• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Secret Wars Hype Thread - Where we argue about what "reboot" means

duckroll

Yeah this is basically exactly what I expected. It wasn't even a real press conference, just a livestream for fans trying to get people excited for Secret Wars and giving a primer on what to expect. They didn't even really announce anything! Well except for Secret Wars #0 (with Avengers Attack on Titan!) for Free Comic Book Day. Lol.

I don't really understand what a country that's a storyline arc even.. means. Like, "Age of Ultron" country. What.. what is that. What the hell is a "Planet Hulk" country. How can a physical place be defined by a period of time? Are these "countries" divided by some kind of temporal walls? Are characters duplicated across countries, if they were key in those events? How can time = space!??!

It's space-time, dude.

Caboose

I don't really understand what a country that's a storyline arc even.. means. Like, "Age of Ultron" country. What.. what is that. What the hell is a "Planet Hulk" country. How can a physical place be defined by a period of time? Are these "countries" divided by some kind of temporal walls? Are characters duplicated across countries, if they were key in those events? How can time = space!??!

How can she slap?

Ultima_5

Does anyone else wish comics were way simpler and didn't have any of this complicated continuity stuff? I tried reading blackest night cause a friend recommended it, it was pretty good and I like the introduction at the beginning that explained the situation, but then there were all these references to past events and sudden character introductions, those parts were pretty confusing. I wish there was just story lines with a set beginning and a set end like how a book works and you didn't have to go and read other story lines to fully understand and appreciate the current arc.

no, if you want simple superhero stuff, there's plenty of outlets for your. tv shows, movies, games et cetera.

not to mention most modern comics don't take much backstory into account. just read a wikipedia article on the character and hop on a run with a fresh writer.

Complicated continuity stuff is why I read comics. The dumb, convoluted story telling and character motivations, and flip flops of character personalities, who's dead and who's affiliated where at any given moment is a lot of fun to me.

Its probably also why comic sales are stagnate and not growing, though.

Slayven

Complicated continuity stuff is why I read comics. The dumb, convoluted story telling and character motivations, and flip flops of character personalities, who's dead and who's affiliated where at any given moment is a lot of fun to me.

It is why i live

Spider-Gwen
Venom-Gwen
Carnage-Gwen
Scarlet-Gwen

1966709-carnage_gwen_stacy.jpg

Was so funny.

So, the big announcement is Marvel is doing a DC Crisis Event?

I think most of us called this when Secret Wars 2015 was announced along with all of the other big events being "reannounced" for 2015.

They're going to sort out which bits and pieces get retconned going forward for most of the major events of the past 30 years since the original Secret Wars.

Because Beyonder.

Slayven

I don't think Marvel going to go fun Nu52, they been referencing too much history for that. Shows they love their baggage more than DC does. Miles will probably join the Spidey family, Douch Bag Ultimate Reed will probably be squirming around in the cracks of the universe, etc

duckroll

Think of Battleworld as a Mortal Kombat universe created by someone very, very bored but very, very powerful, and it comprises of a planet where each component of it is inspired by a famous Marvel storyline in the past, but warped in some way. So there'll be a big desert country reminiscent of the post-apocalyptic setting of Old Man Logan, there's a modern setting where people are fighting over registration like Civil War, there's a scifi land ruled by Ultron, there's a zombie land next to it, etc. Like the Disney World of Marvel, except Mortal Kombat themed and everyone fights to the death.

3195686-grant-morrison.jpg

Does anyone else wish comics were way simpler and didn't have any of this complicated continuity stuff? I tried reading blackest night cause a friend recommended it, it was pretty good and I like the introduction at the beginning that explained the situation, but then there were all these references to past events and sudden character introductions, those parts were pretty confusing. I wish there was just story lines with a set beginning and a set end like how a book works and you didn't have to go and read other story lines to fully understand and appreciate the current arc.

The comic book universe continuity doesn't sound like your issue here, rather the tie ins and cross overs between comic series, which a lot of people dislike. (I agree as well)

Ultima_5

Its probably also why comic sales are stagnate and not growing, though.

i think it has more to do with the fact that it's an older medium and most prospective consumers (i.e. kids), have way more things to pick from when they choose how to spend their time.

comics were way more confusing back in the 8/90s when everything had a million crossovers and stories were split between multiple books, and that's when they were at peak popularity.

Savitar

In the end the promise of "the announcement to end all announcements" was not achieved this day.

Disappointed, more of a hype event really.

Mudcrab

I don't think Marvel going to go fun Nu52, they been referencing too much history for that. Shows they love their baggage more than DC does. Miles will probably join the Spidey family, Douch Bag Ultimate Reed will probably be squirming around in the cracks of the universe, etc

Agreed people thinking there will be a full reboot are gonna be disappointed.

I thought they would announce the comeback of the beyonder

This will happen before Secret Wars.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Think of Battleworld as a Mortal Kombat universe created by someone very, very bored but very, very powerful, and it comprises of a planet where each component of it is inspired by a famous Marvel storyline in the past, but warped in some way. So there'll be a big desert country reminiscent of the post-apocalyptic setting of Old Man Logan, there's a modern setting where people are fighting over registration like Civil War, there's a scifi land ruled by Ultron, there's a zombie land next to it, etc. Like the Disney World of Marvel, except Mortal Kombat themed and everyone fights to the death.

Okay so it's not that each country is actually literally that event ripped out of time and happening someplace in the world, with all of the players present. It's more that they are places that are "themed" after that event, in terms of setting and loose history?

D:

I don't need a REASON for it, I just didn't really understand what they were even saying.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
so since i couldnt watch due to the shitshow that was marvel streaming, im guessing this was conference to announce what weve already known?

graffix13

I agree!! When I started collecting in the '80s I just jumped in and followed the story best I could. It was FUN to track down the back issues and fill out the story as I went. And finding back issues is a LOT easier now in 2015 than it was in 1987. It is like some people are just too scared to jump in and they will be totally lost and won't know what's going on. I mean...these are comic books. There really isn't much to 'know'. Read the story and enjoy it.

I don't know. That's just me.

Zomba13

Seems the general consensus to this is "No. Get the fuck out of comics you filthy casual."

Which sucks because I like super heroes and all that stuff. I liked the 90s cartoons and games, I like the Marvel movies and TV shows and as I got the chance to dig in to comics I hit a brick wall because if you want to understand stuff or jump in you kind of have to do it from the start to understand what is going on. Even when there are reboots or whatever to try and make things more welcoming to new comers it gets reverted or takes place in an event that spans multiple series or requires you to know a bunch of prior stuff to understand why things are they way they are now.

I know the basics of the characters I like mainly from just reading wiki pages on the characters to follow them. Not by buying comics and getting involved in the stories but by reading a page of condensed information that gets across the main plot points for the character.

In the end though, comics aren't for me. I will never buy any because I can't get into them and don't have the time or money to dig into a characters full history (and any tangential relations to the series) to understand what is going on now.

duckroll

Okay so it's not that each country is actually literally that event ripped out of time and happening someplace in the world, with all of the players present. It's more that they are places that are "themed" after that event, in terms of setting and loose history?

Correct. They are based on famous events, but they won't be the same. That's how they're taking all the locations of Battleworld and making each one it's own one-shot or limited series during Secret Wars as well. Dustin Weaver is doing Infinity Gauntlet for example, and he already confirmed that while it is inspired by the original, it will be very different and he was given freedom to do his own thing with it.

Age of Ultron vs Marvel Zombies will presumably be exactly what that sounds like, a territorial conflict where Ultron drones fight zombies. And so on.

D:

I don't need a REASON for it, I just didn't really understand what they were even saying.

No each place is an alternate universe or what was left of them.

Some universes are further back in time or forward in time(2099, Future imperfect, classic X-Men, Old Man Logan) but each of those universes are based on event and alternate interpretations or elseworld stories(alternate reality stories).

And this ties in to the Avengers/NA arc of the multiverse dying.

Top Bottom