• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Secret Wars Hype Thread - Where we argue about what "reboot" means

SRG01

Your first comic is from the uncanny Xmen annual. I can tell you didn't actually read that, because the context there is that one of the Xmen was drastically changing the marvel timeline by traveling back and forth from the prehistoric era to the far future. None of that is Canon.

No time to Google the second but it's likely similarly out of context. Scott summers would be 60 years old by now if Xmen 1 was in the 1960s. He isn't, and the Cyclops mini series actually puts his FATHER at this age.

Your theory is wrong.

Erm, I thought it was canon because it showed what happened to
Eva Bell
when she reappeared in the timeline? They even referred the events later on in Uncanny X-Men (as recent as the last issue).

Mudcrab

You guys are killing me with the Avengers 40 hype. I thought I'd be safe just avoiding the actual discussion thread until I have the issue in hand, but the entire internet is out to get me.

Edit: Holy shit.

Erm, I thought it was canon because it showed what happened to
Eva Bell
when she reappeared in the timeline? They even referred the events later on in Uncanny X-Men (as recent as the last issue).

You misunderstand me. Uncanny Xmen Annual as a book is canon and the events occurred.

What the book makes clear though is that the act of traveling through time was randomly changing the course of events, in some cases severely, and the version of the past/present/future she encountered ceased to exist as soon as she left.

This is why
Magik as sorcerer supreme didn't exist in the new 2099, and neither did her family when she finally made it back there. Tony stark as sorcerer supreme is almost certainly no longer valid either since she left that timeline.

so even though time travel occurred in the book, nothing that you saw there is Canon anymore. It's all a side effect of that characters powers and the events aren't valid.

SRG01

You misunderstand me. Uncanny Xmen Annual as a book is canon and the events occurred.

What the book makes clear though is that the act of traveling through time was randomly changing the course of events, in some cases severely, and the version of the past/present/future she encountered ceased to exist as soon as she left.

This is why
Magik as sorcerer supreme didn't exist in the new 2099, and neither did her family when she finally made it back there. Tony stark as sorcerer supreme is almost certainly no longer valid either since she left that timeline.

so even though time travel occurred in the book, nothing that you saw there is Canon anymore. It's all a side effect of that characters powers and the events aren't valid.

Oh, I see what you mean. I wonder what this means for other books, in particular
all of the times and realities in Spider-Verse, as well as the main 616 Spiders being out of time and space

Hex

Banned
X-Men never came back through the Seige Perilous please.
All of the beings that people have thought were X-Men were imposters all this time.

mjc

I don't want to traverse into the Hickman Avengers thread since there's spoilers, but what order should I be reading those books at? I have Marvel Unlimited so I'll be a little behind.

I don't want to traverse into the Hickman Avengers thread since there's spoilers, but what order should I be reading those books at? I have Marvel Unlimited so I'll be a little behind.

Sans pretty graphic:

New Avengers #1-3
Avengers #1-4
New Avengers #4
Avengers #5
New Avengers #5-6
Avengers #6-13
New Avengers #7
Avengers #14-17
New Avengers #8
Infinity #1
Avengers #18
New Avengers #9
Infinity #2
Avengers #19
New Avengers #10
Infinity #3
Avengers #20
Infinity #4
Avengers #21
New Avengers #11
Infinity #5
Avengers #22-23
Infinity #6
New Avengers #12-15
Avengers #24-28
New Avengers #16-17
Avengers #29-34
New Avengers #18-23
Avengers #35
New Avengers #24-25
Avengers #36-37
New Avengers #26
Avengers #38
New Avengers #27
Avengers #39
New Avengers #28
Avengers #40

Dalek

Sans pretty graphic:

New Avengers #1-3
Avengers #1-4
New Avengers #4
Avengers #5
New Avengers #5-6
Avengers #6-13
New Avengers #7
Avengers #14-17
New Avengers #8
Infinity #1
Avengers #18
New Avengers #9
Infinity #2
Avengers #19
New Avengers #10
Infinity #3
Avengers #20
Infinity #4
Avengers #21
New Avengers #11
Infinity #5
Avengers #22-23
Infinity #6
New Avengers #12-15
Avengers #24-28
New Avengers #16-17
Avengers #29-34
New Avengers #18-23
Avengers #35
New Avengers #24-25
Avengers #36-37
New Avengers #26
Avengers #38
New Avengers #27
Avengers #39
New Avengers #28
Avengers #40

and here's that graphic:
OMvXvhU.jpg

duckroll

This is why most people don't read comics. Something is wrong if you need a "guide" just to read stuff in the right order. They should just compile better chronological TPBs. Reading Hickman's FF was fun when it was just straight chronological stuff from book to book, until it started alternating between Fantastic Four and Future Foundation on an issue to issue basis. Really dumb.

This is why most people don't read comics. Something is wrong if you need a "guide" just to read stuff in the right order. They should just compile better chronological TPBs. Reading Hickman's FF was fun when it was just straight chronological stuff from book to book, until it started alternating between Fantastic Four and Future Foundation on an issue to issue basis. Really dumb.
Well Marvel Unlimited have them sort in chronological order of published for events and series.
If ur doing 3 series u just have to do ur leg work as in add them to your library by pub date

Edit: unless there's something special about that graphic

True. But some collections do arrange events/runs chronologically. e.g., Hickman's FF Omnibus collects everything in a good order.

duckroll

True. But some collections do arrange events/runs chronologically. e.g., Hickman's FF Omnibus collects everything in a good order.

Yeah I heard the Omnibus have his preferred order for the entire run. Wish they did that for the normal trades too. There wasn't really a point splitting the trades into two different series honestly. Future Foundation #1-11 were basically the stand-ins for Fantastic Four #589-599 anyway. After that they should have merged both into single trades. Didn't they do that for Fraction's first FF trade?

I have two theories.

1. A reboot, to bring the books more in line with the films.

2. Killing off all of the X-men, which has been rumored for a while since Disney is basically creating characters for Fox to use. Hence why
Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch have been retconned as (probably) Inhumans.

Either way, it's going to be something to benefit upcoming Marvel studios productions. Like it or not, Marvel's primary focus isn't the comics anymore...it's the MCU.

Mudcrab

There's bit more to it than that, I mean it isn't often one dude is writing 3 books to tell one story. I think it's only really difficult following along if you're not buying the issues month to month or not reading the collected trades.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I have two theories.

2. Killing off all of the X-men, which has been rumored for a while since Disney is basically creating characters for Fox to use. Hence why

Either way, it's going to be something to benefit upcoming Marvel studios productions. Like it or not, Marvel's primary focus isn't the comics anymore...it's the MCU.

Wouldn't it be something if Marvel used this "event" to really support their movie studios and kill off everything that they don't have movie rights to anymore? What if Xmen, FF, and Spidey all went away, simply because they can't market them in theaters at all?

I'd be both impressed and surprised if they were that bold...

Mengetsu

I have two theories.

I could see this happening too. Marvel wants to make sure they can make there movies with no issues.

Would it be possible for them to kill off Peter Parker in Secret Wars and end the Ultimate Universe to have Miles be saved and brought into the 616 Uni and take over as the new Spider-Man for Marvel to use him in the movies? Or does Sony own all rights of Spider-Man even if the character changes?

duckroll

Lol. I see the ignorance of the "Marvel wants to make the comics like the movies because that might have some impact on the rights" debate is back. We're full circle now.

It'll be hilarious when the announcement actually happens and people who know nothing about what's going on in the comics start to try creating the narrative to fit their preconceptions when it reality this is just a hype campaign for Secret Wars. The "everything ends" thing is just part of the tagline for the event. :p

"The Announcement to End All Announcements"

Lindsay-Lohan-Spits-Out-Drink.gif

It will take the announcement of the superhero comic industry's mythological Grail trifecta of:

1. a total reboot/streamlining with stone-carved eternal finalisation of all their characters' origins, abilities and lore,
  2. a total, ever-forward commitment to the literary decisions of their writers no matter the consequences to the fiction and to their merchandising ability
  3. and an absolutely total commitment to never reboot and/or retcon anything ever again after this announcement (so that we could have character development that has actual lasting meaning),

to truly make it an "Announcement to End All Announcements".

DEFINITELY this too. Attaching this on my wishlist like d'Artagnan upon the Three Musketeers.

If Marvel were actually doing a reboot, or even just a line-wide renumbering, why would they be launching a bunch of new ongoing books (SHIELD, Silk, Uncanny Avengers v2, Uncanny Inhumans, etc.), so soon before Secret Wars?

There will obviously be a relaunch of some sort post-SW, but anything more would make very little sense.

Mudcrab

It will take the announcement of the superhero comic industry's mythological Grail trifecta of:

1. a total reboot/streamlining with stone-carved eternal finalisation of all their characters' origins, abilities and lore,
  2. a total, ever-forward commitment to the literary decisions of their writers no matter the consequences to the fiction and to their merchandising ability
  3. and an absolutely total commitment to never reboot and/or retcon anything ever again after this announcement (so that we could have character development that has actual lasting meaning),

to truly make it an "Announcement to End All Announcements".

They are playing of the theme of the current story/teasers leading into Secret Wars not actually claiming that there will be no more announcements ever...

They are playing of the theme of the current story/teasers leading into Secret Wars not actually claiming that there will be no more announcements ever...

Yep. Not expecting much beyond some plot and tie-in details, but I'm kind of a sucker for multiversal crossover stories so I'm still excited.

Wouldn't it be something if Marvel used this "event" to really support their movie studios and kill off everything that they don't have movie rights to anymore? What if Xmen, FF, and Spidey all went away, simply because they can't market them in theaters at all?

I'd be both impressed and surprised if they were that bold...

Well they're already cancelling FF. I don't see them doing it to Spidey since Marvel's contract with Sony only lets Sony make money off of him with the films, Disney still has control of him in all of the other bases so they're still making money off of him. Last I checked they are losing money off of the X-men, hence why they're slowly whittling down those characters (killing off Wolverine and
Deadpool
for instance.)

Would it be possible for them to kill off Peter Parker in Secret Wars and end the Ultimate Universe to have Miles be saved and brought into the 616 Uni and take over as the new Spider-Man for Marvel to use him in the movies? Or does Sony own all rights of Spider-Man even if the character changes?

I'm pretty sure Sony holds the entirety of the film distribution rights for Spidey, but they have a lot more Marvel/Disney involvement then, say, Fox, who basically has complete control over X-Men and Fantastic Four and an extremely lucrative contract with them (I think they only have to make a movie of the characters every 10 years and they hold onto the rights forever).

DiscoJon

Banned
Miles Morales and the Ultimate Universe Sucks.

Kill 'em all and let the 616 version of Miles become a "Spider-Man" somehow.

Yep, I know... I'm just airing out my wishlist again. :'(

those Marvel marketing hyperballers gonna hyperball

lazygecko

Back when I was reading localized comics in the 90's, they had all the Spider-Man stories neatly organized into one single comic. I was pretty flabbergasted upon finding out that if you wanted to follow the original versions in English you had to alternate between Amazing Spider-Man, Web of Spider-Man, Peter Parker, Spectacular Spider-Man, etc etc. What a complete mess.

duckroll

Yep. Not expecting much beyond some plot and tie-in details, but I'm kind of a sucker for multiversal crossover stories so I'm still excited.

I'm interested, but I don't think I'm going to touch the Hickman Avengers run until Secret Wars is over. I can wait a year or so. I don't really have the patience to follow comics monthly anymore. Reading trades is much easier and more satisfying.

Well they're already cancelling FF. I don't see them doing it to Spidey since Marvel's contract with Sony only lets Sony make money off of him with the films, Disney still has control of him in all of the other bases so they're still making money off of him. Last I checked they are losing money off of the X-men, hence why they're slowly whittling down those characters (killing off Wolverine and
Deadpool
for instance.)

Literally none of this is accurate.

Dunbar

I started trying to read Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers to get ready for this, and I just finished Infinity, but I'm probably going to have to stop because I have no idea what the fuck is going on. I'm still pretty new to comics so I think it was just biting off more than I could chew. Hopefully whatever this is provides more of a jumping-in point for new readers.

Drayco21

I have a class at 4:45, hopefully they get to the meat of this before then; I'd hate to have to skip a class so early into the semester.

Fjordson

It definitely turns me off most of the time from trying to keep up with current stuff.

I adore comics, but most of what I read are older completed series that come in bigger books. And it's mostly non-superhero stuff since that usually isn't tied to a larger universe.

SArcher

Banned
I started trying to read Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers to get ready for this, and I just finished Infinity, but I'm probably going to have to stop because I have no idea what the fuck is going on. I'm still pretty new to comics so I think it was just biting off more than I could chew. Hopefully whatever this is provides more of a jumping-in point for new readers.

Did you also read everything leading up to Infinity as well? In any case, I think only now a lot of the bigger questions are being answered and things that didn't make sense before are starting to. I think I'm really gona enjoy rereading the whole run after Secret Wars is done.

duckroll

Unfortunately this is just a continuation of that. Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers led into Infinity, which then led into the aftermath in Avengers/New Avengers which eventually leads into Secret Wars this year. It's all one long Hickman "masterplan".

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Unfortunately this is just a continuation of that. Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers led into Infinity, which then led into the aftermath in Avengers/New Avengers which eventually leads into Secret Wars this year. It's all one long Hickman "masterplan".
And his Fantastic Four Stuff led into his Avengers Run.

Top Bottom