• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
I'll put it like this. 1 in 1000 die of the flu. 3-4 in 100 die from Covid19.

If you were given a choice of boarding an airplane that crashes once in every 1000 flights, or roughly once every 30-40 flights, which would you board?
that is not accurate
the 3-4 in 100 is not verified; we still dont know how many are out there with mild symptoms

Jtibh

Banned
that is not accurate
the 3-4 in 100 is not verified; we still dont know how many are out there with mild symptoms
I agree on this statement.

There are very little testings done if any on people who dont care to go in or dont even realise they have it.

So infected numbers should be much higher.

Now...we have to keep in mind that those who have no symptoms STILL spread the virus to others who may develop problems.

So what to do?? Dont test and spread the virus?
Or test and go broke?

Last edited:

But don't get to excited

However, it won't be available to the human population for some months at least, as the prototype vaccine will first need to be tested on animals.

"The earliest, we think, would be the end of the year," Price said, "The latest would be eighteen months. But we think we could – depending on the approval process of the government – get something in 2020."

I am confident we have the minds to get a vaccine, but its going to be months if not more away.

Not sure which one I want more This or Breath of the Wild 2.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
that is not accurate

So what? The unknown factor is a huge concern.

Were I in charge, I'd shut everything down in the US for the next 30 days, except for critical services, and I would close all state border crossings. But I don't think Americans would react well to that.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
I agree on this statement.

There are very little testings done if any on people who dont care to go in or dont even realise they have it.

So infected numbers should be much higher.

Now...we have to keep in mind that those who have no symptoms STILL spread the virus to others who may develop problems.

So what to do?? Dont test and spread the virus?
Or test and go broke?

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight

Were I in charge, I'd shut everything down in the US for the next 30 days, except for critical services, and I would close all state border crossings. But I don't think Americans would react well to that.
see ^

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I think a big issue is there are two camps battling. One going crazy over it with panic and the other downplaying it completely. It makes the moderate and reasonable people roll their eyes and kind of opt out and not pay any attention, making things worse,

But you should always err on the side of caution, and the people totally downplaying it are ignorant too. Part of it is I think they’re in denial that it could be serious and know that any epidemic or pandemic is horrible and they don’t wanna face that reality. But there’s always that natural bravado people show in any bad circumstance to show how badass they are.

This isn’t like Ebola or anything, but from what I’ve seen it’s definitely worse than the flu and pneumonia is no joke.

Dthomp

I don’t have the time to start digging around for the answer right now, but do we know what this virus does to a healthy person? I am very much at risk so I am very concerned, but do we know what this does to a healthy person? Like does it do some damage and does that put that individual at a greater risk of having complications from a future flu or illness?

Even as I high risk individual, I got the flu for the first time in 20 years last year, and yes it sucked but at no point was I afraid of dying from it. This however worries me greatly, and really dislike the way people only look at numbers, these are people not numbers, any death should be a big deal, and any precautions we can take should be taken.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
No, Insomnia.

Also I find stupid people fascinate me. I have been stupid most of my life. Made plenty of mistakes listening to humans spin shit around in their heads thinking they got answers and shit. Fascinating stuff.

I even joined a cult when I was in Art School. fascinating shit.
I'm still pretty stupid though.

I'm not trying to insult you, this is an honest question: If you have a history of being manipulated and still to this day consider yourself stupid, then on what grounds are you able to judge the stupidity of others you observe? When people dumber than you are being stupid, you know so because you're smarter than they are. However, when people smarter than you are being smart, and you're not smart enough to understand what they're doing, their actions look stupid to you too. If you fall too far into a feedback loop, eventually you start seeing stupid people everywhere.

How can you tell that you're not in an information deficit?

So if flu is worse why fuck up my revenue?
Something makes no sence and this is the goverment.
On one hand they tell you no reason to worry and flu is worse. You should worry about the flu.
On the other hand they want to shut down all these locations and ask people to work from home or just stay home for a few weeks.

Why?
Please flu bros i need an answer to this so i can sue the goverment for damages if they force me to stay home.

A few things - there are some key differences between the current COVID19 and the flu that explain the different responses.

1. Current worldwide spread and potential for containment.

At his point in time, the flu virus is everywhere in the world. Until we find a universal vaccine, it's basically a fact of life that we have to live with. Aside from new unique and deadly strains of flu, there's isn't any containment, only management. It's everywhere.​
COVID19 is new. It's not everywhere (yet). It's still only present in isolated (for now) pockets around the world. If the virus can be contained and eliminated, it won't become a fact of life the way the flu is. Like I said in a previous post:​
Here's the thing though - if the virus can be contained and eliminated at this early stage, we won't have to accept it as the norm. There's still possibility for that.​

The strategy for management (flu) is different than the strategy for containment and elimination (COVID19)​

2. Many unknowns, lots of uncertainty, lack of data.

We have data on the flu. Lots and lots of data that goes back years. We know how it works, how it evolves, we can predict its behavior in a given population with a fair degree of accuracy.​
On the other hand, we have very little data on COVID19 at the moment, relatively speaking. We think that the mortality rate is as high as 3% ish but we don't really know for sure until we gather more data. We have an educated guess about how it contagious it is and what the incubation period is, and whether or not you can spread it asymptomatically, but we're still not sure to a high degree of certainty and specificity. We're in the dark here, and that makes people scared.​

So, given these two factors, how does that explain the aggressive response to COVID19? Given that we want to contain the virus and not have it be a permanent presence in the world, aggressive measures are needed to stamp it out for good. Similar measures were taken for other viruses like SARS back in the day, and it worked. COVID19, however, seems to be a lot more contagious and spreadable than SARS was, and given the unfortunate set of circumstances at the beginning of the outbreak, containment at the earliest of stages was fucked, and now the virus has spread to multiple countries. An even more aggressive response is then warranted.

When you compound the need for aggressive containment with the uncertainty of the virus, some places might opt for the worst case scenario and go full lockdown, just in case. They're not going full lockdown because they know the virus is a deadly humanity ending virus and they're hiding the information from you (zomg conspiracy) . They're going full lockdown because they don't know. And neither do you.

So we see this aggressive response, and many people freak out.

Because many people don't have enough information to know how to process these events rationally.

Panic begets panic. Social media and traditional media both capitalize on the panic because they make a profit out of it. And now you see the beginnings of a panic feedback loop, which then influences other people in positions of power who make decisions as to how they're going to combat the virus.

Kadayi

Banned
Even if not 3.4% it appears infection is a lot deadlier than the flu and a lot more contagious. All the 'It's just a Coff' 'Flu kills more' cunts need to get a grip on reality. This is a new disease, its virulent and it's spreading. Sure right now, the death toll might not be all that high but unchecked it has the capacity to get up to Spanish Flu levels of death toll (which was around 2% globally) and sure at this stage it seems to that it's only old people and the infirm whose lives are at most risk, however, there's every chance that Covid-19 could mutate into a deadlier strain. There's also the possibility that this might well be a disease that never goes away and just like the common cold and Flu is here to stay and will actively cull millions of people every year.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
I'm not trying to insult you, this is an honest question: If you have a history of being manipulated and still to this day consider yourself stupid, then on what grounds are you able to judge the stupidity of others you observe? When people dumber than you are being stupid, you know so because you're smarter than they are. However, when people smarter than you are being smart, and you're not smart enough to understand what they're doing, their actions look stupid to you too. If you fall too far into a feedback loop, eventually you start seeing stupid people everywhere.

A few things - there are some key differences between the current COVID19 and the flu that explain the different responses.

At his point in time, the flu virus is everywhere in the world. Until we find a universal vaccine, it's basically a fact of life that we have to live with. Aside from new unique and deadly strains of flu, there's isn't any containment, only management. It's everywhere.​
COVID19 is new. It's not everywhere (yet). It's still only present in isolated (for now) pockets around the world. If the virus can be contained and eliminated, it won't become a fact of life the way the flu is. Like I said in a previous post:​

The strategy for management (flu) is different than the strategy for containment and elimination (COVID19)​

We have data on the flu. Lots and lots of data that goes back years. We know how it works, how it evolves, we can predict its behavior in a given population with a fair degree of accuracy.​
On the other hand, we have very little data on COVID19 at the moment, relatively speaking. We think that the mortality rate is as high as 3% ish but we don't really know for sure until we gather more data. We have an educated guess about how it contagious it is and what the incubation period is, and whether or not you can spread it asymptomatically, but we're still not sure to a high degree of certainty and specificity. We're in the dark here, and that makes people scared.​

So, given these two factors, how does that explain the aggressive response to COVID19? Given that we want to contain the virus and not have it be a permanent presence in the world, aggressive measures are needed to stamp it out for good. Similar measures were taken for other viruses like SARS back in the day, and it worked. COVID19, however, seems to be a lot more contagious and spreadable than SARS was, and given the unfortunate set of circumstances at the beginning of the outbreak, containment at the earliest of stages was fucked, and now the virus has spread to multiple countries. An even more aggressive response is then warranted.

When you compound the need for aggressive containment with the uncertainty of the virus, some places might opt for the worst case scenario and go full lockdown, just in case. They're not going full lockdown because they know the virus is a deadly humanity ending virus and they're hiding the information from you (zomg conspiracy) . They're going full lockdown because they don't know. And neither do you.

Because many people don't have enough information to know how to process these events rationally.

Panic begets panic. Social media and traditional media both capitalize on the panic because they make a profit out of it. And now you see the beginnings of a panic feedback loop, which then influences other people in positions of power who make decisions as to how they're going to combat the virus.
very nicely put and agree on everything

Jtibh

Banned

I get it but the fact is we cant afford any of this currently with our economy. Only talking bout my location.
Oil is at 34 a barrel. That alone fucks us here in our oil province.
Add economic lock down to that and we have a disaster on our hand we will never recover from.

This is not china or asia where people have very little say.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I get it but the fact is we cant afford any of this currently with our economy. Only talking bout my location.
Add economic lock down to that and we have a disaster on our hand we will never recover from.

Yeah, which is why I keep saying that at this point in time, economics is potentially a bigger killer than this virus.

What do you mean about having very little say in Asia? In the West, we might think we have a lot of say, but most of the macroeconomic effects are already beyond an individual's control. We're just caught in the churn.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Even if not 3.4% it appears infection is a lot deadlier than the flu and a lot more contagious. All the 'It's just a Coff' 'Flu kills more' cunts need to get a grip on reality. This is a new disease, its virulent and it's spreading. Sure right now, the death toll might not be all that high but unchecked it has the capacity to get up to Spanish Flu levels of death toll (which was around 2% globally) and sure at this stage it seems to that it's only old people and the infirm whose lives are at most risk, however, there's every chance that Covid-19 could mutate into a deadlier strain. There's also the possibility that this might well be a disease that never goes away and just like the common cold and Flu is here to stay and will actively cull millions of people every year.
we dont know if it's deadlier than the flu..yet ...but should take every precaution
it is not a lot more contagious - that is false; it is less contagious than the flu

ummm we recovered from 2008 - we will recover from this

sinnergy

we dont know if it's deadlier than the flu..yet ...but should take every precaution
it is not a lot more contagious - that is false; it is less contagious than the flu

Actually we do, this is between 0.5 and 3 % mostly on elderly fatality rate... but they don’t shut down whole regions in the world, look around. Flu is like 0,05 %.

One person of 38 in Italy the first patient there needed almost 3 weeks with doctors 24/7 to save his live ...

Sounds like fun huh.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned

Yeah no wrong.
My provinces economy is based on oil and gas.
We are recovering for the past 3 years and shit just gets worse. Funds cut from schools and healthcare and raising small business tax is just the latest fuck you in our face.
Tens of thousand of oil and gas workers are out of jobs and whole downtown offices are empty for years.
So this on top will only further cripple albertas economy.

keraj37

Contacted PSN to add his card back to his account
Watching further "Contagion" (2011), and amazes me how many similarities I find in it with present situation
Like this - top picture from the movie and bottom from RL in China.

QOJZfpQ.png

Last edited:

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Actually we do, this is between 0.5 and 3 % mostly on elderly fatality rate... but they don’t shut down whole regions in the world, look around. Flu is like 0,05 %.

One person of 38 in Italy the first patient there needed almost 3 weeks with doctors 24/7 to save his live ...

Sounds like fun huh.
that could happen with the flu too; many stories out there of relatively healthy people dying from the flu

and the mortality rate is not known; there could be many elderly out there that have mild symptoms

But I don't think Americans would react well to that.

No shit. People are already breaking quarantine.
https://time.com/5799412/missouri-coronavirus-patient-family-break-quarantine/

Two immediate relatives of a Missouri woman who has tested positive for coronavirus on Saturday broke the quarantine her family had been placed under to attend an event on March 7th.

The Missouri patient, who is in her twenties, is the first confirmed case of coronavirus in the state. She fell ill upon returning home from a trip to Italy on March 2nd, and was tested for the virus on March 5th. The woman and her family were advised to self-quarantine while she awaited her results.

Those results came back positive on Saturday. Her father broke quarantine that same night to attend a father-daughter dance put on by his youngest daughter’s school, Villa Duchesne and Oak Hill School, at the Ritz-Carlton in Clayton, St. Louis Public Radio reports.
I'm all for individual freedoms but come on.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
that could happen with the flu too; many stories out there of relatively healthy people dying from the flu

and the mortality rate is not known; there could be many elderly out there that have mild symptoms

Keep down-playing it there Alex Jones

What's more likely, the entire global medical establishment has worked itself into a froth over nothing, or there's a legitimate concern about the global impact of this new disease? What would Occam say?

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Keep down-playing it there Alex Jones

What's more likely, the entire global medical establishment has worked itself into a froth over nothing, or there's a legitimate concern about the global impact of this new disease? What would Occam say?
being that its new, i said people should take precautions
but i've also been laying done FACTS kid .. FACTS

A person in Canada has died from coronavirus
From CNN's Paula Newton

Health officials in British Columbia have confirmed Canada’s first death in connection with coronavirus.

Woman in her 60s dies from coronavirus in California
From CNN's Cheri Mossburg

A woman in her 60s is the first coronavirus-related death in Santa Clara County.
The woman, who had been hospitalized for several weeks, is believed to have contracted the virus through community transmission, according to a statement from the county’s health department.

3 members of US Congress are now self-quarantining

Florida congressman says he came into contact with coronavirus patient
From CNN White House team

Rep. Matt Gaetz, who just returned to Washington from Florida traveling aboard Air Force One with President Trump, just tweeted that he "was informed today that he came into contact with a CPAC attendee 11 days ago who tested positive for COVID-19."

All of Italy is now on lockdown
From CNN's Valentina Di Donato in Rome

The whole country of Italy is now on lockdown, Italy's Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte announced at a news conference on Monday.
Conte said the measure was taken in order to protect citizens, especially the most fragile individuals.

that explains the tanks as a show of force

Last edited:

autoduelist

I prefer to err on the side of caution, instead of the current limbo of an economy in free fall and the virus spreading unchecked.

I understand your concern, and I definitely am concerned about corona and have prepared.

That said, when you say 'err on the side of caution', you are not taking into consideration the impact your dictate would have.

Shutting everything down... well, there goes food production. Oh, we keep that? How about something less obvious, like a factory that boxes things... including medical supplies.

Let's say we have that all sorted out, identify all supply chains, and keep everything from 'critical' down to 'mildly important' running. What about the family living month to month? How do they pay rent? Buy food? If rent is suspended, how do landlords pay mortgages? If we make food free... how? Who gets those 10 cans of spahgettios left on the shelves now that we told truckers, shelf stockers, and campbell factory employees to stay home?

I get the desire to simply 'stop'. Heck, i wish i could convince my wife to be a little more cautious about corona. But stopping the economy for a month is huge. People may even die as a tangential result, due to cut supply lines we didn't take into consideration.

I guess my point is... pandemics are dangerous in part because there is no easy answer. If we could simply just wait it out, we would. But a massive chunk of the population doesn't want to, and some literally can't.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
being that its new, i said people should take precautions
but i've also been laying done FACTS kid .. FACTS

We can examine the facts fully once it's over and we can breakdown the bill of damages. Trying to say it might not be deadlier than the flu because we don't know the exact number of infected whilst it's ongoing is retard logic. What does it achieve exactly? You're basically trying to downplay an ongoing situation. Again what's more likely the global medical establishment has collectively lost its mind or this is a viable threat? Maybe this time instead of running to quaint patronisation you'll address the question?

Italy going in full lockdown mode

It's just a Coff Bro

Bergoglio

Italy is now on lockdown. Completely lockdown. From north to south. People would only be permitted to travel for work or family emergencies.

Lanrutcon

ZA up to 7 cases. 2 confirmed in my city.

Someone at work's parents came into the country last week...from Italy. The dude came in to the office on Friday. Lots of people being tested.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
We can examine the facts fully once it's over and we can breakdown the bill of damages. Trying to say it might not be deadlier than the flu because we don't know the exact number of infected whilst it's ongoing is retard logic. What does it achieve exactly? You're basically trying to downplay an ongoing situation. Again what's more likely the global medical establishment has collectively lost its mind or this is a viable threat? Maybe this time instead of running to quaint patronisation you'll address the question?

It's just a Coff Bro
What does acting like a terrified lunatic achieve?

Why is it okay to scream "Game over Bro, Game over" and not "Lets hold our horses a bit peeps"?

BTW, neither side is right in your stupid argument. You cannot decide CFR during a pandemic. Its impossible for the exact reasons yall are arguing. All we can do is roughly guess and that rough guess is somewhere bettween .5 and 4.

Could it be 20% maybe.
Could it be .08% possibly.

We wont know for years.

Its also perfectly logical to compare this virus with the flu, but you must do so with some serious caveats.

Last edited:

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight

It's just a Coff Bro
"retard logic"? hows that for quant patronisation
It achieves exactly what leadership including the CDC and WHO are recommending; take preventive steps but do not PANIC

And as for Italy; this thing can still be contained hence the extreme measures

"Now that the coronavirus has a foothold in so many countries, the threat of a pandemic has become very real," Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, WHO director general, said at a press conference on Monday.

But Tedros said it would be the first pandemic that could be controlled.

"The bottom line is, we are not at the mercy of this virus," Tedros said.

While there is no clear threshold for declaring a pandemic, it is considered to mean the worldwide spread of a new disease.

"We're reaching that point, and when you reach 100 countries, and when you reach 100,000 cases, it is time to step back and think," said Mike Ryan, executive director of WHO's health emergencies program.

Ryan said that, unlike the flu, countries can control the outbreak. He pointed to slowing cases in China as evidence of that. Still, officials said there are concerns about how people will react to the term "pandemic."

"The word for us is not a problem," Ryan said. "The issue is what the reaction to the word will be. Will the reaction to the word be, 'Let's fight? Let's push? Let's push this disease back?' Or will the reaction to the word be, 'Let's give up.'"

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
Italy going in full lockdown mode
Not sure if i agree with this.
This is panic mode.

I understand they are on edge and overwhelmed but how will you lock everyone in their homes is beyond me. Next they gonna shoot you on spot for not following orders like in china.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
If you can find where I've advocated for that feel free to quote me. I can wait.
Your use of the word "retard" and how quickly you respond in this thread indicates you are more than a little panicked about COVID-19. I don't need to quote you. A calm rational person would not protest so much.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom