• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Luke Cage |OT| Bulletproof While Black - September 30th on Netflix

Based on what they've shown in their respective shows? Luke Cage by far. Based on the comics? Luke Cage by far.

I don't know. Leaping like that requires immense strength. Jessica hasn't really had an opportunity to show off how strong she can really be; she spends the entire season trying to lay low and not make a big fuss. Plus she's more vulnerable so she would have to be careful about when she shows her strength.

Or it could just be that it's inconsistent.

Glix

Watched the first six or seven episodes...

As someone who works for the NY City Council......

This is not a very flattering look for us, lol.

GeeTeeCee

I just watched episode 5, and it already feels like the main conflict is pretty much an episode or two away from its logical conclusion.

Please say the second half of this series doesn't start treading water like Jessica Jones did.

ChaosXVI

I just watched episode 5, and it already feels like the main conflict is pretty much an episode or two away from its logical conclusion.

Please say the second half of this series doesn't start treading water like Jessica Jones did.

Well, it kind of does, but not nearly as badly as Jessica Jones did where Kilgrave just kept...getting away.

LakeEarth

686084.gif

I blame the practice of giving the first half of the season to reviewers. It encourages a mid-season climax, which would be okay except the Netflix Marvel shows seem to always need a few episodes to re-establish itself afterwards.

It's still totally worth watching through.

It takes a few episodes but either you get over it and still enjoy the show, or you don't and end up hating the show.

But I hope you still stick around cuz Ep 12 man, damn. You would never see that on regular TV.

harSon

Banned
I don't know. Leaping like that requires immense strength. Jessica hasn't really had an opportunity to show off how strong she can really be; she spends the entire season trying to lay low and not make a big fuss. Plus she's more vulnerable so she would have to be careful about when she shows her strength.

Or it could just be that it's inconsistent.

Luke Cage
throws people dozens of feet across rooms, rips off car doors and bends them around people, throws couches like they're basketballs, stopped a speeding car by dipping his shoulder into it, balled a handgun into a ball like it was playdoh, etc.

I don't think it's even close, and that's consistent with their power differences in the source material.

Loved the show, and it had the smallest second half dip of any of the other Netflix marvel shows. Probably my favorite overall, though the first half of DD season 2 has a special place in my heart for the sick action and Frank Castle.

Luke Cage
throws people dozens of feet across rooms, rips off car doors and bends them around people, throws couches like they're basketballs, stopped a speeding car by dipping his shoulder into it, balled a handgun into a ball like it was playdoh, etc.

I don't think it's even close, and that's consistent with their power differences in the source material.

Jessica Jones was shown to do very similar things, but uses her strength in very subtle ways. I still feel the way she just casually pulls chains apart without even tensing her muscles suggests we haven't actually seen her use her peak strength yet.

TheFlow

Banned
Jessica Jones was shown to do very similar things, but uses her strength in very subtle ways. I still feel the way she just casually pulls chains apart without even tensing her muscles suggests we haven't actually seen her use her peak strength yet.
She doesn't match cage. I promise you

It's good with great dialogue but abit too wordy. Does luke have a weekness because it seems he's pretty much superman without speed and flight.

It's good with great dialogue but abit too wordy. Does luke have a weekness because it seems he's pretty much superman without speed and flight.

The drowning thing would've worked.

Comic JJ is Spider-Man level. She's meant to be a glass cannon. Can't take the hits, but she can dish them out.

Show JJ? Cap level?

One episode to go and I'm not seeing the complaints about the last few episodes. I don't really feel like it's lost steam, they've spent some time setting up the endgame and putting pieces in place for next season. The final episode could be one big fight and resolutions and id be pretty satisfied. Will catch it tomorrow but as of right now this is probably the best Netflix outing since DD S1 IMO.

Was loving this show until (big spoilers)
Cottonmouth died and Diamondback showed up
. Since then its taken a huge dive and I'm having a hard time getting through each episode.

Mike Colter is really hit or miss with each episode too. Sometimes he's in the moment and can actually emote. Other times its like he's just reading words off a script in monotone.

Still, there's a heart of gold to this, and made for some damn enjoyable episodes midway through.

Kind of want him to wear a yellow shirt. Speculating about DD and punisher's costumes and their alterations was a big part of the fun for me.

Luke Cage

A lot of Cage's power seems to come from the fact he's indestructible. Even if JJ is "stronger" than him (flying is a good example of this), she can't really flex that strength without hurting herself. At least that's my casual take on it.

Y'all realize we already saw how their strength compares in Jessica Jones, right?

Luke threw dozens of guys off him with ease, Jessica struggles more.

Luke *walks* towards the bus driver while Jessica tries to stop him, he pushes her back by... continuing to walk.

Jessica uses a SHOTGUN TO THE HEAD to stop him, because he physically overpowers her.

TheFlow

Banned
Y'all realize we already saw how their strength compares in Jessica Jones, right?

Luke threw dozens of guys off him with ease, Jessica struggles more.

Luke *walks* towards the bus driver while Jessica tries to stop him, he pushes her back by... continuing to walk.

Jessica uses a SHOTGUN TO THE HEAD to stop him, because he physically overpowers her.
Let's this put an end to who is stronger.

Also guys Jessica's flight/leap is not because she is really strong but another ability of hers that she also had in the comics. Aka she was able to fly

So I'm three episodes in now. I generally like the show and there's been some good twists that keep it interesting. But I feel like those twists are absolutely necessary to always be coming because of how in some ways boring Luke Cage is as a character. Not necessarily because of his personality being reserved generally (I mean Murdock for instance is worse personality wise with the constant angst, Luke being reserved is fine), but because his abilities have shown he has very little weakness outside of "he cares" I mean he's nearly indestructible outside of some very precise methods and so far he's just been a bull in a China Shop. It's like how I can't enjoy superman because it's so predictable as he almost never needs to adapt or think on his feet due to overwhelming power.

My other big issue though is how blase cotton mouth is because he's very much a cliche new money gangster. I think Villains are arguably more important than the hero in these shows. Outside of his picture of Biggie and being involved in the black community nothing really sets him apart (so far) from other gangsters outside the fact he's unbelievable reckless and even a patrol cop could see the pattern in behaviors of his crew and incidents around them/him to completely shut down his operation because there would be so much media heat they wouldn't have a choice. I don't even see how their operation is able to run at all. The suspension of disbelief just isn't there for me.

So far I'm at a 6/10

So I'm three episodes in now. I generally like the show and there's been some good twists that keep it interesting. But I feel like those twists are absolutely necessary to always be coming because of how in some ways boring Luke Cage is as a character. Not necessarily because of his personality being reserved generally (I mean Murdock for instance is worse personality wise with the constant angst, Luke being reserved is fine), but because his abilities have shown he has very little weakness outside of "he cares" I mean he's nearly indestructible outside of some very precise methods and so far he's just been a bull in a China Shop. It's like how I can't enjoy superman because it's so predictable as he almost never needs to adapt or think on his feet due to overwhelming power.
When you have a character like Cage or Superman, the stakes often aren't him being injuried but the safety of everyone else and the villains hurting them in more ways other than physically.

If you go in being annoyed that the hero doesn't get hurt, I'd argue that's the wrong mindset. In Luke Cage, the stakes aren't Cage's health; it's the hearts and minds of the community. That's where Cage can be hurt.

Yeah, all of her ideas for killing Luke were worth a shot, but instead they just punch and shoot at him some more.

Well, outside of the poisoning aspect and him having a woman, how could they really get him in a position to drown or burn him really? It's not like they could just simply overpower him into a large body of water, let lone construct something strong enough to truly keep him unable to break free in time.

When you have a character like Cage or Superman, the stakes often aren't him being injuried but the safety of everyone else and the villains hurting them in more ways other than physically.

If you go in being annoyed that the hero doesn't get hurt, I'd argue that's the wrong mindset. In Luke Cage, the stakes aren't Cage's health; it's the hearts and minds of the community. That's where Cage can be hurt.
Reminds me of Kung Fu.

Kwai Chang Caine didn't get his ass kicked often. It was a matter of the story eventually reaching the point where he'd reluctantly clear house.

Cage is stronger than Jones, but the latter can fly/glide(?) so...

Flight has nothing to do with super-strength, outside the status quo of a good number of superhero tropes/traits are ones that have both. Just the same tho, there's a multitude of ones that only have one or the other, obviously showcasing their lack of dependency of one equating to the other.

Cage, Colossus, Thing, Hulk, Juggernaut, Strong Guy, Mr. Incredible = all have immense super strength, able to lift several tons, respectively. None can fly (Hulk can leap high for miles tho, due to his strength. None of the rest have ever shown to have this linked ability tho)

Archangel, Storm, Jean Grey, Magneto, Nathan Petrelli, David Blaine = all can fly, but none have super strength

Superman, Rogue, JJ, Gladiator, Shazam, Thor = Can do both

Just the same, super-strength and super-speed can go hand and hand, neither is dependent on the other. Hell, Supes is one of few that actually has both of these.

That's what I meant by "he cares". That makes for really boring personal development in the character typically though or superficial at best of inevitable burn out and hide because people get hurt because of you. Moral dilemma time etc. I want to see personal character growth and an increase in a characters ability to handle problems. I mean I've just started here so I figure that will happen. But my biggest problem is still with the main Villains right now. Maybe I just need to wait for Diamondback to get involved though.
please tell me it's not the prison guard that was forcing him to fight
(spoiler is a guess about a plot element)

J_Viper

Misty's cop partner is Foggy 2.0. Fucking terrible.

I'm digging episode 2 so far. That scene in the barbershop was ace. Cottonmouth is already a more memorable villain than any in the MCU.

TheFlow

Banned
Misty's cop partner is Foggy 2.0. Fucking terrible.

I'm digging episode 2 so far. That scene in the barbershop was ace. Cottonmouth is already a more memorable villain than any in the MCU.
Cottonmouth, Loki, and the purple man are the best so far period

harSon

Banned
Flight has nothing to do with super-strength, outside the status quo of a good number of superhero tropes/traits are ones that have both. Just the same tho, there's a multitude of ones that only have one or the other, obviously showcasing their lack of dependency of one equating to the other.

Cage, Colossus, Thing, Hulk, Juggernaut, Strong Guy, Mr. Incredible = all have immense super strength, able to lift several tons, respectively. None can fly (Hulk can leap high for miles tho, due to his strength. None of the rest have ever shown to have this linked ability tho)

Archangel, Storm, Jean Grey, Magneto, Nathan Petrelli, David Blaine = all can fly, but none have super strength

Just the same, super-strength and super-speed can go hand and hand, neither is dependent on the other. Hell, Supes is one of few that actually has both of these.

Luke's got hops too though

Luke-Cage-Jump-e1475247720663.jpg

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Finished it today.

Started out really strong, had a quality in the middle and got stronger by the end but it never got as good as the first 3 episodes.

Luke Cage should've kept the tone of those first 3 episodes and not have become a superhero show.

The Kree

Banned
It would be cool if next time around someone tries
the Judas bullets on him and they don't work because his body has adapted. Then they try poisoning and stuff.

Gorillaz

Finished it last night. Had to sleep on it in terms of ratings first.

DD S2>>LC=DD1>>>>>>>JJ

Luke Cage never had a real "high" other the big moment halfway through, but it was consistent throughout. Like what you saw was what you were getting for the most part in terms of pace and overall vibe. The only time it felt like it was about to hit this fever pitch was
during episodes 6 and 7 having cottonmouth killed off like that.
and after that it cooled off and went back to normal. Alfre never felt to me like she was "comfortable" playing the Mariah character. Especially in the latter episodes. Like it bugged her or something.

I think due to the simple fact it didn't hit a terrible terrible low it gets by JJ for me. JJ had way stronger moments with Purple and JJ. Especially during the whole house sitting to water tank storyline. Then it fucked around again and meandered to the end. I put Cage with DD1 for different reasons. Themes presented in Cage with it's neo blaxploitation vibe gave it a fun viewpoint then the average marvel/netflix show. Even if it was a bit corny. However the fight scenes need fucking work. For real, do something with that shit next go around.

Overall good. Season 2 of DD still the top for me with this netflix shit but this wasn't a bad treat either.

Loved the show, and it had the smallest second half dip of any of the other Netflix marvel shows. Probably my favorite overall, though the first half of DD season 2 has a special place in my heart for the sick action and Frank Castle.

Yup my thoughts exactly. But to me it goes.

DD S2 all Punisher Episodes
Luke Cage
DD S1
JJ S1
Rest of DD S2.

I also liked the intro to LC the best so far.

LIking the show so far.. but I still don't understand how a show like Daredevil can have such amazing choreography, and brutal looking hits, then you have shows like Luke Cage where it looks like he is lightly slapping people, and the choreography is pretty piss poor. The action isn't as bad as Jessica Jones (which reminded me of episodes of Charmed any time people fought..), but it's still pretty lame compared to Daredevil.

The action in the show is it's biggest short coming so far.

I wanted to like the show more. It was good and I didn't mind that it felt predictable because it was setting things up and I was interested to see where it went. I really didn't like where it went and just hated the character brought in during the back end. Felt like it had a good tone to start that was dropped and it became almost silly at the end.

I'm only disappointed because I had really high hopes. I'd say it was on par with JJ but in general I liked all the side characters much more in Cage.

TheFlow

Banned
LIking the show so far.. but I still don't understand how a show like Daredevil can have such amazing choreography, and brutal looking hits, then you have shows like Luke Cage where it looks like he is lightly slapping people, and the choreography is pretty piss poor. The action isn't as bad as Jessica Jones (which reminded me of episodes of Charmed any time people fought..), but it's still pretty lame compared to Daredevil.

The action in the show is it's biggest short coming so far.
I think you are missing the main difference between luke cage and daredevil.

The action is completely fine

Wouldn't it make sense for every character who has super strength to jump higher, farther, and run faster than normal humans? I mean that strength should extend to their legs.

Top Bottom