• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtibh

Banned
Yeah, I agree. There is definitely that sense of “oh it'll blow over” among people here. I even a radio presenter on the British mainstream radio station LBC suggest that people are overreacting. I've seen a few more masks on the bus over the past few days (saw a Chinese couple both wearing masks yesterday), but still haven't seen any significant ramping up of hand washing. Perhaps that will change if there is a big increase in deaths.
Washing hands is NUMBER 1. I see a lot of people even at the gym taking a shit or piss and just walk back out without washing their hands. Then they use those dick and ass tainted hands to touch all equipments.
People have zero hygiene

betrayal

Banned
Hopefully they find something soon. I don’t think weather will help since it has already taken off in all seasons around the world.

The flu is also present everywhere, even in warm countries. There it is even mostly all year round, but of course with fewer cases.

The corona virus, just like flu viruses, has a fat layer (lipids) around it, which is influenced by higher temperatures, so that one can expect that the infection rates will fall with rising temperatures. Just like with a flu. For further explanation you can just google it.

There is currently no country with higher temperatures and higher humidity where the virus has been able to spread in a similar way as in the countries of the northern hemisphere. Just take a look at the world maps of the spread of the virus, which have been posted here several times, and you will notice something.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Yeah, I agree. There is definitely that sense of “oh it'll blow over” among people here. I even a radio presenter on the British mainstream radio station LBC suggest that people are overreacting. I've seen a few more masks on the bus over the past few days (saw a Chinese couple both wearing masks yesterday), but still haven't seen any significant ramping up of hand washing. Perhaps that will change if there is a big increase in deaths.

I think more pertinently people need to see some deaths in their demographics. There's this assumption doing the rounds that it's only impacting old people exclusively, but although it's fair to say they're the most vulnerable, they're not the only victims. A few high profile celeb deaths might galvanise people, but at this juncture, I'm under no illusions that the virus is going to be contained in the UK. We are just behind the curve versus Italy and France is all.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Is the person posting this a credible source? For all we know that is two buddies fuckin around and uploading the vid.
Seriously.
It’s amazing how much stupid shit gets posted in this thread. I wonder how many re tweets I would get if I posted a video of a bum coughing after eating his sandwich too fast here in downtown Vancouver with the caption “Coronavirus unleashed in Vancouver”.

betrayal

Banned
1989 new cases yesterday.
1758 new cases today.

That's a downward trend. And it is a good one.

As far as I am concerned, it can continue like this, even if some countries are only at the beginning of the outbreak.
The statistics of the new cases are unfortunately only a look back into the past and show how many got infected about 1-2 weeks ago. In 2 weeks we will know how many were infected today. :messenger_medmask:

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Fucking nothing in Mexico or Canada. STOP GOING ON CRUISES YOU DUMBASSES!

1989 new cases yesterday.
1758 new cases today.

That's a downward trend. And it is a good one.

As far as I am concerned, it can continue like this, even if some countries are only at the beginning of the outbreak.
The statistics of the new cases are unfortunately only a look back into the past and show how many got infected about 1-2 weeks ago. In 2 weeks we will know how many were infected today. :messenger_medmask:

Just to be clear, I don't see a downward trend at all even the WHO says China has increased the last 2 days. What numbers are those?

This is before today's South Korea and China updates in the next hour
MAINLAND CHINACasesDeathsNotesLinks
Hubei province
(includes Wuhan)
66,9072,7617,107 seriousSource
Guangdong province1,349717 serious, 20 criticalSource
Henan province1,272227 serious, 4 criticalSource
Zhejiang province1,20518 serious, 8 criticalSource
Hunan province1,018418 seriousSource
Beijing4138Source
Shanghai33739 seriousSource
Other regions7,32364100+ seriousSource
TOTAL79,8242,8707,365 serious
41,825 recovered
851 suspected

OTHER PLACESCasesDeathsNotesLinks
South Korea3,7362110 critical, 24 recoveredSource
Italy1,69434140 serious, 83 recovered Source
Diamond Princess705636 serious, 10 recoveredSource
Iran97854175 recoveredSource
Japan256*619 serious, 32 recoveredSource
Singapore10607 critical, 74 recoveredSource
Hong Kong10024 critical, 2 serious, 36 recoveredSource
Germany13002 critical, 16 recoveredSource
United States7512 serious, 2 critical, 9 recoveredSource
France13029 serious, 12 recoveredSource
Spain8405 critical, 2 recoveredSource
Kuwait460Source
Thailand4211 serious, 30 recoveredSource
Taiwan4015 recoveredSource
Bahrain470Source
Malaysia29017 recoveredSource
Australia29115 recoveredSource
United Kingdom3608 recoveredSource
UAE2102 serious, 5 recoveredSource
Vietnam16016 recoveredSource
Canada2403 recoveredSource
Sweden140Source
Macau1006 recoveredSource
Iraq190Source
Israel100Source
Oman601 recoveredSource
Philippines312 recoveredSource
India303 recoveredSource
Finland601 recoveredSource
Russia202 recoveredSource
Nepal101 recoveredSource
Cambodia101 recoveredSource
Sri Lanka101 recoveredSource
Belgium201 recoveredSource
Egypt201 recoveredSource
Lebanon100Source
Afghanistan10Source
Austria140Source
Croatia70Source
Switzerland240Source
Algeria10Source
Brazil20Source
Greece70Source
Pakistan40Source
North Macedonia10Source
Georgia30Source
Norway190Source
Romania30Source
Denmark40Source
Estonia10Source
Netherlands1001 criticalSource
San Marino101 seriousSource
Nigeria10Source
Lithuania10Source
New Zealand10Source
Belarus10Source
Mexico50Source
Azerbaijan30Source
Iceland30Source
Monaco10Source
Qatar30Source
Ecuador601 criticalSource
Luxembourg10Source
Ireland10Source
Czech Republic30Source
Dominican Republic10Source
Armenia10Source
TOTAL8,548130244 serious/critical

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Honestly, this whole thing is so dangerous that... I'd have the president (US) take even more drastic actions immediately. I'd rather us try to live with a total ban on all flight (even within our borders) for one month, and complete shutting of both physical borders--than face the alternative that is slowly approaching. Locking us all down for a while isn't half as bad as filling hospitals beyond capacity when this takes off.

Jtibh

Banned
This is before today's South Korea and China updates in the next hour
MAINLAND CHINACasesDeathsNotesLinks
Hubei province
(includes Wuhan)
66,9072,7617,107 seriousSource
Guangdong province1,349717 serious, 20 criticalSource
Henan province1,272227 serious, 4 criticalSource
Zhejiang province1,20518 serious, 8 criticalSource
Hunan province1,018418 seriousSource
Beijing4138Source
Shanghai33739 seriousSource
Other regions7,32364100+ seriousSource
TOTAL79,8242,8707,365 serious
41,825 recovered
851 suspected

OTHER PLACESCasesDeathsNotesLinks
South Korea3,7362110 critical, 24 recoveredSource
Italy1,69434140 serious, 83 recoveredSource
Diamond Princess705636 serious, 10 recoveredSource
Iran97854175 recoveredSource
Japan256*619 serious, 32 recoveredSource
Singapore10607 critical, 74 recoveredSource
Hong Kong10024 critical, 2 serious, 36 recoveredSource
Germany13002 critical, 16 recoveredSource
United States7512 serious, 2 critical, 9 recoveredSource
France13029 serious, 12 recoveredSource
Spain8405 critical, 2 recoveredSource
Kuwait460Source
Thailand4211 serious, 30 recoveredSource
Taiwan4015 recoveredSource
Bahrain470Source
Malaysia29017 recoveredSource
Australia29115 recoveredSource
United Kingdom3608 recoveredSource
UAE2102 serious, 5 recoveredSource
Vietnam16016 recoveredSource
Canada2403 recoveredSource
Sweden140Source
Macau1006 recoveredSource
Iraq190Source
Israel100Source
Oman601 recoveredSource
Philippines312 recoveredSource
India303 recoveredSource
Finland601 recoveredSource
Russia202 recoveredSource
Nepal101 recoveredSource
Cambodia101 recoveredSource
Sri Lanka101 recoveredSource
Belgium201 recoveredSource
Egypt201 recoveredSource
Lebanon100Source
Afghanistan10Source
Austria140Source
Croatia70Source
Switzerland240Source
Algeria10Source
Brazil20Source
Greece70Source
Pakistan40Source
North Macedonia10Source
Georgia30Source
Norway190Source
Romania30Source
Denmark40Source
Estonia10Source
Netherlands1001 criticalSource
San Marino101 seriousSource
Nigeria10Source
Lithuania10Source
New Zealand10Source
Belarus10Source
Mexico50Source
Azerbaijan30Source
Iceland30Source
Monaco10Source
Qatar30Source
Ecuador601 criticalSource
Luxembourg10Source
Ireland10Source
Czech Republic30Source
Dominican Republic10Source
Armenia10Source
TOTAL8,548130244 serious/critical
Didnt know the olympics already started

SpartanN92

Banned
Well I’ve been stocking up on supplies all week.
*Masks
*Gloves
*Lots of canned food, at least 350 cans+ (especially stuff that babies can eat like carrots and peas, I have a 6 month old)
*Lots of Ramen Noodles
*100lbs of rice
*100 Gallons of bottled water
*Lysol/Clorox wipes/GermX
*Toilet paper
*Ammo (500 rounds of 9 mil, 200 rounds of .380, 500 rounds of .22, 500 rounds of .223, 100 12ga misc)
*Matches/Candles
*Diapers
*Baby wipes
*Pain relievers/Medical alcohol

I don’t really think the shit will hit the fan but I’m not taking that risk on my wife and child’s life. I live in rural Kentucky, so we can isolate away from people if we have to.

Am I missing anything?

Last edited:

Bobnob

Just found this on posted on Facebook. Not sure if it's a real thing, but would be a interesting prediction if true.

Bobnob

Just found this on posted on Facebook. Not sure if it's a real thing, but would be a interesting prediction if true.

Bobnob

sjpag5u.jpg

sjpag5u.jpg

"The patient is a woman in her late 30s, contracted the virus while traveling abroad in Iran, and is currently isolated in her home, Cuomo said.

“The patient has respiratory symptoms, but is not in serious condition and has been in a controlled situation since arriving to New York,” the statement reads."

well at least they knew where she got infected

donfonzie

Meanwhile here in SE Asia, due to the first 4 cases being reported (travelled from neighbouring Iran), the govt. has closed borders, and halted business incl. flights with Iran.

So now businessmen have started using the sea to smuggle and export fruit and vegetables 😑. Have they lost all humanity?

It feels like they actually want their virus to spread, risking millions of lives for the monetary gains...heartless.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/216695...rters-turn-sea-route-trade-iran-halted/?amp=1

Influenza, RSV, metapneumovirus, adenovirus, and rhinovirus are all shed in stool.

Just the Flu Bro - is this thread's catch phrase I am not discounting the Science that connects viral diseases
( I have Sickle Cell I can't afford to be ignorant on that )

I've been posting Dr. Campbell Medical Science videos for over a month now he has been talking about getting this virus through stool and urine for weeks even if I was ignorant of that fact.

It really should not be news to us here if anyone watched the videos I linked but most don't like watching boring Science videos just like to react to headlines

EDIT: Speak of the devil

Last edited:

Hotspurr

Banned
I'm fairly certain certain countries will be willing to suppress information on cases getting out to avoid it affecting their economy if air travel was going to be suspended. Certain global leaders are trash, like in China for example (heck, our own president prostitutes his position for opposition dirt). This won't just be a virus, but it will become a nasty political and economical clusterfuck. The media loves spreading hysteria because it gets them clicks, too. I hope we will see some sort of spirit of sharing and taking care of one another, for example, if you managed to buy a whole lot of hand sanitizer, give it to some of your co-workers if there are shortages (which there already are). Sadly I anticipate many selfish acts, as we have already seen in Ukraine, and more recently with people burning quarantine locations. The selfish gene is alive and well sadly, but best to remain optimistic.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Honestly, this whole thing is so dangerous that... I'd have the president (US) take even more drastic actions immediately. I'd rather us try to live with a total ban on all flight (even within our borders) for one month, and complete shutting of both physical borders--than face the alternative that is slowly approaching. Locking us all down for a while isn't half as bad as filling hospitals beyond capacity when this takes off.

Would be pointless to just ban air travel. Need to stop trucking and well, all interregional travel as well.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
*Masks
*Gloves
*Lots of canned food, at least 350 cans+ (especially stuff that babies can eat like carrots and peas, I have a 6 month old)
*Lots of Ramen Noodles
*100lbs of rice
*Toilet paper
*Ammo (500 rounds of 9 mil, 200 rounds of .380, 500 rounds of .22, 500 rounds of .223, 100 12ga misc)
*Matches/Candles
*Diapers
*Baby wipes

I don’t really think the shit will hit the fan but I’m not taking that risk on my wife and child’s life. I live in rural Kentucky, so we can isolate away from people if we have to.

Am I missing anything?
What for exactly?

They only just now got "permission" to test lol

exactly, this whole thing is RIGGED
If we were testing like South Korea who line up in drive-thru set ups to be tested

here is my state for example

As the number of coronavirus cases continues to grow in the United States, the CT Department of Public Health Laboratory has been approved by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to test for the virus locally.

Currently, there are only 12 states that have been approved by the CDC for testing.

Kits with the coronavirus reagent arrived in the state Friday, which will allow for quicker turnaround time for testing because doctors won’t have to send the samples to the CDC.

“Before, [it was] between a few days and a week before the test results come back,” said Jafar Razeq, CT Department of Public Health Laboratory Director. “Now, we should be able to turn the results within 24 hours of the specimen arrival.”

By processing the samples in hours and not days, it will allow health officials to stay ahead, but there are a limited number of test kits, so patients will be screened by doctors before a sample is sent to the lab.

The lab will then be able to request more kits when it runs low.

limited labs approved, limited kits, also only if your doctor refers you

Jtibh

Banned
*Masks
*Gloves
*Lots of Ramen Noodles
*100lbs of rice
*Toilet paper
*Matches/Candles
*Diapers
*Baby wipes

Am I missing anything?
Batteries

Gas

Diesel

Propane

Jtibh

Banned
Well Mike Pence was right about the expected deaths

he also said we should not worry about it

All i can say better storm the stores now than tomorrow.
I just came back from sobeys. Everyone was buying there little steaks and salads and then there is me with a cart full of rice, cans, every color and shape of lysol etc.
Yeah i got the funny looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom