• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

vpance

The world is essentially fucked unless by some miracle it stops.

Remember, 9 missed meals and humanity goes tits up. Really hope yall have guns to protect yourselves if the worst happens. Hungry people are going to come for your shit.

Maybe the national guard or whatever would start distributing rations or something. It could get bad, but probably not post apoc movie bad.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Maybe the national guard or whatever would start distributing rations or something. It could get bad, but probably not post apoc movie bad.
I think the max is half as bad as a post apoc movie. Parts of the US could look like Katrina, the rest would be puckering their butts and hoping they still have jobs.

If we shut off all traffic with china (which may happen) two things could happen.

1. Stock market dip as panicked people pull their money out.
2. american businesses would be pretty damn screwed, which would lead to job loss over the next six months.

Even some of the burger flippers in this thread might be out of a job if the paper bags mcdonalds buys from china can't be easily bought somewhere else.

Now compound all of that with the sick people missing work, and other people dodging work, and you can see how this shit all goes real bad real quick.

1. Stock market dip (probably worse than 2008, maybe as bad as great depression)
2. Supply chain completely fucked because our businesses rely on china.
3. People unable to work, or refusing to work. Business also not seeing customers as everyone hunkers down. They start laying people off to not go belly up.
4. Rent, mortages, credit cads, and other loans not being paid because people missed work, their jobs shut down, they were fired, or the voluntarily quarantined themselves to keep from getting sick.
5. Market sees 3 &4 and gets worse.
6. Supply chain further affected by 3, 4 and 5. Food isn't being distributed around like it use to (grocery stores empty).
7. People start getting hungry, looting starts, police are either sick or overworked.

While its highly unlikely I could see martial law being declared in quite a few places. Then the riots will start, and the killing begins. At about 3 you want to get the fuck out of any large town or major city. If you don't, or can't then my prayers are with you.

Everything above is moot if the virus turns out to not be a big deal though.

Last edited:
11% fatalities? Possibly 15%? Geez

The report is long (and full of terrors) but it notes that these people were all older (55+ I believe) and all had some sort of preexisting medical condition, so that is likely why the mortality rate is higher than normal.

We'll still need to wait and see, but HOPEFULLY it's not as bad as it seems (though still not good).

In other news..

US evacated a bunch of US citizens from Wuhan.. and there are here in So Cal now!!

Hopefully they can keep them quarantined and taken care of.

So that's racist now they say. Interesting. My co worker, she's from South Korea, and told me it's from the Chinese eating bats and rats. Then she goes on to tell me that "they will eat anything".

Wonder if she's racist or just telling me facts. I've never been there. I wouldn't know. She has.

It's a little bit of all of the above. China is not as "clean" a country as South Korea or (especially) Japan, and they eat pests and garbage (e.g. gutter oil), sometimes alive (as in live baby mice).

Asians also hate each, so it probably was racist, but that does not mean it is not true.

nush

I think the max is half as bad as a post apoc movie. Parts of the US could look like Katrina, the rest would be puckering their butts and hoping they still have jobs.

If we shut off all traffic with china (which may happen) two things could happen.

2. american businesses would be pretty damn screwed, which would lead to job loss over the next six months.

Even some of the burger flippers in this thread might be out of a job if the paper bags mcdonalds buys from china can't be easily bought somewhere else.

Now compound all of that with the sick people missing work, and other people dodging work, and you can see how this shit all goes real bad real quick.

1. Stock market dip (probably worse than 2008, maybe as bad as great depression)
3. People unable to work, or refusing to work. Business also not seeing customers as everyone hunkers down. They start laying people off to not go belly up.
4. Rent, mortages, credit cads, and other loans not being paid because people missed work, their jobs shut down, they were fired, or the voluntarily quarantined themselves to keep from getting sick.
6. Supply chain further affected by 3, 4 and 5. Food isn't being distributed around like it use to (grocery stores empty).
7. People start getting hungry, looting starts, police are either sick or overworked.

While its highly unlikely I could see martial law being declared in quite a few places. Then the riots will start, and the killing begins. At about 3 you want to get the fuck out of any large town or major city. If you don't, or can't then my prayers are with you.

I'd argue that most people are not equipped for a wilderness survival situation so an urban survival plan would suit them better as resources like water, power, shelter and communication would be easier to source. You would want to be moving away from densely populated areas of a city/town for sure.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I'd argue that most people are not equipped for a wilderness survival situation so an urban survival plan would suit them better as resources like water, power, shelter and communication would be easier to source. You would want to be moving away from densely populated areas of a city/town for sure.
Not talking about wilderness. More talking about people who have family in the country and/or other homes.

My family is lucky that we have 2 places we can go out in the boonies of Texas.

1. our land that is extremely secluded and has a trailer/small farming compound on it. No utilities other than power and well water though.
2. our lake house that has access to fish but is less secluded (even though getting to it by car or land is kind of out of the way). Full utilities, but city water, and can sleep 11.

If either of those are a no go, my wife's family has

1. A ranch in the middle of fucking nowhere in west Texas. No Utilities.
2. A ranch an hour from us. Full utilities including well drawn water, and can sleep 15, but on a major highway and close to a small town.

If you don't have access to places like this through your family or friends then yeah, a good urban plan is the next best thing. I don't have any advice there as it isn't what I plan for.

I would not suggest people just leave cities and try and squat on land. You will get shot if you are in states like Texas that have no trespass laws. I have no idea on the feasibility of trying to camp in state parks. Seems like a bad idea to me.

Last edited:

nush

Not talking about wilderness. More talking about people who have family in the country and/or other homes.

My family is lucky that we have 2 places we can go out in the boonies of Texas.

1. our land that is extremely secluded and has a trailer/small farming compound on it.
2. our lake house that has access to fish but is less secluded (even though getting to it by car or land is kind of out of the way).

If either of those are a no go, my wife's family has

1. A ranch in the middle of fucking nowhere in west Texas.
2. A ranch an hour from us that is on a major highway.

If you don't have access to those things through your family or friends then yeah, a good urban plan is the next best thing. I don't have any advice there as it isn't what I plan for.

I would not suggest people just leave cities and try and squat on land. You will get shot if you are in states like Texas that have no trespass laws. I have no idea on the feasibility of trying to camp in state parks. Seems like a bad idea to me.
My plan would be travelling through urban environments to a country location by bike so it requires some planning on what resources I can get when passing through. For example once you start looking as the world in a different way you notice all the unsecured external power and water points available. Also spotting stealth camping locations.

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
My plan would be travelling through urban environments to a country location by bike so it requires some planning on what resources I can get when passing through. For example once you start looking as the world in a different way you notice all the unsecured external power and water points available. Also spotting stealth camping locations.
Just be careful when moving through other people's property out in the sticks. In real SHTF situations they are unlikely to be friendly.

Hell, a couple years ago I had a dude roll up with a shotgun and ask if I belonged on my father's property. From then on I have always made a point to stop and talk to the people who own the property around us so I don't get shot. LOL.

And yeah, this is in modern day Texas.

Last edited:

vpance

I feel like government would step in once #3 begins to appear. At that point the fear would be tangible enough for them to be afraid of anymore escalation.

In my mind that means mobile quarantines and eventually national guard or military setting up shop in malls or grocery stores to distribute food, water and other necessities. People without proper protection would be advised to stay home, and curfews would be enforced to minimize looting and general criminality in places that need it.

squallheart

The report is long (and full of terrors) but it notes that these people were all older (55+ I believe) and all had some sort of preexisting medical condition, so that is likely why the mortality rate is higher than normal.

We'll still need to wait and see, but HOPEFULLY it's not as bad as it seems (though still not good).

In other news..

US evacated a bunch of US citizens from Wuhan.. and there are here in So Cal now!!

Hopefully they can keep them quarantined and taken care of.

Oh hell no quarantine them o.o it's like 30 min away from me. *buys masks for parents*

MaestroMike

Gold Member
One bat can host many different viruses without getting sick. They are the natural reservoir for the Marburg virus, and Nipah and Hendra viruses, which have caused human disease and outbreaks in Africa, Malaysia, Bangladesh and Australia. They are thought to be the natural reservoir for the Ebola virus. They also carry the rabies virus, but in that case the bats are affected by the disease.

Their tolerance of viruses, which surpasses that of other mammals, is one of their many distinctive qualities. They are the only flying mammals, they devour disease-carrying insects by the ton, and they are essential in the pollination of many fruits, like bananas, avocados and mangoes. They are also an incredibly diverse group, making up about a quarter of all mammalian species.

But their ability to coexist with viruses that can spill over to other animals, in particular humans, can have devastating consequences when we eat them, trade them in livestock markets and invade their territory.

People in many parts of the world eat bats, and sell them in live animal markets, which was the source of SARS, and possibly the latest coronavirus outbreak that began in Wuhan. They also often live in huge colonies in caves, where crowded conditions are ideal for passing viruses to one another.

Lanrutcon

I'm relying on this thread to inform me when I should knife someone publicly to establish my place in the post-epidemic world.

Damn 2020 is one hell of a ride already :messenger_fire:

If we survive this without an economical/social collapse, the fear-driven prepper industry is due for a huge growth.

Gotta look up some survivalism fundamentals. Keep us updated gaffers.

The table below shows confirmed cases of coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in China and other countries. To see a distribution map and a timeline, scroll down. There are currently 7,186 confirmed cases worldwide, including 169 fatalities.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Keep your China inspired night-scares wet dreams to yourself. We real talkin' right now. Anecdotes are the desperate man's argument.

I can give you evidence of the same trashy food prep environments in any US or Australian eatery then generalize until the end of time based on that. Or maybe you want examples of French restaurants in Paris poisoning customers with bad meat. But those would just be more anecdotes serving an agenda. Given the amount of food eaten and the number of people eating it, you'd think according to your all encompassing generalization that millions would be suffering from food poisoning on a daily basis (they don't). The food standards are very good overall because the faults were recognized and dealt with. Same reason China's construction industry is the safest in the world, despite over 50% of all global construction taking place there. In the past it wasn't, and the problems were dealt with so now workers don't have to die building high rises.
Wow, you are a genuine bootlicker.

Of course you think China has the highest health standards in the world.

Reality or clickbait?

I'd lean very fake news. At least the title. The article mostly seems OK.

As of yet we haven't seen people dying like flies.

Last edited:
It's hard to tell since there is a 7+ day lead time before people are dying from this.

I'd be happier seeing the treated and released number surpass the deaths..

vpance

Seems to be relatively close to this 47% geometric progression so far. Tomorrow's data will be interesting

p3EJZ2K_d.jpg

demigod

The house i lived in Texas in the 90s actually had bats in our chimney. Thank god we didn’t eat them.

My sister said the Chinese government is covering it up and there’s actually 90,000 cases. Not sure where she read it or how accurate it is.

The house i lived in Texas in the 90s actually had bats in our chimney. Thank god we didn’t eat them.

My sister said the Chinese government is covering it up and there’s actually 90,000 cases. Not sure where she read it or how accurate it is.
I mean there are no evidence, but I won't be surprise. I mean china have complete control over release of news, so of course they can mod the data to their liking. Further evidence was that they rejected usa offer of sending people over to china to help.

Still hovering around the 1-2% kill rate. Good. It's no SARS. I still believe many more are infected than a mere 12,000.

The trouble begins when it reaches the shores of countries that can't handle the patient influx. The infected there will be at the mercy of their own immune systems.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Still hovering around the 1-2% kill rate. Good. It's no SARS. I still believe many more are infected than a mere 12,000.

The trouble begins when it reaches the shores of countries that can't handle the patient influx. The infected there will be at the mercy of their own immune systems.

They’ve treated and released a lot less than it’s actually killed though, that’s the worrying part.

Doubly so since they can easily get reinfected making it harder to survive a second time.

It's most likely a bio weapon that got out. Thanks to globalism it's going to be a pandemic. America is a joke country. I realized that when they tried to allow the ebola virus to spread in America.

Corona Chan has a pretty incredible kill rate too.

Last edited:

GAMETA

Banned
They’ve treated and released a lot less than it’s actually killed though, that’s the worrying part.

Doubly so since they can easily get reinfected making it harder to survive a second time.

You can get reinfected with the exact same virus? No mutation needed?

How's that possible? The immune system can't track it? Or is the infection completely overwhelming?

I am quite worried about this situation. I really hope they can contain this as quickly as possible.
I was planning to go to China again next month but now I am not so sure anymore. Wuhan was also the city I stayed in in the last few years. :/

I am quite worried about this situation. I really hope they can contain this as quickly as possible.
I was planning to go to China again next month but now I am not so sure anymore. Wuhan was also the city I stayed in in the last few years. :/
I despise tourists. Stop traveling around the world bringing back deseases to your people back home. If you're going to go somewhere. Do us all a favor and stay there.

What's hard to understand? Tourists brought it to Washington, Cali, Arizona, Illinois. Those people shouldn't have been allowed back in the US.

Obviously not all tourists are the same, let's not project all the evil traits onto whichever group our ego identity despises.
Besides, I will bring my sexy germs back to Canada, not to sacred virgin America., the land of the pure and innocent :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom