• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draft

Everything in ME2 is better than ME1 except:

The music. I just don't dig the orchestral pieces as much as the synth pieces. That's not to say the music is bad, I quite like some of the tracks, but I feel like ME2 has less of a musical identity than ME1.

The planet scanning. Holy shit :lol

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I've played it for about an hour now. My first impression is this:

Mass Effect 1 is the TV-series.
Mass Effect 2 is the feature motion picture.

Reminds me alot of the Star Trek conversions from series to film actually.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I don't think any of these gripes are minor, they're having a pretty big effect on the pacing and general atmosphere of Mass Effect for me. I know it was only one game, but after the first, I had a pretty clear notion of what I expected a Mass Effect game to be. I was expecting to feel like space was big, dangerous, and mysterious.

Now, we're in the Terminus systems, which sounded unstable compared to Citadel space, and like a Wild West, but it seems to be better charted and more tame than the governed half of the galaxy. And very much explored. A known quantity, even though I've never been there. So, for me at least, a lot of the mystery in the Milky Way just isn't there right now. I'm really, really missing the Mako and scounging around for Codex entries in computer terminals. Scanning is all fine and good, and I actually enjoy it, for some reason, but a mixture of the short mission, Mako, and scanning would be nice for the third installment. I need to land on a planet and see space from their atmosphere. That's what Mass Effect was to me. Seeing the diversity possible in the universe. Atmospheres with poisonous plant life, or being on a planet while the moon was reaching a low orbit. Or a planet under constant bombardment from meteor showers. Stuff like that. It really helped me slow down my pace and take things in, which I haven't been doing so far in ME2, because...well, I've only seen Jacob's FarCry/Crysis planet, and heavily colonized worlds.

I'm still not near being finished, of course, but even if things change, I've been through a good 20 hours without feeling incredibly small in comparison to the universe, like I did in Mass Effect. Space seems a homelier place now.

hiryu

This might be one of the best games I've ever played. I played it for 12 hours straight yesterday. I stood up and my hips were killing me from sitting all day.

OMG Aero

micromagic said:
Amazon UK just shipped my £29.99 copy, who knows how long it will take to get here though. Wouldn't usually order through Amazon but the price was too good to pass up. Finished ME1 last night so I'm ready and waiting.
Hnnnnnnnnng Amazon are still listing my order as having a delivery estimate of Feb 1st.

Loving everything I've seen in the first 6 hours of playtime. I hesitantly chose the Sentinel class and was really regretting it at first. Now that I've gotten the hang of it, I'm quite happy with my choice.

Any other Sentinels out there?

hulot

Nice write up.

dark10x said:
I spent a while playing it last night, and I'm enjoying it, but I feel that Bioware went way too far in reigning everything in. There were many aspects of the original that I enjoyed which are now missing. It seems as if they didn't even attempt to fix the issues with the original, rather, they simply cut everything out. The game looks better, plays better, and runs smoother...but a lot of the details I loved about the original are MIA.

1) I feel as if the game world has been sliced up into compartments for convenience sake at the expense of atmosphere and scale. The citadel, once a massive and interesting environment, has been completely compartmentalized. I was expecting them to expand upon what they they had already created and deliver an even bigger environment. After talking to Anderson for the first time, I could not believe it when I found out that I could no longer leave that meeting room and explore the presidium. I also feel as if many of the new areas are smaller in scale in order to improve performance. Surely they could have delivered a larger environment while maintaining the fast travel stations for the less patient among us.

The game feels this way but if you look at it, it really isn't. For example, Omega/Ilium is probably just a bit larger, each, than Citadel Wards and C-Sec areas combined with less filler/more npcs. Presidium was large but mostly lots of walking and few areas of interest and interaction. ME1: go to Chora's Den, go see Fist and have a shootout in that small area. ME2: go find Archangel, teleport to a different area that is far more larger and much more tactically interesting. Sure, 'immersion' is lost by loading (even then, most of these have cutscene transitions) but what's there is definitely an improvement over the lackluster original.

2) The Mako is another loss for me. Yes, it had issues, but it also had potential and could have been improved. Mixing it up between Mako and on-foot combat created a much greater sense of scale on the planets while delivering more variety in gameplay. I'm sure some associate it with the cookie cutter planets of the original, but I'm thinking more of its usage during actual story missions. Rather than attempting to improve it, they cut it completely. The ice station in the original game, for instance, felt significantly more remote as a result of the Mako sections beforehand.

I loved the Mako and find planet scanning less resolving the problem and more taking out everything fun about Mako sections and leaving the boring collectathon aspect in. Mako was great for the vehicle/foot action and gorgeous vistas. What people hated were the 90 degree mountains, RC car handling and Simon Says collecting. Planet scanning is nothing but a variant of the latter.

3) Load screens galore. You know, the elevators WERE a bit too long, but let's not pretend we didn't know what was going on in the background. They were using them to hide loading screens and keep the player in the game world. What did they do here? They break the immersion and replaced those elevators with load screens. Talk about regressing. The loading screens aren't all that much shorter than the elevator rides and they pull you out of the world. The elevators definitely helped the world feel more cohesive despite their length. Prior to Mass 1, I was concerned about how they would present the environment due to the shortcomings of KOTOR (which had load screens around every corner). With the first game, it was clear that immersion was something they were striving for. With Mass 2, however, I feel as if they are returning to their old ways and that's disappointing.

The only elevator I've ever had a problem with was the Normandy one. That one didn't make any sense. The rest, especially all of Presidium were optional since there was always rapid transit with shorter load times, fit into the context of the game world. Agreed.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Livanh said:
i would sign all these points. finally i see some voices here who dont just hype me 2.

Finally? People had worries identical to these before the game was even released. Its nothing new.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Does anyone have a list of the unique skills you can obtain by doing loyalty quests? I haven't played the game yet, but I'm wondering what skillset I should use to supplement my Vanguard. I would imagine something like Barrier or a Barrier equivalent would be ideal.

Is there something like that available? Or a better choice perhaps?

orion434

GuardianE said:
Does anyone have a list of the unique skills you can obtain by doing loyalty quests? I haven't played the game yet, but I'm wondering what skillset I should use to supplement my Vanguard. I would imagine something like Barrier or a Barrier equivalent would be ideal.

Is there something like that available? Or a better choice perhaps?

Here's a list:

Armor-Piercing Ammo
Barrier
Dominate
Energy Drain
Fortification
Geth Shield Boost
Neral Shock
Reave
Shredder Ammo
Slam
Warp Ammo

DKehoe

OMG Aero said:
Hnnnnnnnnng Amazon are still listing my order as having a delivery estimate of Feb 1st.
Same, I'm hoping thats just them giving themselves time incase anything delays it. Had better arrive tomorrow.

geinou

Neo Member
OMG Aero said:

Same here, and I didn't get the 29.99 Deal. Well, at least they are telling me, that they are preparing the dispatch. So maybe it will be dispatched today. Fingers are crossed.

Verilligo

Barrier is, indeed, available, though from what I've gathered you have to first unlock the skill on
Jacob
and then do a quest to gain access to squad loyalty abilities. Or maybe you can immediately do the research and give it to yourself once it's unlocked, I'm not sure, I haven't managed to do any loyalty sidequests yet. My Soldier is starting to feel the need for a little extra defense, though.

On the flipside, I don't think Barrier will be the absolute best ability for defensive purposes.
Grunt's
loyalty ability looks more powerful and better in line with a Soldier's needs. I haven't compared the two side-by-side yet, though.

quaere

Those that don't like the loss of RPG features - I personally don't mind too much, but this is a perfectly valid complaint.

Everyone else, you sure are using some rose tinted glasses. For one, the Citadel was never that big to begin with, and it had really sparse content for what was supposedly a huge city. There weren't even any other non combat destinations other than the small zone on Noveria.

There is very clearly far more developed content in ME2 than ME1 (no, randomly generated planet surfaces don't count) - maybe almost 2x as much. I really have no idea how anyone could have expected a wide open detailed space city, for example, unless they somehow came to expect a 4x increase - and I don't see how that is in any sense realistic.

moojito

Unknown Soldier said:
I had 10 people on my Friends list playing ME2 last night, and all of them were Soldiers or Vanguards. I was the only Infiltrator.

Slo-mo sniper rifle is pure joy. Shooting heads has never been so satisfying. I remember shooting heads in Max Payne in slo-mo was pretty good, but this game one-ups Max Payne with a sniper rifle that shoots 3 rounds per trigger pull and when I'm cloaked the enemies all drop aggro and shoot at my team instead of me and I have all the time in the world to line up a face right in the center of my crosshair. That, my friends, is AWESOME. :lol

I wasn't sure whether or not I should pick this up straight away til I read this!

DKehoe

geinou said:
Same here, and I didn't get the 29.99 Deal. Well, at least they are telling me, that they are preparing the dispatch. So maybe it will be dispatched today. Fingers are crossed.
Have you gotten your code for the Inferno armour sent out yet? Amazon said it would be emailed out the day before the release of the game.

Yeah so far I'm not pleased with the environments, they're just straightforward shooting ranges and I really miss the expansive and atmospheric settings of the first game. Other than that it's fantastic and I'm hoping for at least a few places that are as huge and in-depth as say Noveria or Virmire but I'm starting to lose a bit of that hope. Also, I'm finding that it just doesn't simply matter who my other teammates are. I can't really do anything with them and there is a severe lack of customization going on, so I haven't really cared who's with me or who isn't.

Jacob and Grunt are completely throw-away characters as far as I'm concerned and I just have no interest in them, but the rest (Jack, Miranda, Mordin etc) are really cool and I enjoy their company. I'm also finding that there's not really all that much storytelling going on. In the first game I loved having to track Saren around while seeing all the damage that he was both directly and indirectly causing on the galaxy. So far it's just been going around and finding people without much plot progression, almost as if they don't really have any story to tell until you get to the endgame.

Of course, I think I still have a ways to go and some of these issues could be cleared up, with some better environments to explore and some more narrative going on. So far I'd give it a 9, it's a great sequel that improves a lot of things but I agree with those that are in misery that some of the better aspects from the first game are gone. It's definitely way more streamlined and I'm not a huge fan of that. I was expecting it to be my personal game of the year, but at the moment I'm thinking it's just going to be a fair candidate with some of the other heavy hitters on the way. It isn't leaving anything in the dust so far, and I expected that.

This isn't a bitchfest, just a matter of putting things into perspective. Otherwise it's excellent. Some of the new characters are great, the graphics and gameplay are improved, the music rocks, the writing and voice acting is excellent as usual and I like probing for elements. I just hope the story gets more interesting and involving from here because so far it's very lacking in the adventurous suspense of the original.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
What are the ship upgrades for? Do they do anything? I haven't seen ship battles so I don't know why I'm upgrading my armor.

geinou

Neo Member
DKehoe said:
Have you gotten your code for the Inferno armour sent out yet? Amazon said it would be emailed out the day before the release of the game.

No code either. But I just preordered the game last weekend. I totally forgot, that I hadn't preordered it. So, maybe the code campaign was over at this point.

Solo

brandonh83 said:
Other than that it's fantastic and I'm hoping for at least a few places that are as huge and in-depth as say Noveria or Virmire

Ive already said this in response to dark10x, but Omega/Ilium feels larger than Noveria or the Citadel. I could be wrong though.

Solo said:
Ive already said this in response to dark10x, but Omega/Ilium feels larger than Noveria or the Citadel. I could be wrong though.

Omega is great, I agree. It's by far the best place so far. Haven't been to Ilium yet but based on the praise it's getting it should please me. I just miss those big, brancing, eerie facilities on Noveria and Feros.

Shinjitsu

Banned
rayner said:
Here's a list:

Armor-Piercing Ammo
Barrier
Dominate
Energy Drain
Fortification
Geth Shield Boost
Neral Shock
Reave
Shredder Ammo
Slam
Warp Ammo

I think you can train Inferno Grenade as well, I haven't actually checked.

brandonh83 said:
Omega is great, I agree. It's by far the best place so far. Haven't been to Ilium yet but based on the praise it's getting it should please me. I just miss those big, brancing, eerie facilities on Noveria and Feros.

Have to second the Omega love. Really cool vibe. First time walking into Afterlife I was like :D. Also really cool running into some blast from the past ME1 characters like
Fist and Helena Blake.

MMaRsu

Yeah Omega > all so far. And Illium is boring.

Sir Garbageman said:
Have to second the Omega love. Really cool vibe. First time walking into Afterlife I was like :D. Also really cool running into some blast from the past ME1 characters like
Fist and Helena Blake.

You let
Fist
live? The fuck.

firehawk12 said:
The main reason I went with Mordin was because of the 25% extra tech damage you can upgrade before you start the mission. That just seemed too good to pass up.

This is a good though -- I overlook mordin -- he's very useful against armored enemies... but I wanted someone who had the ability to take chunks out of barrier -- and I don't think garrus or mordin can do that, so miranda got pulled in -- plus I've already boosted SMGs a bit, so she's not bad for regular damage...

Now I guess if I have problems with that section again, I'll just have to swap miranda or garrus out for mordin.

Livanh

brandonh83 said:
. So far it's just been going around and finding people without much plot progression, almost as if they don't really have any story to tell until you get to the endgame.

me2 is a sims game in space ;) pet your companion until they like you, next one.
there are great characters for sure but somehow they are not put to any use.

there is no endgame, there is no real plot. everything is clear from the get go.
until the last mission i had at least some hope too..

Holy shit, just got the game a day ahead of the EU release. Plus a CPU heatsink which i've just installed - pure silence in the room, only ME2 gets my attention now.

hermit7 said:
Husks are no problem at all in this game. Shockwave annihilates them. Now that I think about it Shockwave is my go too power due to it's overall effectiveness.

Yeah I was wondering why no one was mentioning shockwave, fully upgraded it can basically be spammed to clear rooms.

Y2Kev said:
What are the ship upgrades for? Do they do anything? I haven't seen ship battles so I don't know why I'm upgrading my armor.

They factor in toward the end, I believe.

Not sure what happens, but you definitely hear them mentioned when you're in the scenes after you jump the omega 4 relay. if improved shields and armor really left me with "30%" i'm not sure what would've happened if i didn't have those upgrades.

zero margin said:
Yeah I was wondering why no one was mentioning shockwave, fully upgraded it can basically be spammed to clear rooms.

Which shockwave did you upgrade to? Concentrated or area?
I'm also assuming that you must need to command jack and manually kick it off? She wasn't doing jack :)lol) when I had her in my party.

Dries said:
I dunno, it seems that a lot of people are nitpicking on the small issues the game (may) have. I mean.. just enjoy the game as a whole man. The total experience outrules al those minor complaints, yes? It just seems al so negative to me :lol

But maybe for some people these things aren't nitpicks. Maybe they're legitimate problems that detracted from the experience. Not everybody loves everything equally, you know?

corrosivefrost said:
Which shockwave did you upgrade to? Concentrated or area?
I'm also assuming that you must need to command jack and manually kick it off? She wasn't doing jack :)lol) when I had her in my party.

Concentrated and I'm playing vanguard so it's one of the abilities, I didn't realize Jack also used it (vanguard also obviously I guess) but then again outside of her loyalty mission she's not been in my party. :D

Solo

Red Blaster said:
Can you put helmets on your allies? It looks ridiculous that Shepard is the only guy wearing one.

You could in the first game. Havent actually tried it yet in this one.

Going straight from finishing one last Mass Effect playthrough to boot up a sequel was truly the way to go. What do you mean it's been two years?? :D

kamspy

Is there a mod or hotfix that will let me independently bind Run, Use and Cover?

I hate having them all tied to one key.

I have a keyboard, there's plenty of real estate there. Give me ME1 key binding back please.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Red Blaster said:
Can you put helmets on your allies? It looks ridiculous that Shepard is the only guy wearing one.

You can't control your squad's attire. Besides the alternate costumes, which don't have any defensive benefits.

The Lamonster said:
Liara's ass looks good in the intro too

as does Kaiden's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom