• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Secret Wars Hype Thread - Where we argue about what "reboot" means

Dunbar

Did you also read everything leading up to Infinity as well? In any case, I think only now a lot of the bigger questions are being answered and things that didn't make sense before are starting to. I think I'm really gona enjoy rereading the whole run after Secret Wars is done.
Oh, yeah, I started with Avengers #1 and New Avengers #1. Didn't make much difference in understanding anything though :)

duckroll

Oh, yeah, I started with Avengers #1 and New Avengers #1. Didn't make much difference in understanding anything though :)

This is something I brought up in another thread while talking about Hickman's FF run. While his stories themselves tend to be contained within the larger arc he is writing for any given event or series, the problem for new readers is that he doesn't shy from using a lot of references and homages to the long history of whatever he is writing about while building the story. This can be very satisfying for long time fans, but can be utterly confusing for those not familiar with the elements he brings together.

SArcher

Banned
I started reading Hickman's Avengers without having read his prior work (nor am I a longtime Marvel reader in general) and I didn't feel like I was missing anything. All in all, I feel it is pretty self-contained.

This She Hulk run was stopped cause some people didn't like the artist and fell even further with the current artist... while Captain marvel has been low selling yet still has a star artist and such.

duckroll

Marvel Comics has outsmarted all the Hollywood lawyers and will take back the film rights for X-men, Fantastic Four, and Spider-man by bringing back the Beyonder this summer.

Don't forget Namor from Universal! That must be what the Avengers #40 thing is all about!!!!

Mafro

This She Hulk run was stopped cause some people didn't like the artist and fell even further with the current artist... while Captain marvel has been low selling yet still has a star artist and such.
They should have had Mike Allred on She Hulk after his excellent work on her on Fraction's FF. Javier Pulido's art, particularly the horror faces, made me not buy the book.

Yeah I heard the Omnibus have his preferred order for the entire run. Wish they did that for the normal trades too. There wasn't really a point splitting the trades into two different series honestly. Future Foundation #1-11 were basically the stand-ins for Fantastic Four #589-599 anyway. After that they should have merged both into single trades. Didn't they do that for Fraction's first FF trade?

I've got volume 2 of Edmondson's run on publisher in the mail right now and that works a Black Widow issue right into the middle, since their stories are starting to overlap. It seems like Marvel is starting to do it in some instances.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
The announcement to end all announcements.

Until the next announcement.

I mean, I'm a DC guy but we all know how this goes:

1) Crisis on Infinite Earths will fix all our problems.
new problems.
1A) Zero Hour will Fix everything!
more new problems.
2) Infinite Crisis will fix all our problems!
superboy punch
3) Final Crisis will confuse everyone!
everyone is confused
4) Blackest Night will take care of death forever in the DC universe
By resurrecting all of the major dead characters!
5) Flashpoint will change everything
Within a year writers will just pretend the pre New52 continuity happened anyway. Except in some cases where it will confusingly be totally ignored... but we brought in the Wildstar Universe, and then cancelled all of those books.

I was hoping for a reboot but with Howard the Duck, Uncanny Avengers, Uncanny Inhumans, and All-New All-Different Avengers launching in the next few months it can't be that unfortunately.

new problems.
1A) Zero Hour will Fix everything!
more new problems.
superboy punch
everyone is confused
Within a year writers will just pretend the pre New52 continuity happened anyway. Except in some cases where it will confusingly be totally ignored... but we brought in the Wildstar Universe, and then cancelled all of those books.

I really doubt permanently killing off the Ultimate universe will cause that big of a ruckus, most of us already pretend it doesn't exist.

Slayven

new problems.
superboy punch
everyone is confused

Sad part is you missed Genesis, Zero Hour, and a couple other continuity corrections.

Blader

I really doubt permanently killing off the Ultimate universe will cause that big of a ruckus, most of us already pretend it doesn't exist.

How many times does the Ultimate universe need to be killed off before it takes?

Feels like the last 5 years of Ultimate comics have all revolved around trying to end that line.

Drayco21

How many times does the Ultimate universe need to be killed off before it takes?

Feels like the last 5 years of Ultimate comics have all revolved around trying to end that line.

As long as The Bendis wants to keep writing Ultimate Spider-Man, he's going to keep it alive through sheer force of will. They're going to have to bring Miles to 616 before they can finish the job .

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
How many New Yorks can fit in Battleworld?

Dunbar

This is something I brought up in another thread while talking about Hickman's FF run. While his stories themselves tend to be contained within the larger arc he is writing for any given event or series, the problem for new readers is that he doesn't shy from using a lot of references and homages to the long history of whatever he is writing about while building the story. This can be very satisfying for long time fans, but can be utterly confusing for those not familiar with the elements he brings together.
I can only say that I totally agree with you. I started reading comics late last year and I've been looking for series that would be newbie-friendly. I thought I'd be more or less safe with any series if I started with the first issue. Nope! With Avengers/New Avengers specifically, I've had to spend so much time on the Marvel wiki or asking people what is going on that it isn't worth it.

Killing the ultimate universe is like drawing an offensive picture of Prophet Mohammed.

Ultimate fans are nuts

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
This looks like a half-assed operation.

I can't imagine anything serious coming from this.

I want them to bring a random ass band like U2 on stage like it's E3 or one of those weird tonedeaf CES conferences.

Top Bottom