy and boring. I don't need him to hit like he's trying to kill. I dunno why you're all acting like there's no middle ground between Daredevil and drunken midget wrestling.
No swagger? Sloppy? Ok now you just gotta stop telling lies

I think that's why Luke works better for a sidekick if you are looking for that sort of action. Having him do those sort of things in his universe consistently would have strained the narrative.

I'm in agreement that a Heroes of Hire series would shore up some of these issues. Cage's fighting style looks cool in contrast to another fighter who's a bit more vulnerable. His detached cool makes sense, but looks better next to Jones in her show. I assume it'd be the same next to Iron Fist or Daredevil.

TheFlow

Banned
I'm in agreement that a Heroes of Hire series would shore up some of these issues. Cage's fighting style looks cool in contrast to another fighter who's a bit more vulnerable. His detached cool makes sense, but looks better next to Jones in her show. I assume it'd be the same next to Iron Fist or Daredevil.
Oh for sure.

For example iron fist is flipping and doing crazy martial arts while luke has like 8 dudes on top of him all in one scene. This actually happened in the recent comic.

That is why defenders is going to look sooo boss

Top Bottom