• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Sebulon3k said:
I took the assault rifle as well on my Adept, unstoppable I became (at least on veteran). I didn't mean the class as whole but just how the special skills seem so useless compared to the general ones. I think the only real comparisons would be Pull vs Singularity, Combat Drone vs AI Hacking. Both just seem like a waste of points.

Skills like Slam just made me laugh because I couldn't find a use for the points compared to other things in Miranda's tree. It's like the abilities were put in there because they'd look cool when rendered.
Yeah, I don't think I'm going to have a choice. I'm stuck switching between the pistol, smg, and shotgun - and apparently I'm essentially forced into bringing out the heavy weapons for anyone 3 layers deep.

Slam isn't bad. It does a bunch of things at once. Removes dude from cover, floats their head just perfect for headshots, warp, etc. Then pins them to the ground for a while allowing you to work around them.

I wish I could understand some of the other skills a bit better though. I refuse to believe that Warp Ammo is actually as good as they say it is. I'm confused as to why Cryo Ammo is supposed to be good. Pissed that Disruptor Ammo doesn't rip through Barriers as well. And Reave... its very good, but I'm not sure exactly how good.

SlickVic

Only a few squad mates recruited so far but I'm starting to get hooked. Really wish I had a solid week off to play this right now rather than trying to squeeze in a good 2-3 hours of playtime before bed.

Only thing been annoying me is the loading times. I'll have to try that 1 core trick posted above though I'm not sure how well my rig can play this off 1 core.

mYm|17|

Vanguard is uber tough to play on Insanity.

I rarely use charge unless I wanna get out of a jam. I don't use my shotgun at all really.
Biotics are pretty shitty unless you get to their health bar and on insanity, they usually have barrier/armor/health bars.

I am not doing TOO bad................:lol . I am on Horizon right now and I finished most of the dossiers. Still need to get Thane though as I saved him for last to do.

DY_nasty

Killthee said:
I'm guessing you need to level it up to be able to do that? The only time I seem to be able to Charge is when an enemy is close enough to charge into....can't seem to be able to charge away though.... : /
When I 'charge away' I'm just charging away from the badass that its in my immediate vicinity to an enemy thats a bit weaker and less threatening. The lesser of two evils in a way. Also, after each charge you get a significant shield boost (or HUGE shield boost if lvl 4) and slowed down time for you to do what you need to do. Its a great strategy until the mechs decide they want to ruin your day.

Swag

DY_nasty said:
Slam isn't bad. It does a bunch of things at once. Removes dude from cover, floats their head just perfect for headshots, warp, etc. Then pins them to the ground for a while allowing you to work around them.

I wish I could understand some of the other skills a bit better though. I refuse to believe that Warp Ammo is actually as good as they say it is. I'm confused as to why Cryo Ammo is supposed to be good. Pissed that Disruptor Ammo doesn't rip through Barriers as well. And Reave... its very good, but I'm not sure exactly how good.

Maybe because I played an Adept I didn't get much use out of it, but I just preferred to use Pull to get people out of cover. Never failed me, except when they had shields. At that point I'd just warp the shit out of them :lol.

Warp Ammo is pretty excellent, improves the damage of your warp against shields A Lot, with Heavy Warp / level 3 warp ammo I was taking out some commando shields with one warp usage. Of course mechs and
Harbinger's
are a bit tougher.

I didn't get the chance to use reave that often, Samara wasn't in my party many times because of the biotic overlap. Having Garrus, Thane and Adept Shepherd in party was unfair because of the Warp / Shredder / Ammo piercing rounds combo.

Xevren

hermit7 said:
How the hell do you find the Volus chit?
I talked to everyone and looked but I can't find the thing.

Also the
Crate mission
is bullshit.

The shop owner near where the volus was talking to the quarian/officer has it.

Brashnir

Killthee said:
I got the 360 version, but afaik, all versions have content "locked". You need to redeem the Cerberus Network Access code at the BioWare Social site for the "free" DLC (the 11th character, the driverable vehicle coming out next week, etc...). Other in game DLC like the CE Armor & Rifle and the Incisor Sniper also have to be redeem at the Social before you can download them.

Thanks. I guess I get to save my money then.

Van Owen

Banned
SlickVic said:
Only a few squad mates recruited so far but I'm starting to get hooked. Really wish I had a solid week off to play this right now rather than trying to squeeze in a good 2-3 hours of playtime before bed.

Only thing been annoying me is the loading times. I'll have to try that 1 core trick posted above though I'm not sure how well my rig can play this off 1 core.
You immediately change it back to two before briging the game back up.

DY_nasty

Sebulon3k said:
Maybe because I played an Adept I didn't get much use out of it, but I just preferred to use Pull to get people out of cover. Never failed me, except when they had shields. At that point I'd just warp the shit out of them :lol.

Warp Ammo is pretty excellent, improves the damage of your warp against shields A Lot, with Heavy Warp / level 3 warp ammo I was taking out some commando shields with one warp usage. Of course mechs and
Harbinger's
are a bit tougher.

I didn't get the chance to use reave that often, Samara wasn't in my party many times because of the biotic overlap. Having Garrus, Thane and Adept Shepherd in party was unfair because of the Warp / Shredder / Ammo piercing rounds combo.
See, I beat the game with an import Infiltrator after getting everyone's bonus skill
Except Legion, I sold him off for $$
. Now I'm playing with another import, and much to my surprise, I get all the bonus skills from that first playthrough even though it was from a separate character - and a ton of resources to boot.

I never got a chance to use Reave that much since Tali was the queen of crowd control and as I was putting together my Vanguard when I thought that I'd give it a try then. So far its VERY good since I haven't even got it past level one. It cripples any biological (also gives you a nice health boost while they're crippled - works great for vanguard players) and stops any non-boss synthetic in its tracks. Does okay to decent damage against barries, hits armor pretty hard. Stops regen too. Relatively low cooldown... its worthless against shields though.

I'm probably going to invest in Warp Ammo for next character though.

Note: Tech Drones don't suck. At level 4, an explosive Tech Drone is the end of all of your problems with husks or rapidly advancing enemies. Just make sure that its Tali's drone - not yours, because the cooldown on that power is a BITCH.

Facism

Is there any tweaking to be had in ini files or anything like that? The PC version is really lacking in graphical options, just crap like cinematic lights etc.

Also, Charge fully upgraded so time slows down when you hit, plus taking barrier as a skill = carnage. Really satisfying playing as Vanguard. First thing i do in a fight is find the furthes group of enemies and just charge, melee and unload the SMG into them. Rest get caught in a crossfire between me and the other 2 characters.

hermit7

DY_nasty said:
Note: Tech Drones don't suck. At level 4, an explosive Tech Drone is the end of all of your problems with husks or rapidly advancing enemies. Just make sure that its Tali's drone - not yours, because the cooldown on that power is a BITCH.

Husks are no problem at all in this game. Shockwave annihilates them. Now that I think about it Shockwave is my go too power due to it's overall effectiveness.

DY_nasty

hermit7 said:
Husks are no problem at all in this game. Shockwave annihilates them. Now that I think about it Shockwave is my go too power due to it's overall effectiveness.
Just sayin, there's a mission late in the game where you're literally swamped in Husks and Abominations. For some, the best option may be in dropping an explosive drone and letting it draw most of the horde while you pick them all off from a safe distance. After its hard enough, it'll explode doing awesome damage to any bosses that may be there :)D )and sending most of the husks off into the stars team rocket style.

Edit: Husks own me btw. Maybe its just me, but holy fuck why don't headshots do them dirty like everyone else?

Kabouter

DY_nasty said:
Just sayin, there's a mission late in the game where you're literally swamped in Husks and Abominations. For some, the best option may be in dropping an explosive drone and letting it draw most of the horde while you pick them all off from a safe distance. After its hard enough, it'll explode doing awesome damage to any bosses that may be there :)D )and sending most of the husks off into the stars team rocket style.

Edit: Husks own me btw. Maybe its just me, but holy fuck why don't headshots do them dirty like everyone else?
Nuke gun is your friend :p. Tried it for the first time during that mission, effectiveness came as quite a shock :lol

Shinjitsu

Banned
DY_nasty said:

Throw also destroys husks, I used the wide area throw on my adept in my first run, made those areas a breeze.

mYm|17|

hermit7 said:

Oh good deal, will try that on them since they raped Grunt and Garrus

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What's the money situation like in the game? Is it possible to purchase all the upgrades, or do you need to stick with specific guns?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
firehawk12 said:
What's the money situation like in the game? Is it possible to purchase all the upgrades, or do you need to stick with specific guns?

Mix and match, you'll often find upgrades that can be done by the mineral resources too, and a bunch at the shops, but yeah the one's at the shop are pretty damn expensive, it's really hard to buy 'em all.

Dax01 said:
Having had time for it to gel, I still really like the that
the Collectors are enslaved Protheans. Awesome twist.

Yeah that and realizing that
The collector leader himself was under the reaper "Harbinger"'s control the whole time, that was something I totally glossed over the first time through lol.

Dries

LocoMrPollock said:
Also, it was weird that I don't have any Mass Effect 1 saves on my HDD but I was still able to import my last save game from 5/08. So uhh, where was it saved at?

I had this too. Wtf. Anyone know where those saves were stored?

Btw, I love the downtoning of the RPG element. It's more like an adventure game now.

JoeBoy101

Sebulon3k said:
What's up with the Illusive Man's eyes, is he some kind of cyborg? Their always reflecting something.

Take a closer look. His eyes are reticles. Its not reflections but light emanating from his eyes.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
First quest completed; Archangel.

This game is fucking amazing.

Darklord

Banned
I love the level od detail in this game. The ship actually has toilets and sleeping quarters. That always bugged me the first time.:lol

Omega is amazing. Just...damn.

One thing I'm not liking is the squad mates don't chime in much. In Dragon Age they were VERY vocal but in this it seems I've heard maybe...3 sentences so far out of direct dialog with that character.

Cetra

Darklord said:
One thing I'm not liking is the squad mates don't chime in much. In Dragon Age they were VERY vocal but in this it seems I've heard maybe...3 sentences so far out of direct dialog with that character.

Thats one thing I'm missing A LOT in ME2. Though the game play and level design in vastly superior to the first ME, it seems the characterization has suffered quite a bit. The loyalty missions are cool for that, but once they're done it seems you've learned all you're going to learn about that team member.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Darklord said:
I love the level od detail in this game. The ship actually has toilets and sleeping quarters. That always bugged me the first time.:lol

Omega is amazing. Just...damn.

I found areas that you could inspect that triggered dialog for diffrent party members, some were quite good/entertaining. But I do agree, I wish there was a little more banter.
With that said, I did enjoy the battle cries and comments quite a bit.

Coxswain

Goddamnit, how much Paragon do you need to (Zaeed loyalty mission)
talk some sense into Zaeed if Vido gets away
?

I'm sitting on this and I still can't get that option to show up.

Darklord

Banned
EatChildren said:
First quest completed; Archangel.

This game is fucking amazing.

My only issue is they kinda ruined the mission. Ooooh who could this Archangel person be? Oh right, they said in the trailers.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Somewhat random.. but there is a song that plays in Shepard's quarters that sounds like the music from Need for Speed High Stakes menus. I spent like 5 minutes trying to figure out why it was familiar.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
SlickVic said:

I wishi could take a week off just to play this game.

Oh my amazon code just came in but I'm on my way to work now

Lotan

Just finished another 4 hour stint and man is this game DEEP. You can turn your hyperbole filter on now but damn is every little peace of dialog a joy to experience. I really like the Mordin line, so many decisions the charater has made affect the galaxy.

The cut-scene paragon/rebel interrupts are awesome. You really never know what Shepard is going to do. I definitely didn't think the rebel interrupt with the reporter chick was going to go the way it did.

I was expecting him to shoot the camera, but to punch the chick in the face, that's cold-blooded.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Darklord said:
My only issue is they kinda ruined the mission. Ooooh who could this Archangel person be? Oh right, they said in the trailers.

Yeah, the spoiled it, and that was the reason I went for it first :p. But I didnt know about the way it ends. It was also really well paced and had tones of cool little moments. Plus Omega is awesome to boot.

MMaRsu

Lotan said:
Just finished another 4 hour stint and man is this game DEEP. You can turn your hyperbole filter on now but damn is every little peace of dialog a joy to experience. I really like the Mordin line, so many decisions the charater has made affect the galaxy.

The cut-scene paragon/rebel interrupts are awesome. You really never know what Shepard is going to do. I definitely didn't think the rebel interrupt with the reporter chick was going to go the way it did.

I was expecting him to shoot the camera, but to punch the chick in the face, that's cold-blooded.

Did you play the first game at all? He does the same thing..

-edit- I didn't know who Archangel was at all, I was surprised to see him ^^.

Woohoo. The CE showed up on Game again, and I was able to get an order in. :D

(It's not a good price, but I don't care... I was massively pissed off at the thought of missing it)

Chinner

Banned
Psychotext said:
Woohoo. The CE showed up on Game again, and I was able to get an order in. :D

(It's not a good price, but I don't care... I was massively pissed off at the thought of missing it)
and just imagine, i woulld of spent that much if it had appeared 5 days ago. still, saved 20 quid so im alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom