• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Luke Cage *SPOILER THREAD* |OT| Where WAS His Money, Honey?

Not trying to defend Hammer, but wasn't the suit mostly powered by Cage's attacks? At least that's what I thought, it got stronger when he got hit.

Exactly. Stark is all about PR and fluff, Hammer gets the job done. In just a few days they came up with a suit specifically designed to counter Cage. That is impressive.

Not trying to defend Hammer, but wasn't the suit mostly powered by Cage's attacks? At least that's what I thought, it got stronger when he got hit.

Yeah, Cage said 'the more I gave the more he dished out'. After he threw a ton of punches it went down.

For combat use, it probably would have been powered by getting hit by bullets, which would be great until an enemy force figured that out.

Exactly. Stark is all about PR and fluff, Hammer gets the job done. In just a few days they came up with a suit specifically designed to counter Cage. That is impressive.
Yeah, Cage said 'the more I gave the more he dished out'. After he threw a ton of punches it went down.

For combat use, it probably would have been powered by getting hit by bullets, which would be great until an enemy force figured that out.
Which is still a horrible design. You either have to put yourself in danger to be able to use the suit, or the enemy doesn't attack you and your suit becomes useless.

I have a question that I already posted in the OT but it got lost in the sea of impressions: did Diamondback really wanted to kill Luke? Why/how did he miss that shot with the sniper at the end of episode 8 I think, he was right in front of Luke, and he already hit him from so far away before. A chest shot or a headshot would've killed him in the spot, but he hit him in the goddamn shoulder, the most useless place.

It's not like he had bad aim, during the series he made quite a few nice shots, like the knife into that dude's eye.

Which is still a horrible design. You either have to put yourself in danger to be able to use the suit, or the enemy doesn't attack you and your suit becomes useless.

It doesn't become useless. It just has a battery that dies out at some point. Noone knows how much punishment Luke Cage can take. The suit had plenty of power to let Diamondback beat the crap out of Luke, it could very well have been enough to kill him. In addition to that the suit could absorb energy and repower itself. Brilliant design. Had Luke not figured it out as fast as it did he would have surely died. Not to mention that the suit withstood a lot of heavy hits and it protected its wearer perfectly. Come on, give credit where credit is due.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Here's a question, did they not take out the shrapnel from Luke's shoulder? Claire only pulled 3 pieces out from the stomach wound, but she never went to his shoulder to remove those, or did I miss it?

Here's a question, did they not take out the shrapnel from Luke's shoulder? Claire only pulled 3 pieces out from the stomach wound, but she never went to his shoulder to remove those, or did I miss it?

Continuity error I guess, I thought the same thing.

---

If that suit was full body + closed helmet I would've brought a few grenades, just blow yourself up to charge, something like Sebastian Shaw. Can't do that with an open helmet though.

KarmaCow

I think they just fucked up the edit, the entire scene was a mess. Didn't they also use the ultrasound from the gut shot when they were removing shrapnel from the shoulder?

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
What's with all this Hammertech that actually works now? The MCU Hammer was not great at his job.

iron-man-2-north-korean-missile-o.gif

I have a question that I already posted in the OT but it got lost in the sea of impressions: did Diamondback really wanted to kill Luke? Why/how did he miss that shot with the sniper at the end of episode 8 I think, he was right in front of Luke, and he already hit him from so far away before. A chest shot or a headshot would've killed him in the spot, but he hit him in the goddamn shoulder, the most useless place.

It's not like he had bad aim, during the series he made quite a few nice shots, like the knife into that dude's eye.
Seemed like a "he needs to suffer first" kind of plan IMO

It was better than jessica jones I thought...pretty enjoyable. Both still leagues behind Daredevil.

I feel like luke cage is extremely easy to kill with the introduction of judas bullets.

I think Diamondback just sucks as a shooter.
To be fair, Diamondback's reveal and when he massacred the room of gang leaders were his best moments in the show

Everything else felt like a big step-down from the mystery of the first half of the season. Why would Cottonmouth answer to a gunrunner/assassin? Shades' comments and Stokes' reactions made Diamondback seem like a Kingpin-style figure, this powerful untouchable crime lord who controlled Harlem

To be fair, Diamondback's reveal and when he massacred the room of gang leaders were his best moments in the show

Everything else felt like a big step-down from the mystery of the first half of the season. Why would Cottonmouth answer to a gunrunner/assassin? Shades' comments and Stokes' reactions made Diamondback seem like a Kingpin-style figure, this powerful untouchable crime lord who controlled Harlem

When you put it like that it kinda reminds me of a monster movie.... the actual monster rarely lives up the hype.

Fuck this man. My enthusiasm for the show took a dive when they killed cottonmouth. He was so good. I figured they would bring him back somehow, maybe have the doc that did Luke do the same to him. But looks like they going that route with Diamondback. Makes sense since he wanted Luke's DNA for my experiments but still, damn.

Still was a good show, especially the first half or so with Cottonmouth. Shades was nice, Misty as well. Turk and Fish were cool as well. Method Man cameo wasn't bad eihter.

Diamondback was kinda meh. Cottonmouth was the superior villain.

Yea it was weird. Like Cottonmouth was worried DB would take over Harlem but it seems like the Arms thing was only one of the many pies Cornell had his hand in. So DB couldn't really do anything if he tried to take over his other rackets. Which is why he left Domingo alive I guess. Didn't really seem like DB had a real organization either. Seemed like mostly a one man show on his end with him delegating a lot of stuff to Shades.

Yep, I'm salty as fuck about the cottonmouth thing lol.

seat

I was also disappointed at the lack of a Murdock cameo given Claire mentioning him a few times. Going into the series I was actually really hoping for a Jessica cameo, but we didn't get anything like that except for Claire, which... who cares anymore?

As a whole, this series if fine, but it doesn't hold a candle to Daredevil or JJ. Marvel and Netflix really need to consider shortening these series down from thirteen episodes, as this one clearly had a lot of filler. We didn't need a scene with Misty piecing together how Cottonmouth died, we literally saw it just a few episodes earlier. There's no need to see a re-framed shot of it all over again if it doesn't reveal anything new about it. Clearly very little was left on the cutting room floor when this was edited.

No one would complain if we got less episodes of this in a season, and there's no reason for a full thirteen episode season as it's all available at once. Stranger Things only had eight episodes, and it's a homerun.

Yep, talked about that yesterday, pretty good easter egg. Stopping to read text finally proved to be worthy.

Episode 10 easter egg spoilers:
Did you guys catch the Back to the Future easter egg in the paper? I always like to stop and read when they put stuff like that on the screen, hoping to find error or even Lorem Ipsum. This time though they put an eastee egg from BTTF, talking about a certain "Brown" that created a device which could enable time travel in the future, "when plutonium is available at every corner drugstore[...]" They also mention that he got under fire in 1985 for including a teenager in his experiments.

jmood88

I was also disappointed at the lack of a Murdock cameo given Claire mentioning him a few times. Going into the series I was actually really hoping for a Jessica cameo, but we didn't get anything like that except for Claire, which... who cares anymore?

As a whole, this series if fine, but it doesn't hold a candle to Daredevil or JJ. Marvel and Netflix really need to consider shortening these series down from thirteen episodes, as this one clearly had a lot of filler. We didn't need a scene with Misty piecing together how Cottonmouth died, we literally saw it just a few episodes earlier. There's no need to see a re-framed shot of it all over again if it doesn't reveal anything new about it. Clearly very little was left on the cutting room floor when this was edited.

No one would complain if we got less episodes of this in a season, and there's no reason for a full thirteen episode season as it's all available at once. Stranger Things only had eight episodes, and it's a homerun.
People also complained about Stranger Things being too long.

Fuck this man. My enthusiasm for the show took a dive when they killed cottonmouth. He was so good. I figured they would bring him back somehow, maybe have the doc that did Luke do the same to him. But looks like they going that route with Diamondback. Makes sense since he wanted Luke's DNA for my experiments but still, damn.

Still was a good show, especially the first half or so with Cottonmouth. Shades was nice, Misty as well. Turk and Fish were cool as well. Method Man cameo wasn't bad eihter.

Diamondback was kinda meh. Cottonmouth was the superior villain.

Yea it was weird. Like Cottonmouth was worried DB would take over Harlem but it seems like the Arms thing was only one of the many pies Cornell had his hand in. So DB couldn't really do anything if he tried to take over his other rackets. Which is why he left Domingo alive I guess. Didn't really seem like DB had a real organization either. Seemed like mostly a one man show on his end with him delegating a lot of stuff to Shades.

Yep, I'm salty as fuck about the cottonmouth thing lol.
I agree. I wanted to see more of Remy Danton fleshed out on this show and I also was sort of speculating that he would've been brought back somehow. Very fucking disappointing.

Yeah, I was disappointed not seeing a Matt Murdock cameo as well. I mean, we all know this time next year all the characters will have met one another, but it still would've been fucking cool for them to meet as coco loans before they teamed up as fucking superheroes. Smh.

Just finished episode 13.
I feel like this is my No Man's Sky. And I bought No Man's Sky.

My apologies if I'm super negative, I really wanted to like this show and I'm glad a lot of people did.

I can't criticize episodes 1 through 8 too much. They fell flat for me but the cinematography and soundtrack were on point and aside from the shitty action scenes it was solid and without major flaws. After that, it became really painful and the final confrontation was laughable. Cottonmouth was incredibly charismatic but Diamondback was nothing but an embarassing joke of a character. I want a gif supercut of every horrible shot of him and Luke being thrown in the air in that last fight. The last 5 minutes were cool, it gives me hope for a good Heroes for Hire show. I don't think I would give a season 2 of Luke Cage a shot at this point. The show never sunk as low as Jessica Jones did but it never came close to its best episodes either. I liked Mike Colter in JJ but here for 13 overlong episodes he was incredibly uncharismatic.
5/10

Misty and all the female characters were great though, that's definitely a huge plus. And Turk continues to be the best at being the worst.

My Netflix ranking:
1) Daredevil Season 2: episodes 1 - 4
2) Daredevil Season 1
3) Jessica Jones: episodes 1-6
4) Luke Cage
5) Jessica Jones: episodes 7-13

It's not Diamondback that's the problem per se. It's his backers (Justin Hammer) that gives his name all the street clout. He's running a gang that vastly outguns everyone else via Hammer tech. The suit is proof of that. Which works beautifully by the way. Powerful enough to cave in a man's chest by itself, self charging via kinetic energy. Not bad for a prototype.

Cottonmouth knew that in a street war he'd never win, and he was right.

wildfire

Banned
Up until episode 8 I felt this was among the best Netflix shows. But they did lose a lot of steam after he got shot and had to recover. The trappings of having to follow Luke Cage comic to a degree probably harmed what should've been an excellent second half.

That said I'm still looking forward to rewatching this again than any other Marvel show.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty good show. I feel it dragged on 2 or 3 more episodes than it should have though. Cottonmouth was great (both character and actor) and while I didn't want the whole season to be about him the switch to Diamondback was a huge step down. Talk about a boring ass villain and it looks like he'll be returning.. ugh. Absolutely loved Misty Knight and I really hope to see more of her in future series.

DD1&2>Luke Cage> Jessica Jones.

SpaceWolf

Banned
These heroes need to stay the hell away from Claire
Girl is a sign of trouble

If they did, they would all be dead, though.

I'd like to see an alternate universe where Claire Temple was never born, It's A Wonderful Life style. For one thing, Matt Murdock would have died in a dumpster on account of his injuries in the second episode of his own series and Luke Cage would have died on account of hemorrhaging due to that shotgun blast in Jessica Jones.

Lady's doing good work.

Just finished it. Thought it was okay. A bit slow and it felt a lot like Godzilla where action is teased, but you never get to see the whole fight. And when you do, it's kinda boring. Crispus Attucks was the best action set piece in the show. Luke himself is a smooth dude, but kinda bland if I'm being honest. When he's not kicking ass, he's preaching and teaching life lessons all the time or being the reluctant hero. I found every other character more interesting, especially Cottonmouth. Speaking of which, Marvel's gotta stop letting their villains get introduced like punk ass bitches. Cottonmouth got Thanos'd like in Guardians of the Galaxy in the first episode and then again by Scarfe. His people fuck up so much I wonder how he kept his position for so long after inheriting it. Tone, Zip, Dante, Scarfe, they're all fuckups who under-perform or undermine.

I like Misty, but her flip flopping on Luke all the time felt so contrived and unwarranted. Her opinion would change like 3 times in one episode.

Actually liked Diamondback. He's cartoonish and one dimensional sure, but I think that's kidna why I like him. The whole half brother revenge angle is super lame though. And I thought he had a huge organization when it just seems like it's just him and Shades. Shades is also a fucking creep. I kinda like him, but at the same time he's got this weird Suicide Squad Joker thing going on with Mariah. I dunno, due's just kinda creepy. But he's smart enough to call out Diamondback on his garbage hostage plan and escaped a hit, so that's cool.

Thoughts aren't organized cause I just finished it, but those are just my scattered opinions on the show.

Numb

If they did, they would all be dead, though.

I'd like to see an alternate universe where Claire Temple was never born, It's A Wonderful Life style. For one thing, Matt Murdock would have died in a dumpster on account of his injuries in the second episode of his own series and Luke Cage would have died on account of hemorrhaging due to that shotgun blast in Jessica Jones.

Lady's doing good work.

Then things lead to dipping people in acid then electrocute them and then burn them even

Loose threads for the Defenders series:

-That hole in the ground.
-The thing they put Elektra's body into
-Mariah and Shades run the club and streets
-Diamondback gettin together with the Seagate doctor

Did I miss anything else?

I felt this was the most solid of the Netflix Marvel stuff so far. It didn't have quite as many heights as the other shows, but it only had one noticeable trough, in my opinion. Him stumbling around with the shrapnel in him just felt like fluff, they should have sped up him reaching the doctor a bit. Other than that relatively short time though, it never dropped below a 7/10 for me.

doop_

Banned
To me, this is the only Marvel-Netflix show that didn't get boring mid way. Definitely better than JJ and anyone who says otherwise is a liar.

The Light

What I don't get is Diamondback going from the kingpin boogeyman figure to austin powers level villainy. How did he become this dude everyone is afraid of? Did he just decide to drop everything just to go after Luke? Did he know Luke was always in the area?

I liked Diamondback but there was so much unexplained with him.

What I don't get is Diamondback going from the kingpin boogeyman figure to austin powers level villainy. How did he become this dude everyone is afraid of? Did he just decide to drop everything just to go after Luke? Did he know Luke was always in the area?

I liked Diamondback but there was so much unexplained with him.

Diamondback is such a weird and unnecessary addition to this show. Why does he basically have only one henchman? How can he possibly be running this tentacular criminal enterprise?

Diamondback is such a weird and unnecessary addition to this show. Why does he basically have only one henchman? How can he possibly be running this tentacular criminal enterprise?
He runs it through fear. He says as much to Mariah that he'll be disappearing soon but he'll still be keeping tabs.

How he escaped from that standoff with the Latino's was a bit unbelievable though.

Reivaxe

DiamondBack was the weakest thing about this show.

It's like "I'M CRRRAAAZZZZY!!! WANNA KNOW WHY?!?! FOR NO REAL REASON AT ALL OTHER THAN YEARS OF MISDIRECTED RESENTMENT AND BEING SUPER DUPER JELLY!!!!!! I GREW UP IN JUVEEE, I WANTED DADDY LOVE TO!".

Where as Cotton Mouth had to ... kill not only a peer but his own uncle by request of his mother figure at the age of 14 or something and grew to not only admire her traits but also see the potential in his cousin having said traits which pushed him to push her down that path.

Shades was like Wesley from DD but treated right. Smart, sharp and had his shit together. Soo glad he didn't die to some stupid bullshit.

Also, anyone else assumed Shades had powers when he was introduced?
Like hey, his name is Shades and he has to come see people in person to confirm shit and Shades don't seem to be that uncommon so he must wear them for a reason if everyone calls him that and he's from Luke's past where he got his powers from being fucked with ... maybe he has some kinda eye powers? Nope, he just like wearing shades and it's an utter coincidence that these two met up again in life o_O

Top Bottom