• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karma Jawa

Absolutely and the UK will be no different, but couldn't you say that about any of the other countries too?

The UK aren’t doing any tests unless someone is practically dying.

I’ll have to miss work next week as I’m still ill. Could be a bad cold or it could be covid-19. No idea because I’m not allowed to be tested.

There will be thousands here that aren’t on any list of statistics. Other countries are trying to test as many people as possible.

Cruise passengers on two ships are quarantined

Two Royal Caribbean (RCL) ships have passengers test positive for novel coronavirus while docked at international ports.
A statement from Royal Caribbean confirms two of its ships, the Silver Shadow and Silver Explorer, had guests that tested positive for coronavirus.
"Two guests aboard the Silver Shadow have been medically disembarked in Recife, Brazil, and one has tested positive for COVID-19. One guest aboard the Silver Explorer has been medically disembarked in Castro, Chile, also testing positive for the virus," the statement said.
RCL "is in close coordination with the governments and local health authorities to determine next best steps. We have asked guests on the ships to temporarily remain in their cabins in accordance with our medical isolation protocols," according to the statement.

so 3 ships, one in the Caribbean, one in Brazil, one in Chile

Last edited:

holygeesus

Banned
The UK aren’t doing any tests unless someone is practically dying.

I’ll have to miss work next week as I’m still ill. Could be a bad cold or it could be covid-19. No idea because I’m not allowed to be tested.

There will be thousands here that aren’t on any list of statistics. Other countries are trying to test as many people as possible.

I'm talking deaths really though. I'd like to see a timeline knocked up comparing dates and deaths with Italy. It blows my mind that they have certain areas locked down and still deaths are sky high.

There is?

Last edited:

grkazan12

Sorry for the dumb question again as we're still learning more about this virus everyday, but will rural areas in the U.S. fare better in this outbreak?

I'm living in a small town in Carbon County Pennsylvania, not dense at all, spread out, and a lot of hospitals in the area. I checked a local hospital in Lehighton, PA and it wasn't packed or busy at the moment.

oatmeal

Banned
Sorry for the dumb question again as we're still learning more about this virus everyday, but will rural areas in the U.S. fare better in this outbreak?

I'm living in a small town in Carbon County Pennsylvania, not dense at all, spread out, and a lot of hospitals in the area. I checked a local hospital in Lehighton, PA and it wasn't packed or busy at the moment.
Yes. Less contact with less people. Ideal place to be!

T8SC

And people wonder how this virus is traveling so quick, it's idiots like this and many in the thread who just don't care

It's already everywhere. I don't care if I catch it in France, Scotland, Norway, China or standing in my nearby supermarket buying a loaf of bread (or bog roll). The horse has bolted, locking down countries and sending the public into a panic by those drastic measures is ridiculous now, this should've been done back in February. It's now time to isolate old & vulnerable people and let everyone else just get on with life before we bankrupt more businesses and f&ck the economy up.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
It's already everywhere. I don't care if I catch it in France, Scotland, Norway, China or standing in my nearby supermarket buying a loaf of bread (or bog roll). The horse has bolted, locking down countries and sending the public into a panic by those drastic measures is ridiculous now, this should've been done back in February. It's now time to isolate old & vulnerable people and let everyone else just get on with life before we bankrupt more businesses and f&ck the economy up.
You can be an asymptomatic carrier. Your decision to go out there and "enjoy life" could literally kill old people. The point of the quarantine is to reduce the rate of spread so that hospitals don't get overflown while providing care to individuals.

It is also frustrating to me, but on this one I'd defer the decision to the experts.

sinnergy

All material stuff , replaceable , human life is not.

Lock down.

Teslerum

If isolating old people would be that easy. Yes.

It isn't, for a variety of reasons. Not the least of which is that a lot of those isolated old and vulnerable people still need help for a variety of medical and logistical reasons, which requires contact. You can't just put them in a room with food and a bed and throw the key away.

That's not how it works.

Last edited:
You know with the supposed increase in patients under 50 needing ICU in other countries, I think we'll see the true colors of these "it only kills the elderly" crowd (the new mutation of the justtheflubro's). If this thing starts causing serious health problems for young people their tune is going to change quickly from "why are shutting everything down" to "WE SHOULD HAVE SHUT THINGS DOWN MONTHS AGO".

I'm getting kind of fed up with our generation. We truly are a bunch of selfish, self-centered assholes.

T8SC

If isolating old people would be that easy. Yes.

It isn't, for a variety of reasons. Not the least of which is that a lot of those isolated old and vulnerable people still need help for a variety of medical and logistical reasons, which requires contact. You can't just put them in a room with food and a bed and throw the key away.

That's not how it works.

And blocking foreigners entering the country from France, Hungary etc is going to help? The people in their country already have the virus.

oatmeal

Banned
You know with the supposed increase in patients under 50 needing ICU in other countries, I think we'll see the true colors of these "it only kills the elderly" crowd (the new mutation of the justtheflubro's). If this thing starts causing serious health problems for young people their tune is going to change quickly from "why are shutting everything down" to "WE SHOULD HAVE SHUT THINGS DOWN MONTHS AGO".

I'm getting kind of fed up with our generation. We truly are a bunch of selfish, self-centered assholes.
If it doesn’t end up like Italy in the States, those people will claim they were right.

No matter what happens there will be division in the country, and someone will be right and act like a goddamn vegan.

cryptoadam

Banned
Im a TP hoarder GAF!

Was just getting groceries and there was a pack of 24 at the cash so I bought it. Still had 6 rolls left from a 12 pack I probably bought like a month ago. I tend to focus my shits at work and mooch off their free TP.

Store wasn't to bad just out of meats and pasta. But there were plenty of grapefuits.

We've had a lot of information about washing our hands, what the death toll is and how many countries are on lockdown.

Does anyone know what to expect if they get Corona? Is it shitting, pissing and being sick? Headache and feeling like a flu? What exactly is it? What are the people who have had it, saying?

I haven't seen any interview with people who have had it, documenting how they felt?

Chaplain

We've had a lot of information about washing our hands, what the death toll is and how many countries are on lockdown.

Does anyone know what to expect if they get Corona? Is it shitting, pissing and being sick? Headache and feeling like a flu? What exactly is it? What are the people who have had it, saying?

I haven't seen any interview with people who have had it, documenting how they felt?

You feel like you have a cold or the flu if you have mild symptoms. Breathing problems come with the severe version.

few more number bumps since last few hours

rvsgcQm.png

mostly France changed the most from last screenshot

Ornlu

Banned
We need to find out whats going on in Germany.

Almost 6K cases and 11 deaths. Spain only has 2K more cases but 20 times the deaths. Italy has 4 times as many cases but 100 times the deaths.

What is Germany doing to keep their numbers so low ???

My guess? A mix of Italy being 100% old people (not like Germans trend young either though), old people dying of it a lot more, Germans probably test more, and there being a lot of unreported people with it in Italy. Probably a difference in the level of care as well.

Kadayi

Banned

UK Case increases from 1140 to 1372 (+232) so a drop-down from the +42% on Friday/Saturday figures to around +20% gain which is some good news, though we need to see what Mondays like to determine what impact the weekend had overall. A steady rise would be in the region of +270 (taking us to around 1650) the nightmare scenario would be going above 2000.

Ventured into my City Centre on Saturday for a final meet up with friends before the eventual government isolation/quaratine and was kind of surprised that there were a lot of people out and about still, so I wouldn't be shocked if there's a big step up in cases.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
We need to find out whats going on in Germany.

Almost 6K cases and 11 deaths. Spain only has 2K more cases but 20 times the deaths. Italy has 4 times as many cases but 100 times the deaths.

What is Germany doing to keep their numbers so low ???

Testing more people I suspect.

holygeesus

Banned
The Guardian have seen a report that states the government expects the crisis to continue for a full year and infect 80% of the population. Another explanation for the UK government's tactics when it comes to tackling this, rightly or wrongly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom